Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

which ironically is something that also bums me out about the A&S in DC.

NASM is undergoing a massive renovation. They discovered that the building itself is in bad shape because it was built on the cheap, but they’re using that as an excuse to finally modernize. For the last decade or so all the attention was firmly on the annex out by Dulles.

Shortly before they closed the first galleries, we were at a reception there and I got a good laugh about a series of displays explaining how airplanes would soon be designed using things called computers, using “software” called CADCAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Is the A-12 outside still in such an appalling state?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Correct, wind blows is about the pensioners during the nuclear apocalypse while wind rises is the ghibli movie about the dude that designed the zero

On a different tangent I got a new feature mentioned in my local cinemas, with Werner herzog interviewing Gorbachev. It’s going to be a limited release for just a handful of days on full almost-dvd pricing. I’ve seen it was already distributed statewide as “Meeting Gorbachev”. Have anyone here seen it?

Yes, and it’s good.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
It’s a really good documentary, if it’s the one I think it is.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

david_a posted:

I have no idea how I watched it; was it on a major streaming service at some point?

I’m having the same problem. I know I watched a documentary about a closed soviet city, where activists are now trying to do things like get people the right kind of medical care but because their birth certificates all say they were born in the nearest not-secret city, the Russian government keeps telling them to go pound radioactive sand. But I can’t rememberer where I saw it.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
There are some Cold War related photos here: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/09/the-porsche-taycan-every-bit-as-good-as-a-200000-porsche-should-be/

We stumbled across a museum of East German tanks and poo poo while driving through Denmark.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Didn’t some British plane spotters get locked up in Greece a few years back for plane spotting.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I know Canadian defense procurement is a fiasco, but things are now so bad they have teams of squaddies stripping old cars for parts:

https://twitter.com/sascha_p/status/1217810998486237184

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

In the UK as well there has been a public sector pay freeze for around a decade now, which affected the military as well. There is also isn't the incentive to go into the military for healthcare/education either unlike the US.

It's also just kind of the case that the UK military just isn't that prestigious anymore thanks a lot of aforementioned neglect and corruption - the pride of the Royal Navy are it's two aircraft carriers but they are kind of just considered expensive boondoggles by a lot of people. One of them nearly got scrapped immediately after being built after all.

Mothballed, not scrapped.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

I don’t know if you’ve read Matt Taibbi in recent years, but he’s a full-blown Trump apologist.

It’s like being a Hugo Chavez fan because he was rude about GWB.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Phanatic posted:

That’s utterly ridiculous.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/taibbi-trump-2020-be-very-afraid-872299/

“Ten years ago, an African American won the White House in a landslide; today, the president is somewhere between a Klansman and Jimmy the Greek. The media legend is that Trump succeeds because he’s a racist, but this undersells it. Trump is 50 years behind the worst elements of the Republican Party, which spent decades carefully stuffing race under bromides like “states’ rights” and “free stuff.” The GOP now is in an all-out bucket brigade to rescue the dog whistle.”

If you think that’s apologia, I don’t know what to tell you. Taibbi, like Greenwald, has criticized the media for lousy reporting and failing to understand why Trump won. That’s not at all the same thing as being a fan of Trump.

If you’re stanning for Greenwald too there’s absolutely no point in us continuing with this.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

You reckon Trump will allow that to happen on his watch?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I haven't seen this video about the Sprint missile yet, and given the thread's hard-on for it, it's definitely pro-click as it shows *failed* launches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk9mvLFNqMQ

Thanks, it's been a couple of years since I last fell into a 1960s ABM rabbit hole. HIBEX was even crazier: http://www.alternatewars.com/WW3/WW3_Documents/DARPA/DARPA_II_HIBEX.htm

And there's now a cool virtual tour of the Safeguard site in North Dakota: https://seekbeak.com/v/g531BorKzBL?utm_source=SRMSCorg&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=Launch

I desperately want to visit it but it really is in the middle of loving nowhere.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

bewbies posted:

accelerating something that quickly in the lower atmosphere is an incredibly inefficient use of rocket fuel. More modern interceptors are way, way more efficient when it comes to the use of their fuel. there really isn't a whole lot of reason to go much past Mach 5 until you're in the upper atmosphere assuming you're interceptor is tied to a powerful modern radar.

Speaking of radar, Sprint was controlled from the ground by a 1MW beam that could get through the plasma that surrounding it as it burned through the sky at mach 10.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Oh. Has an engine that uses air to function. Jet, turbojet, piston, etc. Not ballistic ordnance or rocket engine.

Or a robot. Or a zombie. I guess vampires don’t need to breathe air either.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/01/not-a-straight-shooter-dod-review-cites-fleet-of-faults-in-f-35-program/

F-35 is still a fiasco, according to the DoD.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, I hope people have at least learned a lesson about concurrent design from all of this.

Between the F-35 and the Tesla Model 3 there are many dissertations waiting to be written on just how bad an idea concurrent design really is.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Edit: gently caress it, it’s not important.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

There is a very Cold War car for sale at the moment:

This is a Tatra 603 It's an East German limousine commonly used by Soviet satellite states. This one is rather unique, however, in that it was formerly owned by the PLO and was ostensibly used by either Yasser Arafat, or competing senior PLO members, or both. :stare:

The article has quite a bit more background on both the car itself and who it can be reasonably assumed used it, but goddamn what a thing to pop up for sale.

