Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For Stilling Being Angry At My Half Sister For What She Did 10 Years Ago?

The dad is a mega piece of poo poo and it's clear who he favours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sodium Chloride posted:

The dad is a mega piece of poo poo and it's clear who he favours.

I mean, he newt gingrich'd so yeah, hes an unfathomable piece of poo poo

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Because he's the son.

Bet a million dollars it'd be different if it was the daughter who'd crashed 6 times.

From the OP:

quote:

My son has not hurt anyone, he has rear ended a few people, side swiped some parked cars and the final time that totaled the car was he over corrected and hit a tree that was in the middle of the median

Also apparently OP is giving both kids cash, and the same amount of cash? Just that they are giving the daughter cash that will be put towards a car down payment, and then buying the son a gaming PC for the same amount as the car down payment for the daughter.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

"How dare you still be angry I stole and lost something important to you!"

quote:

This post violates Rule 11: No Partings/Relationship/Sex/Reproductive Autonomy Posts

We do not allow posts where the central conflict is about platonic partings, relationships, and/or reproductive autonomy and instead recommend a relationship focused sub. Please see the related FAQ

gently caress's this rule?

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's a kid in my town who wrecked his car several times, then wrecked his car into the beloved college football announcer for a big SEC school, killing him and his wife, and somehow still has a car, has been in several wrecks since then including a couple DUIs and going the wrong way on the highway.

He is not in jail! He is banned legally from driving cars now, BUT HE STILL DOES AND HAS BEEN CAUGHT A COUPLE TIMES
lol what a legend

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Well I sure stand corrected. Guess I shouldn't worry that people are underestimating reddit OPs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

So your son has failed knowledge of the car's stopping distance, width, and handling. Why are you allowing him behind a wheel again?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Unfortunately in large parts of the world, especially the US, simply not driving is not an option to have any sort of functional independent life.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

gently caress's this rule?

/r/relationships: No Relationship Posts

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I got in poo poo once for 'ruining the mood at dinner' for telling my GF's sister's husband that I hope he wraps himself around a pole after he bragged for almost 10 minutes about his proud adventures in drunk driving. I regret nothing.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tarkus posted:

I got in poo poo once for 'ruining the mood at dinner' for telling my GF's sister's husband that I hope he wraps himself around a pole after he bragged for almost 10 minutes about his proud adventures in drunk driving. I regret nothing.

Hell yeah :hmmyes:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Unfortunately in large parts of the world, especially the US, simply not driving is not an option to have any sort of functional independent life.

That's an issue with public transportation infrastructure and not a reason to allow unsuitable individuals behind the wheel. Your logic also applies to homicidal maniacs and drunk drivers.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
drunk drivers are also allowed to continue driving after multiple convictions, tons of states allow stuff like "hardship exceptions" where you can still drive to work and the grocery store and stuff, it's p hosed up

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Cowslips Warren posted:

"How dare you still be angry I stole and lost something important to you!"

I mean his dad sounds like a piece of poo poo but it looks like she stole it when she was 13 so I dunno about holding a grudge against a teenager for that long

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

our company is making us do unreasonable things to accommodate a coworker’s mental health.

quote:

My coworker, “Casey,” has worked at the same company as me for just over two years. Casey has mental health issues with obsessive-compulsive disorder (self-acknowledged and openly talked about) that have gotten progressively worse as time goes on. Casey is on medication and currently in therapy, but it isn’t enough any more. It has gotten to the point where it’s out of control and affecting the lives of others.

Some examples: Casey likes everything to be the same, and so to accommodate this management has amended the dress code to say that if clothes have patterns they must be uniform and even that if anyone wears a ring, watch, or bracelet on one hand they must wear one on the other so it’s the same. Another example is that some people who work here take public transit and there is a bus stop outside of our office. To accommodate Casey we were directed by management to line up for the bus as male/female/male/female, etc.. so the line is orderly.

These are just a couple of examples, but I could go on all day. I don’t want to come across as a horrible person but I am getting fed up with having to change every little thing because of Casey’s accommodations. Casey is a nice enough person and I know it’s a mental illness, but at the same time I don’t see why everyone else has to suffer all the time. I would never purposely do anything to make Casey uncomfortable and neither would my coworkers, but we feel like this has gone too far. People have quit or transferred to other locations to get away from this. Someone was given a written warning for only wearing a ring on one hand and was asked to remove their wedding ring because they didn’t have a second ring, and we were told we will be written up if we don’t comply.

When we bring our concerns to management or HR they just tell us about the ADA and being tolerant. Short of finding a new job, can you recommend any other ways to get management to see why this is a problem?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

tractor fanatic posted:

I mean his dad sounds like a piece of poo poo but it looks like she stole it when she was 13 so I dunno about holding a grudge against a teenager for that long

Yeah, you don’t have to forget but you certainly should; as an adult, learn how to forgive a 13 year old for being a little arsehole. Family or not.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

our company is making us do unreasonable things to accommodate a coworker’s mental health.

