Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

priznat posted:

Well for one you aren’t going to get notifications from coal plants like the one that happened by accident in Ontario yesterday causing mass pants making GBS threads

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/we-need-answers-mass-alert-about-pickering-nuclear-generating-station-sent-in-error-1.4763685

Logically yes, nuclear is a potentially cleaner and even safer option than GHG causing options but people by and large in large groups are neither logical or rational.

I think the reason it is successful in France especially in the west is due to the French weird blasé attitude to basically everything.

Yeah a coal plant releases uranium into the atmosphere when everything is working normally.

The coal burned for power in the US in 2017 itself contained enough uranium to fuel fifty 1000MW reactors for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NightGyr posted:

Current US arsenal, ~1.5 Gt. Peak arsenal had 5x the warheads, and probably a lot of larger ones, so let's say 15 Gt.

at 173,000 terawatts, that's 6 minutes of solar flux hitting the earth.

So we just need to MRSI the missiles to all go off within 6 minutes, and we can overpower the sun.

Weaksauce compared to dropping a big enough rock. In the Chicxulub impact, the forests of the entire hemisphere erupted in flame from the radiant glow of all the debris that didn't reach escape velocity reentering the atmosphere.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mazz posted:

You need a heater in most Diesel truck engines don’t you? At least when it’s actually cold outside

That's a totally different thing. Block heaters are about keeping the cold cold cylinder wall from sinking the heat of compression faster than the fuel vapors can reach their flash point.

poo poo like #6 Fuel oil or Bunker C has to be kept around 150°f or else it's too thick to flow through a pipe.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

priznat posted:

Welp I can’t see much else topping this, daymn

I saw Robocop when I was three.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ah. Physical vulnerability of defense critical infrastructure. That makes more sense, although I'm still not sure what statutory authority they'd have to stop publication. Or when they're going to learn about the Streisand Effect.

it was 2004, everyone was still way to deep in 9/11 freakout mode to ask questions

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nylon tow ropes will def. gently caress your world up though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGH_GUbdTeQ

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think that's a good thread idea, friend

Run it by TF's insurance company first

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Guest2553 posted:

If you think radially, every molecule of that leading edge is traveling at a slightly different speed which sounds like an affront to the laws of both god and man.

e:goddamnit

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm inclined to take the cruise line's account at face value since the Venezuelan story is that the cruise ship was staging troops for an amphibious invasion lmao

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:drat:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

The crew of an aircraft carrier shouting "fight the power!" is, I guess, the kind of things that happen now in this world that is ours.

https://twitter.com/AmberSmithUSA/status/1246052144115077120

I thought they were saying "boo-urns"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

Apropos of nothing, I once worked for a DoD agency that made a terribly unpopular decision that affected workforce pay, with the hardest hit being the newest and lowest paid. A senior leader sent an email to a mailing list that was basically "management-all" about how to break it to the employees during their performance reviews. It said words to the effect of "It's tempting to blame senior leadership, but don't. You must pretend with a straight face that we're right and they're wrong, even if we're plainly contradicting what we told the workforce a few months ago."

There's room at the top they're telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

maaaybe

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Somers_(1842)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

JcDent posted:

Reading this thread makes one wonder how US still has the world's most powerful military and you have to remind yourself that
a) the others are much smaller
b) everyone else probably has their own exciting grift, incompetence and gently caress ups.

Like India designing a rifle so bad it had to be replaced with mothballed AKs.

You don't have to run faster than the tiger, you just have to run faster than the guy behind you.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It took Canada 35 years to buy a helicopter

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nice

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

this ain't Sherman y'all

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

USS Immutable Mic

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Crossposting from the milhist thread since I figure y’all may be of more help for the second bit:

A couple of friends came to me for book recommendations (flattering) but I told them I’d ask people more knowledgeable than myself, so here I am. Neither of them are degenerate history nerds so they’re both looking for an approachable overview—like a book by a *journalist* would be alright so long as it isn’t bullshit.

First friend was looking for a book on the Khmer Rouge. Figured the scholarship has moved on since my high school paper “Pol Pot: Not so Hot” so I didn’t recommend that to him.

Second was looking for an overview of the war on terror during the Bush years. Perhaps not history yet but I trust y’all for recommendations on a still somewhat charged issue. She’d appreciate background on the subject so ideally it’d stretch into at least the firmly historical 80s, but she still did want discussion of US involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. Same goes for the first friend—they may not be degenerate history nerds like us, but they’re still good people and thus appreciate historical context.

Thanks in advance goons!

