Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

First time poster in this thread.
So what was the dumbest aircraft of the cold war?

Like in concept or in actual use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

While I'm all for nuclear power (fossil fuel extraction directly kills ten times more in a year than nuke plants ever have, not counting pollution) Westinghouse bankrupted itself building four new nuke plants in the American South. That's not encouraging. Would be interesting to pop over to the energy generation thread and ask why that happened.

Anyway to keep it Cold War, my vote for dumbest Cold War aircraft would also be the Thunderscreech.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of Britain, who did that long effortpost on how Cold War era Britain pissed away its empire through arrogance and incompetence?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

glynnenstein posted:

My favorite Cold War picture is from Ukraine 2015:

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm sure we're all shocked at the behavior of our humble and stalwart allies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This. During the day, the shadier the spot in the high desert, the more you need to be on the lookout. And since big planes cast big shadows, and also provide kickass shelter, it's wise to be wary walking around the unpaved part of the Blackbird Airpark.

They should be in hibernation around now, but will be rousing soon-ish.

-----

Also, here's a Cold War as gently caress story for the new thread:

In late July of '89, in the spirit of ~Glasnost~, three Soviet ships visited NOB Norfolk: A Slava (Marshal Ustinov), a Sovremenny (Otlichnyy), and a replenishment oiler (Genrikh Gasanov) because lol Russian Blue Water Navy. Their on-shore visits were *heavily* chaperoned, on both sides of the fence, but my parents and I were in Lynnhaven Mall in Virginia Beach one weekend afternoon when all of a sudden FBI and their Slavic counterparts were *everywhere* - the Russian Navy was invading the mall. They'd not announced the activity in advance except to select media outlets, and since social media wasn't a thing back then, they were reasonably sure they'd be able to let a bunch of Gopnik Nobles and sailors run around an American shopping mall for an hour or two without people burning the place down, protesting, or picking a fight (it was Hampton Roads in the 80s, home of no-necks who *still* troll bars around Dam Neck and Little Creek looking for SEALS to fight).

Needless to say we were kinda surprised to see a bunch of in-uniform Russians and their FBI/GRU minders wandering slack-jawed around the mall, but the enduring memories I have are of:
- Russians flipping the gently caress out over Chick-Fil-A. You could see word of mouth spreading as they just *gravitated* toward it.
- Exasperated Kay-Bee toy store clerks trying to deal with a huge long line of sailors trying to buy Barbie dolls and G.I. Joe toys for their kids.
- Little kids kicking the dogshit out of Russian sailors in the arcade, while they cursed up a loving storm (might not have understood the words, but you can't mistake the tenor of some speech, and I remember "Suka Blyat") and laughed at each other's fuckups and getting beaten by children.

I just assume there were no Levis or Jordache jeans left in the mall by the time they loaded them back up in busses and left.

Did they wear their little striped sailor suits?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My nuclear Winnebago can defeat all countermeasures.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

My favorite detail of Chicxulub is that it almost certainly deafened every living thing on earth.

Not the plants, surely.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey I used to be friends with an air force computer janitor. But his computer was in orbit, and instead of taking selfies it took ruskies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Friedman was a joke 15 years ago.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

drgitlin posted:

I donít know if youíve read Matt Taibbi in recent years, but heís a full-blown Trump apologist.

Itís like being a Hugo Chavez fan because he was rude about GWB.

???

?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's a hell of a tangled metaphor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PURITY TEST ROUND ONE

DRGITLIN

vs

PHANATIC

FIGHT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If they ever name a ship after Trump Iran and China have my personal permission to shoot it with an ASM.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Culture series is space opera by a writer whose other job was Real Literature. So it's chock full of non-traditional narrative structure, unreliable narrators, ambiguous protagonists, and surprise changes of perspective. My favorite is probably the book Matter where the first chapter is entirely 14th century feudal politics with few hints that this isn't just high fantasy. The second chapter is a cyberpunk assassination on high speed hoverbike. Definitely space opera but also definitely not an easy read.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 19, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Can't think of a Star Destroyer with a lame name. Empire is my go-to when something needs a badass name for an exercise or whatever.

Pretty sure Star Destroyer names are all taken from the British Empire.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

USS Darude Sandstorm

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

USS Iran-Contra

what? it means we're against Iran!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 19, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Trident about doubles the yield.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The British navy was in a similarly sorry state in the late 19th century. When you haven't fought a surface action in 60 years stuff like firepower eventually falls pretty far down on the list of priorities.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Funny how kings and presidents stopped waging war as soon as the bombs could reach their palaces.

Probably a coincidence.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is must-see TV for the milhist crowd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF4xxYXwLok

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there a juicy controversy?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's an example of something he's wrong about?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I can't say I have any personal knowledge about tanks, but Moran is the only person I've ever seen get access to a Swedish strv. There's also the fact that he crewed tanks in Iraq.

I can see how people can find his style annoying.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Little can strong. Big can no strong.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Karenina posted:

If the Albanians didn't want to be nuked into the Stone Age, they shouldn't have kept Soviet air-defense radar on their soil. Just dump it into the Adriatic, problem solved, you don't get nuked.

Or build more bunkers, I guess.

Albania built more than 3000 bunkers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's more than 3,000

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo did you guys know USS Houston killed a guy while they were filming for Hunt for Red October? It snagged a tow cable in passing and sank a tugboat attached to a barge.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 30, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Yikes

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is that not an inlet just starboard (for you landlubbers: starboard means west) of the cockpit?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What with the virus in the news, foreign policy just ran a story on how the current Administration has hollowed out the Staffing for the pandemic response bureaucracy Obama set up.

It makes me wonder how the emergency response for a nuclear strike was set up back in the Cold War era. Does anyone want to share?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am reading Command and Control now. It's good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry I don't know that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love it. The first thing you have to do to launch the missiles is complete paperwork.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm reading Command and Control right now and the US Gov. projected casualty figures for a nuclear exchange with the Russians are wild. 60% of the population dead or injured on day one. No thanks!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What good is a laser on a submarine?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Britannica:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Have Doughnut is such a great name for a secret operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe it would be wrong to expect the water they were wading through to be heavily contaminated. After all, fire fighting water that contacted the core itself probably vaporized rather than flowing down into the sumps.