I mean, this is a bit much, but I'm pretty ignorant about OCD and I'm curious. What occurs if the afflicted person sees these things and gets no resolution? Panic attack?

Either way, even though the situation is obviously not tenable, I'm kind of glad to see a story of a workplace going too far trying to accommodate someone's mental illness rather than the much more common "tough titties, get back to work" approach.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spouse posted:

I mean, this is a bit much, but I'm pretty ignorant about OCD and I'm curious. What occurs if the afflicted person sees these things and gets no resolution? Panic attack?

Either way, even though the situation is obviously not tenable, I'm kind of glad to see a story of a workplace going too far trying to accommodate someone's mental illness rather than the much more common "tough titties, get back to work" approach.

This is basically entirely the wrong way to handle OCD though, and she's actively getting worse. So uhhhh they picked the exact worst way possible to overly accommodate her.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

ibntumart posted:

A landlord requesting a potential tenant perform sexual acts (including asking for nudity) is illegal under federal law in the US. Quid pro quo and hostile environment sexual harassment are both prohibited.

I had to find a new place this spring for the first time in like ten years and the weirdos obviously looking for a live-in sex servant were pretty disturbing. Between them and the obvious attempts to get your e-mail and phone number to sell it was pretty bad. I found a good place through Roomies, but even on there some guy contacted me looking for a "union/partnership with good woman." Jesus Christ! Wish I'd known about this law- I could have sent it to him before he got kicked off.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

AITA For Letting The Cat Wreck My Roommate's New Sofa?

A cat owner who doesn't slipcover their couch is a fool.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I (26 M) am divorcing my wife (24 F) but she won't accept it because she doesn't approve of my reasons.

quote:

I feel like an idiot because i never should have gotten married. I went into this naïve and didn't understand what marriage was. I wish we did some type of counseling or I read up on it. For context my mom and stepdad have a non-traditional relationship. They both hate rules and highly highly value autonomy. I grew up thinking that was what marriage was. You just married the person who made you happiest, but then you could still do whatever you wanted. For example, I accidently found out they have an open relationship, one of his best friends is an ex, and my grandfather hates my stepdad for the pettiest more irrational reasons but my mom still has a relationship with him. I loved my wife, so I figured i should marry her.

I've been married two years and I've felt kind of weird about it the whole time. She wanted me to spend less time with friends and hobbies. We compromised, but something just felt off. Then we started having issues with my mom, nothing major but she makes bitchy little digs. So I did some reading online about how to handle a difficult mother in law and it totally changed my perspective. I hate the idea that if my mom doesn't come around I might have to go no contact. I hate the idea that I always have to side with me wife. I hate the idea that my family is supposed to lose importance just because I am married. I hate that my wife is supposed to be number one, way above the woman who raised me, my best friends, everyone. I love my wife but I am disgusted by the institution of marriage.

I realized that I made a big mistake and I told my wife that I wanted a divorce. I do love her but I don't want to be the husband she needs and she deserves to find that. She blamed my mom and I tried to explain it really has nothing to do with my mom, but those articles made me realize I don't believe in marriage. I am sorry that I hurt her and I now know my limits and won't ever get this serious with a relationship again. She said I can't divorce her because my reasons aren't good enough. I left the house and filed. I'm staying with my mom right now but she keeps leaving me voicemails crying and saying I don't have a choice, I have to come home. She showed up while i was at work and banged on the door. My mom called her controlling, which pissed me off, and she left. I don't know how to get it through to her that she can't stop me. She isn't a big idea type person and she can't seem to get my reasoning. I just don't believe in marriage.

TL;DR: I want a divorce because I realized I don't believe in marriage. My wife will not accept that and keeps calling and showing up. How do I make her realize this is final?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Willow posted:

I (26 M) am divorcing my wife (24 F) but she won't accept it because she doesn't approve of my reasons.

Those "digs":

quote:

Stuff like "don't you want to change before we go out? Oh, that's really what you are wearing?" or asking to cook my stepdads steak herself because he is picky and my wife wouldn't do it to his standard. Sometimes she would make comments about how we seem joined at the hip and it would be nice to see her son again. My family tends to go hard at each other with humor and my wife would express disapproval even when it wasn't directed at her, so my mom once said she shouldn't be judging someone else's marriage when her own wasn't that great. My mom asked if she didn't trust me and that was why she had to follow me everywhere, but at that point my mom and stepdad were both frustrated about me not being able to see them without her. My wife told my mom that my stepdad doesn't love her because my wife doesn't believe in open marriages and my mom asked if she really wanted to talk about love because i seem depressed. My wife also got offended because my mom wouldn't eat her food but my mom has food sensitivities and my wife said they were "probably fake" and since they weren't allergies she didn't respect them

He apparently told his mom to "shut the gently caress up" and she smirked and said "fine."

