Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There's not a SEAPOWER thread (though my dad used to get this big encylcopedia of ships and weapon system from the navy league every year called SEAPOWER and man would I sperg over that), so I'll ask this here. The old thread mentioned in passing that the US Navy has problems crewing all it's ships adequately and in the milhist thread someone mentioned similar problems in the Royal Navy. What's the deal? Nobody joins the navy anymore or is there something else going on? Too many ships we don't need requiring too much maintenance or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've always thought the Royal Navy had way cooler names. Dreadnought, Victory, Indomitable, Nemesis, Inflexible, Indefatigable, Warspite, Iron Duke, Black Prince, Conqueror, Thunderer gently caress yeah.

George H.W. Bush? not quite as terrifying

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

piL posted:

Minelayers and Minesweepers named so you wouldn't get confused:
USS Trapper, USS Barricade, USS Bastion, USS Obstructor, USS Annoy, USS Palisade, USS Defense, USS Detector, USS Bulwark, USS Guide.

Pretty Cool Minesweeper Names
Most of the bird ones, USS Adroit, USS Daring, USS Engage, US Fierce, USS Swift, USS Pioneer, USS Pursuit, USS Seer, USS Skill, USS Swerve, USS Admirable, USS Arcade, USS Aspire, USS Augury, USS Captivate, USS Compel, USS Deft, USS Disdain, USS Hilarity, USS Knave, USS Gallant, USS Spear, USS Nimble, USS Saunter, HMS Friendship, USS Lucid, USS Acme.

Minesweepers and Mine Countermeasures ships named things too cool, presumably to screw with enemy intelligence:
USS Revenge, USS Sentinel, USS Alchemy, USS Armada, USS Assail, USS Bombard, USS Elusive and USS Illusive, USS Execute, USS Fancy, USS Impervious, USS Invade, USS Peril, USS Phantom, USS Pirate, USS Ransom, USS Sentry, USS Specter, USS Champion, USS Devastator, USS Gladiator, USS Triumph, USS Fearless, USS Impervious, USS Reaper, USS Liberator, USS Gorgan, USS Terror.

Minesweepers named other navy words presumably to make things confusing to enemy intelligence:
USS Armada, USS Pilot, USS Tide, USS Buoyant, USS Report, USS Security, USS Skipper, USS Chief.

Minesweepers with ties to the kink scene:
USS Firm, USS Force, USS Climax, USS Control, USS Penetrate, USS Dominant, USS Endurance, HMS Cuckoo.
This made me read about minesweepers and I didn't realize many of them were built with wooden hulls to reduce magnetic signature. Makes a bit more sense with the LCS supposedly taking over minesweeping that one class of them has an aluminum hull.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I am way behind the times and am just now reading about the DD(X)/Zumwalt fiasco and lol they don't have any ammunition for the guns because each round was going to cost as much as a Tomahawk?! Is there any effort being made to make conventional ammunition for the Advanced Gun System, or is that just throwing good money after bad since I'm not sure how useful shore bombardment really is? I guess a shell is probably harder to shoot down than a missile, but don't the Israeli's or someone have stuff for shooting down mortars etc? Do they have any actually useful armament or are they just floating piles of sensors that are hard to detect? I guess a sneaky spy ship is sort of useful, but they seem mighty expensive for just being a toothless sneaky ship.

I read that the LRLAP was theoretically accurate to within ~150 ft at ~80 nautical miles which seems pretty impressive (and it ought to be at $1,000,000/rd!), but how accurate is modern artillery generally? I was always very impressed reading about WW1 Dreadnought actions where they seem to be able to hit a pretty skinny ship at 20,000+ yards with stereoscopic manual rangefinders, so presumably this has improved considerably.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Navy wants to retire the first 4 LCS ships already.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/32148/the-navy-now-wants-to-retire-the-first-four-of-its-troublesome-littoral-combat-ships

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mortabis posted:

I know I bang on about this a lot but just imagine how many more ships everyone would have if everyone just got their naval vessels from say South Korea, which can actually build ships economically.
I was talking with my naval architect uncle about this recently and he mentioned not just that, but also that there is very little crossover between civilian and military ship construction in the US. There's tons of small yards on the gulf coast that spit out pretty decent size crew/oil & gas service boats, and if you could figure out how to bolt on some guns and sensors, you could get a fighting ship for much cheaper than starting from scratch. Imagine the P-8 program that used a basically proven civilian design and stuck some hardware in it but for ships. How many VLS tubes could you fit on a boilerplate PANAMAX supertanker? Except the navy would want it to do 40 knots, have advanced sonar and radar systems, and probably be nuclear powered and able to launch helicopters, torpedoes, and landing craft.

