Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

I've got two sons, Fishbed and Frogfoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

USS Gerald R Ford aviators counseled for wearing patch depicting bat as ‘China’s Newest Carrier'
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/uss-gerald-r-ford-china-coronavirus-bat-patch

quote:

Aviators in a small training detachment aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford were recently counseled by leadership after wearing an unauthorized and inappropriate patch, the Navy said.

Half of the patch, according to a photo on Twitter, included the aircraft carrier’s logo with the words “America’s Newest Carrier” and “Integrity at the Helm.” The other half, however, depicted an image of a bat with the words “China’s Newest Carrier,” a reference to one theory about the origins of the novel coronavirus.

“The patch in question was inappropriate and not consistent with uniform regulations, which state patches must be appropriate in nature and approved by commanding officers,” Cmdr. Jennifer Cragg, spokeswoman for Naval Air Force Atlantic, said in an email Thursday.

Officials became aware of the patch a week ago, Cragg said in the email. It’s unclear where it came from.

“The small number of aviators who had the patch were counseled, and leadership made clear to everyone in the squadron that the patch was not authorized for wear,” she said.

The Ford, based in Norfolk and commissioned in 2017, is the first of its class and has been intermittently underway for carrier qualifications over the past few months.

ok, that was funny.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

LostCosmonaut posted:

Good patch, but I still prefer this one;

403 forbidden

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

zoux posted:

Are ekranoplans useful or are they just cool

Ekranoplans were one of those weird concepts where the rule "bigger is better" applies. And (however counter-intuitive this may sound) they never got big enough to slip from cool to useful. You'd need one in the 4-5 thousand ton range for efficient Ocean duty, for example..

Here is a good starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVdH_dYlVB8

Remember, Ekranoplans are ships with jet engines. Not airplanes.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

There were a lot of anime back in the 80's using the flying carrier concept.

Anyway, the main reason for size is the ground effect itself. The iterations of the Ekranoplan produced were not big enough to produce a ground effect large enough to mitigate/remove sea state limitations. As we already said, we are talking about flying ships here...these are not airplanes, they don't fly per se, they cannot move away from the ground effect. And when the ship enters the ground effect, most of the engines shut down (they are not needed) so it would be impossible to fly anyway.

So...the endgame was about huge cruise ships connecting New York to London in hours instead of days while carrying thousands of passengers, and flying frigates/arsenal ships hurling surprise sea skimmers.

There were even some hybrids. Google the Beriev Be-2500, a 1,000 ton capacity transport plane. Or the Boeing Pelican.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 12, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Is that an oversized jammer of sorts?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ah, makes sense. Couldn't think of anything other function that could produce a pod that thicc.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

So...go F-16! Wondering who the other guys are tho...$62Bn makes a pretty large number of F-16s...

quote:

Lockheed inks $62B deal with foreign allies for F-16s

Lockheed Martin Corp. (NYSE: LMT) closed a $62 billion deal Friday to provide production of new F-16 fighters to a foreign military ally.

The 10-year indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity (IDIQ) includes a $4.94 billion order for 90 fighters, 66 of which are going to Taiwan and 24 are slated for Morocco, according to reports from Bloomberg. Funds totaling $3.88 billion were obligated at the time of award.

Lockheed executives hinted at the deal during the company’s earnings call last month, when Chief Financial Officer Ken Possenriede said the announcement was expected this quarter and confirmed that Taiwan was the “marquee customer” alongside another country for a 90-plane order.

The move comes at a time of increasing tensions not only between the U.S. and China, but also between the Asian nation and the Bethesda defense giant.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2020/08/14/lockheed-inks-62b-deal-with-taiwan-for-f-16s.html

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Morocco has an Air Force?

I’m not being glib, I thought they were a small African country without much independent military.

Morocco has been a F-16 user for ten years now, and was cleared recently for buying another squadron (and upgrading the existing one too).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

That has got to be a typo for $6.2 billions.

Yeah that was what I originally thought too.

Nope.

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Contracts/Contract/Article/2313931/

That's potentially a lot of F-16s. Doesn't mean that all will be built though, I think that this is the FMS maximum allotted for the fixed-price contract.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 17, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

zoux posted:

Ok is the F-16 the most widely operated GOOD plane :colbert:

Northrop F-5. 36 operators.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

And this is why NASAMS sucks.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

The flying bum. The new luxury way to travel..

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

HAV 304/Airlander 10's got you covered.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Proper Kerni ng posted:

I'm frankly astonished that somebody at Lockmart hasn't pitched a program to DoD to defend huge swathes of territory with small unmanned barrage balloons with one or two AMRAAMs, a simple radar setup, and a datalink to every other balloon in the network through a remote control center.

close.

Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensor System

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news..PLAN is currently constructing a trio of LHDs roughly similar to the Wasp class. These are called Type 075 LHDs. One of them is on trials now, one is finishing construction and another is getting build on the shipyard.

While those ships are certainly big and capable enough for STOVL operations, China does not possess anything close to an aircraft that can fly from them (Harrier, F-35B). Given the fact that both Korea and Japan is building F-35 capable carriers, this leaves PLAN at a disadvantage.

So, it seems that they are trying to circumvent this via building a new class of LHA called the Type 076. Module construction has apparently already started.

What is the kicker? From most available "big shrimp" information out there, this is going to look like a slightly larger America class LHA, sporting EMALS catapults and fielding UCAVs and possibly J-35 fighters. A pretty weird compromise if you ask me.

Some speculative illustrations

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 18, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Murgos posted:

That's a lot of R&D that needs to happen to support that vision. Upping the tech development pace to an unsustainable level pretty much broke the USSR.

They've already mostly completed the R&D on this so...I agree with you btw, although China is very different economy-wise than the USSR (and spends a lot less of its GDP for armaments at this juncture).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Mortabis posted:

While perhaps the PLAN believes it to be the case, I don't think LHAs/LHDs being unable to carry jet fighters puts them at a disadvantage at all. They have CATOBAR carriers further along. The design of the STOVL carriers being built by Japan and Korea may be similar to an LHA or LPH, but the function is closer to a CV. This comes across as cargo culting the USMC again.

Agreed, which is why I wrote about this whole thing being a weird compromise.
Unless, those ships are not geared for the amphibian assault mission like the 075s (SCS, Taiwan) but for something completely different..like UCAV strike for example.
We will have to wait and see. We don't even know if those are going to have well decks.

LibCrusher posted:

The Chinese don’t need to spend much on R&D because they can just steal have already stolen all the work our MIC has already done.

fixed.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I drafted this post in my head, decided not to make it because it felt a little shitpost-y, then changed my mind because seriously, EMALS.

No, the hilarious part would be for EMALS to come out with the 003 Carrier..and work flawlessly.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

How would you recover a CATOBAR fixed aircraft like the Hawkeye on a LHD which lacks arresting wires?

076 is definitely going to have wires. At least, that is the info we have rn.
I still think that this thing is going to be specialized in some way. I hear that they are working on two different stealth UCAVs, partially for it.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 18, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

So let's say you add arresting wires. New problem: unless you have an angled deck, you can't launch and recover aircraft at the same time, because you need clear space in front of the recovering aircraft for bolters and missed traps. This also impinges on the original mission of doing helicopter ops, because more deck space is needed for launch and recovery.

Solution: add an angled deck. So, now we have a CATOBAR carrier with an angled deck, except it only has one catapult, and a smaller deck, so it's more prone to failure and less capable. It seems like the sensible thing to do at that point is to scale the design up and add a second cat to take advantage of the already built in power plant... At which point you have a normal-rear end aircraft carrier.

Which is why I said that there must be some form of specialization for that thing. Making an awkward carrier/ship tank does not make any sense for China (which is currently building both 45k ton LHAs and 90k ton CVs).

For example, this one shows it as a UCAV strike carrier (on top of being an LHA).

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume the idea would be to make it harder to aim at the correct part of the vehicle, not to hide that a vehicle is there in the first place?

They are not big enough to make dazzle painting camouflage matter.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Not too long..

First five female attack helicopter pilots for PLA Army ready for action
https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2016-11/16/content_27394360.htm

but still...gonna take some time till they get to here..

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 20, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

zoux posted:

May God will that they never discover marines

People's Liberation Army Navy Marine Corps (PLANMC)

e:fb

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Nebakenezzer posted:

No deck guns but defensive guns I believe. But it also had a SS-N-19 anti-ship cruise missiles in its flight deck.

It had the P-500 Bazalt (SS-N-12 Sandbox). Sort of a predecessor. Still pretty ridiculous missiles.

It was the Kuznetsov that had the Shipwrecks.
In a hilarious location..

They had to put those in to circumvent the Montreux Convention (same goes for the Kiev class).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 22, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Aviation cruisers were fleet defense units, not offensive weapons per se. Moskvas were more geared towards ASW while the Kiev and Kuznetsov classes were more all-round combatants.

Fleet defense means protecting boomers, land based naval aviation assets and the surface fleet against air, sea and submarine attacks.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

The big difference is that an F-16 is 80-90% (arbitrary number) of the capability of an F-15 for 50% of the cost, rather than being 50% of the capability for 90% of the cost. A LHA (or at least one being used in its intended role as a support ship for helicopter operations, rather than as a jump jet carrier) is significantly cheaper than a CVN but fills significantly different roles. We don't really know how much cheaper they are than a CV, because we don't make those anymore.

