Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Straight White Shark posted:

I know intellectually that there are people that don't like weird hole in the wall ethnic food with pictures that are a uniform shade of yellow regardless of content but I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it.

I use Ali Wong's criteria for a good ethnic place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPUGaL2UcrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Unless if you are airlifting me some poppy bagels rn enough with this goddamn weird as hell fight

Man I ain’t even mad I’m hungry (please feed me some proper bagels)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is there still a good posts thread? I can't figure out where it is, and I want to nominate this.

Haulin Oates posted:

Cockroach Waffle House! Can you imagine it? Tiny cockroach grill, tiny cockroach coffee cups, little bitty spatulas and forks! Cockroach fry cooks who refuse to make the cockroach customers their eggs the right way and get into fistfights tarsus tussles over it every week. (Of course, the coproaches just don't bother to answer calls about fights at Cockroach Waffle House)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is there still a good posts thread? I can't figure out where it is, and I want to nominate this.

PYF has a funny forum quotes thread, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Aw, thanks! I'm very proud of "coproach"

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Fatty posted:

AITA for not giving my adult son a job in my company because of his attitude?

Talk about burying the lede.

How has the bar gotten so low that people can't get over the hurdle of "don't stab people at your job?"

Edit: Only babies wiggle their toes. What in tarnation...

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 14, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

limp_cheese posted:

How has the bar gotten so low that people can't get over the hurdle of "don't stab people at your job?"

Merely a symptom of being the Boss's Son. I'm impressed we have 2 work stabbings (or narrowly averted stabbings) in as many pages.

AITA for thinking that my daughter should be wearing more feminine shoes?

quote:

My daughter is 18 and for as long as she could have an opinion about anything, she refused to wear shoes that weren't boys or men's sneakers or flip flops. When she was growing up, I accepted it as part of her autism and thought she would outgrow this one day. However, she has not, and if anything, she has gotten much worse. I took her shoe shopping recently and she completely skipped past the women's section, going for the men's flip flops she wanted to look at for the summer.

I went off to find some classy women's styles she could wear this summer instead but she was not interested. She did give in and try on a pair I picked out, which fit her well. She complained that she couldn't wiggle her toes, but I told her that only babies should be able to wiggle toes. She's an adult now so she needs to wear adult shoes. She says her feet are too wide for women's shoes but I don't believe her. She can get the shoes on.

I think I might be the rear end in a top hat because my husband told me to just let my daughter be.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Seconded. This is a very funny post, Haulin Oates. I liked "tarsus tussle" best myself.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

Reddit pretty universal here voting YTA.

Honestly any one of these that gets posted here, if I have strong opinions I go check reddit's verdict and usually they vote the same way I do.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

Reddit pretty universal here voting YTA.

Honestly any one of these that gets posted here, if I have strong opinions I go check reddit's verdict and usually they vote the same way I do.
If nothing else, r/r seems to be good about shaming out assholes. Which is good, because the admins don't seem to do anything except delete threads that contain unacceptable keywords.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for asking for my shrimp?

Sounds like someone's youngman wasn't shrimpy.

As the wise Gary Coleman once decreed, "Three prawns hardly constitutes a galaxy of prawns."

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Invisible Clergy posted:

Merely a symptom of being the Boss's Son. I'm impressed we have 2 work stabbings (or narrowly averted stabbings) in as many pages.

I have flat, wide feet and women's shoes are so loving annoying. Why do they all have to pinch painfully across the base knuckle of my big toe. I don't even wear heels. I was so happy when combat boots + pretty dress was briefly in fashion...

Also lol at the mom assuming her daughter's autism would 'get better' with age. I bet it actually has gotten easier for the daughter to cope and strategize solutions for her sensory issues, and I bet one of those solutions is "don't wear things that are uncomfortable".

AITA for saying I no longer trust my brother or his wife around my kid?

quote:

Okay so you'll need some context here fist; I am a single father to a 5 year old son. His mother isn't involved. She was incredibly manipulative and verbally/emotionally abusive. For a few reasons the courts awarded me full custody of our kid. She was allowed visitation, but basically said "I get full custody or nothing at all" and hasn't made any attempt to contact our son for three and a half years. Tbh, I prefer it this way; she's a very toxic person who has repeatedly demonstrated an unwillingness to change and she runs with some people I don't want my son around. If she comes back and demonstrates a willingness to put effort to be better for our son, she can see him but til then, I'm very on board with her staying away.