That and I imagine if Hyundai Heavy Industries had to deal with NAVSEA and stuff a bulk carrier full of sensitive electronics and weapons systems, they wouldn't be quite so cheap.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oh I didn’t mean to imply the South Koreans don’t know how to build ships-they are far and away the best at it, and at half the price of an Arleigh Burke, that seems like something we really ought to consider.

That being said, Pascagoula and Bath are gonna need waaaay more than a billion dollars worth of meth and opioid counseling if the yards there ever close. I try to see the upside of incredibly wasteful military (and especially naval) procurement as the modern CCC-making work for people and hopefully the nation gets something useful in return. We could do better on the ‘making sure they’re making something useful’ part for sure.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Comic Cowboys are pretty infamous for their edgy bad-taste, but Mobile has held a grudge again Boeing since the KC-X fiasco where Airbus won the competition and was going to build a big new assembly plant in Mobile, but Boeing protested and it got into nasty politics, prompting a senator from washington state to say :

Patty Murray posted:

“I have stood on the line in Everett, Washington where we have thousands of workers who go to work every day to build these planes. I would challenge anybody to tell me that they've stood on a line in Alabama and seen anybody build anything.”
Naturally she and Boeing are not well liked in the state of Alabama, and so there's just a touch of schandenfreude in watching Boeing suffer.

(Airbus did build a huge, 1M sq ft, manufacturing facility in Mobile anyway, assembling A320's and now Bombardier CSeries things they are calling the A220 that has been quite successful)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

zoux posted:

*stares in LIberty ship*
Yeah ADDSCO built like 100 tankers and a score of Liberty ships in WW2, not to mention Redstone Arsenal and Anniston Army Depot or Alabama's huge auto industry (4th-5th in the nation).

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

joat mon posted:

It's the Embraer Super Tucano.
Am I understanding this right that the USAF is paying $64 million each for a plane Wikipedia says costs $9-18 million and it is going to take 4 years to build something I am sure comes off the line at Embraer in a week? Where’s the extra, uh, $40m per plane going?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It's partly a trick of perspective and distance, but this photo really shows how fuckin huge B-52s are.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

shame on an IGA posted:

I thought they were saying "boo-urns"

It sounds to me like they are chanting ‘Captain Crozier’

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Out of historic curiosity, has there ever been a mutiny on a US Navy ship? I’m familiar with a few in the Royal Navy but my USN history isn’t so great.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The Admiral Kuznetsov and a Gerald Ford class look to be about the same size on the flight deck (according to Wikipedia dimensions, at least) but the Kuznetsov seems to only carry 30 aircraft vs like 75 for a Ford-class and crews of 1700 vs 5000. Is the Kuznetsov actually much smaller than the flight deck length/beam numbers would suggest?

E: looking at the tonnage, Kuznetsov is like 50-60% of the tonnage of a Nimitz

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 8, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

aphid_licker posted:

Kind of impressive that comms were fast enough that you could have a political debate based on the first day of a battle. Like the news would have to be generated ("oh poo poo this is bad"), transmitted, disseminated, and then the guys it got disseminated to would have to meet up (maybe in the night or early the next morning) to have the discussion.
I think the ACW is the first war to happen in more or less 'real time' both for the news-consuming public and the politicians/military staff in Washington/Richmond.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think the point was that the Overland campaign was a series of tactical defeats/draws, but an overall strategic victory. Grant was the one who was able to hold the Army of the Potomac together through some very serious morale setbacks/problems AND maintain Lincoln’s confidence in his abilities.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

aphid_licker posted:

How the gently caress, even by Russian standards, can you get away with throwing a loving doctor out of a window

If everyone thinks they will get thrown out of a window for disagreeing with you, you can throw anyone out of a window.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

large hands posted:

Captain Tom got a promotion to colonel and a Spitfire/Hurricane flypast for his 100th

https://twitter.com/BBCBreakfast/status/1255774360134193154

drat those planes sound badass

Hurricanes and Spitfires (especially spits) are two of the most handsome planes ever built.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mazz posted:

On that note:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33249/navy-picks-italian-shipbuilder-to-build-its-new-ffg-x-guided-missile-frigate

I'm pretty shocked they actually made a good decision here; there are a whole bunch of FREMMs out there now and they are well regarded AFAIK. This is a good, low(er) risk pick that is all around pretty capable.
Huh. Does the Navy ever use other countries designs sort of off the shelf like that? I didn't know Marinette Marine could build something that big-the LCSes are the biggest thing they've built and they're 100' shorter than the FREMM and half the tonnage.

