Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

I cant see an E2C with that antenna and not think “dunce cap”.

CAEWWS's advanced employment course is called TOP DOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

Also our most well-known depiction of a nuclear power plant owner is Mr. Burns.

With a healthy dose of lording over soviet failures.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

We should have some ships sponsored by corporations.

The “Nimitz” sponsored by Amazon! Packages delivered faster than warheads on foreheads!

Save some money on paint at least.

Onion News Network did this but I'm having a hell of a time finding the clip of USS Buffalo Wild Wings.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Can't think of a Star Destroyer with a lame name. Empire is my go-to when something needs a badass name for an exercise or whatever.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Pretty sure Star Destroyer names are all taken from the British Empire.

But the Empire did all the work of culling the Cockchafers and Pansys from the Firestorms and Inexorables so you don't have to.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I misspoke earlier, the Wild Wings thing was duffelblog, not onion.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I went to the P-8's wiki, and it turns out this already happened:

I'm the person who got high enough on his own farts to think that an aurora is a C4ISR platform. I once worked with an E3 dude who went to some conference and encountered a group of CP140 people who thought TCAS gave them the ability to generate an air picture.

Semi-related - how do newer ASW platforms detect subs without MAD booms, generally speaking?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wait, in addition to sub hunting and naval recon, Canada wants to have the next gen act as mini............control centers?

Here's a wild loving idea, guys: how about you find an airframe that can do both, and then buy so many as C4ISR whatev, and so many as doing the CP-140's job

Words that express combat capability in Canada are like words that express political concepts in America. They're just so far divorced from reality that legitimate discourse with the rest of the world is impossible, but homegrown industry takes advantage of it and somehow thrives.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

In conclusion, war is a racket after all

e to avoid sounding too glib - initial F16 run might not be the best example since initially it was a VFR only day fighter, but i deffo saw some of the pork barrel politics at play when some old block AEW aircraft were saved from budgetary obliteration. There was no actual money to upgrade those at the time which meant the wing had to figure out the asspain of having double the training streams/qualifications to juggle, and the previous get well plan of 'FRP excess manning to healthy numbers' was derailed.

I've also heard stories about tanks nobody wants from the army side but those are hearsay.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 12, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Idiot recruit me bought one during basic when we were allowed to make supervised five-minute trips to the exchange. It was mostly garbage ads and I never did it again, but multiply that by a couple thousand idiots a year and it's apparently enough to turn a profit.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Flikken posted:

Was that flight suit ever wearable again after that?

Doesn't need to be worn, it has structural rigidity from all the bodily fluids left inside it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I wonder if there's an element of inducing domestic chaos in the US by giving an economic crisis to exacerbate a burgeoning pandemic. It all but ensures that trump will do some idiot thing that severely damages US interests and credibility, plus more americans die. The GOP and its supporters are a circular human centipede that will swallow any poo poo they're fed, so if they win the election then they'll double down on the the awfullness. If democrats win, the well will be so poisoned that trying to undo the shitshow of the past term will require going by the republican playbook to skirt the obstructionism that will follow. Either way, anything resembling 'reconciliation' in Nov kicked back an election cycle or two at least. At that point you've effectively paralyzed your greatest geopolitical foe and have option superiority, if you get one over on the saudis too it's just a bonus.

e. vvvv
if the cold war never ended does it count?

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 10, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Xakura posted:

To be fair, so does helicopters.

Don't leave out the people who drive them.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

On the topic of re-burying petroproducts: A (seemingly) mostly sane rural guy once told me he had a ton of coal buried in his backyard from one time or another when the price crashed. Said at best it was $200 insurance for 5 years' worth of energy needs in case of service disruption. At worst, he can joke that he has a dinosaur buried in his backyard.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you think radially, every molecule of that leading edge is traveling at a slightly different speed which sounds like an affront to the laws of both god and man.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Any updates on the Roosevelt?

Homeboy got fired.

Every time a western nation does some dumb-gently caress thing like this, it makes me wonder with horror how hosed up the Soviets were to have lost to us.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

piL posted:

Soviet CO would have been afraid to tell his Chain of Command until he got sick himself and was running a skeleton crew. The Soviet CDRE, knowing he should detected the problem and replaced the CO much earlier would TAD new personnel from other ships to keep her underway. The polibeareau officer would have denied there was a contagion, and overruled the COs requests before they ever made it off ship.

Not unimaginable.

To clarify, the dumb fuckery was on the part of those who shot the messenger, not the one raising the alarum.

e. credit where it's due, bravo zulu to the Capt for going out like a hero instead of leaking classified info to his harem in a drug-induced amnesic episode while gambling with public funds or whatever.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 2, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

I'm not an expert on traditions and high level leadership.

