Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

He was pretty much a deranged Bond villain from what I've read. Like I recall one anecdote that he made the designer of those standard bunkers stay in one as he had a tank drive over it to test the structural integrity of the design.

It's funny, growing up my father always said the moment he gave up on campus politics in university was when the main, previously sensible left-wing campus club suddenly switched gears and decided the only acceptable way forward for Canada was Hoxhaism.

Given the way the RCMP was (and is) infiltrating revolutionary groups I wonder how much of the push for irrational extremism in leftist political clubs has come from Agent Provocateurs. There's a book on RCMP activities on campus during the cold war that might answer that but 1. I don't have it and 2. What is available of it on google seems a bit dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Yeah, true. I get the feeling the history of cold war espionage from all sides within Western educational institutions, both among the students and the faculty, as well as among public servants is pretty dry for the most part with a few spicy sections and a sprinkling of WTF moments.

Speaking of which ,whether or not it's true, lol:
https://twitter.com/ianshaw91/status/1222313367320387584/photo/1

Also this is amazing:

Softface posted:

I spent this week TDY at Idaho National Labs doing some :nsa: and when one of our hosts mentioned the engines for a nuclear-powered bomber I perked right up and asked if I could take a picture of the "flying crime against humanity." Luckily it was part of the tour anyway (along with a really good ice cream store).

As you might expect, something like this needs to be out in the middle of loving nowhere, which is why they put it in Idaho.

One of them, I think the second, apparently caught fire during testing and made part of the warehouse they were being built in hot zones for the next few generations.

Airman for scale. These things are loving huge, I think I've lived in houses smaller than them.

I love the verbiage in the last paragraph here, but the whole display is about how awful an idea it was, emphasizing that it was obsolete and unnecessary even when they conceived of it.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Mazz posted:

To stay with the Grumman cat theme (sorry for size)

https://i.imgur.com/d30BswU.mp4

Now I just wanna see an early Cold War version of Top Gun

I still haven't seen more than 5% of Top Gun. Still thoroughly enjoyed Hot Shots! though

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Still haven't watched it but probably will tomorrow

Ship-mounted 76mm OTO Melara cannon firing 7 rounds in ~5 seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv44dh9KxoQ&t=130s

love the water-cooling jizz effect which is presumably to boost navy morale

Otobreda 127/64
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vj7tC0SNZI

Kind of weird to see what looks like the shell casing getting ejected prior to firing

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

wow what a range

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

priznat posted:

Sam Hughes was a real piece of poo poo, fancied himself as an officer and showing up at camps giving orders etc. A literal noble

Never heard of him until I followed the wikipedia link from the shovel thing, and holy piss balls it's perhaps the most incredulous biography I've ever seen summed up there. You shouldn't portray him so positively. The whole thing is worth a read through to the unfamiliar, much of the fuckwittery can't be summed up in quotes, but here's a few.

quote:

As an editor of the Victoria Warder, Hughes often attacked "Romanists" as he called Catholics. For an example in an editorial on 4 October 1889 he accused the "Romanists" of Lindsay of being "a disloyal murder-planning society". In his first editorial, Hughes accused the Roman Catholic Church of being behind the smallpox epidemic that was ravaging Montreal at the time and called French-Canadians "little better than brutes".

"Hughes published most of his own accounts of the war, often saying that when he left, the British commander was "sobbing like a child." In fact, Hughes was dismissed from Boer War service in the summer of 1900 for military indiscipline, and sent back to Canada."

"[Historian] Chartrand described Hughes as an individual endowed with "great charm, wit, and driving energy, allied with consummate political skills", but on the negative side called him "a stubborn, pompous racist" and a "passionate Orange Order supremacist" who did little to disguise his dislike of Catholics in general and of French-Canadians in particular... Hughes's character may be read from the fact that he had actually asked for the V.C. for his services in South Africa". (note: Hughes ultimately asked for TWO V.C.s)

"The Toronto Globe in an editorial on 6 March wrote: "The terrors of the war [WW1] have been great and manifold for our gallant men in France, but Sir Sam Hughes is a greater terror than any of them. The enemy never dealt a fouler blow than that directed by Sir Sam Hughes against the leaders of the Canadian Army still in the field and unable to defend themselves"."

