Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

AnoHito posted:

They had a fight, at which point she left and all attempts to contact her have been met with "kindly gently caress off." Basically the only sticking point is that she still hasn't bothered to go back to get her stuff yet, but it seems pretty clear she broke up with him and he isn't able to accept that in anything approaching a healthy way.

She also cold turkey had to quit her methadone and then ghosted. I think its a good idea to check on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
The frequent posts where people come in asking for a link to the explanation of the current thread title led me to suggest a "jump to thread title explanation button" feature in the technical suggestions forum. The idea is when a mod changes a thread title they could optionally enter a postId for the post that explains the thread title. Then a link to that post would appear in the index. If you think this would be a good addition to the forums put a post in there to let astral know.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960879

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serephina posted:

Here's a lovely train wreck that needs to surround themselves with negativity:
My (30F) long time employer and friend has fired me and cut me out of her life for not dumping my boyfriend

I'm totally on board with "A" being a nice person, but then imagine going up to the person who just shat all over you, your relationships, and your judgements and grovelling for them to come back into your life. I can't think of any interpretation that results in OP not being a broke-brained glutton for punishment.

This is exactly what being abused does to someone. Why do you think it takes an average of six to eight attempts for abuse victims to fully escape from their abuser?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tbf hanging out with J sounds like a real sadomasochistic experience so I get why the OP wants to keep pursuing it

Vim Fuego posted:

The frequent posts where people come in asking for a link to the explanation of the current thread title led me to suggest a "jump to thread title explanation button" feature in the technical suggestions forum. The idea is when a mod changes a thread title they could optionally enter a postId for the post that explains the thread title. Then a link to that post would appear in the index. If you think this would be a good addition to the forums put a post in there to let astral know.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960879

can't IK's still edit posts cause just adding that to the OP seems way more straightforward

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Serephina posted:

My (30F) long time employer and friend has fired me and cut me out of her life for not dumping my boyfriend
Objectivism and BDSM, a wise and well thought-out combination.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How to talk to my bf about his xenophobia?

quote:

My bf (24/m)is German. He was born and raised in Germany by German parents went to a good German school in a German village.

I (f/20) have russian parents got also born and raised in Germany but have been constantly with "my own" people and been able to bond faster with my minority friends than with Germans in general purely because in the cities I lived I faced quite some discrimination and xenophobia from Germans.

I have told my bf multiple times about how I'm pissed off at some Germans that only make me a stereotype and don't take me or my culture seriously. I have told him multiple times that I'm hurt when people think that the only thing my culture has to offer is vodka putin etc.

I have told him multiple times how I have felt not seen and connected to either Germany or Russia because I'm a second generation child but he constantly dismisses me, keeps making stupid Stereotypical jokes about my nationality, keeps bringing up my background in things that have absolutely 0% to do with my background.

And when I do get mad he just says "calm down" and that "its not that deep" he constantly paints me out to be the bad guy when I show him consequences to the stupid shot he says. And then he gets mad at me because "I don't have a sense of humor" despite me telling him EXACTLY what my problem is.

Do you guys know how I could try and talk with him about his prejudice and his beliefs?

We're now together for 7 months but it keeps feeling draining because I constantly have to explain to him why the things that he does aren't funny but just plainly racist, sexist, homophobic and xenophobic. I'm just getting exhausted dealing with his attitude.

TL:DR

My bf is xenophobic towards my culture and I keep telling him to be more respectful towards my culture but he just doesn't want to listen and keeps telling me that I'm the problem and not him and his hurtful jokes.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Sisal Two-Step posted:

This is the ideal outcome tbh.

It is. Look at those big lovable chonks

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I wonder if she's tried not sexually pleasuring bigots

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The wording and vagueness of the post made it obvious the writer was going for a "gotcha". If it's not entirely fabricated, then the OP is obviously trying to make a point about what a prick her partner is being since she knows videogames are not the same as the kinds of hobbies she was tricking the reader into assuming

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

^^^ Good point, I was thinking she's just embarrassed to admit it's about a video game but maybe it is some kinda gotcha against commenters or her husband.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Let's guess the hobby!

