Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
It's interesting how France is unscaved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I’ve always thought no first use policies are the political equivalent of patting yourself on the back

It matters for China though because only they can ostensibly use conventional ICBMs in a conflict without prompting a response.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

Vs who?

Presumably the United States to keep their carrier battlegroups at arms reach.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Using a conventional ICBM would be so loving dumb on so many levels

It's a strategy the PLA has been committing its entire force structure around for years now, they seem pretty confident it is in fact not dumb, but probably actually extremely effective at blunting American force projection in their backyard.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

bewbies posted:

The DF-31/41 are not intended to be used with conventional warheads. Chinese policy to employ them only in retaliation; any situation in which they're launched will be treated like a full blown nuclear strike.

I appear to be thinking of the DF-21D (CSS-5 Mod-4) Anti-ship ballistic missile.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

Well, if velocity equals distance over time we simply need to divi-

What the hell is this from.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To be clear though Iraq was definitely not using Soviet doctrine, at least according to that one paper I read that got linked here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Polyakov posted:

A very interesting view is that Russia sees this as several opportunities to settle scores. The first is that it gets to stick Saudi Arabia for what they did in 1985, which was during the height of Afghanistan when the soviets were bleeding cash and needed it to buy everything their economy needed. In brief Saudi arabia spiked production there which cratered oil income ruining both Iran and the USSR at a stroke. This is a really really big reason why the Soviet economy just fell over at that point and never recovered.

The second is that the Russians are really sore about US sanctions on their energy companies and so are trying to hammer US shale production whose production costs are significantly higher than just pumping it out the ground.

Historically trying to punish Saudi Arabia by tanking oil prices hasnt really worked, they had the cheapest extraction, some of the highest production potential. However right now they are up to their tits in Yemen in a very expensive war, their public spending and borrowing rates are increasing at a very alarming rate. Saudi Arabia needs oil prices to be at around the $80-85 per barrel level in order to balance its books, Russia at this stage needs it around $50 which is the lowest its ever been. So Putin seems to be of a view that he can win a price war long term and displace a lot of Saudi influence in the oil market, with the side benefit of hurting expensive producers like US shale and use the opportunity to settle a few scores while he is at it.

This is all set against a backdrop of a forecast significant drop in demand due to virus poo poo which will mean that its unlikely theres as large a takeup of cheap oil as there would have been in the past, because what do people actually want to do with it? Saudi Arabia are retaliating by going even deeper because its what they have always done in this situation. The Russians had to know this was coming as their response and think they can still win. I have no idea whether they can or not but i guess we will see.

Well that's interesting, I thought it was a matter of them being kinda desperate because of their own financial woes but it's interesting if this is actually a opportune time in which to put the screws to Saudi Arabia.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Scratch Monkey posted:

I thought Mao was definitely not a fan of throwing men into a meat grinder to win ways, at least during the civil war. His doctrine was to only fight when the odds were in his favor and to cede land instead of spend lives because while land can be retaken soldiers aren’t as easy to get back

This changed a bit during the Korean War because of the political optics of taking/holding Seoul ended up overpowering his military sense that normally would have dictated his actions to have withdrawn to better positions instead of wasting men and material on a doomed operation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The thing about Mao is that he has had a very interesting sort of career that's very easy to draw comparisons with confucian narratives. Like if you compare him with Admiral Yi, they have some similar story arcs. Frequently arriving just in time to save the day, only to be sidelined after by the establishment career politicians who then beg for him to come back and give him renewed powers to save them, rinse and repeat until he was too powerful for them to sideline again.

I don't really know anything about Stalin's early career but Mao more or less single handedly saved the Chinese revolution not just once but several times throughout the entire Jiangxi Soviet republic period and then the Long March afterwards.

You can easily see how someone who not only experiences super success, but that success was a result of others loving up and you bailing them out of their own mess not once but repeatedly, maybe you didn't start out being a narcissist but I can see how it goes your head over time. Especially after 1949.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cyrano4747 posted:

I love Ennis' Punisher Max. I'm utterly unashamed to say I enjoy that particular revenge / power fantasy escapism.

The problem comes in when people get idiotic about what they like and make it a defining part of their character. I also like beer, but I'm not an alcoholic; I also like Disney cartoons, but I'm not a furry; I also like guns, but I'm not in a militia; etc.

One of these is kinda not like the others, lets not be unfair here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

xthetenth posted:

This is literally the XB-70, down to the first flight in 1964.

Alternately if you make the argument that the kinematic benefits to the AGM-69 from being launched at mach 3 let a load of four of them be worth one 6,5000 pound nuclear bomb/missile, let me tell you about the hypothetical bomber version of the SR-71, which first flew in 1964!

https://baloogancampaign.com/2014/10/11/strategic-aspect-supercruising-flight/

Who doesn't want to lob a 'short ranged' missile 514 nm?