Not a book but the documentary "Enemies of the People" goes deep. Plan to leave a couple days open for nonstop crying after you watch it though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In all seriousness though, it's bullshit that that all the USS Atlanta's have been named after the city instead of the battle

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It's industrial espionage all the way down, the US licensed the Whitehead and then upsized it to fit a better powerplant, then those changes were copied back by the british, and then the soviets stole that design

E: Which was in turn ripped off by the PLN

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss-Leavitt_torpedo

quote:

The E. W. Bliss Company secured manufacturing rights to the Whitehead torpedo in 1892 and thereafter supplied the US Navy with this weapon.[3] In 1904, an engineer with E. W. Bliss, Frank M. Leavitt, designed a torpedo with a "single-stage vertical turbine engine"[2] that utilized compressed air preheated by alcohol. This design became the Bliss-Leavitt Mark 1 torpedo, the first non-Whitehead design after the Howell torpedo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_53_torpedo

quote:

Model 53-27 (1927) with 265 kg of TNT was developed domestically in the so-called Ostekhbureau [Wikidata], and it had a poor 3.7 km range at 45 knots. In 1932 USSR bought in Italy several types of torpedoes, and the 21-inch model of Whitehead plant in Rijeka (in the Soviet Union it was designated 53F) was considered superior. After adapting several features from the latter in unsuccessful 53-36 the decision was made to copy 53F.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 22, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wiegieman posted:

"After the flight, Maj. Shokraee-Fard had to wear a neck brace for six months while I suffered injuries to my knees which resulted in two surgeries after my retirement. The G meter was locked at 11.5Gs on the gauge..."

Jesus

In the context of engaging five enemy fighters during a check ride

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Top Gun was a daily fixture at my house during my early childhood and I always felt like I had missed big parts of it but then going back and watching it as an adult no, it really did just jump all over the place that fast. Days of Thunder was the same way.

Also yeah though definitely go watch it right now

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/SilvercorpUsa/status/1257098586409644032

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Valtonen posted:

Someone needs to retweet this to SOF recruiting and ask which MOS is the one here doing coke whilst planning Twitter coups.

Hunter Biden was 165X

(I'll show myself out)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:piss:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FMguru posted:

Microprose's F-19 Stealth Fighter was a pro, pro game.

I still fire up Strike Eagle II once in a while

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Y'know I think the reason Red October holds up so much better than most of Clancy's other work is that it's not a spy novel, but a heist flick masquerading as one.

Ryan sees an opportunity and convinces the gang to come together for a big score.

Imagine what could've been if Clancy had stuck to writing mystery, a thing he was good at.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

NightGyr posted:

Oh you can always airdrop them without a chute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YsSL65quM

Didn't a bunch of people go to turbojail for this because the cameramen had prior knowledge that someone had cut the lines?

E: nope busted to E-1 and BCD, he must've had some real good dirt on the commanders.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/05/09/soldier-found-guilty-of-cutting-parachute-straps-in-botched-humvee-air-drop/

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 11, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I still can't believe Northrop was able to keep Tacit Blue in the air with 70s control tech

LOOK at that goddam thing

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

They should've kept the GDR anthem after reunification, it owns

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I choose to believe it's a 17-fold improvement over Sprint

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Mach 170 is 130436 miles per hour, or about 36 miles per second. So atmospheric resistance is only going to be a concern for a fraction of a second before it leaves the atmosphere and, soon after, leaves the Earth's gravitational sphere of influence. If you aimed that at the moon it would get there in less than two hours.

it's about 10% of galactic escape velocity

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Saint Celestine posted:

Road mobile ballistic missiles, are the trailers a one-time use? As in launching it destroys it?

I believe most models can be reloaded but if you've already gone to the expense of building a nuclear missile, it's not like throwing another TEL into the budget is gonna matter.

Also once you're chucking ICBMs off the back of a truck it's probably not smart to plan on getting a follow-up shot

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Harold Haring, Stanislav Petrov, and Vasili Arkhipov

E: Sgt. Jeff Kennedy recieved a Letter of Reprimand for violating the two-man rule and entering the launch control center alone to read critical pressure gagues during the Little Rock Titan Silo fire before being med-boarded out of the AF due to injuries recieved during that incident

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 19, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

Where are the crew when this is happening?

Have they beat feat half a mile, or are they cowering in the (hopefully) safety of the cabin.

I'm assuming that exhaust cloud is super-toxic.

If it's anything like the solid fuel blend used for Polaris and the shuttle SRB's there's a fair bit of hydrochloric acid in the exhaust stream

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Godholio posted:

90 degree corners are bad, this was figured out half a millennium ago.

Jesus Christ we're quitting Open Skies because they flew over his golf course?

Pompeo's been pushing it for a long time

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

OC-135 go brrrrr

OC-135, you're fired

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That's why ditching airstairs was a mistake and the right answer to budget commercial jet bombers is "Poop ordnance out the back of a 727"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Log posted:

When I saw 40 new posts I quickly checked the news, expecting a war to have broken out.

didn't one?