I didn't know AustalUSA was bidding as a prime contractor either....with a stretched out Independence class LCS. Ingalls apparently was going to use a variation of the National Security Cutter, which has maybe been a moderately successful design?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mazz posted:

Yeah ESSM Block II, at least on paper, is a very impressive medium range SAM that while quad packed into VLS really starts jumping into Ace Combat loadouts.

The other thing about ESSM I’ve read is the current missile is small enough that if you slapped its own (modified) booster on it again as a second stage you get like 70nm+ of range and you can still quad pack them in the tactical length VLS. My assumption is the Block 3 will be doing something like that, probably a different booster though; I’ve read the HARM engine would be promising. If that happens than the FFG(X) or any other Corvette/Frigate with Mk41/57 quickly becomes like a full fleet air defense capable picket ship. Not quite SM-2 or 6 but remarkably close for 4x the magazine.

Just to emphasize the craziness of quad packs, a Burke with all 96 tubes carrying ESSM Block 2 has 384 active radar SAMs on board, all ready to fire.

It really comes down to the fact the Navy was absolutely not going with a clean sheet design and the cost (and time) that process entails. You also really needed to have a yard in the US to build them; the comment about France knowing the US wouldn’t buy a foreign produced ship is true in the sense that there’s about a -30% chance Congress would give that much work to a foreign yard. Every entry was a US yard or a partnership to build at one. Those two things limit your options pretty notably.

What I think is interesting is that Lockheed is building upgraded Freedom class for Saudi Arabia that are a good amount of the way to the FFG(X) but dropped out of the race pretty early. I’m curious if it’s because they didn’t think it would make it or if they saw building FREMMs as Marinette as the better horse in the race. Freedoms are currently built at Marinette and LM is a minority owner there.

Also HII never actually released much to any details about their entrant, I think everyone just assumes it was a modified Legend class cutter.
How do VLS tubes work? Obviously you can stick whatever missile will fit in there, but are they able to be reloaded by the ship carrying them, or does that have to be done in port? Are there missile tenders like old submarine tenders? I guess how flexible is the missile loadout, and how easily is it changed is what I don't know.

It seems like Marinette is going to be very very busy if they are still building LCSes and FFGx (which I think will be the biggest thing they've ever built?). I thought Fincantieri owned them entirely-didn't realize Lockheed still had a stake.

I wonder if Ingalls didn't really want/couldn't handle the work? They are pretty busy building LPDs, the legend class cutters, and I think still a few Arleigh Burkes.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 3, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sperglord posted:

I have a Cold War question - why were the Norwegian Fjords seen as idea operating grounds for aircraft carriers?

I would guess the sides of the fjords are taller than the aircraft carrier, making it much harder/impossible to spot from sea level radar and somewhat trickier to spot from airborne radar?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cyrano4747 posted:

Bitcoin is stupid hard to cash out right now. There was some goon in one of the financial threads a while ago who knew someone who had to unload high six figures last year, when there was still some demand, and it had to be dribbled out over months and months. If it stays high l, whatever, but you’re kind of stuck if it nosedives.

Look up some graphs of the trade volume. That’s what you really need to track to figure out how easy it is to liquidate an asset.

People getting huge capital gains/spikes in their income and not saving any cash back to pay the taxes has provided some great fodder for the Bad With Money thread in BFC.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mazz posted:

Some quick videos on the FFG(X) that cover things like why the 57mm and what Marinette is going to do to build them

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3_a1ce81LA

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_h2wvccz0k

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5T9ee7Gjys

This is interesting, thanks for posting.

Several people mention that the ship is primarily an ASW vessel, but as far I can tell it has no torpedoes. Do the helicopters do all the actual sub-killing and the ship is just a base/mothership for them, or can some sort of ASW thing get shot out of the VLS tubes?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I was under the impression that they’d quit building Freedom-class ones already because they had even more problems than the Independence and because that yard was gonna start building the new frigates. I think Marinette Marine/Fincantoeri may have to do big infrastructure construction at the yard? It doesn’t look big enough to build frigates on google earth and doesn’t really have a drydock IIRC. They build/launch the LCS on big rolling units and slide them into the river-maybe that works for something 100’ longer too.

