Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

U.S. FIRST STRIKE
USSR FIRST STRIKE
NATO / WARSAW PACT
FAR EAST STRATEGY
US USSR ESCALATION
MIDDLE EAST WAR
USSR CHINA ATTACK
INDIA PAKISTAN WAR
MEDITERRANEAN WAR
HONGKONG VARIANT
SEATO DECAPITATING
CUBAN PROVOCATION
ATLANTIC HEAVY
CUBAN PARAMILITARY
NICARAGUAN PREEMPTIVE
PACIFIC TERRITORIAL
BURMESE THEATERWIDE
TURKISH DECOY
ANGENTINA ESCALATION
ICELAND MAXIMUM
ARABIAN THEATERWIDE
U.S. SUBVERSION
AUSTRALIAN MANEUVER
SUDAN SURPRISE
NATO TERRITORIAL
ZAIRE ALLIANCE
ICELAND INCIDENT
ENGLISH ESCALATION
MIDDLE EAST HEAVY
MEXICAN TAKEOVER
CHAD ALERT
SAUDI MANEUVER
AFRICAN TERRITORIAL
ETHIOPIAN ESCALATION
TURKISH HEAVY
NATO INCURSION
U.S. DEFENSE
CAMBODIAN HEAVY
PACT MEDIUM
ARCTIC MINIMAL
MEXICAN DOMESTIC
TAIWAN THEATERWIDE
PACIFIC MANEUVER
PORTUGAL REVOLUTION
ALBANIAN DECOY
PALESTINIAN LOCAL
MOROCCAN MINIMAL
BAVARIAN DIVERSITY
CZECH OPTION
FRENCH ALLIANCE
ARABIAN CLANDESTINE
GABON REBELLION
NORTHERN MAXIMUM
DANISH PARAMILITARY
SEATO TAKEOVER
HAWAIIAN ESCALATION
IRANIAN MANEUVER
NATO CONTAINMENT
SWISS INCIDENT
CUBAN MINIMAL
CHAD ALERT
ICELAND ESCALATION
VIETNAMESE RETALIATIO
SYRIAN PROVOCATION
LIBYAN LOCAL
GABON TAKEOVER
ROMANIAN WAR
MIDDLE EAST OFFENSIVE
DENMARK MASSIVE
CHILE CONFRONTATION
S.AFRICAN SUBVERSION
USSR ALERT
NICARAGUAN THRUST
GREENLAND DOMESTIC
ICELAND HEAVY
KENYA OPTION
PACIFIC DEFENSE
UGANDA MAXIMUM
THAI SUBVERSION
ROMANIAN STRIKE
PAKISTAN SOVEREIGNTY
AFGHAN MISDIRECTION
ETHIOPIAN LOCAL
ITALIAN TAKEOVER
VIETNAMESE INCIDENT
ENGLISH PREEMPTIVE
DENMARK ALTERNATE
THAI CONFRONTATION
TAIWAN SURPRISE
BRAZILIAN STRIKE
VENEZUELA SUDDEN
MAYLASIAN ALERT
ISREAL DISCRETIONARY
LIBYAN ACTION
PALISTINIAN TACTICAL
NATO ALTERNATE
CYPRESS MANEUVER
EGYPT MISDIRECTION
BANGLADESH THRUST
KENYA DEFENSE
BANGLADESH CONTAINMENT
VIETNAMESE STRIKE
ALBANIAN CONTAINMENT
GABON SURPRISE
IRAQ SOVEREIGNTY
VIETNAMESE SUDDEN
LEBANON INTERDICTION
TAIWAN DOMESTIC
ALGERIAN SOVEREIGNTY
ARABIAN STRIKE
ATLANTIC SUDDEN
MONGOLIAN THRUST
POLISH DECOY
ALASKAN DISCRETIONARY
CANADIAN THRUST
ARABIAN LIGHT
S.AFRICAN DOMESTIC
TUNISIAN INCIDENT
MALAYSIAN MANEUVER
JAMAICA DECOY
MALAYSIAN MINIMAL
RUSSIAN SOVEREIGNTY
CHAD OPTION
BANGLADESH WAR
BURMESE CONTAINMENT
ASIAN THEATERWIDE
BULGARIAN CLANDESTINE
GREENLAND INCURSION
EGYPT SURGICAL
CZECH HEAVY
TAIWAN CONFRONTATION
GREENLAND MAXIMUM
UGANDA OFFENSIVE
CASPIAN DEFENSE