I'm going against my husband's wishes

Such a weirdly worded post...

Meh, if she can't be arsed re-learning the game mechanics after a short hiatus (been there a million times) and her hubby just wants to talk about the plot she can just watch some Let's Play of it on Youtube. Just fast forward through all the "climb a tower to reveal the map" and "play a quick time counter game to win combat" bits and it probably won't even take that long.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 2, 2021

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

tbf hanging out with J sounds like a real sadomasochistic experience so I get why the OP wants to keep pursuing it

can't IK's still edit posts cause just adding that to the OP seems way more straightforward

Yeah they can, but no one reads it. And editing a post would be a separate step. And most people aren't going back to read the OP to see if there's an explanation. It's kind of academic because Astral is unlikely to implement it anyway, but I thought it was a neat idea.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Dump your nazi boyfriend in the river.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Funky Valentine posted:

Objectivism and BDSM, a wise and well thought-out combination.

Doesn't that awful Sword of Truth series (aka the grim dark fantasy series written by a Randian objectivist) also have BDSM in it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Doesn't that awful Sword of Truth series (aka the grim dark fantasy series written by a Randian objectivist) also have BDSM in it?

Libertarianism as a concept has BDSM in it.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Sisal Two-Step posted:

For those whose curiosity damns them: https://sot.fandom.com/wiki/Mord-Sith

Note the "Becoming Mord-Sith" section and you'll understand why everyone is WTF over this series. Dude has no chill.

EDIT: The article doesn't really mention but I think it's the first book that has the main guy get captured by one of those women and she uses her pain stick thing to torture him during sex and he's so awesome he never breaks and then she falls for him? I dunno it was a long time ago and I never re-read it.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 2, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xachariah posted:

Note the "Becoming Mord-Sith" section and you'll understand why everyone is WTF over this series. Dude has no chill.

uhhh

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Xachariah posted:

EDIT: The article doesn't really mention but I think it's the first book that has the main guy get captured by one of those women and she uses her pain stick thing to torture him during sex and he's so awesome he never breaks and then she falls for him? I dunno it was a long time ago and I never re-read it.

Yeah, this is bringing back memories of the Let's Read thread. Our Hero also like roundhouse kicks a 9 year old girl because she's awful or something idk it's a blur.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Xachariah posted:

I remember the Confessors being almost as bad, just less torture torture leather torture.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You couldn't even replace one of my pet rats without me noticing, let alone my cat

I honestly think it would be harder to replace any of my rats than it would be to replace the cat, without me noticing. But the rats are all nearly identical visually so I've had to pay a lot of attention to details to tell them apart, and the cat does not have any particularly distinguishing cat behaviours I've ever noticed, basically your platonic ideal of cat behaviour (which might in itself be pretty unique, now that I think about it).

wilderthanmild posted:

I get really bad vibes from this guy's post like he's really controlling and likes her because she's "damaged" and he wants to be savior type. I'm guessing the "I said some things I will always regret" was this coming to the surface in a very obvious way. Combine that with his very stalkerish way of tracking her down and I think it's clear this guy has problems. Her wanting 0 contact from him for weeks is obviously her breaking up with him.

Other than him leaving out the things he actually said (which is very much a red flag all on its own, but when he explained it later seems... bad but understandable), everything else here seemed pretty reasonable to me considering she left him with her animals, stuff, bills, etc. whose only contact was occasionally sending a text that they loved me. If that happened to my partner, I wouldn't jump to "oh, they're leaving me", I would assume they are having some sort of mental health crisis, and with her background probably also a major relapse, and without any information (if he's being honest and she is not providing him with any information) to determine whether that's the case and what type it might be, who the gently caress knows.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 2, 2021

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Xachariah posted:

He locks away a portion of his mind and sacrifices the rest to submission/insanity. It's even a bit of a plot point in the next book when his girlfriend forces him to put on another different collar to save his life. He's 'insane' because he's really really upset about that.

