Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Chamale posted:

That's the American way.

Where in the rules does it say that you can't fund a junta to depose the executive producers and install a puppet CEO? It's not like we knew the terrorists they disappeared were the competition of our upcoming match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not quite Cold War but definitely Cold War adjacent - US dropped the sanction hammer on Turkey for pressing with the S-400.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

How will we maintain our jingoism gap superiority.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Wait til you hear about the Patriot Act!

My pet theory is that we never gave a gently caress about each other dying, it was just too much of a shock to the conscience for it to have been done by someone swarthy.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

No doubt it was a hit to american psyche more than anything, but using a fever-strain of nationalism to sidestep introspection and the embrace authoritarianism was way more damaging. OBL was very open about his plan for letting the west consume itself so it's not like the ensuing 20 years were unavoidable. Nobody can say for sure what the response would have been if 911 was carried out by (say) orthodox christians or a homegrown waco-style group, but the way that The Other is always castigated en masse for the actions of a few made it a good opportunity to exploit xenophobic calls for bloodlust while enacting some PNAC bullshit to make rich assholes richer instead of letting cooler heads prevail.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It was pretty :stonk: learning about what exactly a Superfund site is during an master's level environmental science course. I learned to fear DU a lot less, but superfund stuff more than made up for it. Oh, and radioactive salt brines used to de-ice roads.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Irradiate them by the sensory organs. When you're a radioisotope, they let you do it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

We might hit Paris Agreement or even Kyoto Accord goals? Maybe?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm imagining the alternate reality where Space Force Base Luna was recently commissioned, meeting fuckboy newt gingrich's 2012 campaign promise. It's actually a slightly saner world!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Never seen that document before but it's a neat find, thanks for finding it. Gives me an itch to buy a bunch of tiny T80s, BMPs, and Hinds to start playing Team Yankee.

I binged the expanse last month with a prime trial last month, but never thought of it in terms of counterforce/countervalue posturing. Thanks, nerds :allears:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Literal Nazis Speer and von Choltitz defied Nero Decrees from a mad king found wanting. As a practical matter I feel it's less likely to occur during peacetime with nukes, though it's probably something that could be a little better defined around the edges, legally speaking.

Even if such collaboration did exist between the speaker and joint chiefs, I can't be mad at Pelosi for demonstrating a modicum of leadership to avoid the potential for a lovely situation. All rules are made up and she's acting in way better faith than team red right now. The political climate of 'one of the two major parties has devolved into a fundamentally dishonest and antidemocratic grift machine' needs to be taken into account. Trump has never been capable of fulfilling the duties of office, which is why we're here.

e. This being in the context of opening cans of sunshine in the next two weeks, not as an escalatory measure for an existing conflict.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 9, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Battle for LA is kinda in the same ball park, it's more interesting than it has any right to be.

:yeah: There were only about 30 seconds of that movie I knew enough about to threaten suspension of disbelief, which is pretty good for hollywood. Guess I'll be firing up Battleship next movie night.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

InAndOutBrennan posted:

Twitter says Russia pulls out of Open Skies.

AP article on the subject.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

DOD released most of a S/NF indo-pacific strategy document drafted by the NSC and endorsed by dipshit from 2018, a good couple of decades before it was supposed to become declassified. It's centered around alliance building with Good Korea/Japan/Australia and India (:rip: Pakistan) to isolate China. As far as conventional mil capes go, the strategy involves

quote:

(1) denying China sustained air and sea dominance inside the 'first island chain' in a conflict; (2) defending the first island chain nations, including Taiwan; and (3) dominating all domains outside the first island chain".

NSTR on cyber threats but it's way past my bedtime so I'll have to re-read tomorrow with fresh eyes.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

poo poo sorry, guess I was really tired because it was still in my clipboard

https://beta.documentcloud.org/documents/20449107-us-strategy-document-on-indo-pacific

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The commander of the helicopter operation to extinguish the chernobyl plant fire died today from, of all things, the rona.

e. ^^ I'm genuinely surprised that the cost of a Mk82 was sub-500 in 1990 dollars, at first glance I assumed costs in that spreadsheet were in thousands.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 18, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MRC48B posted:

"open source cruise missile" is not a thing that should ever be on github.

Yeah, you need to pay a subscription fee to prove you're not ISIS or something.

e: TFR Goonmissile anyone? :getin:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Let's go full cold war and bring back miniature bomarcs.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Maybe they all went through the PLA equivalent of a NJP and that was the outcome.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

DoctorRobert posted:

Yes, also why are the other nations carriers so bad?

The owning nations tend to have less democracy to export.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Godholio posted:

This is true. I've known a couple of pilots who had some discomfort after being lasered, but afaik nothing serious. None of them wanted to wear the eye pro, and it wasn't required to do so but it was provided.

I knew a gunship pilot whose eyes got messed up by a laser. Got some disability out of it IIRC because there were some lasting effects after the blindness wore off.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

That ignores that ship hulls are also a domestic jobs program.