Neither are the fuckpile of sycophants and flunkies in the administration.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'd like to imagine that somewhere, a room full of public affair weenies stare dead-eyed at a pile of empty liquor bottles as it dawns on them that they're not part of some glee club, and that ache they're starting to feel in what will soon become a shrunken yellow ball of cirrhosis is what the rest of the armed forces (except maybe the fundie chaplains) have already embraced as a constant companion.

Welcome to the club, PA nerds!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

USS Per My Previous Email

GBU-35v2/A-PMLE

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 16, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's not the most tasteless thing I've seen come outta this, which to date has been 'Chinese Flu' AR-15 magazines.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Depends what your national priorities are. Increased standard of living because a trusted NATO partner nation is willing to have none to subsidize your defense is understandable.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

USAF still does competitive virtualized turkey shoots, so imma go with yes.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mazz posted:

Boeing got a 22.6 billion contract this week for an indefinite number of F-15EX. Minimum of 144, maximum of 200.

How much of the new airframes will be drywall by mass?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

I like how MEO and GEO satellites are hilariously egregiously vulnerable to EW and probably cyber attacks y'all hotly debating nuking them. Sure i could throw this billion dollar weapon at it or I could just launch a few things into LEO that jam it.

GPS satellites can be jammed in a small radius by some chinesium $5 hobby things that can be operated by new jersey truck drivers.

It wouldn't work that way seeing as it's receivers and not transmitters that are targeted for jamming, and we're not talking about monostatic radar sets. I could engineer a scenario where a space based EW payload could be delivered that is capable of messing with GPS-related capabilities, but it won't be a $5 project.

e f b

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 17, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Those cannonballs were about 6 months from being life cycled out of national inventory so we let the lads make some sport.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Better a Hot Zone in a Cold War than the other way around.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Haven't heard that one before but a high power near field of (what is presumably) a HF-UHF range radar will mos def penetrate deep enough to cause tissue damage through absorption. if it was a CW system and not pulsed.

e.

Schadenboner posted:

Maybe it's a misreporting of Anatoli Bugorski getting his head nuked by a particle accelerator?

E: Ivans wouldn't even cover the cost of his Tegretol or whatever?

JFC that is both metal and

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 9, 2020

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Kentucky SPY-1D Chicken

There were a lotta good puns on this page, but this one didn't get enough love.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I think we're supposed to follow Ireland's lead and call it the Irish Slammer.

It's a shame Hebrew Hammer is already taken. Maybe they can make a sequel for the tie-in marketing.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

There was an entire civil war over the concept.

And the cold war's greatest whataboutism, А у вас негров линчуют. Hell, it still applies today.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

But if PAfOs do that, who will watch the jar with a bee in it?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My interest in space force extends as far as the places I'd want to PCS to, so I hope they go with c-springs or ABQ.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

I have yet to be disappointed by a Hilton Garden Inn

An unnamed air force Lt found what must have been the only Hilton without in-room fridges as our detachment found out when we showed up to DM. No way to store fresh food + extended night flying schedule suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Marriott chain is my BFF, the suites are nice for extended stays but I haven't had a bad experience in any of their hotels. Stayed at the huntsville Courtyard last year and it was dope.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

priznat posted:

Further proof that the CF is incapable of ever learning anything is that the new, unproven (on ships) SPY-7 radar is to be installed on the new Canadian Surface Combatant (Type 26) ships

This should go well! It does look like a pretty good system but jesus christ, yet another "work the kinks out as we go" project

If it's just a generational SPY-1 upgrade, we could be doing a lot worse.

sa-8_tied_down_to_fo'c'sle.jpg

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I do firefighting, and according to my chief, insurance companies/investigators are wising up to insurance fraud via 'whoops, left my fritos on the seat surrounded by old receipts'! Don't know the specifics but it has some telltale signs and happened often enough that the market got around to figuring it out, is the impression I got.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The writing surrounding race in general really bugs me in western history books. It really jumped out during re-reading The Pacific this week. I get that the default setting is white, it's really offputting when the only colored people mentioned are stewards, sharpshooting indians, or A Good Japanese. If you want something that doesn't throw 'nip' or 'negro' around, or talk about confederate generals like they're weren't traitorous slavers, you generally have to pick up something very limited in scope.

e. waaayyyy too slow on this one, pretend it shows up after Cyrano's last post about Chuck.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Canada could use a good conflict to smarten up its procurement processes. Maybe the Franco-Canadian War over St Pierre can accomplish what the Dano-Canadian War over Hans Island could not.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

zoux posted:

John le Carré died today.

If that's even his real name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Might as well go for broke if it's going to be the final season. It's gonna take BattleHumans a while to catch up.