I've found being a single parent difficult and at times have needed a lot of help/support. This help has often been provided by my older brother and sister in law. They've done things like taking me to appointments, cared for kiddo while I worked/went back to school, helped with bills/groceries when I was on my arse financially, paid for kiddo to do activities I couldn't afford with his friends to keep him from being left out...they've honestly been an absolute lifeline for me, and I just want to establish off the bat that I am incredibly grateful for all they've done for me.

During lockdown 3, brother and SiL have been watching kiddo while I work (they're both WFH), and have absolutely refused to let me pay them for it. Well, during this time, my son has been asking more and more questions about his mum, which I've done my best to answer in age appropriate ways. He's also been getting upset about her not being around more and more. It really sprang out of nowhere, so I was confused until a few days ago, when he said Auntie Laura kept telling him things about mummy, and they were different to things I had told him. I asked what kinds of things she'd said and I'll spare you the details for the sake of character count (can clarify in comments), but it was incredibly inappropriate stuff.

I'm so angry about this. My kid is upset, I'm in a very awkward position, my SiL went behind my back...I confronted she and my brother about it and they both got very defensive saying I can't expect her to badmouth her friend and I'm being unreasonable. I said that it's not unreasonable to want to protect my kid, and that they've demonstrated that I can't trust them around him. I've even stopped letting them watch him, and my neighbour is doing it instead. They're really upset with me, my brother called me an ungrateful arsehole and my SiL says she can't believe I'm being like this over one little thing after all they've done.

Am I overreacting?

Edit: realises I deleted a kind of important point for character count; My ex and SiL were friends at secondary school and college, which is how my ex and I met. They're not as close as they used to be, but they're still casual friends.

Edit 2: people said I should include this from the comments on the post so here it is;

My ex made a lot of accusations about me that were provably false during the trial, part of the reason she didn't get custody. This includes accusing me of being a serial cheater (I wasn't and could prove I was in other places at times when she said I was with other people), accusing me of causing an injury she got in a car accident I wasn't even present for and saying that I was the one who was emotionally abusive. She told him that the reason his mum and I fell out was because I felt like she was very unkind to me and mummy felt like I had other girlfriends, hurt her and was the unkind one. She didn't say any of the accusations were true, but she didn't say they weren't either and obviously a 5 year old doesn't have the critical thinking skills to figure it out for himself. Not so much that she lied herself, she just repeated my ex's lies.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I have flat, wide feet and women's shoes are so loving annoying. Why do they all have to pinch painfully across the base knuckle of my big toe. I don't even wear heels. I was so happy when combat boots + pretty dress was briefly in fashion...

Also lol at the mom assuming her daughter's autism would 'get better' with age. I bet it actually has gotten easier for the daughter to cope and strategize solutions for her sensory issues, and I bet one of those solutions is "don't wear things that are uncomfortable".

I feel this so hard. I pretty much only wear sneakers + flip-flops + casual loose boots depending on the season because woman's shoes are determined to slice up my toe knuckles and heels.

I've tried so many flats that my mom and sister swear are the most comfortable EVER and then here come the blisters, again.

Haulin Oates
Nov 11, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sisal Two-Step posted:

It's always a crapshoot, but if you want/need dress shoes, you can ask what they have in wide sizes. Special sizes are usually kept in the back, so you'll probably have to ask for them. When I worked at a department store it was pretty random which brands and styles came in special sizes, except for Hush Puppy (lots of shoes in Wide) and Nicole (lots of size 5 and sizes 11-14).

Content!

AITA for telling my daughter she indulges her cat too much and needs to grow up for her own sake?

quote:

My daughter (28F) lives in a very small apartment in town with her boyfriend because she is still a student. So clutter piles up quickly in a small space.

I believe that living in a nice and clean environment is crucial for productivity and mental health. Her place isn't dirty, but the way she appeases her cat are chaotic and lead to a messy home. Last time I was there I told her she needs to start keeping a grownup home because she isn't a child and she isn't living in a dorm anymore. She needs to be more careful about tidying because she is aiming for a professional degree and I think that living well now is preparation for that

Examples of the clutter are:

She constantly has an old ratty blanket laying unfolded on her couch "because the cat likes to nap there" and another in the corner of her bedroom for the same reason

There is a visible cat carrier with pillows and blankets in her main living space "because the cat likes it"

She has a little cat bed on her kitchen table and says the sun comes in there and of course "the cat likes it"

There is a little "cat nest" in a shelf of every closet of the apartment which limits storage space

There are cat toys on the floor. She keeps cat litter in a storage closet and so the door is constantly open and it looks messy and you can see the litter. There are cat food dishes in multiple rooms and pieces of food are always littered around it and need sweeping. She even nailed up a "cat shelf" on the wall which is just an ugly carpeted piece of wood. Overall it looks like the cat's apartment rather than hers. She leaves water dishes in weird places like on side tables and under desks which looks odd and messy.