Downside is three man crew, but just have two fly in formation, it's fine.

This is also the premise behind The Big One by Stuart Slade.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I also think in regards to the carrier being on fire that the Chinese are taking their naval build up extremely seriously and will investigate extensively why this fire happened and what measures can be figured out to improve practices.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been to the factory where they make those turret things, albeit as a kid.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Most people I've talked to who are true believers in cryptocurrency tend to support it because of the *US's* monetary policies, i.e sanctions on Venezuela and so on. Not because China and Venezuela have those restrictions.

On twitter from what I've seen, it's more of a proxy for anarcho beliefs, not because of some vague utility, which when you delve into their reasons almost always seem to be criminal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Remember how in Wargames the Soviets somehow had 100 Typhoon's surrounding the continental USA?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Captain von Trapp posted:

"No first use" policies are only meaningful as long as the nation claiming the policy can't credibly strike first. Once you get a few boomers it's basically just how much you trust the person with the button.

I believe this has been debated extensively in this thread that China's NFU relies on a large number of specific aspects that make it considerably more credible than one may expect. Such as for example, a smaller arsenal.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

That legitimately looks photoshopped to me, I am shocked if that's real.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BIG HEADLINE posted:

China doesn't have to invade Taiwan.

All China has ever had to do is make sure that if Taiwan ever decided to force the point of autonomous sovereignty or formally reject being part of "One China," that they could - conventionally and methodically - destroy everything of value on the island a piece at a time, which is well within their capabilities and has been for quite some time.

Additionally they can siege the island and keep the US naval at arms length away in ways they couldn't dream of 30 years ago. Imagine parking the 7th fleet in between the mainland and Taiwan today.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Murgos posted:

Yeah, the issue of Taiwanese independence essentially moots itself if Taiwan develops a credible second strike nuclear deterrent.

People think it moots itself, and its tempting to look at the Iran, Ukraine and Libya examples and extrapolate to that conclusion, but I think there's a bit of circular reasoning/begging the question. Since you're mentally starting from, "I don't want X invaded, nuclear weapons are scary, ergo a nation with nuclear weapons will be scary and not be invaded!" but this isn't really the whole story.

For one thing I imagine Taiwan deciding to go down that path probably immediately triggers a military response from the PRC, which is the one thing we're positing here that Taiwan is willing to spend billions of dollars to avoid happening; which means it very specifically failed at the primary goal having nuclear weapons was suppose to result in!

People talk about how if the US was to ever lose merely a single aircraft carrier the perpetuity is eating a full nuclear response; or a single city. Even if we assume this isn't widespread as a belief and isn't policy, the fact is, if we assume that this was US policy, why would it be ridiculous that Taiwan using a small nuclear response (and it will likely be small, Taiwan is not breaking out MIRVs after testing its first atomic in anything approaching "fast" or "soon") might also invite a reprisal that would harm Taiwan far more than it can harm the PRC? We enter into many of the same arguments as to why Ukraine retaining the arsenal it inherited from the USSR wasn't feasible and honestly many of them would still apply today; and Russia sending in little green men honestly hasn't budged that calculus at all.

Ultimately will Taiwan be willing to not only undergo the expense of acquiring not only the warheads, but also the redundancy to insure delivery and their security and maintenance? Especially if doing so comes with additional economic costs like the loss of trade because of sanctions?

It's not really a good idea.

Also mirv's I think nowadays tend to be much smaller yields, 200,000 to 300,000 kt not mt yields; as accuracy goes up, yields go down and I'm not sure if you can really have both mirv warheads and high yields effectively without sacrificing something.

Also Taiwan is probably the *easiest* case scenario for an ABM, since they would be unlikely to acquire the number of warheads to effectively saturate countermeasures, are a small geographical area which limits the space a warhead would travel, and due to similar cultures probably the easiest situation to infiltrate and get accurate up to date information on capability, location, readiness, and so on.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 27, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

Taiwan finishing a nuclear armament program would be great for Taiwan's strategic position. Beginning a nuclear armament program though...

I would argue that either of those are equally bad for Taiwan with no real upside except in a narrow focused spectrum of possibilities that are unlikely to be realistic to depend on.

For example. Would Taiwan decide it should use nuclear weapons in response to a blockade ala Cuban Missile Crisis 2.0 Nuclear Boogaloo? If not, then nuclear weapons were useless and just paints a target on them.