E: looked it up and per Wikipedia, Marinette has facilities to launch ships up to 4500 tons and the new frigates are 6700 tons. I’m sure absolutely nothing will go wrong!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 16, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My optimistic/unlikely take is that recognizing the DPR/LPR and sending in 'peacekeepers' is all Putin will do...for now. It gives him an easy win for domestic consumption/saves face, lots of nice footage of Russian tanks protecting our Russian brethren, doesn't start a huge shooting war, doesn't trigger massive sanctions, and lets him humiliate Ukraine because what're they gonna do about it with 190k Russian troops on their borders, and if they do try to do something, then Russia can claim that the Ukrainians started the shooting. Let the 'separatists' keep fighting the Ukrainian army (presumably with some deniable support from Russian troops) and secure any gains with Russian troops the Ukrainians may not want to shoot at for fear of starting a Big War. Putin can keep trying to collapse the current Ukrainian government by other means, wait for a while for the west to forget about all this and get some more separatists going somewhere else, rinse, wash, and repeat, always just below the line where the west really does something.

But I doubt that's what's really happening.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Akion posted:

Is that clear packing tape over his eyes or just a weird angle thing with glasses?

Its packing tape or shrink wrap or something. There's a video in the comments of that tweet where his captors get him to call his parents. He has a, uh, major bruise on his forehead it looks like.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Shumagorath posted:

Didn't Russia run this exact playbook in Georgia?

Very similar but Georgia is/was much more firmly in the 'far away country about which we know little' category than Ukraine which has more people than Spain and borders several EU countries.

I think Georgia's separatist conflicts go all the way back to the breakup of the USSR (like South Ossetia/Akhazia have been de facto independent since the mid 90's?) and Russia did a better job in 2008 of provoking Georgia to respond to separatist attacks and creating muddier optics of who started what than they seem to have done in 2022 Ukraine.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Why was the Russian quest for a warm-water port always focused on Crimea? From google maps it looks like they have a pretty big port/shipyards and maybe Navy base at Novorossiysk on the other side of the Sea of Azov? Obviously Sevastopol is a fantastic natural harbor, but is there something I'm missing about geography/hydrography that makes a port like Novorossiysk vastly worse than Sevastopol?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Are drones less visible to radar or something because of their smaller size? What's the big advantage vs. conventional aircraft? Presumably cheaper, easier to train pilots, maybe easier to maintain? Obviously also no pilot at risk of being shot down/killed/captured. What are the trade offs?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Akion posted:

Is there a good read on the likely strategy for Russia moving forward? Are they planning to try and encircle Kyiv?

It seems like, at this point, if they can't shut off the flow of material in from the East they aren't going to do well unless they kill literally everyone.
Someone posted this here or in the GiP thread and it seemed pretty plausible to me. https://warontherocks.com/2022/02/interpreting-the-first-few-days-of-the-russo-ukrainian-war/

tl;dr is that Russia tried a bold plan for a quick victory that hasn't worked out for a number of reasons, but they'll likely change their approach to be more conventional and grinding and involve a whole lot more big guns. They haven't advanced much in the last 2 days because they're waiting on supplies and reorganizing, but when they start advancing again it is likely to be a very different picture from what we have seen so far. While the Ukrainians have had some substantial tactical successes that we've all seen on twitter, they've mostly been fighting a relatively small chunk of the Russian forces arrayed against them. The Ukrainian operational position is pretty bad. The large Russian advances in the south from Crimea and encirclement/bypassing of Kharkiv seem likely to link up and trap the bulk of the Ukranian Army in eastern Ukraine.

My uninformed armchair take after listening to that is that getting the main body of the UA out of eastern Ukraine could be tricky and likely not feasible (possibly not desirable for Ukranian morale either, idk), especially if the Russian air force appears and it is Ukrainian forces in miles long traffic jams on roads, not Russians. NATO is not going to come save them, with good reason, and unless there is massive popular revolt at home/Putin falls down the stairs/massive Russian mutinies, it is probably going to get increasingly ugly for Ukraine. Maaaaybe the pain of sanctions and the Ukrainians' stiff resistance can make it painful enough that they can bring Putin to the table before it turns into a really, really nasty and bad for everyone insurgency. Maybe the Russian Army is really a complete clusterfuck, maybe there is a huge crash in Russian morale, but from my armchair I don't see an end for this that doesn't involve some likely substantial concessions from Ukraine.