"The Duke of Connaught wrote in a report to London that Hughes was "off his base". A Conservative M.P from Toronto, Angus Claude Macdonell, told Borden "The man is insane", and that Canada needed a new defense minister at once. The deputy prime minister, Sir George Foster, wrote in his diary on 22 September 1914: "There is only one feeling about Sam. That he is crazy". The industrialist, Sir Joseph Flavelle, wrote that Hughes was "mentally unbalanced with the low cunning and cleverness often associated with the insane". Borden in his memoirs wrote about Hughes that his behavior was "so eccentric as to justify the conclusion that his mind was unbalanced""

On his deathbed, a Methodist minister came to offer solace, only to be told by the ever combative Hughes: "Don't you bother about me. Pretty soon I'll be sitting on the right hand of God and I'l be able to arrange things all right enough".

Learning about people like this and how often they make life and death decisions makes me glad I never went past just thinking about a military career. Well, that and the idiots thread in GiP.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Just fedex the nuke, jeez. 24 hour delivery should be good enough for any honest nuclear power.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I would agree and also add that we drop the sensationalist exaggeration of every action by China.

What are you agreeing to exactly because you literally just pulled a whataboutism.

Stans for the murderous 共匪 can kiss my rear end. Are you paid for this excrement or do you just poop it on your own initiative?

e: may as well add some cold war content to get poo poo away from the news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy2ZrFphSmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMKvxJ-Js3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92jG18P3Kc4

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 18, 2020

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Height vs cockpits brings to mind Roald Dahl's Going Solo:

Roald Dahl posted:

I reached Nairobi at about three o’clock the next afternoon and drove straight to the aerodrome where the small RAF headquarters was situated. There I was given a medical examination by an affable English doctor who remarked that six feet six inches was not the ideal height for a flier of aeroplanes.
‘Does that mean you can’t pass me for flying duties?’ I asked him fearfully.
‘Funnily enough,’ he said, ‘there is no mention of a height limit in my instructions, so I can pass you with a clear conscience. Good luck, my boy.’

Roald Dahl posted:

When flying a military aeroplane, you sit on your parachute, which adds another six inches to your height. When I got into the open cockpit of a Tiger Moth for the first time and sat down on my parachute, my entire head stuck up in the open air. The engine was running and I was getting a rush of wind full in the face from the slipstream.
‘You are too tall,’ the instructor whose name was Flying Officer Parkinson said. ‘Are you sure you want to do this?’
‘Yes please,’ I said.
‘Wait till we rev her up for take-off,’ Parkinson said. ‘You’ll have a job to breathe. And keep those goggles down or you’ll be blinded by watering eyes.’
Parkinson was right. On the first flight I was almost asphyxiated by the slipstream and survived only by ducking down into the cockpit for deep breaths every few seconds. After that, I tied a thin cotton scarf around my nose and mouth and this made breathing possible."

Roald Dahl posted:

The two airmen who had helped to lift my cramped body out of the cockpit of the Hurricane had been most sympathetic. I leant against the wing of the plane and waited for the cramp to go out of my legs.
‘A bit scrunched up in there, were you?’ one of the airmen said.
‘A bit,’ I said. ‘Yes.’
‘You oughtn’t to be flyin’ fighters a chap of your height,’ he said. ‘What you want is a ruddy great bomber where you can stretch your legs out.’
‘Yes,’ I said. ‘You’re right.’

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Tiny brain: Navy

Big brain: Navy's Air Force

Galaxy brain: Navy's Army

Cosmic brain: Navy's Army's Air Force

People's Liberation Army Navy Air Force is an actual thing btw

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Cold War stories from RAF Historical Society Journal No. 26 :britain:

YS = Yellow Sun 1
No big deal really, just picking up ball bearings to put back into a hollow sphere of multiple critical masses* of a critical amount of fissile material.

Also featured - Commanding Officers suffering nervous breakdowns being a somewhat regular occurrence; "embarrassingly inadequate" firefighting plans for Thor missiles; And paraphrasing - "V Bombers are safer than missiles because they can be withdrawn after launch" juxtaposed with "If Blue Steel missiles fail to work as intended they must be dropped as bombs on a target, any target".

*Edit: ~130% CM by weight, and several times the mass used by other weapons systems, still not something nice to be near. Docs show that with the ballast removed from the core it was expected that any detonation of the explosives would produce a significant fission event.