I hate his mom. I hate his wife. I hate his family. I hate this guy.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 9, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Those "digs":

He apparently told his mom to "shut the gently caress up" and she smirked and said "fine."

I hate his mom. I hate his wife. I hate his family. I hate this guy.

case no 2 in "guy who marries woman like his mother, they loving hate each other" in recent days.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

case no 2 in "guy who marries woman like his mother, they loving hate each other" in recent days.

I keep falling into this rabbit hole and it's way worse.

Did he have a conversation about marriage before having it?

quote:

No, I didn't realize people had conversations.

A lot of replies are people talking about how things need work and he's like "well my mom is lazy as poo poo and she's fine, so I'll be fine, also her house is basically a sex dungeon." His only point of reference is his mom, as if no other humans exist. This guy is too stupid to breathe.

Thread title nomination: "I didn't realize people had conversations"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

His mom socialized him wrong, as a joke as a low key abuse tactic

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This poor man, dumber than a nematode and yet lacking the ability to split in two and make everyone happy

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Midnight Voyager posted:

Thread title nomination: "I didn't realize people had conversations"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Surely this OP was just rushing into a marriage because he thought it would make him happy, right?

quote:

the one thing I have learned through my family and friends though is how easy it is to get casual sex if you look for it, and you don’t have to be great looking

quote:

Honestly I thought it was what my mom had minus the outside sex

quote:

My mom and my dad didn’t really like each other. They also had an open relationship but he was just the guy who paid the bills and had no interest in her outside of his trophy, or me at all.

quote:

You're right. I considered my step grandmother neutral because she low key hates all of us, especially my mom,

quote:

I'm really just looking forward to being alone and having Tinder hookups

quote:

Who is abusing my mom? The dad who thinks she is a princess or her husband who gives her whatever she wants?

quote:

Yes you can. It is called Tinder, friends with benefits, fuckbuddies. I am promising myself right now that I will never have another girlfriend in the traditional sense

quote:

My grandfather sometimes follows my mom in the house to try to assert dominance

quote:

Also it doesn't matter because my mom's behavior sucked but it only started when my mom found out that I wasn't allowed to see her without my wife

quote:

she never said anything before we got married. She told me after she didn't think she had the right to try to change us when she was just the girlfriend.

quote:

My mom always taught me to put myself first and never sacrafice things that were important to me and that made sense, so I ran with it. My mom doesn't believe in monogamy but literally everyone else just cheats.

quote:

She said if I really loved her I would want to never see my mom again

Everything else aside, this was a loving roadmap to disaster, with "raised by polycule" mom and "get a ring then I own you" wife it's just insane that OP is so unaware that those aren't binary options.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Step Grandma sounds like the kind of lady who starts smoking at 70

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am mostly baffled by his twin conclusions that "my parents have a non-traditional marriage" and "non-traditional marriages do not exist." I know it is sometimes easier to connect the dots as a third party just reading a summary of someone else's life story, but come the gently caress on.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I am mostly baffled by his twin conclusions that "my parents have a non-traditional marriage" and "non-traditional marriages do not exist." I know it is sometimes easier to connect the dots as a third party just reading a summary of someone else's life story, but come the gently caress on.

When he's getting abused from all angles his barometer is off.

If he's being accurate his GF was completely okay with everything until the day they got married and then begin demanding he make a ton of changes. It's not uncommon in these posts to see a "now we're married get rid of your hobbies/friends" from someone who is either controlling or has a very specific idea of marriage and responds to push-back with screaming and ultimatums.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It really sounds like he's grown up in a weird and abusive environment with poor boundaries and given actively unhelpful instruction as his only guidance.

pentyne posted:

When he's getting abused from all angles his barometer is off.

If he's being accurate his GF was completely okay with everything until the day they got married and then begin demanding he make a ton of changes. It's not uncommon in these posts to see a "now we're married get rid of your hobbies/friends" from someone who is either controlling or has a very specific idea of marriage and responds to push-back with screaming and ultimatums.

'I can change him once we're married' seems to be one of those cliches that really, really need to die. Looks like both have no concept of having an honest conversation about their relationship and what it means to them. The general idea that marriage is an automatic mode switch to the brain that turns a man into A Husband and a woman into A Wife.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Where is he saying non-traditional marriages don't exist exist? His wife clearly wants one though, so their mere existence solves nothing.