The Mord Sith loves him because she knows he's so super badass he can overcome the conditioning and finally kill her.

Yes I unironically read that series until book 3 or so and then hate read the rest.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
For the lady with the videogame hobby, how in the gently caress do you lose months of progress in Assassin's Creed and need to redo the game from scratch due to a bad build. Do the new games have some insane permanent choices that lock out out of skills or content?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also, some people would DEFINITELY know if their cat got replaced because their cats have... quirks.

quote:

Help, My Rescue Cat Loves Shrek

TL;DR - My rescue cat was tortured nearly to death before she was rescued. She hides and is very mean all the time. The only thing that comforts her is Shrek. I am now trapped in a Groundhog Day-esque nightmare of always watching Shrek.

Last year I got a rescue cat. I love animals, and have always had a way with them that makes them very attached to me. I got Marnie after learning she had been tortured by her previous owner. They nearly tortured her to death. This made me very sad and I decided to take on the challenge.

For the first couple weeks, it was very hard. She would run around the house VERY fast from one hiding spot to another. She tried to climb out of a window, would scratch and hiss all the time, and hated any form of offering food. I even tried waiting until she was asleep, and filling her food dish, and she refused to touch it.

Then, one day, I decided to watch Shrek while doing some cleaning. She came out of her hiding spot, and laid down on the floor in the middle of the living room. She started to groom, and walked to the dining room to drink water. NOTE that this happened AFTER All Star by Smashmouth had played!

I have tried putting on other movies, playing music in the house, and NOTHING else works!! It is only Skrek that she will come out and eat and play for!! So How do I stop living in this hell world I have created for myself by continuously playing Skrek? I now play Skrek three times a day at MINIMUM! I am scared that if I stop, she will stop eating again. If she dies, I'm going to be distraught forever. What the gently caress can I do??

PLEASE HELP

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

AITA For kicking my wife's friend out of our wedding after she refused to remove a piercing?

quote:

Backstory is that my wife (25F) has a friend (25F) that I (29M) don't get along with too well. I met her friend while I was dating my wife and we didn't click too well but we were still friendly and respectable to one another.

Unfortunately a year ago while we were having a get together, we got into a huge argument and things haven't been the same between me and the friend since. I won't go into the details of the argument since in and of itself it's not too relevant, but it was really bad and put us on horrible terms.

Nonetheless, my wife still wanted to invite her to our wedding since they were good friends and I agreed. It was a medium-ish wedding, about 100 people, and per usual it was formal.

That leads me to the next part, when her friend arrived at the wedding, I noticed she had a nose piercing on the side of her nose and I was instantly annoyed. I am a bit biased because I do think piercings are trashy in general, but I think anyone is free to wear them, but not at weddings.

Some time later, after the ceremony, I went up to the friend and asked for a word privately. I told her to remove her piercing immediately or she has to leave. Of course she started acting like a bitch and cursed at me. I remained calm nonetheless and told her she is no longer welcome and must leave.

She tried to go and speak to my wife but I blocked her and told her where the exit was. She was crying and after more yelling and getting some looks from people passing by, she left (We were in a different room from where the main event was taking place so luckily the wedding wasn't disturbed).

Obviously there was fallout in the coming days and my wife was annoyed with me that I kicked her friend out. Since the event was formal, I think it was appropriate to remove any piercings. Someone I know has tattoos and he even covered them up.

I might be the rear end in a top hat for kicking the friend out without my wife's approval, but I did give her a chance to remove the piercing and she refused to do that simple task.

quote:

Basically I said that Black Lives Matter should change to a different name because BLM (Bureau of Land Management) had that acronym for decades prior and it was unfair to them, she disagreed and started getting abusive with me and eventually insults and yelling ensued.

