Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

Mortabis posted:

Solar and wind are not practical sources of baseload power. Nuclear power is. Nuclear accidents are extremely uncommon and have caused very few casualties.

baseload power isn't what you think it is. it's the minimum demand on the system required to keep large power plants economical to operate, not the minimum required supply.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-10-12/renewable-energy-baseload-power/9033336

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

clearly a brown water airforce

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

Phanatic posted:

“The baseload[1] (also base load) on a grid is the minimum level of demand on an electrical grid over a span of time, for example, one week.”

provided for contrast to the other article, sorry for not making that clear.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

yeah the p51 has the cool story about packard telling rolls-royce their plans were too imprecise and couldn't be used for mass production.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

fartknocker posted:

Wasn’t Ridgeway or one of the other post-MacArthur commanders in Korea known for doing that too?

I've heard Montgomery wore a pair of grenades, but I can't find a picture so maybe that's bullshit.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

Schadenboner posted:

These doggos dingos know , ammirite?

if that's in thailand those aren't dingoes.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

Nebakenezzer posted:

I found something

While this comes from EnglishRussia.com and was probably *not* an actual project beyond an engineering doodle, I give you: ekranoplan aircraft carrier!

With swing wings, no less. Imagine 8 GE 90s driving the thing.

it's from a charles stross book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_Gap

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

priznat posted:

Any Aussies want to comment on why you guys gave the friggin army submarines?!? They must be so confused and scared in those!!!

the 9 news reporters were trained wrong, as a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

strewth

Mortabis posted:

If you're not willing to bomb an apartment block, anyone can set up weapons, headquarters, whatever else in apartment blocks and they will be immune to attack.

comic of course overlooks the reality that Israel started the violence but is otherwise accurate