OP is off to a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

The Missile
https://youtu.be/bZe5J8SVCYQ

There is a Bear in the Woods
https://youtu.be/o7EJMyL6htw

There Will Come Soft Rains
https://youtu.be/5LNHYz89sNc

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 13, 2020

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

C-SPAM will be recognized by historians as a national treasure:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Revolutions provide a great environment for narcissistic sociopaths to quickly rise through the ranks, and scheme their way to the top.

I don't know if there has been any serious scholarly work that attempts to view the rise of Stalin or Mao or Kim through that lens, or whether doing that is even feasible, but it makes the most sense to me.

That doesn't mean they considered themselves frauds, quite the opposite - of course a narcissist would believe only they could lead their nation to greatness.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

zoux posted:

The idea of field amputations has hosed me up since I saw Dances with Wolves and learned such things happened.

Before anesthetics were a thing, the trick was to be quick about it. Reportedly, Larrey performed 200 amputations within 24 hours during the battle of Berezina.

He also performed a pre-anaesthetic mastectomy on Frances Burney, who wrote a letter about the experience.

I mounted, therefore, unbidden, the Bed stead – & M. Dubois placed me upon the Mattress, & spread a cambric handkerchief upon my face. It was transparent, however, & I saw, through it, that the Bed stead was instantly surrounded by the 7 men & my nurse. I refused to be held; but when, Bright through the cambric, I saw the glitter of polished Steel – I closed my Eyes. I would not trust to convulsive fear the sight of the terrible incision. Yet – when the dreadful steel was plunged into the breast – cutting through veins – arteries – flesh – nerves – I needed no injunctions not to restrain my cries. I began a scream that lasted unintermittingly during the whole time of the incision – & I almost marvel that it rings not in my Ears still? so excruciating was the agony. When the wound was made, & the instrument was withdrawn, the pain seemed undiminished, for the air that suddenly rushed into those delicate parts felt like a mass of minute but sharp & forked poniards, that were tearing the edges of the wound. I concluded the operation was over – Oh no! presently the terrible cutting was renewed – & worse than ever, to separate the bottom, the foundation of this dreadful gland from the parts to which it adhered – Again all description would be baffled – yet again all was not over, – Dr. Larry rested but his own hand, & – Oh heaven! – I then felt the knife (rack)ling against the breast bone – scraping it!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

Ah, duh. Yeah okay I should've guessed that, that's not quite as bad as I was afraid, I thought the doc would be tying a knot in it or something horrid.

Ambroise Paré (re)introduced ligature into Western Medicine in the 16th Century, before that the practice was to cauterize bleeding with a red-hot iron. That didn't always work.

Edit: Boy, is reading up on the history of surgery fun.

quote:

Paré was also an important figure in the progress of obstetrics in the middle of the 16th century. He revived the practice of podalic version, and showed how even in cases of head presentation, surgeons with this operation could often deliver the infant safely, instead of having to dismember the infant and extract the infant piece by piece.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 20, 2021

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

The big break-through for barber-surgeons' esteem was in the 17th century, when Charles-François Felix successfully treated the anal fistula of the French king. He practiced on condemned prisoners for months beforehand, to develop the necessary knowledge and instruments.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I got in touch with David Mace and told him a forum full of goons still reads and recommends his books. He was astonished and moved, he thought of himself as a totally forgotten writer

Hey, that's awesome! A few years ago, I bought all his books second-hand thanks to the repeated discussion of Fire Lance on SA. Now you've reminded me that I still have three of them left to read. Had you read Demon-4 before you wrote your Cephalopod Command story, or was that just a coincidence? Thanks for letting us know you reached out to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

priznat posted:

Soooo Russia and its satellites are going for air piracy now, cool. Cool cool cool.

Suwalki is the new Fulda.