I was pretty hopeful until I listened to that podcast :(

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

zoux posted:

What best-case outcome do you guys think is plausible, assuming our view of the war as reported in Western outlets is reasonably accurate.

I think at minimum, Ukraine cedes Crimea and at least the parts of Donetsk/Luhansk controlled by separatists before the invasion to Russia. At this point Putin is such a pariah internationally, I don't see that he has much reason to back down unless there is a problem domestically. As much as this has hurt the oligarchs, I think he has them on a fairly tight leash, unfortunately.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've got my money on military coup if it actually comes down to people needing him out. I don't know the internal political landscape of the Russian military to say whether or not that's likely, but at the end of the day it's probably the most realistic angle for him leaving office.
Hopefully they can manage a coup better than an invasion!

I would honestly be surprised if Ukraine comes out of this with its sovereignty in tact. If I were them I would trade territory for sovereignty at the negotiating table, but I’m not sure that’s what Putin really wants. Everything I’ve read is that Putin genuinely believes that the continued existence of the Ukrainian state poses a mortal threat to Russia.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mortabis posted:

Just something I'm pondering. So suppose the Russians eventually take over all of Ukraine as folks in the know are mostly predicting. The IRA never had more than like what 1000 militants at any time? It seems a near certainty there will be enough angry people with access to frighteningly advanced weapons to make occupying Ukraine exceedingly dangerous. I mean, I think Russia can get most of the population to heel. But the place is loving swimming in Stinger missiles, anti-tank missiles, mines, explosives, etc.

I've seen some people skeptical about anyone's willingness to carry on an insurgency but I just can't see how it doesn't happen.
I'm really not sure what's gonna happen at all. Putin's stated war goal of a 'disarmed and neutral' Ukraine seems vague enough to allow for many outcomes where he can still claim victory. Does that mean russian 'peacekeepers' and an insurgency for the rest of forever? Maybe. Does it mean Ukraine actually does some kind of disarmament, pledges never to join NATO or host any foreign troops, and is allowed to go about it's business with Zelensky as president? Maybe. Does it mean Ukraine has to give Russia Crimea and the Donbas, disarm, pledge to never join NATO or the EU, and host some military bases but still be basically democratic? Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if Ukraine was happy to take the second, maybe even third, option right now and wait out Putin, but I don't think anyone really knows what offer is actually on the table. I think Ukraine would rather avoid fighting a really nasty insurgency because that's a terrible option for everyone, but if it seems like the least bad option, I don't doubt they will take it.

The more I think about it, the more I sometimes think 'nasty insurgency' is what Putin wants. I don't think he cares too much about his soldiers' lives, and a nasty insurgency would pretty much guarantee that Ukraine is a broken nation, not a threat, and not joining the EU/NATO for a generation.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Did anything ever come of the alleged mysterious explosions in Belarus last night or was that all twitter noise?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kaal posted:

Rumsfeld and the other business executive-types loved the idea of doing less with more, and other corporate jargon poo poo. The LCS was supposed to be highly automated and intended for coastal environments where the larger destroyers are vulnerable to speed boats and shore attacks. Then they roped in some guided artillery ideas to help justify a naval investment given that the US had just entered Iraq and Afghanistan. And they added some other prototype concepts like aluminum shells, catamaran hulls, equipment modularity, rolling upgrades, and competing ship designs. Then it all predictably fell apart, because none of the features were particularly useful if they even worked at all, leaving the Navy with a bunch of useless PT boats that no one wants. They're decommissioning them as fast as they're being built, with several having only a few years of "service".

They’ve always seemed like a cool experimental concept to learn from, especially the Independence class, but something they should have built 3 of like the Zumwalts not fuckin 60 of.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kaal posted:

The Freedom-class series basically aren't sea-worthy, which is why they've been first on the chopping block for years now. The design is just inherently top-heavy, and it also has significant engine and transmission issues. It's possible that Saudi Arabia might want them since they ordered some significantly modified ones back in 2019. But refitting old ones probably wouldn't be worth the money, so it'd be a hard sell.

This article is filled with delightful quotes for those who want to know more:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craigh...sh=529879021649
Are the problems with the Freedom class mostly design problems or poor construction/shipyard problems or all of the above? I think the yard that built them got the contract to build the the new frigates (which seem to at least be a proven, existing design).