I know the cat sleeps in her bed with her so leaving all these extra things around "because the cat likes it" looks really messy and is unnecessary. She is the pet owner and she can decide where the cat sleeps. She just refuses to and lives like this all the time.

I have also had pets before and understand she loves the cat and wants it to be happy, but I never had an animal take over my home this way. She treats it like a roommate.

I wasn't angry when I brought it up, just trying to get her to see how she could live in a nicer environment if she dialed back on cat space. I said she should try to have a more adult home and focus on making it look nice and cozy for herself, not just living around an animal, so she could prepare for professional life.

She basically laughed and said thanks for the idea but she won't take it, and said I am being a bit of an AH. She wouldn't even consider it for a minute.

I think she is being immature and while she isn't being mean, I don't think it makes me an AH to try to guide her to a more adult way of living but she sure does. Was I being an rear end?

Naturally Reddit is siding with the cat.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Haulin Oates posted:

AITA for telling my daughter she indulges her cat too much and needs to grow up for her own sake?

On one hand daughter can do whatever she wants, but also her place does sound like a mess

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Haulin Oates posted:

Well, yeah. If she and the boyfriend are happy, what's the issue?

This bit:

quote:

I said she should try to have a more adult home and focus on making it look nice and cozy for herself, not just living around an animal, so she could prepare for professional life.

Is ridiculous. The woman is 28 years old, not a teenager.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd feel sorry for these people who are so convinced that there's one correct way to be an adult if they weren't so determined to make everyone else miserable.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Haulin Oates posted:

Aside from cat bed on the kitchen table which sounds kind of unsanitary, and cat food in all the rooms which puzzles me unless the cat has mobility issues, this just sounds like someone who’s really into their cat.

Regardless, let your larval cat lady daughter live her life as she pleases. God drat.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Also lol at the mom assuming her daughter's autism would 'get better' with age.

People I knew from school have said this about me to my face on more than one occasion, I don't really get offended because I know what they mean but it's still an odd thing to say to someone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

I'd feel sorry for these people who are so convinced that there's one correct way to be an adult if they weren't so determined to make everyone else miserable.

It's always people who sound pretty miserable or insufferable forcing themselves into their idea of society.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for expecting my former friend to dress her age?

28 year old basically shuts down a social gathering while trying to "calmly" tell a friend she's dressed completely inappropriately for a outside bbq by coming dressed wearing a comic t shirt.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Sunswipe posted:

I loving hate this type of person. Like, a blistering rage for people who think being adult means living in a greige box and never having any moment of levity in their lives.

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Aside from cat bed on the kitchen table which sounds kind of unsanitary, and cat food in all the rooms which puzzles me unless the cat has mobility issues, this just sounds like someone who’s really into their cat.

Regardless, let your larval cat lady daughter live her life as she pleases. God drat.

Eh, sometimes cats like eating in different spots, it's not too weird, especially for someone who seems to really love their cat. Honestly this lady's apartment sounds fine. Mine is a loving trash nightmare because our cat's favorite toy is 'crumpled up paper' and well, it's everywhere.

also lmao at this

quote:

She is the pet owner and she can decide where the cat sleeps.

Ok lady. I wonder if mom's ever had pets? This attitude kind of reminds me of relatives I have who just HATE housepets.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

teen witch posted:

Unless if you are airlifting me some poppy bagels rn enough with this goddamn weird as hell fight

Man I ain’t even mad I’m hungry (please feed me some proper bagels)

I got three really goddamn good bagels at my Safeway the other day. Slightly softer/chewier than the tighter/denser ones I had NYC but I was pleasantly very satisfied with them. None of the super-sweet Montreal style stuff going on either, although I do love a wood fired oven.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mx. posted:

Sisters exclude me in every activity, from everyday talking to going on car rides.

This is literally the starting plot of Cinderella.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I was going to be a voice of dissent about the cat thing, because sometimes cat ownership can be straight up gross. But if it were an issue of litterbox smell or hair everywhere, she would've said that and not been a weird about a "carpet covered shelf".

I mounted a little brush on the wall at cat height so my cat could scratch himself, she would probably think I'm ridiculous too.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

big dyke energy posted:

also lmao at this

Ok lady. I wonder if mom's ever had pets? This attitude kind of reminds me of relatives I have who just HATE housepets.