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 6, 2021

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

boy that gives away an awful lot of detail about the design. I work out that the bearings are around 9mm diameter, anybody with a better handle on the sphere packing problem wanna take a stab at calculating the diameter and thickness of that fissile core?
Good guess, they started off as ~1 inch which is when whatsisname had to count 6500 of them. Then were reduced to 9.5mm, and then reduced further to around 9mm, to facilitate removal. It's unknown if they ever granted the request to store the weapons upside down to prevent a spill.

Someone has done the math and derived the dimensions of the core from unclassified documents, the sphere of fissile material that made up the core was ~22 in (560mm) internal diameter and ~0.126 in (3.21mm) thick. That's courtesy of http://www.nuclear-weapons.info - it's a quaint, mostly unfinished website but what few articles are present can be rather informative for the layperson. The Yellow Sun's predecessor was incredibly terrible in so many ways, mostly to do with the warhead, for example:

The National Archives posted:

it has been necessary to accept the weapon in what is virtually experimental form and without full trials and tests in order to provide you with a weapon in the megaton range as early as possible.

...Severe limitations are imposed on movement of the assembled weapon with the safety device in place. There is a risk of the weight of the safety device causing the fissile flask to fracture leading to detonation of the H.E. charge and radio-active contamination.

...Aircraft engines are not to be run with Violet Club on the aircraft with the safety device in place. This means that the engines must not be started until the weapon is prepared for an actual operational sortie.

The more of this sort of thing one learns the more surprised one becomes that there's not some corner of an English airfield that is for ever radioactive.

more from the RAF Historical Society Journals, this time #38

Wg Cdr Barry Dove posted:

The nuclear weapons course at the Bomber Command Bombing School (BCBS) at Wittering followed the OCU and, as the observer, I had to learn how to carry out the ‘last minute loading’ of the RED BEARD. This involved a large flask that contained the central core of the weapon, discreetly referred to as ‘the physics package’. The whole thing was not dissimilar to the shape of the Jules Rimet Football World Cup, ie a ball on the end of a pole with a flat bit at the bottom! To get this core from the flask into the weapon, a handle was attached to the base plate; the device was then lifted with great care out of the flask and offered up to the weapon. It was then locked into place and the handle removed. A tricky operation at the best of times but with the well-used equipment at BCBS the odd dummy physics package did occasionally end up on the hangar floor. The procedure was affectionately known as ‘playing gynaecologist to an elephant’.
and #34 - Who needs a football anyway?

Peter Hennessy posted:

If you didn’t have it in your hand, and I told you about it citing my source as ‘private information,’ you would think I was making it up. After a review stimulated by the Chief of the Defence Staff, Lord Mountbatten (who thought the Prime Minister, Harold Macmillan, should, like the American President, have an officer with him at all times carrying the retaliation codes), a compromise was reached. Mr Macmillan wanted no fuss and no attending officer. The Treasury wanted to spend as little money as possible.
So the last link in the chain, if a nuclear attack on the British Isles was both imminent and unexpected and the PM was out of town, you can see in the top right-hand corner. Macmillan’s Rolls Royce was fitted with what was then a rarity – a car phone. It was linked to the AA network for contacting their legendary patrolmen-on-motorbikes. The warning to Macmillan and his response would be transmitted en clair, courtesy of the Automobile Association! Of all the nuclear weapons powers, only the British could have produced a solution like this.

quote:

.. it had been fortunate that (so far as is known) Soviet Intelligence never gained access to the retaliatory drills, pointing out that, if they had done, one could imagine the howls of laughter in the Kremlin as someone explained what the AA actually was.

quote:

...a television link that had recently been installed to permit the Prime Minister to communicate with Northwood. It had been an attempt to dispense with the services of the AA man but the first time the system was used it was a shambles, which caused the Chiefs much concern, although it was sorted out later.

quote:

AVM Peter Dodworth pointed out the contrast between the enormous investment in hardware and operational infrastructure and the Prime Minister’s rather ‘Mickey Mouse’ control system. But, he argued, that may not have been of great consequence because the whole point of deterrence was to deter; if you actually had to use the system, it had already failed. The essential characteristic of a deterrent policy was that the opposition should perceive that it would work, which meant that the visible parts of the machine needed to be seen to be highly effective; Moscow would surely have taken it for granted that it would have been backed by an equally efficient release procedure. It followed that, notwithstanding the fact that we might have had to rely on the AA, we had got our priorities right.
The AA or Automobile Association was a member-funded roadside assistance initiative founded in 1905 to help motorists avoid speed traps, now a private company focusing on roadside assistance and other vehicle-related services.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

I bought this as a kid because I was poor and it was dirt cheap and came with a flight sim:

It was pretty disappointing. My folks are finally decluttering the house and this sort of crap is part of what's getting tossed, good riddance.