....huh.

Sisal Two-Step fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 2, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Other than him leaving out the things he actually said (which is very much a red flag all on its own, but when he explained it later seems... bad but understandable), everything else here seemed pretty reasonable to me considering she left him with her animals, stuff, bills, etc. whose only contact was occasionally sending a text that they loved me. If that happened to my partner, I wouldn't jump to "oh, they're leaving me", I would assume they are having some sort of mental health crisis, and with her background probably also a major relapse, and without any information (if he's being honest and she is not providing him with any information) to determine whether that's the case and what type it might be, who the gently caress knows.

In my other posts I end up talking about this. Without any information I generally assume that we get a sanitized best portrayal of OP, which is why this seemed really sketchy to me. With the additional information we get later in this thread I don't think there is any reason to see him as creepy or stalkerish anymore, assuming that information is accurate.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA For kicking my wife's friend out of our wedding after she refused to remove a piercing?

For all the talk about ambiguity and OPs giving us an overly rosy view of their own actions, it's really nice when they just straight up let you know they are an rear end in a top hat.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 2, 2021

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Sisal Two-Step posted:

....huh.

This trashy piercing distracted everyone and ruined my wedding

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Weird chudlike men are obsessed with nose piercings being bad.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Zore posted:

For the lady with the videogame hobby, how in the gently caress do you lose months of progress in Assassin's Creed and need to redo the game from scratch due to a bad build. Do the new games have some insane permanent choices that lock out out of skills or content?

Before Christmas there was a patch of Valhalla that made saves from previous builds appear corrupted. They fixed it fairly quickly, but not before I at least restarted the game.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Yes, among other things it seems.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xachariah posted:

Ohhhhh. Evil Chicken guy.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ohhhhh. Evil Chicken guy.

Sorry what?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Guy saw the greatest Skweezy Jibbs post ever and took it way too seriously

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
A Chime (evil creatures Richard screwed up and released but nobody in the main cast really knows what they are yet) impersonates a chicken which the main character sees through and tries to explain it to Kalhan and other people that only sorta believe him.

Kalhan is later alone with some chickens and realizes that one of them is the evil chicken.

quote:

The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens.
Keep in mind this was presented as a scary serious moment in the book.

Edit: Clearly the author agrees with Werner Herzog on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMo4WlBmGM

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 2, 2021

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, some people would DEFINITELY know if their cat got replaced because their cats have... quirks.

What a pity the thread title already got changed, because, drat. r/relationships: The only thing that comforts her is Shrek

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I wonder if she could wean her cat onto smash mouth or if it's the green ogre her cat feels comforted by.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sisal Two-Step posted:

there is shall we say a considerable amount of overlap between the people who are into slavery sexually and the people who are into slavery politically

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Smirking_Serpent posted:

She should go all in on the Russia thing. Just watch WW2 documentaries all day, cosplay as a T-34 tank, etc.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

^^son of a gun^^

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Sounds like she needs to pick up a history book. The Russians figured out exactly how to deal with German xenophobia about 75 years ago.

(obviously just leave the bigot, but a solution involving Katyushas is just so much more satisfying)

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I have so many questions about the Shrek cat. Is it just Shrek 1? Are Shreks 2, 3, and 4 acceptable? What about the holiday spinoffs? The Puss In Boots Netflix Original Series? Is it Mike Myers' voice that does it, or the colors and animation? Would other DreamWorks films work?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

I have so many questions about the Shrek cat. Is it just Shrek 1? Are Shreks 2, 3, and 4 acceptable? What about the holiday spinoffs? The Puss In Boots Netflix Original Series? Is it Mike Myers' voice that does it, or the colors and animation? Would other DreamWorks films work?
Given the cat's history I wonder if shrek was played when her previous owners were too distracted to hurt her or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Does just playing All Star calm the cat?