The drawings we've seen of the proposed Type 076 LHA include a single EMALS system, and possibly an angled flight deck. America-class LHAs lack these features, so we can't really use them as a cost comparison. My question is how much cheaper a LHA with these features normally found only on a CV would be than a real CV. If China can legitimately field a 80% scale light carrier that gives them 50% capability of a CV at 50% of the cost of a CV, that might make sense, but I just don't see how deleting one catapult from a CV and shrinking the design by 20% is going to get you 50% cost savings.

It's the other way around. They are simply adding a catapult and some wires to the 075 LHD.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

How do they fire those giant missiles? They look like they're just lying there and bolted down.

Those launchers pivot and had some pretty advanced re-arming and exhaust mitigation features back then. Being extremely expensive and heavy though, when the Slava class came out the decision was to scrap them and simply...weld some giant canisters at an angle.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 22, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

I still think it's about developing capabilities on a platform that is useful but not as huge an investment as a full sized ship.

Just because they're making LHAs today and not CVs doesn't mean they can't or won't build the CVs.

Naval aviation has a LOT of skills that need to be developed long before your first combat strike. I could very, very easily see them building these because they're useful, including a cat launch system because that's a capability they want to develop for the future, and then building full sized CVs a few years down the road.

I agree with you in general, but their first proper catapult CV is coming out before this new LHA. Here it is under construction now.

And their trio of LHDs is coming along pretty quickly too.

The first one has actually just completed a trial cruise yesterday.

So, you gotta admit, it is a little perplexing. PLAN of course has a...plan for it, or else it wouldn't exist. But it does look like somewhat redundant right now (at least with the public info we have so far)...

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 23, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think in this thread, of all places, military procurement decisions should not be given the benefit of the doubt or an assumption of sound reasoning.

No, what I meant is that there is definitely a reason, a mission and an intent for moving forward with this. I'm not saying that the reason itself is axiomatically sound. I simply have no idea about this, and - as I said - I'm somewhat perplexed at it and think that China is actually going for a niche use with this one, like full UCAV strike.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 23, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Godholio posted:

To be fair, airplanes were a lot smaller back then, but China isn't going to be flying knockoff Wildcats or even Harriers. J-15s are big goddamned airplanes.

The info we have about the 076 speaks of UCAVs and - maybe - J-35s (first flight supposed to be next year). Not J-15s.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

China's naval ambitions are rooted in a single aim. Chinese invasion of Taiwan.

Half the things that PLAN is developing have no real use in a Taiwan scenario though. You don't need aircraft carriers - for example - for a Taiwan hop.
I agree that China is in the middle of a truly unprecedented Marine Corps expansion with the eye partially set on Taiwan but, singular aim? Far from it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eeeeeh it's extremely useful to keep the USA away from the straight and to protect their mine layers and submarines who would be blockading Taiwan further at sea.

That is not why they are building them though. PLAN does not have a singular purpose.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Langley started her life as a collier, named USS Jupiter. Her sister ships were Cyclops, which disappeared without a trace in World War I, Proteus, and Nereus, which disappeared on the same route as Cyclops in World War II.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Warbadger posted:

You need them if you want to grab the ocean out to 1500km+ from your shores, then police it as your sovereign territory while you gently caress over everyone else in the region who rely on it for the resources and shipping.

Yep, that's the 9 dashes.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okay, transporting troops across the Strait *and* being able to park ~30 warplanes off a vassal state's coastline as a saber-rattling measure if their leadership decides to get uppity.

And yes, that is the MSR.

The vassals so far:

Gwadar, Pakistan: 40 years
Kyaukpyu, Myanmar: 50 years
Kuantan, Malaysia: 60 years
Obock, Djibouti: 10 years
Malacca Gateway: 99 Years
Hambantota, Sri Lanka: 99 years
Muara, Brunei: 60 years
Feydhoo Finolhu, Maldives: 50 years

What I was trying to say is that PLAN is not really focusing exclusively on Taiwan right now, when building its blue water navy in a rapid fashion.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s clearly more than 9 dashes. :colbert:

Ok fine! here.

happy?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ah..the national bird of Iraq and Pakistan. Such an majestic creature!

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 25, 2020

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

bewbies posted:

organic air defense capability

https://gfycat.com/niftywavykodiakbear

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

My first encounter with the Coaler was in F-15 Strike Eagle II, on the trusty Amiga500 some 30 years ago. The game is weirdly still playable right now (thank god for WinUAE). Not as good as the F/A-18 Interceptor or the first Falcon from the same period tho.

Always loved taking those things out as a bonus..C:

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

Yikes, isn't the SA-5 the high altitude one designed to shoot down B-52s and poo poo?

:ohdear:

Yeah but this is the Libya scenario so those are gimped.

By the time you are fighting over central Europe, even the transports are trying to gently caress you up.

Great game goddammit.