Anyway, it's Coldwar/AirPow so here's a compilation of all the tiny 2000's era clips from the disc that I could get working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbAfESSm9Bk

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

MrYenko posted:

In 1982, HMS Conqueror sank ARA General Belgrano with a spread of Mark VIII torpedoes. The Mark VIII originally entered service in 1927.

IIRC they used the Mark VIIIs because their modern Tigerfish torpedoes were known to be horrifically unreliable.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

piL posted:

Hasn't the US spent 50 years courting Austrailia including buying ships from Austal, and hasn't France spent 45 years fighting Anglo influence and 5 years courting Australia?

Maybe if France's historical reaction to the inclusion of any club wasn't immediately proving they didn't want to be involved with that club, others would be interested. Blame du Galle and do something about it.

I suspect it's more that ever since 9/11 the US doesn't ask Australia what it needs for defense so much as tells them what they're getting

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Relevant:
https://youtu.be/E6Xw8e7lFi8
I’m pretty sure the F-16 was trying to drive the Bronco off for awhile before going in for guns, but an OV-10s performance isn’t radically different from an early to midwar fighter.
It sounds like the F16 was going for the kill:
https://web.archive.org/web/20040417071010/http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_161.shtml

No references, but one of the people who wrote the article watched events as they were happening:

Juan Sosa posted:

From what I saw they did not shoot while over the city as it would have surely meant dead civilians - either hit by the weapons, or on the crash site of eventually downed aircraft. Some time around noon I actually saw an F-16 chasing a Mirage, both of which were coming from the east. They passed right over my building heading west, and I pressed my face up against the window trying to follow the fight. A fraction of a second after losing sight of them I felt it: they were flying supersonic, and the shock-wave caused the glass to hit me hard in the forehead. Fortunately the window did not break."

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

https://www.twitter.com/ShivAroor/status/1453064022857699332

:confused:

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

I'd like it to have some examples of such nonsense gossip and tall tales to ground the story in its historical context. So what are pieces of gossip, conspiracy theories and lurid tales about the Soviet Union in the 1930s and 40s? Empress Catherine the Great and the horse type stories. Niche question, I know, but the SA hivemind is very knowledgeable about the weirdest topics.

Things I've managed to find myself are:
  • Zhdanov playing the piano to tell Soviet composers and musicians how un-formalistic music should sound like;

Yeah, it's not very much.
I'm surprised nobody brought up Beria, otoh there's nothing of entertainment value in plumbing that cesspit of depravity.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Torrannor posted:

It's darkly funny to see people bemoaning that this is the first time in a near-peer conflict where cities might be leveled, and how extra horrible that is. As if Putin and Assad didn't turn Aleppo to rubble.
They are ‘civilised’ and ‘look like us’: the racist coverage of Ukraine

It's not funny at all and it's going to bite the west in the rear end. Never mind that every power bloc has entrenched, systematic racism - non-europeans watching this are paying attention every time the talking heads being racist get thoughtfully nodded at instead of being told to gently caress off. Russia isn't just pounding the table about denazification for the sake of their domestic audience - pretty much everyone in Europe can see through that bullshit. But it is going to make more of an impact with non-Europeans.
https://twitter.com/eoinhiggins_/status/1499567290836205571?s=21
Also needs to be said: I am not pro-Russia. Pointing this stuff out doesn't mean someone is Pro-Russia. Some media accounts are pushing concern trolling to extremes and absolutely hammering it on the table to justify Putin's genocidal plan of Russification at gunpoint, so it's worth paying attention to who is saying what. But that doesn't mean everyone should shut up about it.

feedmegin posted:

I mean. Sarajevo didnt exactly have a good time of it, either! It irritates me when people talk about this as 'the first war in Europe since WW2', like, the 90s wasn't THAT far back that people should have forgotten it.
Must have a short memory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgukduYJZ44

Midnight Oil, 1983 posted:

A smallish man Afghanistan, a watch dog in a nervous land
They're only there to lend a hand short memory
Wake up in sweat at dead of night
And in the tents new rifles hey short memory

If you read the history books you'll see the same things happen again and again
Repeat repeat short memory they've all got it
When are we going to play it again

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

The have the first B-2 at the air force museum in ohio and it is big.
The only bombers I've seen on display are a Canberra and a B-52.

