Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

K8.0 posted:

The problem is that clock management and his other game management failures are about half of what you need the guy with the title "Head Coach" to do. Other coaches with flaws that aren't related to mid-game decisions can possibly hire people to help them in areas where they suck. The problem with Reid is specifically that you need someone else to be the guy in charge of running the game.

Okay, thank you for your insights.

Now back to BOB and the criminal wastes of fantastic players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

K8.0 posted:

It's not that he lacks talent, he clearly has a ton of it. It's that he has completely disqualifying flaws in a part of the job that someone else cannot do for him.

But it hasn’t stopped him from being one of the most successful coaches of his generation

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Andy Reid has zero rings, therefore he is equally bad as every other coach who doesn’t have a ring, and inferior to every coach who has one, like Gary Kubiak

General Dog posted:

Almost every coach has is going to have a weakness as crippling as Andy Reid’s clock management, it’s just that most of them aren’t as visible to the naked eye.

If I have a coach who can reliably win 11-13 games a year, I’m honestly fine never winning the playoff. I think I’d rather have a decade of sustained success than one fluke year where everything comes together amidst a long run of mediocrity.

This might be the most I've ever agreed with General Dog posts but yes. Agreed.

ALSO gently caress BoB

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

kalensc posted:

Now back to BOB and the criminal wastes of fantastic players.

BOB is worse because he doesn't deserve nearly as much credit for the talent he wastes.

He's also got at least another 5 years of NFL head coaching one way or another because NFL owners suck unbelievably bad at picking coaches.

Reminder that Jerry Jones process for selecting a new head coach involved obtaining the blessing of the old head coach who wasn't good enough.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bilbo brian

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Someone who understands how a clock works?

Name names, who would you rather have that could realistically be hired as a coach?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Same OP

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
BoB is good

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
if I were a texans fan yeah I'd be crying and yelling about wanting to fire BoB

his team gave up a 24 point lead and then got outscored 51-7 the rest of the game. and that game would mean home field in the championship game, so blowing that kind of lead is inexusable. like you gotta know not to play zone against Mahomes, he's going to burn you on it.

if the chiefs had lost I'd be yelling about firing Reid tho

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

spacemang_spliff posted:

if I were a texans fan yeah I'd be crying and yelling about wanting to fire BoB

his team gave up a 24 point lead and then got outscored 51-7 the rest of the game. and that game would mean home field in the championship game, so blowing that kind of lead is inexusable.

if the chiefs had lost I'd be yelling about firing Reid

I don't think Reid and BoB are remotely comparable in this.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
BoB's decision to punt on that 4th and short instead of going for the dagger was so dumb and so cowardly that he deserved everything that happened after. I don't know how to explain it, but I know if they scored a TD and went up 28-0 they would have held on.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

fartknocker posted:

His chin is his rear end.

Every time I see him, I can't stop staring at that stupid buttcrack on his face

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

General Dog posted:

Almost every coach has is going to have a weakness as crippling as Andy Reid’s clock management, it’s just that most of them aren’t as visible to the naked eye.

If I have a coach who can reliably win 11-13 games a year, I’m honestly fine never winning the playoff. I think I’d rather have a decade of sustained success than one fluke year where everything comes together amidst a long run of mediocrity.

IDK that's basically the chiefs (except for the Cassel years). Reid can pretty much get you 10 wins with whatever but you'll do just well enough in the playoffs to give you hope of a win before like Marcus Mariota completes a pass to himself for a TD.

I'd rather go 2-14 and lmao the whole time than just be mediocre, the Cassel years were hilarious to watch.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

BoB sucks, but whatever, he wanted to guarantee he go up four scores.

Problem was he needed to be up eight scores.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Chichevache posted:

I don't think Reid and BoB are remotely comparable in this.

Reid's had some inexplicable losses is what I'm saying.

IDK enough about BoB to make an argument that he is or isn't like Reid though.

edit: But I did see some Reid decision making in BoB today. I think Reid might have made the same decision to go for the easy 3 points.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Metapod posted:

BoB is good

WTF?

No!!!

Nov 6, 2002

He has no idea when to be aggressive.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

the texans deserved to lose simply by BoB calling for a FG when it was 4th and 1 deep in KC territory

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sour Diesel posted:

the texans deserved to lose simply by BoB calling for a FG when it was 4th and 1 deep in KC territory

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

If the fake punt had worked he'd be a genius!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

you broke my grill posted:

If the fake punt had worked he'd be a genius!

Yes. Things would be different if they had happened differently.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

tbh the ravens would have won if they didnt lose

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Yeah he keeps the Texans down he's good

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Metapod posted:

Yeah he keeps the Texans down he's good

:thunk:

Okay!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
OP, does the piece of poo poo come from his chinbutt?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

General Dog posted:

I’m honestly fine never winning the playoff

Suddenly your irrational defenses of BOB make sense

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I fear the lame excuse they’re gonna use not to fire him is “well we got crushed when they stopped dropping the ball so even at 28-0 we’d have lost we just have to get better on D”

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Our team would have lost no matter what sure is a defense of a coach.

Not saying that's your argument btw.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BoB said after the game they didn't have a play they liked for the 4th and 1. Like how are you that incompetent

Also the Texans won that game last week in spite of BoB (and some help from the Bills). He was perfectly content to punt the ball all game long

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Bill O'Brien has maybe the largest and most lovely dipe in the NFL

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
BoB makes me so happy

Now that Jason Garrett's gone I can safely insult the head coach of the team down the road. The coach that beat Dallas last year with his inspired "don't punt in OT" strategy.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

shyduck posted:

BoB said after the game they didn't have a play they liked for the 4th and 1. Like how are you that incompetent

I saw this today and my mind was blown. How is this even possible? Merely admitting to this on national TV should get you fired.

Nov 6, 2002

Who the gently caress is actually in charge in Texans ownership?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

*Stares blankly as the Viet Cong fire more rockets*

Ain't you?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Technically on paper it's Bob McNair's widow Janice who doesn't care so she gives control to her socialite son Cal, who was already in charge of the family charity and political fundraising. This follows in line with the real goal of the Texans, which is to transform NFL money into the family gift-giving and provide a large venue for which to host social events.

Cal McNair is a great guy to call on when you're a Republican looking for re-election. Football? That's just another business unit to delegate to some manager and unless the balance sheet comes back funny you're done. In this case Bill O'Brien is the manager. I bet Cal McNair isn't even aware what the score was yesterday.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 13, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't actually mind BOB as an offensive playcaller or even head coach, but I'm really concerned about him being the GM going forward. Basically took his best shot this year, spending high picks from this year and next, and it ended with his team losing by 20 after being up by 24.

Yeah they got to the divisional round which a lot of teams don't do, but they also mortgaged a lot of the future and honestly, the team doesn't look that great. Deshaun Watson looks great, and they have a couple great players, but overall the team just isn't that good.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

So one thing that I think should be reiterated, it's that prior to getting thoroughly outplayed by the Chiefs for three quarters, Houston was thoroughly outplayed by Buffalo for three quarters. Buffalo just didn't have the offensive firepower tuko put the game out of reach.

Nov 6, 2002

For a coach who came up under Belichick he is very bad at situational football. Which is literally one of the most important aspects of the game a good head coach needs to understand.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Raku posted:

*Stares blankly as the Viet Cong fire more rockets*

Ain't you?

There's no GM here...

GET THE ROACH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1216714367074492418?s=19