For the price of whatever the national shipbuilding program is turning into they could buy a real navy, give irving a few billion to do nothing, give the workers they would have hired a wage for the next 10 years anyways, and still have saved money.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

FYI, there is a brand new thread in GiP for stories from national service here.

I thought that's what the Idiots thread was for :smith:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Must have been a real bon mot for it no longer exists.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mazz posted:

What interests me about that photo is I'm relatively sure that's the same Su-34 just copy/pasted 5 times. Why would you even go through the trouble of doing that when google exists; the obvious answer is that they just got that off a random google to begin but then what the gently caress did they google to get that image that wouldn't instead give a random F-15 or F-16 or something that wouldn't make them look dumb. The odds are just so strange it feels, like, impressively inept.

Or their traffic gets routed through some .ru servers along the way :v:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

piL posted:

Electronics technician say the same thing about getting splashed with EM energy

Anecdotally, in the flying community I was part of, there seemed to be a lot more girl offspring, and many of the boys had ADHD or other behavioral disorders.

piL posted:

Unrelated question I've probably asked before: does anyone know of good alternatives to Janes or GlobalSecurity.org for general accumulation of open source defense stuff? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on weightlifting equipment (books) and globalsecurity.org seems a little too chaotic for me. I have a hard time believing nobody is trying to sell something to the market between Wikipedia and Jane's corporate accounts.

KGS nightwatch had some seriously dope osint with analysis. It used to be free and went to a subscription model but was still a hella good deal at 20 or 30 bucks a year. I haven't used it in a few years but their site says they still offer the service.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Kesper North posted:

Well of course they had ADHD, they're related to pilots

We're mostly back end mission crew on a heavy. I said ADHD, not spectrum :downs:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Most of the IADS magic happens as far left as possible. Kinetic vehicles are all well and good but if a cocom is engaging TBMs or whatever over its MOBs the system has already largely failed. 'We bomb them over there so we don't have to bomb them over here' but semi-unironically.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

bewbies posted:

I wrote the conops for M-SHORAD in...2016, I think?

I'd be interested in reading this, if you're comfortable PM'ing me what network I'd need access to.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Godholio posted:

There's literally an approved list of callsigns to choose from so I don't know how they managed to do this in the first place. Probably just wrote what they wanted on the flight plan and rolled with it. :lol:

I was on a choose-your-own-callsign type of sortie on an Apr 20 years back. The crew was throwing some ideas back and forth until the ranking person (O-5) who happened to be the AC went 'how about <callsign> 69 so we can 69 on 420?' So we did.

I don't even remember what the word ended up being but the numbers will stick out forevermore.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mortabis posted:

I think the basic answer is no heavy metals are terribly good for you, but there's nothing exceptionally dangerous about DU.

That's the conclusion I came to after doing a postgrad course on environmental considerations in aviation (fun fact - DU was used as a counterbalance for years in aircraft and other machinery). Exposure to DU typically happens alongside other bad stuff like industrial accidents, war, plane crashes etc. Pinpointing cause to effect gets hard when dealing with man's imperfect flesh in small populations, but there's overlap between, say, heavy metal poisoning and reported symptoms of Gulf War Syndrome.

For someone concerned about uranium ingestion, the best action the average person can take is washing their root vegetables before consumption.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1410375040697311233

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I always heard it told that everybody assumes Israel has nukes but it's never been conclusively proven. Then today learned about the Vela Incident through a series of writings put together by Foreign Policy.

It's probably not news to some in this thread, so this is for the benefit of those like me.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Someone from VQ-1 told me the story of a certain EP-3 with a J-8 stencil under the cockpit glass.

I want to believe.

e.

zoux posted:

Guns kill baby

Also heard rumors of E3 gun cam footage from some flag or another when a nav mistakenly charted course for target area coordinates instead of AEW orbit points.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Su-75 Felcher, since it's gon' suck rear end

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

Sgt. Sixta is already out of jail??

:drat:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ought ten posted:

Pull out game weak.

Wadi-Abandoning Politicians.

e. I missed a couple serious posts but Godholio/Warbadger's assessments seem on fleek. America could do it if it wanted to, but we're past the point where it wouldn't make a difference. There's also no stock valuation that could seriously be boosted by intervention.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 14, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

x-posting from CAF thread, but check in on your vet buddies because they're probably feeling some type of way right now.

I absolutely understand the whirlwind of feels going and hope that the lovely "this is the politicians' fault for not giving the military free action" takes are are emotional spillovers and not a lurch towards the populist jingoistic bullshit that gets nations dragged into those places to begin with. A sharp milhist undergrad could have pointed out that lacking a 100-year presence or scorched earth approach, the persistent defensive strategy would win.

Now isn't the right moment to bring it up, but watch out for signs of radicalization down the road on top of everything else if you can. That audience is primed for exploitation by bad faith actors, and I have a feeling this will get dragged into the culture war disinformation ouroboros.

e. thought this was the idiots thread but it's probably semi-applicable here too

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Murgos posted:

I’m attending the conference (virtually).

There is a closed session.

Can you provide any amplifying info on this via here/pm/.mil/other?