There's a lot of things China could do that would make Taiwan considerably worse off but not prompt a nuclear response; or more specifically, that it could do without expecting a nuclear response.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nebakenezzer posted:

This time the shipyard is in BC. And perversely, the Quebec shipyard is the only one doing things on time and on budget, which of course is why the fed fought tooth and nail to keep them from contributing

I swear to god how do we afford to spend so much on basically a single ship. Isn't that like, a 1 million$ missile to take it out? Or mission kill it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Right I don't doubt that, it just feels like we're spending a lot on something that feels very "all eggs in one basket"-y, such that our ability to do the above and have that capability are at risk because of the cost, should an accident or attrition occurs and hamper our ability to contribute to a multinational mission. Having something to do the things we want is definitely important, I many pages ago even argued that military spending as a jobs program has utility so on various angles I'm on board for spending money for something; my concerns rests on the concern that we're spending a lot, on something that by virtue of its cost, will actually limit how we use it because then it becomes too big to use in a remotely dangerous theater.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Usually two comparable peer powers going to war is damaging to both I don't think is too controversial.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PittTheElder posted:

It makes no difference whatsoever how much they cost, the ship is not the point. The point is to shovel money into the shipbuilding industry for purely political reasons.

As I later clarified, I really want it to be the case that the ship, it's capabilities, the way it fits in our strategic posture and in relation to the bigger picture when cooperating with our allies, all meet and exceed every requirement and expectation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TTerrible posted:

I have no idea about DBZ so I might be seeing something that is just cartoon camo but is whatever he is wearing supposed to be uh, watermelon type pattern?

For some reason it seems like a weird combination of Mr. Popo (who is kinda problematic) and Cell; Cell is like a genetically engineered mutant alien creature, like Lavos's true form in Chrono Trigger (same artist). So it's just like, an insectoid carapace type deal.

e: damnit beaten like Gohan who refused to dodge.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Warbadger posted:

Now that is something to watch carefully. China has been pushing pretty hard to grab up bits of India and Bhutan as part of their mission to grab bits of land from literally every single neighboring state (and also some that aren't neighbors) and it seems they're escalating things again.

China is neighboured on land, by 14 nations and only has had disputes recently with just two or so regarding the direct land border. So no, not literally every state; putting aside disputes like the Sino-Soviet border conflicts or the earlier Sino-Indian war where they were far more arguably in the right. I don't think there's any need to be scaremongering.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Warbadger posted:

Why yes, if you discount most of the border disputes that China actually does have with literally every single neighbor and only count the ones they're currently sending in troops to steal land (but not water) from, it does look less worrying! But when you consider they have border disputes with 18 countries despite only bordering 14 and they're actively engaged in the military occupation of several of those areas right now it actually is pretty worrying!

Nations have border disputes all the time, the same way people and corporate entities engage in litigation all the time. Conflating merely having what is essentially a legal dispute between two sovereign entities with disputes that have resulted in violence is scaremongering.

You'd be surprised to know what other nations also have border disputes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
^ this.

Memento posted:

Oh so they're only in actual disputes with their neighbours who happen to be nuclear armed, and you consider this information to be reassuring.

Canada also has border disputes with a nation that is nuclear armed, in fact it is in dispute with at least two nations who are nuclear armed. There are in fact a very large number of nations with territorial disputes with a given nuclear armed power; for many years if not decades and in some cases more than 100 years. Singling out China isn't rational.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Memento posted:

We're not singling out China for having border disputes with nuclear powers, we're singling out China for having border disputes with nuclear powers that degenerate into people being beaten to death with rocks and batons.

That isn't what's being disputed, what's being disputed is Warbadger's exaggerating the scale of the problem to include things that aren't violent or weren't actually instigated by China and things that are just normal nation-state bs.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Memento posted:

You're saying that China's border disputes are normal and just a cost of doing business in the modern globalised world. China is, however, grabbing as much land as it can and beating people to death on its borders and this is a fact you're deciding is not worth engaging with.

Like, you've decided that the issue of people being beaten to death and its potential to start a major conflict is not the issue. It's some astonishingly adept blinker mentality.

No one is condoning anything, I am criticizing exaggerations that go from criticizing a bad thing, to scaremongering.

Warbadger posted:

Now that is something to watch carefully. China has been pushing pretty hard to grab up bits of India and Bhutan as part of their mission to grab bits of land from literally every single neighboring state (and also some that aren't neighbors) and it seems they're escalating things again.

This isn't to say that they aren't engaging in a border dispute with India, only that to say "Literally every nation" is alarmist and eye rolling.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Memento posted:

Look I don't want to be the one to say it, but it seems like your issue is with the rhetoric used by posters in this thread, as opposed to the actions taken by sovereign nations that have ended multiple lives.

I'm clearly objecting to the factual matter at hand that China is not literally in dispute with all 14 nations on its land borders?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

The Communist Party of China is quite bad.