She's also seemingly abusively controlling though so uh, even if she was okay with a non-traditional marriage he should probably divorce her.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder what hope that guy has to learn how to be properly socialized. Seems like he has affected devoid of healthy relationships to model his own on.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
A semi-oldie but a goodie. This dude should get together with the chick who was forced into birth and then gave up all of her parental rights and the dad was pissed because she took him at his word and wouldn't bond with her child.

AITA for wanting to see my son?

quote:

I (30M) had a girlfriend in college who got pregnant when she was 19 and I was 20. I freaked out and (wrongly) blamed her for everything, and said there was no way I wanted to be a dad. I said I would take no part in anything, wouldn’t sign the birth certificate and wouldn’t pay child support. My dad said I’d have to sign my rights away or she could take me to court for a paternity test and child support anyway. So I told her I was going to do that, and she didn’t fight me.

Fast forward to present day. I had an accident a few years ago that has made it impossible for me to father any children. This was a hard blow to my wife, and our marriage has struggled as I’m not willing to adopt, but she wants children. She knows I fathered a kid when I was younger, so I thought I’d contact my ex about seeing them and maybe my wife would be happy in a stepmom role. My ex said no, and when I protested she basically told me tough luck.

I said they were my kid and she said actually he’s not, I signed my rights away so I had no children as far as the law and she was concerned. My kid has a “real” dad, and a life, and I’ve never been part of it and I never will be. I was so angry I started yelling about taking her to court for custody and she wished me the very best of luck in that endeavor and hung up. I was venting to my brother and he said no judge worth his weight in salt would give me custody or even regular visitation after a decade of no contact just because I suddenly found myself sterile and wanted to appease my wife. I didn’t want a kid, so I don’t have a kid. He also said I’m not treating him like an actual person and did I even once stop to consider the fact he wouldn‘t even know who I was, only that he’d been forced to go stay with someone who didn’t want him. I got upset and stopped talking to him.

I shouldn’t have threatened to go for custody and I admit that, but people are acting like I’ve done the worst thing ever by even contacting my ex so I thought I’d ask, am I really such an rear end in a top hat?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

reignonyourparade posted:

Where is he saying non-traditional marriages don't exist exist? His wife clearly wants one though, so their mere existence solves nothing.

Maybe I'm reading a bit much into his "I'm done with romantic relationships; it's only fuckbuddies for me from now on" comments.

Fair points all around on the complete absence of healthy relationship dynamics in his life all around. I wonder what his friend circle is like? He doesn't come off as super isolated, but also doesn't mention anyone outside of his family.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Who is Casey? Are they the bosses kid, or their lover?

What do they do? Why are they so.important?

What does the company do when they have visitors that aren't aware of the stupid rules? Also, bus stops are generally public, how do they enforce their rules on people they don't employ?

How many people say "gently caress this poo poo, I'm out?" Both long term employees and their replacements.

I smell clickbait. But, assuming this is true, gently caress these people.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

trickybiscuits posted:

I had to find a new place this spring for the first time in like ten years and the weirdos obviously looking for a live-in sex servant were pretty disturbing. Between them and the obvious attempts to get your e-mail and phone number to sell it was pretty bad. I found a good place through Roomies, but even on there some guy contacted me looking for a "union/partnership with good woman." Jesus Christ! Wish I'd known about this law- I could have sent it to him before he got kicked off.

I wonder if the other way around is somehow illegal as well. When I was looking for a roommate in college, I came across an ad where a guy wanted a female roommate who he'd pay all the rent for and do all the chores and he insisted she wouldn't even have to sleep with him. I'm guessing that was some findom thing, at the time it just sounded really creepy to me and I looked elsewhere. That guy and the one who wrote in his ad that he needed a big enough room to make half of it into a terrarium for his anaconda have stuck in my memory.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I went through the disability training for my work, and while that's in the UK the law was that we needed to make "reasonable" allocations for someone's disability.

Where reasonable lies is up for debate and sometimes needs to be tested in courts, but this is so far outside of that it's absurd.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

jesus christ, this is so rough that it almost reads as fake. I kind of hope it's fake, tbh

I teach high school English and I’m voting it fake based on the fact that I don’t know any kid that age writing like this.

Also “ I could just take my hijab off and save myself from so much misery but on one hand, I feel so guilty and on the other hand, I don't want to disappoint my father.” Disappoint the father? Wouldn’t it be mom who would be disappointed?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Call it soursop and confuse her.

She knows it by that name too! She’s impossible to bamboozle!

MinionOfCthulhu fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

pentyne posted:

Surely this OP was just rushing into a marriage because he thought it would make him happy, right?

Everything else aside, this was a loving roadmap to disaster, with "raised by polycule" mom and "get a ring then I own you" wife it's just insane that OP is so unaware that those aren't binary options.

:stare:

That sound you hear is Freud continuously cumming