Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

One thing with nuclear power is that if you are an environmentalist who believes in decarbonising as much as possible by 2025-2030 nuclear power plants just take so long to build they don't really help, so you would be better off with renewables and reducing demand (or so the argument goes).

India is going all in on thorium reactors and expects to start having them go online starting 2025 and China will follow soon after. 2.3 billion people abandoning coal as a power source is a drat good start. Fully embracing electric vehicles in major markets around the same time will help. Now if we could plant a few billion trees and do something about microplastics as well, we might survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mortabis posted:

Solar and wind are not practical sources of baseload power. Nuclear power is. Nuclear accidents are extremely uncommon and have caused very few casualties.

My state runs entirely off wind and solar and the extra is fed into a Tesla battery farm for use when conditions are poor. We are selling our excess to other states of Australia that currently aren't able to get power from their local (coal) plants because the infrastructure is damaged due to the raging infernos going on here right now.

Nuclear does make sense in areas where wind/solar aren't possible by virtue of local wind/sun conditions though. Still way better than coal/gas.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 13, 2020

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Can I captain USS annoy please

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

30% listening devices by weight.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Out of historic curiosity, has there ever been a mutiny on a US Navy ship? I’m familiar with a few in the Royal Navy but my USN history isn’t so great.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2691/has-there-ever-been-a-mutiny-aboard-a-u-s-naval-vessel/

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

goatsestretchgoals posted:

And another story about an SR-71 disintegrating in flight and ejecting the pilot on its own: http://www.chuckyeager.org/news/sr-71-disintegrated-pilot-free-fell-space-lived-tell/

Pretty sure that's the fastest speed anyone has ever exited a plane and lived to tell about it.

Also I am a child and imagine it happening like a cartoon where the car crashes and the driver keeps going while holding the steering wheel as normal until they look around and see their vehicle is gone and physics reasserts itself.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

priznat posted:

Hopefully there are no lasers powerful enough to etch one’s name on the moon... I don’t think a certain POTUS would be able to resist.

Nobody tell him about casaba howitzers.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Proper Kerni ng posted:

Bruh-- the CVS-101 deployed almost 15 years ago.

You bastard, US procurement is so stupid I actually looked this up because there was the slim possibility it was some wacky test program I missed out on.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thats not even taking into consideration what happens if other nuke armed nations get itchy fingers if they find out live nukes are in the air and then either deliberately or accidentally lob their own weapons into the mix.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

priznat posted:

Not just powering, propelling a space ship by detonating nukes behind a pusher plate! Project Orion was pretty wild.

Sloppy and inefficient. Better to use nuclear salt water and mix it in a combustion chamber and expel it through a nozzle like a traditional rocket to have one long continuous nuke explosion power it

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Those ladies must be extremely openminded.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Am I going insane or was there an experimental sr71 parasite effective drone that was tested briefly before it failed and landed in China somewhere?

I have the vaguest recollection of some Chinese diplomat handing a part of it over to an American colleague as proof they got it. It may have been discussed in an earlier generation of this thread.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The most interesting idea I heard about to reduce CO2 levels was to create absolutely huge seaweed plantations. Imagine a glorified trellis structure seeded with a bunch of different seaweed species dropped around coastal and offshore areas. The idea being that it traps CO2, takes basically no maintenance and promotes sea life rehabilitation as well. Thats the theory anyway. The idea was that it shouldn't take any energy to capture the carbon like some proposed machine based programs and won't take up space like trees do (though we should have more trees in general as well).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fearless posted:

I've responded to scenes where someone has committed suicide by train. The most recognizable proof that a person's life just ended is in traumatic responses of the personnel and passengers present. A train, or a large transport truck for that matter, will violently disassemble a human being in a flash.

"Injuries incompatible with life"

because I can't find the pulse, because I can't identify wrist or throat amongst the gore.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Apart from everything else that's ridiculous about that weapon that has got to be the least ergonomic possible shape for a backpack. Dunno how you strap that down without if flopping all over the place.

Yeah no reason to have to deal with back pain and possible hernia while you're waiting for the canned sunshine to arrive.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

One fart away from homicide.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I find it funny that the marines babby carrier is bigger than/holds more aircraft than almost all other nations main carriers.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mig 15, 21, 25/31 all look cool in a utilitarian sort of way.

The 25/31 in particular are just great big fuckoff engines with tiny compromises like space for wings and pilots and other annoying things and they're just great. Fite me.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 30, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

But if the economy collapses and/or the poo poo hits the fan it makes perfect sense to invest heavily in something that's extremely dense, heavy, and inedible!

The only reason to buy gold/silver/platinum bars is if you're a piece of poo poo and need hideable insurance in case of divorce.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

I mounted, therefore, unbidden, the Bed stead – & M. Dubois placed me upon the Mattress, & spread a cambric handkerchief upon my face. It was transparent, however, & I saw, through it, that the Bed stead was instantly surrounded by the 7 men & my nurse. I refused to be held; but when, Bright through the cambric, I saw the glitter of polished Steel – I closed my Eyes. I would not trust to convulsive fear the sight of the terrible incision. Yet – when the dreadful steel was plunged into the breast – cutting through veins – arteries – flesh – nerves – I needed no injunctions not to restrain my cries. I began a scream that lasted unintermittingly during the whole time of the incision – & I almost marvel that it rings not in my Ears still? so excruciating was the agony. When the wound was made, & the instrument was withdrawn, the pain seemed undiminished, for the air that suddenly rushed into those delicate parts felt like a mass of minute but sharp & forked poniards, that were tearing the edges of the wound. I concluded the operation was over – Oh no! presently the terrible cutting was renewed – & worse than ever, to separate the bottom, the foundation of this dreadful gland from the parts to which it adhered – Again all description would be baffled – yet again all was not over, – Dr. Larry rested but his own hand, & – Oh heaven! – I then felt the knife (rack)ling against the breast bone – scraping it!

loving hellfire.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I mean poo poo, was this before ether or laudanam? Or whiskey? Being blind drunk couldn't possibly have made the situation much worse.

edit: This was done in 1811, so no ether yet, but Laudanam/opiates might have been possible.

Just shoot me in the head with a blunderbuss instead, thanks.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If I've learned one thing about the USAF from command and control it's that the nuke silos and nuke maintenance are the least prestigious and useful for career advancement in the service so it does not surprise me at all that airman shmuckatelli and the chinless who command them leaked poo poo like that into the open. Hell I'd wager that at least 50% of the people in the leaked base personnel picture licked a live nuke as part of some initiation rite.