For a second I thought she was coming to an understanding, because my brain took it as, she's the pet owner and she decides that it's ok for the cat to sleep wherever it wants, not the mom/OP. Then I realized that she meant she thought daughter could force the cat to sleep somewhere? Because lol.

I've tried to create nice cozy spots for my cats but in the end it turns into, ok you want to sleep in some other spot? Let me give you a fuzzy blanket in that corner.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

vonnegutt posted:

I was going to be a voice of dissent about the cat thing, because sometimes cat ownership can be straight up gross. But if it were an issue of litterbox smell or hair everywhere, she would've said that and not been a weird about a "carpet covered shelf".

I mounted a little brush on the wall at cat height so my cat could scratch himself, she would probably think I'm ridiculous too.

I dunno, the foodbowls and waterbowls everywhere sound like they're asking to be knocked over and trodden in and whatnot. But then again my cat has his blankie on his favourite spot on the sofa and his throw on the bed so he doesn't grunge up my nice quilt and mats/boxes so he can look out of the upper front and lower back windows so who am I to talk.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haulin Oates posted:

She is the pet owner and she can decide where the cat sleeps.

...Sorry?? That's not how cats work at all!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Haulin Oates posted:

It's always a crapshoot, but if you want/need dress shoes, you can ask what they have in wide sizes. Special sizes are usually kept in the back, so you'll probably have to ask for them. When I worked at a department store it was pretty random which brands and styles came in special sizes, except for Hush Puppy (lots of shoes in Wide) and Nicole (lots of size 5 and sizes 11-14).

Content!

quote:

It's out of worry for how others will view her. Young people seem to disagree with this overall, but from experience I know how coworkers/peers/superiors view of you (from any encounter) can make a big difference in starting a successful career and being well liked in the neighborhood. She might not think much of it at the time but could regret it later so I wanted to share my own views with her for context while she still has time to change it

quote:

It's true she is an adult but I just worry she isn't thinking forward. If people stop by to visit, it could influence their perception of her which can have an effect in the workplace if they are coworkers or supervisors. They might think she is a crazy cat lady and change how they treat her at work or as friends

*gasp "what will the neighbors think?"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
even before the pandemic, who the gently caress "just stops by to visit" anymore

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I've never tried women's shoes but even many men's shoes are too narrow for me (yes I have duck feet basically) and I am lucky enough to actually be a man so I don't feel socially pressured into buying ~dainty~ shoes. I inherited my broad feet from my mum, who (looking it up) in US terms would be 5'3" with shoe size 11. When she was young ('60s, '70s) she had great difficulty actually finding shoes at all.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

hopeandjoy posted:

I feel this so hard. I pretty much only wear sneakers + flip-flops + casual loose boots depending on the season because woman's shoes are determined to slice up my toe knuckles and heels.

I've tried so many flats that my mom and sister swear are the most comfortable EVER and then here come the blisters, again.
God the blisters. The worst blisters I ever get are from dainty ballet flats.

Haulin Oates posted:

Eh, this was more of an issue when I was in my 20s and felt pressured to perform femininity in professional settings. Now I'm in my 30s, comfortable in a job and not going to interviews all the time, and I own a sick pair of brown leather oxfords that I got from Cole Hahns years ago that I wear in the office.

Basically,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HjIljJd-o0

e: AITA for not telling my mom I changed my name?

quote:

When I (24f) was 8 I lost my dad. When I was 10 my mom got married again. That same year she changed my name to my stepdad's, so we could all have the same last name. I did not want it. I begged her not to do it. She told me it would make their lives easier and it would make them happy. When I was 14 I asked my mom if I could change my name back. She was angry. I asked again when I was 16 and she was even more angry. Her anger both times came because her and my stepdad lost a baby together and he was never able to have kids of his own, so she felt like it was disrespectful because he had stepped up to help raise me if I tossed his name away like that.

So when I moved out I petitioned the courts to change my name again and I got it turned back to my dad's. I was 18 and I never told my mom.

Then she and my stepdad stopped by to see mine and my boyfriends first house and she saw my name on my diploma (graduated last summer and there was no official ceremony because of Covid) and it all kicked off. For the last seven months they have been really angry and generally not happy with me. My mom told me I owed it to them to say I had changed my name and by hiding it I had hurt them both so much more.

The argument is still ongoing today because I don't really regret it. But now I am questioning if I should have told her and let her be angry.

AITA?

