Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what should the USN name after Nixon?

Naval Special Warfare Command comes to mind, you want to really capture the essence of Nixon in today’s navy your gonna need the Eddie Gallagher’s and Chris Kyle types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Too funny and related to not share:
https://twitter.com/sgtjoesmoe/status/1229722745551904771

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

This isn’t an original quote, but the day we understand that slide is the day we win the war.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah there's definitely a lot of things getting mashed together in that article. What if they need to conduct a long range intercept... while dogfighting?

It's probably not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. AFAIK, unlike the F-22, the F-35 can't supercruise, so it can't spend a lot of time supersonic anyway because it will run out of gas. And note that they don't say exactly what the time limitation is; it may be that it's enough for most situations where they would actually want to go supersonic, so they're not going to bust their balls trying to fix it.

Not to quibble but the F-35 supercruises at 1.2 Mach in a clean (no tanks or external stores) configuration for about 150 miles at a go. It’s not nearly as fast as the F-22’s supercruise, but it eats less fuel so hey.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It looks like the US administration has had a falling out with the Royal family in the KSA. Twitter is saying PATRIOT being pulled, larger military presence meant to deter Iran apparently being canx’d.

Whoops sorry thought this was GiP CE thread.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 8, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It’s really really hard to get large amounts of cash dollar money out of bitcoin. Stupidly hard. And prices and value have no correlation because there is a ton of bullshit in the “market”.

It’s a black box money scheme, no matter what anyone says. I don’t care if someone with a math degree and an economics degree and a finance degree can comprehend and make sense of the black box in theory, it’s a goddamn black box.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Edit probably erroneous information removed.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 19, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

darnon posted:

Judging by the clouds there's only a few seconds skip in both shots.

It's also fairly quick in this night launch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvA9GAufqlI

You seem to be correct on this. Thanks for sharing that.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

33rd FW PAO posted:

-- NEWS RELEASE --

An F-35A Lightning II assigned to the 58th Fighter Squadron crashed upon landing around 9:30 p.m. today at Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The pilot successfully ejected and was transported to the 96th Medical Group Hospital at Eglin AFB, Fla., for evaluation and monitoring.

The pilot is in stable condition. At the time of the accident, the pilot was participating in a routine night training sortie. First responders from the 96th Test Wing are on the scene and the site is secured.

The accident is under investigation. There was no loss of life or damage to civilian property. The name of the pilot is not being released this time.

Please contact the 33rd Fighter Wing Public Affairs office at (850) 226-3876 or 33fwpublicaffairs@gmail.com with any questions.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Looks like the Trump admin is considering resuming nuclear testing, and alleging China and Russia have both conducted nuclear tests. I doubt they’ve done so because worldwide seismic monitoring that’s done by other than the DoD would have picked it up, and anyway our nuclear monitoring enterprise leaks like a sieve.

But hey, maybe we can get some 16:9 4K UHD/HDR footage of nuclear tests. Link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...foutputType=amp

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok take the trump chat to cspam or d&d or YouTube comments or whatever.

Uhhhh, resumption of nuclear testing seems rather prescient to the thread. Just because I mention that the trump admin is thinking about undertaking the effort isn’t trump chat.

Trust me, I’m the last motherfucker that wants Trump chat. I wanna talk about how we’re maybe gonna set a nuke off, after a few years of tearing up nuclear arms / verification treaties put in place from the Cold War era and later.

There is literally no higher form of Airpower than nuclear weapons. And it’s an extremely close to the Cold War topic.

Maybe this line of conversation doesn’t need to be shut down because that orange rear end in a top hat gets mentioned?

Just a thought. You do you though, I guess.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

bewbies posted:

it would definitely be an incredibly useful capability to build the Marines into a modular rapidly deployable organization that could dig in anywhere on Earth and then sling precision fires in every direction for a thousand kilometers, but I don't know how that every Marine is a rifleman poo poo fits into that construct

My first thought was this. I think one of the things that impressed me about the USM, and the Army (SOF side) though is that they’re very operationally flexible. That’s not to say the USN and USAF are operationally inflexible, but they seem to be not nearly as flexible as their sister services.