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Potato Salad posted:

Kinda? No....I'd argue Zumwalt wasn't an iterative facelift of DDGs. Just from an operations standpoint, where basically none of the crew was less than some kind of engineering specialist...no.

Forgive me for thinking that it seems kind of obvious to just take a Burke or a missile frigate, apply some modernizations to systems keeping up with the Joneses, and maybe install a drone storage and control module. I think that Zumwalt was an attempt to evolve into a space that doesn't exist.

I know very very little about surface warfare, beyond "wow! what a convenient place to stage ginormous ASAT capabilities"
Originally, and LCS was supposed to cost $220 million, and the idea was born in the early 2000s in the GWOT when the USN had no real peer military threats, but thought it was going to be fighting off jihadis/pirates off the coast of everywhere, and in that context, and in addition to all of the above re: manning and automation from Cyrano et al., it's not a completely terrible idea. It was designed to maybe take a few hits from an RPG or something, not fend off a sophisticated anti-ship missile. The modular stuff was probably always a pipedream and maybe everyone knew it, but it sure made the ships sound like a much better idea and a closer to a potential frigate replacement.

Reality is the things cost twice what they were supposed to (and close to 3x now I think), there turned out to not be jihadis in speedboats off the coast of everywhere, and they just aren't all that useful if there are no jihadis in speedboats to run down. Instead of getting 6 LCS for the price and complement of an Arleigh Burke, you get like 3.5 LCS and they don't always work that good.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I am extremely doubtful that Russia is negotiating in good faith and I have to imagine any ceasefire is immediately going to be ‘broken’ by the ‘Ukrainians’ and now we have to start launching rockets again. We tried so hard to make peace, but those dastardly Ukrainians attacked us!

The whole ‘I must meet Zelensky 1 on 1 thing’ is weird as hell too and just seems like a kidnapping/assassination setup.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Count Roland posted:

It will be interesting to see how Ukraine and the West adapt to the change in Russian goals. How much is Ukraine willing to pay for territory in and around Donbass? Is the West prepared to loosen or drop sanctions if Russia stops attacking? The West is very keen to punish Russia and deter it from future invasions. On the other hand this war is already doing very bad things to global food markets and if the spring crop is not sown in Ukraine things will get even more dire.
My armchair bet is we get a 'ceasefire' at lines current on whenever the ceasefire happens (probably not until Mariupol falls since it seems fairly clear that a corridor between Donbas and Crimea is important to Russian war aims). Russian troops withdrawing from NE Ukraine where they haven't had much success is probably both because they aren't getting anywhere and also possibly to make a ceasefire at lines on X day more palatable to Ukraine and get them to drop their 'all Russian forces leave Ukraine' demand. Ukraine signs a neutrality thing (maybe with security guarantees, but who knows who will actually sign up for that with a lukewarm war still going), abandons NATO ambitions, etc.

Negotiations about the status of Crimea/Donbas/other Russian occupied territory are supposed to take place after the ceasefire, they never get anywhere and the ceasefire line becomes the new de facto border. Putin gets to keep Ukraine on tenterhooks wondering if the ceasefire will hold and presumably still gently caress around with their internal politics and pursue the regime change he wants internally. I'm sure there will be enough provocations and random bouts of shelling along that ceasefire line to give either side ample reasons to take the war hot again and keep anyone from sleeping too soundly, and the world gets another semi-frozen post-soviet conflict. The west gets tired of high gas prices and slowly drops sanctions as the crisis wears off and public sentiment shifts away from 'bad russia!!' to 'muh gas prices!' It's probably the best cost/benefit win for Putin at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cyrano4747 posted:

Either way, the US is still clear cutting forests for biomass export, especially in the south.
Eh, sort of. Most of what gets used for biomass stuff is plantation pine that was planted 25 years ago to feed paper mills. We have computers now and don't use nearly as much paper as we used to and there is a huge glut of wood, especially in the pine belt of the southeast. Maybe in the PNW they are actually clearcutting virgin timber for biomass, but that's usually high grade stuff that gets turned into lumber. The US grows much, much more wood than it harvests.

Plantation forestry for pulpwood or biomass is basically row-cropping but with a crop that takes 15-20 years to mature. Those are forests, but in name only, there's not a whole lot of biodiversity there. Biomass may be renewable and more or less net zero (except all the diesel that gets burned in harvesting and transporting and replanting), but I'm not sure it is a particularly good use of hundreds of thousands of acres of timberland etc.