Sisal Two-Step fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 14, 2021

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I like the idea that if her daughter does time-warp back to 1950s customs and has her supervisor over for dinner or something, she won't tidy up the cat stuff more in anticipation of having guests over to impress. I feel like so much of this 'my kid's place isn't spotless when I come over" is just subconscious hurt feelings that your kid didn't clean up for you when you came over.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

*gasp "what will the neighbors think?"

Good news: She admits that she grew up poor, dragged herself out of poverty, and is probably hyper-performing what she sees as middle class to overcompensate and she's taking advice to get therapy now that she sees how much people disagree with her ideas.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Well, really seems like that whole "It'll make him happy!" thing worked out with all these years of anger and arguing!

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 14, 2021

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

even before the pandemic, who the gently caress "just stops by to visit" anymore

Boomers. Only boomers.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

Sisal Two-Step posted:

They're not mad that she didn't tell them earlier. They'd be mad if she told them the very day it was changed. What they're really mad about is that she didn't tell them before getting it changed, so they never had a chance to browbeat her out of it, because that's what they did every other time she brought it up.

Surprise, your child has autonomy as an individual outside of what you personally believe they should think or feel and is now a legal adult so you don't actually have any say over it! :v:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Sisal Two-Step posted:

e: AITA for not telling my mom I changed my name?[/b]

What would have happened if OP kept the stepdad's name but ended up taking her future spouse's last name? I find it amusing to think of her mom and stepdad arguing for her to reject patriarchy for their own selfish desires.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

God I miss my local burrito place. But they took a VERY long time to shut down indoor dining and I didn't see anyone wearing masks. Pretty much killed my faith in their sanitation standards during, you know, a pandemic.

But my stomach still rumbles remembering them wide-as-your-fist greasy burritos... :negative:

Try to guess what the buried lede is in this r/legaladvice post!

Fired By Job After Saying I'm Going To HR

Guys I was fired for going to HR. Can I sue the company for damages or get unemployment? Just a little extra info: I did pull a knife on my boss

also in the comments he mentions that he was charged with some hyper specific offence that another LA poster recognized as an offence under the UCMJ. dude's like "yeah I'm not in the military, but this was on a military base"

I'm not convinced it's not some prof of a 1L crim class workshopping an exam question

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I honestly can't get over being so entrenched in masculinity that you think a teenager trying to honor her late father is some sort of potshot at you for not having biological kids. She's clearly undermining and insulting your manhood and fatherhood! Why can't she just be happy that you're happy and be quiet about this whole thing!

It's almost like... respecting your child's autonomy is part of being a father and violating that might cause her to prefer honoring her other dad instead of you :thunk:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
AITA for pointing out the use of a racist word?

quote:

It seems obvious, but my sibling made points about it not being my place to say anything about its use.

For context, my family is white and my siblings fiancé is Latinx.

Over the years, my sibling's fiancé has repeatedly used the n-word, and I believe that they should not use it because they are not Black. I started saying something about it 3 years ago. It started with "hey, you probably shouldn't say that word." Nothing changed. I got more assertive and would say "don't say that." Nothing changed. As of the last few months, I've been fed up and respond with phrases like pointing out that they're not Black and it's a really lovely thing to say.

A month ago, I saw that the word was used online, so I linked fiancé to an article written by a Black woman explaining why the word is harmful even when used by non-Black POC. Fiance's response was to tell me to shut the gently caress up and that they will say whatever they want. The comment was deleted after I had some likes/agreements from Black people. Last week, fiancé dropped the n-word again in front of my sibling. I paused for a second but after realizing that nothing was about to be said, I piped up and said "hey, did you know you're not Black?"

A day later, my sibling went OFF on me. Subtweeting me about being toxic and texted me about cutting contact. Sibling's main points were:

I'm white so I have no room to say if a Latinx person can say the n-word. He has his own discrimination to face, which I think was being used to justify a "pass." If any white person will educate, it would be them.

I'm bullying fiancé because "you know you're smarter than them and it's easy to pick on them."

Fiance is remorseful about the use of the word, so it's mean to put them on the spot when they're already embarrassed.

My other sibling seems to agree with fiancé/sibling. My partner agrees with me and thinks that using racist words should always be called out no matter the difference.

So Reddit, AITA for being against the fiancé's use of the n-word?

TLDR: my sibling thinks I'm toxic for pointing out their non-Black fiancé's repeated use of the n-word.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Invisible Clergy posted:

Who eats in restaurants with pictures on the menu?

Certainly helped me in Cambodia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for pointing out the use of a racist word?

"My fiance is STUPID AS poo poo, so they just don't understand 'that's a bad thing to say' repeated over and over to them! and they feel bad about it, that's why they keep doing it!"