After reading at length about to pivot to the pacific the USMC is doing I have (some) faith that in the years to come they’ll have perfected it as much as one can without being under fire.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
For reference Grover was a civilian engineer at SPAWAR. Do with that factoid, what you will.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Where do you guys think Grover came up with Load Bearing Drywall? U.S. Naval Architecture going back to at least the late 19th century has made extensive use of Drywall both in the interior, and the exterior. What do you think all those Hull Maintenance techs do? The hull is metal, it’s not gonna get messed up. But tactical drywalling takes up the majority of their time. Worst job in the navy after Nuke, TBQH.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
That F-15 buy is the most damning evidence of just how lovely of a SECDEF loving Bob Gates was.

22 billion dollars in 2020 for more F-15’s because we needed a million MRAP’s to just give away to police departments and Iraqi and Afghani militaries.

At least it’ll be cheaper to maintain and operate them than F-22’s or F-35’s, but uh- the F-15 isn’t the door kicker that it once was. But I’m betting they’re gonna have so many AMRAAM’s and cooperative targeting that they’ll be lethal even with a huge barn door of an RCS. Can’t put ‘em in most SAM’s range, but TTP’s for working with aircraft that can have been around and really refined in the last 5-10 years.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
We couldn’t realistically afford another F-22 buy, between their high procurement cost, huge investment for restarting, and their increased lifecycle costs.. it’s just more money than I care to think about. Meanwhile, our current F-15C’s are falling apart.

So as much as I hate that we never bought the right number of F-22’s, that was a mistake that can’t be undone, realistically.

Hope that the loyal wingman UAV’s and other developments play out in our favor. We may be able to create new even better capabilities with the whole family of systems concept, cooperative targeting, and new advanced avionics systems. (Before long the USAF fighter fleet will be all AESA RADAR’s and EO/IR sensors like the F-35 has)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Lou Takki posted:

The test the Chinese did was not against a GEO target, it was LEO satellite in a polar SSO orbit. No one has done any ASAT testing above LEO to my knowledge.

They have tested more than one type of ASAT.

https://www.armscontrol.org/act/2014-04/report-china-may-new-asat-weapon

They hucked a modified road mobile ICBM up to GEO and back in a direct ascent launch. They haven’t hit anything up there because Jesus Christ that’s a loving nightmare. The debris from that LEO test they did would be nothing compared to loving up GEO with debris. That kind of debris will be there for millions of years, and never go away.

But yeah, China definitely has its eyes on being able to hold our strategic space assets at risk, from LEO to GEO. That means everything is at risk.

The U.S. doesn’t have any acknowledged ASAT weapons that can get to MEO or GEO. That doesn’t mean we don’t have those capabilities but if we do it’s been kept black somehow. My thinking is we straight don’t have MEO to GEO ASAT capabilities, but I don’t know that for sure TBQH.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
We’ll move people by plane, even if we run out of gray tails, we can call up the civil reserve air fleet and manage to move everyone fairly expeditiously.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

Will body-parts, like, hit the driver or something?

:ohdear:

No but it will gently caress their head up. Good family friend of mine is no longer able to hold any kind of job because he got messed up in the head real bad when someone suicided by train on him while he was an engineer or conductor or whatever you call a short haul coal train driver.

Fortunately he had a good union, and is doing fine financially and is essentially just retired at 55 instead of 65.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Plus eating lots of gyros gives you the Greek farts, and those are loving powerful.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
My favorite tidbit about the Warthog is that big loving cannon actually measurably slows down the plane when it is fired.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

After some time with DCS A-10 I am in absolutely no way surprised. The A-10 is crazy underengined. Don’t they have to refuel in a slight dive so they can go fast enough for the tanker or something silly like that?

They had problems with getting the KC-46 and A-10 to work together, but the problem was solved and no longer a factor last I saw. The KC-46 is just problems.txt.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Someone with more physics experience than I might be able to work it out from that information, but I need the engine burn time to figure it out.