The latter is also big and helps to give a sense of just how big the B-2 is:

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

"Sorry Ukraine but I'm leaving, it's not ME it's EU"

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

I'm sorry but if a strategic weapons feature penaid ended up on a conventional weapon, something is very horrifyingly wrong with Russian control of nuclear weapons and delivery systems.

Yeah the implications are very :stonklol:

If a nuke got mixed up with conventional warheads and fired off somewhere, and the physics package somehow didn't go critical would anyone near the receiving end know the difference? Seems very unlikely bc surely someone would notice the difference while arming the system, otoh lol russia

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

Also, what does he plan to do with those planes? He can't fly them very many places now. He can't sell them. His economy is in shambles so there's no-one domestically who'll want them. All he can do is pay to mothball them or just let them slowly rot like his military.

There's a long twitter thread that accounts for Russia's flailing tech production sector despite their academic prowess. I'm not sure how much it delves into hottake.txt but it seems to explain the apparent bone-headedness of these decisions being made.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1501360272442896388.html
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1501360272442896388

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Murgos posted:

Im under the impression that he did a lot of drugs so teetotaler probably isn’t really apt.

Iirc from Blitzed! Drugs and the Third Reich Hitler was not using drugs during his rise to power. However after he took over Germany, his personal doctor lied about his treatments and started injecting Hitler with stimulants and opioids while telling him they were vitamins. The drugs also inflamed Hitler's lifelong gastrointestinal troubles such as stomach cramps, alternating constipation/diarrhea, and uncontrollable flatulence.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Meanwhile in the 90's USN:

Admiral 1: Hey we need a drone to simulate a Russian anti-ship missile, better schedule some more goddamn meetings with the industry jerks to get this thing rolling. We don't even know what it's supposed to be capable of ffs, this is gonna be a pain in the rear end

Admiral 2: snorts massive line of coke yeah gently caress that let's just buy the actual Russian missile

Admiral 1:....

Admiral 1:....I suppose we can ask, worst they'll do is say no

At least I assume that's how it went
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MA-31

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

While Tankies bear the brunt of forums derision for holding a pro-russian stance in the face of human decency, it's probably worth mentioning that Evangelicals worldwide are a potential fifth column if hostilities with Russia escalate. Despite literal evangelizing being outlawed in Russia they have been prepped via their insular media channels to support Russia and Putin even before the rise of Trumpism, with Russia buying in to expand their influence through such back channels as the World Congress of Families. Russia has been promoted to (and by) Evangelicals as a model of strong Christian governance, highlighting the open collaboration between Russian government and the Russian Orthodox Church, the suppression of LGBTQ rights and activism, and denouncement of Western-led Globalism. The suppression of addressing corruption, and the brutality employed by the Russian Orthodox Church against critics, mirrors that of the Russian Government itself. During the Soviet era all senior church officials were also state security assets. It's not a stretch to consider that the situation is unlikely to have changed over the past few decades. The Russian church is not a monolithic bloc and has been one of the few safe refuges for dissidents in the Putin era, however such dissent is strictly limited and matches what one would expect from a controlled opposition. Dissent also tends to be immediately drowned out by affirmation of the righteousness of the state by other church officials.

IDK how widespread the problem really is but I know my parents have drunk the churchy pro-russia kool-aid years ago and that's enough to make me think it's a problem. Russia is absolutely using religion as a backchannel for political collaboration and public influence.

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 17, 2022

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

I don't know who this guy is but he's been writing furiously and it's worth browsing through whatever threads grab your interest, if you're inclined towards reading high-minded propaganda:

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498378530987646978

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498380511856762881

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498382769424060424

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498384248117600261

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498385302263586819

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498386544306106373

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498387481452060679

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498389234302001155

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1499094890881470465

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1499907548568240129

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1500554224928759815

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1501726393436196864

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1503115942448046086

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1503902118889013259

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1504608390366076932
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1504931578111176705

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1509814564069818375

That source video :stonklol:

Russia never had a chance against these mad devils

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Or what they did to Germany. :barf:
Germany earned that, gently caress Nazis. For the next few centuries they get to be an example of what not to do and what evils are intolerable*, it's a bloody shame that Russia would rather rewrite history than learn from it.

