Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

What if the Houston Texans ARE the Dallas Cowboys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't think the field goal is the single source of failure. I think, rather, it is indicative of a deeper problem in BoB's game. The field goal is the comfortable, easy, and risk averse choice. Analytically it makes sense. Generally speaking, you want points.

Likewise, shifting to a grind the clock style play selection is useful when you have a large lead.

The problem is BoB is bound to follow idiomatic knowledge rather than assess the current situation. This is the type of circumstance where historical statistics provide incomplete and bad data. BoB went up by three touchdowns. Good football sense says try to grind the game out from here. His playcalling mirrored that philosophy. Kicking the fieldgoal in light of that backdrop makes sense. Likewise, 4th and 3 with a surprise fake fg is a pretty high percentage play, and when you're still up by 3 scores, is typically worth the payoff.

However, this type of dogmatic knowledge is expressly mean based, and must be adjusted when you're dealing with outliers like the chiefs with Reid and Mahomes. This means that a game of field control does not work. Points must be scored on every drive. Running time off the clock is not the optimal solution. BoB's playcalling, though, was what you would call against an average team, and it would be effective most of the time. His offensive playcalling shifted entirely to fourth quarter grind the clock mode in the second quarter of football. That's a bad decision based upon a bad understanding of statistics.

BoB's death was trying to establish the run.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1216808944515145735

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1216815807033819141

Cal McNair is probably off trying to get Harry and Meghan's attention

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think this is one of those situations where the actual decision doesn't really matter. The difference between being up 24-0 or 28-0 is insignificant. But how they arrived at the decision is what's important. They kicked the field goal because they didn't know what the gently caress they actually wanted to do.

Then they just compounded it with the fake punt because they felt obliged to try something after the field goal. The lack of a plan and lack of decisive thinking is the problem.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Do you guys believe that this Texans team, as currently constituted, had it been coached yesterday by, say, Bill Belichick, would have beaten the Chiefs more often than not?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

DeimosRising posted:

Do you guys believe that this Texans team, as currently constituted, had it been coached yesterday by, say, Bill Belichick, would have beaten the Chiefs more often than not?

Up by 21 points, 4th and Short from the 24-yard line with 10:58 remaining in the 2nd quarter:

Yes.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Athanatos posted:

Up by 21 points, 4th and Short from the 24-yard line with 10:58 remaining in the 2nd quarter:

Yes.

In my opinion going up 21-0 was a complete fluke and wouldn’t happen again if you replayed the game 1000 times

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Not really a fair question because Bill Belichick isn’t a potential replacement, the replacement will be Generic NFL Coach like Jay Gruden or Jeff Fisher or maybe Marvin Lewis if McNair feels really adventurous.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Worst blown lead by Belichick Patriots was in 2011, against the Bills of all teams - I'm pretty sure that was the first time the Bills had beat NE since that infamous 2003 opening week game. They blew a 21-0 lead by virtue of Brady throwing 4 picks and lost 34-31. You'll never guess who was the Bill's QB.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Simplex posted:

I think this is one of those situations where the actual decision doesn't really matter. The difference between being up 24-0 or 28-0 is insignificant. But how they arrived at the decision is what's important. They kicked the field goal because they didn't know what the gently caress they actually wanted to do.

Then they just compounded it with the fake punt because they felt obliged to try something after the field goal. The lack of a plan and lack of decisive thinking is the problem.

I like the fake punt call from the stand point of the Chiefs offense was finding its rhythm and getting the 1st down there gave your defense time to breathe and adjust.

After the FG is pretty crazy though

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

General Dog posted:

Not really a fair question because Bill Belichick isn’t a potential replacement, the replacement will be Generic NFL Coach like Jay Gruden or Jeff Fisher or maybe Marvin Lewis if McNair feels really adventurous.