I think you can work backwards from propellant mass, specific impulse, and total thrust. That should roughly get you a burn time. Since I’m no rocket scientist, just a hobbyist, I could be wrong.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

PCjr sidecar posted:

https://www.wired.com/story/secret-history-of-the-first-microprocessor-f-14/

Apparently one part of the F-14 wasn’t a total maintenance hog?

Thank you very much for sharing this article. It’s so well written and compelling I’ve shared it with everyone I know who would appreciate the article.

I like unconventional writing styles wrt history/tech.

Thank you.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

McDeth posted:

Stop, my penis can only become so erect...

Jesus Christ the 15 year old in me is about to jizz his pants at this. The 49 year old me is saying “What’s the reasonable mission set that has an aircraft doing strategic nuclear bombing and CAS from the same loving mad max style converted airliner”

And the answer is 0. 0 out of 1 trillion times would this make sense.

But 15 year old me is blamming in his underoo’s at this.

Thank you for sharing this because it’s absolutely amazing, and even my fever dreams wouldn’t come up with that one.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
So we’re really not gonna talk about how the USAF wants to retire the F-22 already in favor of NGAD?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Air Force chief is indicating the potential future mix of TACAIR could be:

F-35
F-15EX
F-16
A-10
NGAD

Notably absent: F-22, F-15E. F-22 maintenance/MC-rate, logistical tail, and LO maintenance (more difficult and time intensive than an F-35) listed as problems.

This was meant to be in my post. Quote != Edit

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

has the F-22 ever done anything beyond intercept a few Bears and fly in exercises?

I remember when it was supposed to be able to carry JDAMs and SDBs. lol

I want to argue with you, but I don’t have the energy. Long story short: F-22 good (With MX caveats) Early retirement means NGAD is more revolutionary than evolutionary in all likelihood and obviously BETTER than the F-22 at the air superiority thing. That’s impressive because the F-22 is the single greatest air superiority jet put into production (Cry your YF-23 tears here, I cry them too). And it’s new. Like really new. I don’t know if it’s even been around long enough that all of the squadron commanders didn’t start out in F-22’s. I don’t think enough years have passed for anyone who came in as a 2lt and went through flight school then then got F-22’s have served long enough to be squadron commanders yet, but then again- maybe not?

I could very well be wrong on that last point, but my gut says it’s right (It’s not, 2 things you don’t trust after age 40 when you are day drinking: a fart, or your gut)

I want to know more about NGAD. Even just a detailed wiki article would suffice. The blackness of the program is rather impressive.

Also has anyone heard anything about the LRSO competition?

There’s a crazy amount of new stuff being acquired by the USAF.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Warbadger posted:

I'd guess there just aren't enough of them. No new airframes rolling out to iterate upgrades into plus any project to modernize the existing inventory is going to have to take into account the small (aging, slowly shrinking) number of airframes.

I can definitely see the appeal in rolling out a new design.

Oh no doubt, same. I just wanna know what NGAD is that we’re confident replacing the F-22’s so soon with it.

I’m going to do some Groveresque guesses on what NGAD might look like.

Single Seat
Clipped delta stealth wing arrangement
No vertical stabilizers
2 x F-119’s (No thrust vectoring with F-135’s)
OR
2 x Whatever 40klbf adaptive cycle engines the USAF selects from AETP (and it’s predecessor’s ADVENT and AETD)
At least 12 internal carriage AMRAAM’s and 4 Sidewinders
Completely Open systems architecture
1 x gently caress off good AESA Radar
1 x gently caress off good IRST
Improved stealth coatings and materials compared to 5th generation fighters. (Both in stealth performance and mx requirements.)