They do have a record of kicking India's rear end in border conflicts.

But the veteran PLA officer corps that ran two tank divisions into Indian territory with minimal resistance is all dead and retired.

IIRC the 1962 Sino-Indian conflict was fought by veteran mountaineer troops who fought in Korea; troops who were well acclimated to mountain warfare in the harsh elements while the Indian troops were... not... Additionally I believe it was largely a regimental level affair. The total forces were 80,000 for the *theater* but based on what I remember I think most of the maneuver (why does firefox not think this is a word?) elements were smaller formations.

Presumably in the 60ish years since then the Indian military had more time to train and build up infrastructure to the region and train, so that's going to make things more even overall all things considered.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Iran feels like it has the Tony Stark of aerospace industries in their ability to create solutions from limited resources.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I actually tried to find that shovel on Amazon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fearless posted:

Your local surplus store undoubtedly has them, or something very close to it.

Yeah but it's funnier if I can hold it up and go, "This is my Chinese army shovel."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So how does radio signals and intercepts works. If you have like, a submarine that sends messages back home to HQ, and vice versa, how are these broadcasted and how do they get intercepted for decryption? Particularly lets say in the 40's to 60's.

Is it like a tight beam that you basically have to be in the right place at the right time to intercept/jam; or does everyone broadcast on particular ranges of frequencies in like a big arc and you just need a receiver somewhere in range to listen in?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gnoman posted:

In WWII, it was simple omnidirectional radio broadcast. A lot of boats were lost bcause Britain had managed to squeeze intercept gear down to something you could fit on a DD, and standard practice was to radio in a contact report so more boats could vector in on a convoy. This wouldn't allow decryptio n or triangulation, but you would get a warning of the nearby sub and a bearing.

What levels of command would bother to enigma encrypt, presumably the point of enigma was for quick usage, so down to the battalion level? Company level? Were their radio transmissions also omnidirectional? Could you get an idea for how many divisions were active in your sector just from radio density or something like that?

Were the radios different for say, a U-Boat to Berlin vs a panzer battalion to division/army hq?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Electric Wrigglies posted:

^that is a huge subject you have just asked about^ I think you will have to do some general reading as you seem to be asking for general knowledge.

Iron Coffins is an enjoyable read about life on U-boats and does cover how deadly the Allies got with DF gear.

An understanding of how radios work and properties of the various frequencies will guide your thinking a lot - for instance, transmitting through water requires low frequency which requires significantly more power and is less directional so only on submarines did you see ULF radios be deployed. Carrying around a multi 100's of kw ULF radio on your back (and its km of aerial) as a foot soldier is not so tenable so UHF is utilized there.

Crypto is its own fascinating story and a story within the fascinating subject of intelligent (a little anecdote the germens had a very skilled radio intercept and analysis group in Africa that helped them clean up the English (via knowing the complete UK order of battle for instance) in the early African campaign but the unit got overrun through good fortune (leading the UK to discover how compromised it had been) and led to the English completely overhauling radio communication procedures. Simple things like confirming who you are talking to on a radio with a code book phrase before you share information or ask (revealing) questions.

Oops, I somehow missed your response! Sorry about that. Thanks for your answer!

To step back a bit, depending on what sort of frequency that was used, as long as you were within range of the broadcast you could could listen in and hear like morse code that you could note down and try to decrypt?

Is Military Communications: From Ancient Times to the 21st Century a good book?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Splode posted:

Short answer: kinda, but not really.

Long answer:
To intercept a radio signal you first need to make sure you physically intercept the beam. If it's being broadcasted with an omnidirectional antenna that's reasonably easy. But if it's a directional antenna it might be considerably harder depending on how tight the beam is.

You now need to know what kind of radio is sending the message and have the right equipment to receive it. If it's 1914 yeah sure just match the frequency easy. Today you've got channel hopping multiband craziness even in civilian radios, so if you're not sure what you're listening for you will not find it, or you'll only intercept part of the signal.

Then you need to know how the signal is modulated onto those frequencies, which if you solved the last problem and know what radio they're using is easy, otherwise it's very hard.

Only now have you got the information in a stream of 1s and 0s (assuming it's a digital signal), and now you have the trivial task of breaking military grade encryption. (Again it also really helps if you know what you're looking for in terms of encryption techniques and signal protocols used) If you have this capability either your target really hosed up or you have the tools to completely break the internet as we know it.

Would it be closer to the WW1 example of "kinda easy" if its WW2 or early cold war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think the problem is the delays don't accomplish anything as the US because there's no end-game; it's either invade, wait until they have nuclear weapons in which case invasion is off the table.

e: Hope this wasn't too political, just speaking to the cost-benefit analysis of what buying a few months is worth.