Tbh that’s what I mean. I think they get hosed up by the chiefs even with the consensus best coach/cheater of all time and the odds you get 1/3 of that are low. If you’re lucky you’ll get a guy who’s an average to slightly above average NFL coach, a Bill O’Brien if you will

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
This one game is not the issue with BoB as a whole, it's just indicative of BoB as a whole.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

DeimosRising posted:

In my opinion going up 21-0 was a complete fluke and wouldn’t happen again if you replayed the game 1000 times

But it happened. And O'Brien was unable to capitalize on it. And a better coach could have taken that 21 point lead, built on it, and won.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Bill Belichick had decent leads on the Chiefs twice last season and nearly blew it both times with a more talented roster. Not sure how I'd answer that question.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Athanatos posted:

This one game is not the issue with BoB as a whole, it's just indicative of BoB as a whole.

100% agreed. Look at the thread when the Texans went up 24-0. Look how many people said "cant wait to see how they blow this". He didn't just gently caress this up, he fucks everything up so consistently that it is expected.

28-3 was a crazy fluke that was 1 in a million. The Falcons coaching staff had no reputation as chokers who squander things prior to that (the franchise as a whole is another story).

24-0 was an inevitable fuckup that anyone familiar with BoB saw coming.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
“Please god will Houston just fire their coach already?”

*monkeys paw curls*

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Worst blown lead by Belichick Patriots was in 2011, against the Bills of all teams - I'm pretty sure that was the first time the Bills had beat NE since that infamous 2003 opening week game. They blew a 21-0 lead by virtue of Brady throwing 4 picks and lost 34-31. You'll never guess who was the Bill's QB.

Wasn't that Fitzmagic

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It was indeed!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
It's hardly BoBs fault that there was a fumble recovery on a punt and kick return at a crucial time for the Chiefs.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Fenrir posted:

Wasn't that Fitzmagic

I’m goin to miss him when he’s gone.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

OxySnake posted:

I like the fake punt call from the stand point of the Chiefs offense was finding its rhythm and getting the 1st down there gave your defense time to breathe and adjust.

After the FG is pretty crazy though

The fake punt happened when the score was 24-7 when the offense had barely done anything. The Chiefs offense had to drive 80 yards total to cut the score from 24-0 to 24-21, and 30 of those yards were from a penalty.

When the Texans ran that fake punt the only they weren't walking into halftime with a lead is if they gave the Chiefs cheap points. Which they did twice.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

:chloe:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
its a day after the second worst playoff collapse in Houston football history and the only people who have gotten fired worked for the Astros

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Isn't goatse posting a bannable offense?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the chiefs could solve all of their issues by creating the new position of Clock Coordinator for reid's coaching staff and placing said staffer in charge of all timeout and pacing decisions, allowing reid to spend all game looking at film with mahomes as he wishes to do

i feel no such easy solution exists for the texans' problems

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Brady loudly told BOB to gently caress off on the sidelines during a game. And he would say "yes sir" to the Gatorade cooler if Belichick told him to.

Point is BOB was never respected by anybody because he was always a dumb bitch even by the low standards of Pats coordinators.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:sickos:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

BoB is probably the happiest person in the Houston area right now due to the Astros news

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wait posting bill o briens buttchin as goatse is bannable? that is not justice god dammit. if that's wrong i dont want to be right.

e: nevermind, it just wasn't loading

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

An rear end in a top hat's chin doesn't count as an rear end in a top hat.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

on bill o briens last day on the job, at his last press conference, the buttchin will finally unfurl, filling the room with a mysterious, gooey substance that causes nightmares. when the cleanup is finally complete, bill o brien is nowhere to be seen. he's disappeared

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

DeimosRising posted:

I dunno if they would have won, but they certainly wouldn't let themselves get outscored 51-7 after being up 24-zip.

Plus, I mean, the Texans just looked like they stopped caring in the second half. I've never seen a Belicheck-coached team look that defeated, much less that early.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

Isn't goatse posting a bannable offense?

Look at these nerds

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

:hmbol:

Hello old BoB

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

Look at these nerds

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Intruder posted:

Look at these nerds

Maybe I don't know what that smiley actually means because I was just riffing on the fact that his chin does in fact look like an anus and thus is unsuitable for children

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Look at these nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

its been a privilege to be owned by you, sir