What they did to Eastern Europe however (particularly Poland with the joint invasion collaborating with the Nazis, the massacre of officers, leaders and intellectuals, and the "let them fight" phase of the resistance) that was utterly unearned, utterly evil. To call it Liberation is to hang a halo on the devil.

* (applies only to Europe because goddamn we are still so fuckin lovely as a species :( )

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'd cool your genocide jets, one genocide does not deserve another, and the Soviets did genocide the gently caress out of what was Prussia.
I'll eat whatever cyrano4747 or other mods hand out to say gently caress off and die if you are suggesting I endorse genocide, future past or present. Forgive me for taking offence and not examining your motives, just gently caress right off with that line.

Clearly I have failed to communicate so I'll try to simplify what I meant to get across - "The result of a nation embracing militarized fascism is failure and defeat and then the enemy has its way with their civilians and defines your future for you" is a description of historical events, not an endorsement of them. Russia should have paid attention instead of getting drunk on victory in '45 and within a century forgetting all the details of that matter.

The abolition of Prussia occurred with the full approval of the western allied powers. but aside from the Soviet's army's indiscriminate war crimes inflicted upon the German people it was abolished by decree rather than being put to the sword. As far as I care the heart of German militarism has the place it deserves in the history books, the suffering of the people living there at its end was a tragedy that could have been prevented by the Prussia as a state not being actual, literal loving Nazis; you may feel I'm victim blaming but that poo poo does not apply to German Nazis living in Nazi Germany if we are to use their example to instruct people as to why Fascist Militarism should not be embraced. Russia is somehow infected with a very similar case of genocidal fascist militarism and history doesn't repeat but it sure as gently caress echoes and it looks like we're all going to learn things the hard way again but this time there's nukes.

I have a very strong bias against genocide especially when it's front and centre of the media sphere and will be more careful with how I word things in the future. But for now - gently caress Prussia, gently caress Russia, gently caress Nazis, gently caress You.

nice meltdown I know. Still love this thread and even you Nebakenezzer but I'm definitely gonna take a break for a long while, gently caress.

Edit: Goddamn I needed that break, on reflection I'm terrible af and Nebakenezzer is right to give me poo poo, it's always correct to call out anything that sounds pro-genocide.

The Sausages fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 15, 2022

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Lame, this is the true pinnacle of Russian immigration propaganda

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Valtonen posted:

One of the best exhibits in Parola armor museum is a T55 turret that was used for penetration testing with marked impacts (if I recall correctly) from 100mm, 85mm, and for comedy option 40mm bofors rounds. The impact difference for HEAT and AP rounds is very telling.
I found pics of that in this album for those who won't get to go there - https://www.flickr.com/photos/karismafilms/albums/72157624545840722

The photographer took great pics of all the multilingual informative plaques - except the very one that details which hole is from which specific round :(

shame on an IGA posted:

they went hard on LSD because they didn't need competition.
Hell yes post cold war military LSD experiments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-rWnQphPdQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziqpwkhqTRs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbSEU8Hv4lA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iualITdxXBk

On second thoughts while these vids are amusing the whole thing is a form of serious psychological abuse.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Kafouille posted:

Forged stuff tends to be stronger but it's not practical for use as the main component of armor, you'd need a press the size of an aircraft carrier to make any significant sections of hull.

The USA built a handful of Battleship-sized presses and the the Heavy Press Program is Cold War as heck. But it was less for forging steel armor and more for extruding aerospace components.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Captain Log posted:

The only thing I know was that he was a "flight attendant" back when planes were made of glorified cardboard.

Hey that's not fair, planes back then were made of glorious fabrics covered in flammable compounds

also thanks for sharing these are great pics and info. The plane looks like an Armstrong Whitworth Argosy.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

It sounds like the MOD is handing war records over to the National Archives to be digitized and made available for research, it'll take several years but could supply information that isn't with the documents you have, keep an eye on that project. Australia did something similar and the attestation papers were useful for looking back further in my family history.

British Airways has the Imperial Airways records at their Heritage center, idk if they'd be useful or if it's practical for you to access them but I assume they'd have some crew records if you can narrow things down enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

Proper Kerni ng posted:

:stonkhat: holy poo poo battlefield earth is literally so terrible i forgot it was battlefield earth
So bad it's practically a comedy in a way that doing it on purpose never captures.