Excuse me but Tatra is extremely Czech and not at all German, and if you got that info from that article who knows what other extremely basic facts it also got wrong.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's good to remember there's a huge gap between "unclassified" and "releasable to the public". Your SSN is unclassified for instance, but government employees can't publish it. Lots of unclassified information from PII to ITAR to proprietary data comes with potential civil and criminal penalties for disclosure. Even if it doesn't it can be a bad idea.

Yes and that’s why the lowest level is a public trust clearance. Even I had one of those, and I’m a dirty foreigner. I only had to give all *my* PII to China in return.

gently caress you, OPM.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

FMguru posted:

We should be more like the British, who during the Cold War made sure that all their highest-level intelligence positions were filled by white Britons with impeccable backgrounds and who had attended all the best schools and could vouch for each other. I understand that worked out extremely well for the UK and its intelligence services.

It certainly fooled the head of counterespionage for the CIA for decades, didn’t it?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

I happen to know Eli. What makes this tweet even funnier is that he once refused to acknowledge the fact that the USSR posed more of an existential threat to the US than Al Qaeda.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
It’s a very commonly expressed sentiment

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

zoux posted:

What's his point, that MAD meant that the USSR never really posed a threat? Still struggling with the argument here

He’s a warmongering neocon and at the time his agenda was warmongering against the Islamic world. I’m not sure there was any point other than that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I thought MARVs were banned by SALT II?

Re: that twilight zone episode, it can’t be as bad as Antman (and the sequel) where the ICBM is skimming the ocean with all its stages still intact.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Why don't we call things cool names like Operation Plumbbob anymore?

Because they stopped using lists of random words and had to get all Operation Super Extreme High Speed Low Drag Badass Killing poo poo Eternally because the point was no longer to obscure the project but to sound like a high-speed, low-drag, big-beard badass.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

hypnophant posted:

I also think they're expecting to use modern high-bypass turbofans which have a much larger radius than the tf-33s; 54" diameter vs over 100" for something like a GEnx

It’s interesting that they’re looking at business jet engines and not widebody ones, but switching from 8-4 is probably too big a re-engineering job.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Nm, someone already effortposted.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Hush Kit article on the Monino air museum. Would love to visit it one day but for the fact it would involve visiting Russia, and there ain’t no way I’ll ever do that.

https://hushkit.net/2020/03/04/the-wise-report-the-monino-monoliths/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

And if we did I'm pretty sure the cruise liner wouldn't win.
url]

Odd that you’ve never heard of either the USS Fitzgerald or the USS McCain...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The fact that he wasn’t properly strapped in and basically got away with it is insane.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Speaking of ejections, didn't someone here have a story of an SR-71 (I think - definitely tandem plane) punch out? The story I remember is that in this case, the pilot could eject himself, both, or just the rear officer. In this case it was a recon mission over hostile territory, and the rear officer was freaking out. Rather than trying to deal with that, and knowing he could accomplish the mission solo, the pilot punched out the rear officer over friendly territory and finished it on his own.

Could be apocryphal, I could be getting a lot of details wrong or I could be conflating 2 completely different stories. But I think I remember a story to that effect coming from TFR.

I think you’re conflating a bunch of different stories because this doesn’t fit with any blackbird story I’ve heard, and I just finished reading Paul Crickmore’s massive blackbird book.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Godholio posted:

Jesus Christ we're quitting Open Skies because they flew over his golf course?

No, we’re doing it because it helps Russia.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

ArmyGroup303 posted:

Kinda. The U.S. Embassy in London is a pretty, modern glass office building next to the River Thames.

With a loving moat, iirc.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Ice Fist posted:

I was one of ~70,000 people to get a B1 flyover at a football game a few years ago (It was the only good thing that happened that night). No other flyover I've witnessed has come close to just the pure awe of a B1. It was incredible.

Some time in the 1990s I got to see a Vulcan and Concorde do a flyover together at some air show in SE England and it was amazing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Stravag posted:

Thats what i figured it would require to make either rhe yf23 or yf22 navalized just wanted to be sure

Edit : i hadnt even asked if the yf23 had the bay size required to be a jsf or if that would have been as much of a rework as the fb22 as well because there was no need for that much length on something competing to be the ultimate air to air assassin. Wasnt that the main hangup on multirole for the f22 before they got the SBDs?

Why do you correctly capitalize SBD but not YF-22, YF-23, or F-22? It makes my eyes hurt.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Sea Harrier vs F-15: fight! https://hushkit.net/2020/05/29/how-the-sea-harrier-clipped-the-f-15-eagles-wings-interview-with-commander-sharkey-ward-part-2/

Come for the inevitable nerd rage, stay for the slightly racist anecdote about the Italian Air Force.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, there was *another* fatal crash in the Snowbirds aerobatics team. I assume Canada is gonna replace the 1960s era tudors with something modern, right? That basic trainer the US just decided on? What the red arrows fly?

Of course not

I thought the last fatality was because of a bird strike? That would down a single-engine Hawk just as much as one of those wooden planes from the 1820s that Canada flies.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Please post in focus cat idiot.

A good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

The limited user tests (LUT) I’ve been a part of go really hard in data recording to figure out not just whether the thing works, but to find areas where it’s better to altar design, altar soldier training, or change whether operator vs contractor does certain fixes. Plus video, audio, digital recording, user surveys, maintenance logs, etc.

What’s it like working with the Swiss Guard?