If AETP isn’t vaporware, and running and validated test articles doesn’t seem like vapor ware, that’s a game changer. Both for the F-35 and NGAD. The word is 25% more fuel efficient than the F-135, with 10% more thrust while they’re at it. So 40k of wet thrust each. Super cruise might finally be more… viable. Raptors can do it but make no mistake it’s a fuel hog even without afterburner to go supersonic. My guess is they re-engine the F-35’s with the AETP winner and develop a thrust vectoring version for NGAD. This should all in theory be no problem, even if NGAD first flew with F-119’s or F-135’s.. the design is supposedly as plug and play as it can get for something like a jet re-engine.

The more I think about it, the more sense retiring the F-22 and relying on whatever NGAD is, is making.

AETP increasing the F-35’s range by 25% and giving it super cruise makes it one compelling business argument. The F-35 has range for days for a single engine jet, this is even more range. And you get out to that further point faster.

Sorry if none of this makes sense it’s bourbon night at the Krusinski house and I’m just wanting to nerd out about jets that are even more capable than my beloved jets of yesterday.

Anyway, we should note that tandem to NGAD the navy is looking for a 6th gen Super Hornet replacement. Tentatively the program is called F/A-XX. I don’t know what the gently caress the state of the USN’s program is but I’m betting whatever comes out is gonna be fun to talk about.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

S'alright, this is the time and the place for it

So let's say both these programs roll out quick and work as intended. Where does that leave the F-35?

F-35 isn’t going anywhere, it’ll greatly complement the F/A-XX and NGAD I’m sure. Also, there’s engine programs in the work to really jazz up the platform. More range, super cruise, and a loving large number of them.

The F-35 is kind of a huge failure, and yet not. It’s not going anywhere.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

MrChips posted:

While I take the news with a grain of salt, it sounds like GE's XA100 has met and exceeded every performance promise made at the outset.

Yeah, GE’s about to hit second engine to test. From what’s been made public they worked manufacturing witchcraft and built something even better than the goddamned F-135, which is bonkers because that engine runs on unicorn blood and the lost souls of engineers.

The F-35 has upgrade pathways, with AETP bearing fruit we can probably expect the re-engine program to go forward.

40k of thrust with afterburner from one engine that is the same size as the “old” F-135 engine while also improving fuel efficiency by 25% is some serious voodoo. loving voodoo I say. ~10% more thrust from the same sized package is a commendable achievement, but add in the efficiency gains and you just know those are some voodoo engines. loving voodoo.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
All of the locations got leaked years ago… this is just a very special clustering of gently caress up. Nothing that can’t be fixed, but a huge gently caress up nonetheless.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
AETP is growing fruit:

quote:

A new engine that will power the F-35 and the US Air Force’s Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) programme has completed testing.

The GE engine, called XA100, uses an adaptive cycle design that provides a high-thrust mode for maximum power and a high-efficiency mode for fuel savings and loiter time.

NGAD is a family of systems currently in development by USAF and industry partners. At the centre of this programme is a sixth generation fighter to replace the F-22 (commonly referred to as F-X). Last September it was revealed that the fighter had been designed, developed and tested in the space of a year and flown.

More recently, concept art of the new combat jet appeared in a USAF biannual report on acquisition.

GE initiated testing of the engine at its Evendale, Ohio, altitude test facility in December last year. The engine’s performance and mechanical behaviour were consistent with pre-test predictions and fully aligned with USAF’s Adaptive Engine Transition Program (AETP) objectives.

GE says this successful test validates the ability of the engine to deliver “transformational propulsion capability” to fighter aircraft.

“We were exceptionally pleased with how the engine performed throughout the test,” said David Tweedie, GE Edison Works’ general manager for advanced combat engines. “Bringing a new centreline fighter engine to test for the first time is a challenging endeavour, and this success is a testament to the great team that worked so hard to get us here. We’re looking forward to working with the Air Force and other stakeholders to identify the next steps toward bringing this revolutionary capability out of the test cell and into the hands of the warfighter.”

Key innovations of the XA100-GE-100 engine

An adaptive engine cycle that provides both a high-thrust mode for maximum power and a high-efficiency mode for optimum fuel savings and loiter time

A third-stream architecture that provides a step-change in thermal management capability, enabling future mission systems for increased combat effectiveness

Extensive use of advanced component technologies, including ceramic matrix composites (CMC), polymer matrix composites (PMC), and additive manufacturing

These innovations increase thrust 10%, improve fuel efficiency by 25%, and provide significantly more aircraft heat dissipation capacity, all within the same physical envelope as current propulsion systems

Assembly of GE’s second prototype XA100 engine is well underway, with testing on that engine expected to begin later in 2021. Once complete, that will conclude the major deliverables of the AETP program.

The XA100 is a product of GE Edison Works, a business unit dedicated to the research, development, and production of advanced military solutions. This business unit has full responsibility for strategy, innovation, and execution of advanced programmes.

10% more thrust, and 25% more fuel efficient. We’re gonna have supercruising F-35’s with even longer legs as this tech spirals in. F-35’s can already kinda supercruise (low Mach 1) for a few hundred miles if they’re trying. This should be more like a 1.3-1.4 mach cruise speed.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

david_a posted:

25% increase in fuel efficiency seems insane. Is this a revolutionary tech or was the baseline engine notably thirsty?

quote:

Extensive use of advanced component technologies, including ceramic matrix composites (CMC), polymer matrix composites (PMC), and additive manufacturing

I think this is the most they’ll divulge about some of the new tech. Once it transitions to the feet if it does, we’ll eventually know more about the voodoo.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
So I read an op-ed today about the navy’s upcoming procurement crunch.

The gist of it is: Columbia class SSBN’s must be procured and there’s no if’s ands or buts about it.

At the same time the USN is working on it’s own Next Generation Air Dominance (Same name as the USAF but often referred to as F/A-XX) aircraft. Additionally our cruisers and destroyers are hoping to be replaced by a DD-X that’s focused much more on naval warfare. Finally, while the Virginia SSN’s are good boats and are capable especially given their price- they’re not the answer to future submarine warfare scenarios though, and an SSN-X is in the works too, likely to be more in the vein of the Seawolf class than Virginia.

Here’s the rub. With Columbia and it’s sister ships being locked in, the navy can pretty much afford only one of the above NGAD, DD-X, and SSN-X.

I feel like we can get the most bang for our buck with the new submarine or destroyers, but NGAD is a compelling program none the less.

Thoughts?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Murgos posted:

Somewhere a Northrop Grumman exec just had a moment.

So, how long before there is bipartisan support for funding a completely new next generation ICBM? A day? By the end of the week?

It’s already under development under the aegis of the Ground Based Strategic Deterrence.

The program should finish replacing the Minuteman III by the mid 2030’s.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Murgos posted:

My understanding is that the current effort is more of an amped up life-extension, similar to the Trident II LE, than a clean sheet design.

Not likely. APCP based rockets have a long shelf life but it’s not indefinite. These minutemen are quickly reaching end of life.

Northrop bought Orbital ATK, the worlds largest and best producer of solid rocket motors (Almost all APCP). They make the worlds most powerful rockets for NASA’s SLS boosters. With that kind of market dominance Boeing stepped out of the competition because they know they can’t beat Northrop on cost.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Any chance they're windmills? There is a huge windfarm right next to that site, the scales look similar.

Yeah, it’s totally wind farm construction and not at all silo building despite al the evidence to the contrary.

The PRC’s no first use policy is legitimate, but they’ve probably figured out that the mobile TEL’s ALONE have their own issues and a large hardened missile field would greatly complicate a first strike by any of the usual suspects.

I don’t know that they’re doing the old “Dense pack” basing options where attacks on one silo prevent attacks on others or not, but that would probably be worth it for them.

We’re ramping up the anti PRC sentiment pretty hard these days.. in that light, this move makes some degree of sense.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Is none of that considered classified, or sensitive intel?

It’s all stuff that’s been out in the open for a long time. The real secret sauce is in the SIOP and the crypto and launch codes. You ever see any real specific operationally relevant stuff on those topics you need to call NSA wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
They have a lot of them, Godholio. I don’t think you’ll be able to pin down how many. :ssh: