Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Algol Star posted:

Also up to a point your spice tolerance is based on what you've eaten in the past and finding mild spice completely intolerable is often a sign that you've been eating the blandest food for your entire life. You might never enjoy the burn of really hot stuff but it's easy to get accustomed to mild spice.

Enjoying things from other cultures does make you more cultured, yes.

What’s funny is it doesn’t really make you cultured but it’s a great way to pretend your cultured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
People say my spice taste is nuanced and discerning, ha ha I don’t know about all of that I’m just a citizen of the world.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why don't people every get like real worked up about how much pucker they can take and how real man can handle so much sour it makes the skin on the inside of your mouth peel off? Why is it always heat that makes them cultured and superior?

If you cant go and suck lemons what are you even doing with your life.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Party Sub Dude, I found someone for you!

AITA for snitching on my coworker who would take all of the snacks from our pantry at 8:00AM? She now feels ostracized from our team.

Gonna last like 3 weeks before a "honor" system is just thrown out and the company installs a $1 a item vending machine in there.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Why don't people every get like real worked up about how much pucker they can take and how real man can handle so much sour it makes the skin on the inside of your mouth peel off? Why is it always heat that makes them cultured and superior?

I will peel and eat a lemon like an orange. Much more enjoyable than oranges.

My spice tolerance is mediocre at best but I will still choke down vindaloo and Thai food through the tears because it's delicious

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

pentyne posted:

Gonna last like 3 weeks before a "honor" system is just thrown out and the company installs a $1 a item vending machine in there.

and people will be required to come in 5 days a week.

lol businesses are reopening their offices

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

and people will be required to come in 5 days a week.

lol businesses are reopening their offices

nature is healing

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I ate Thai spicy pad Thai last night and I am never doing that again

Holy poo poo. And I can actually handle spice, or at least I used to be able to until I burned my damned taste buds off

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
There used to be a Thai restaurant near me that had five tiers of spiciness for its menu. The owner wouldn't let you order a dish above level 2 unless you could prove to him you could handle it. My entire family loves spicy food and none of us except for my sister ever ordered higher than a 2.

That place was loving great.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Oh boy, the 'my feelings on spicy food' talk. Later let's all talk about how we did things when we got married and why that's the only sensible option.

I miss the multipage derail about the superior sock pattern

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MarcusSA posted:

God drat lol

That's just plain "ruining it for everyone". C'mon people, follow Commandment Zero: just don't be a jerk about it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

GlyphGryph posted:

Did you not have the warheads trend at your school?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tarkus posted:

Because it makes them feel superior and oddly enough, cultured.

Wine and beer taste weird as hell first time you try it, coffee is bitter oily fluid, pickles might make you pucker first time, lemons twist your face up too, anything from the ocean tastes like something from the trash first bite, onions got a zingy BO aura with you bite in, cheese ain't taste like nothing a person would naturally think to put in their mouth -- but all of these things are delicious once you get used to it and you're probably better off for it to just be able to enjoy the food and drinks of the world. Spiciness is this weird one that gets excluded but it's one of the basic regular ways for food to taste.

A minimum bar on spicy tolerance to match bitter, sweet, savory, salty tolerance would just make for better food and variety in restaurants and maybe cut down the number of comments on food recipes where someone removed every ingredient until it's just spaghettios and complain its no good.

Probably easiest to just add it to the public water supply like fluoride. Keep our teeth strong and spice tolerance average with spicy municipal tap

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

spicy municipal tap

They’ve rolled this out in a few places but only as a side effect of fracking.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Nobody cares how spicy your food is. We aren't eating it. Christ food derails are dumb as poo poo.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Atticus_1354 posted:

Did you not have the warheads trend at your school?

I thought I was the only one!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Anyway if your going to keep this up spicy food derail, record yourself on YouTube eating a Carolina reaper* (with proof of username or date etc) or face to the ol spicy probe, oven fresh

*shotglass of Samyang sauce, any capsaicin based misery. if spice makes you sick, an entire jar of Mayo, eat it. Vegan? A can or Tetra Pak full of garbanzo beans WITH aquafaba

E: any other dietary need, the toothpaste OJ surprise. Have a sip

These probes only apply for spicy derails - other flavors are fine because you never have a loving umami dick waving derail (don’t even try, I’ll force feed you bouillon cubes)

teen witch fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 16, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

teen witch posted:

I thought I was the only one!

Not gonna lie. I'm kind of craving some now but I imagine they aren't as good as I remember.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

GlyphGryph posted:

When I was a kid I used to buy shitloads of Warheads candy to do exactly this with my friends.

:smugdog::pipe:

Edit: I should've read the rest of the page. Hell yeah.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I once had a friend in college who got really upset when I tried his "hot" chili and I told him it had no taste. Like yeah it was hot but the beans were mushy and it was watery and the beef was overcooked to the point of being rubbery. It had no taste regardless of how spicy it actually was. I told him that and he got really angry because apparently "spicy" is supposed to be a flavor.

But it's not. You need flavors in addition to heat, otherwise my tongue is just tingling and I'm annoyed because I'm sampling lovely chilly.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
There is no superior sock pattern. The ideal pattern is such a case of a la moment and circumstance that no reasonable person could expect to ever reach a true consensus only a majority of people who lost their first several choices in the preliminary votes. A thing only to be settled on.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I like socks with cats on them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
My socks are covered with mushrooms and pangolin scales.

I don't know why someone decided to combine those, pattern wise, into a single sock, but I love them, and they did multiple variants, and they are now the only patterns I wear.

Om the topic of sour:
I actually once bought a package of, like... warheadlike candies but way more sour than even the sourest warheads I remember were and it was a mistake. It burned several holes in my tongue and mouth. Google images has some great pictures of the sort of damage I suffered when I was younger.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 16, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I got a pair of Edgar Allen Poe socks and every time I put them on I'm a little disappointed they aren't toe socks which is probably on brand.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I got my partner a set of those pizza toppings socks that come all folded up looking like a pizza.
They own.

Secondly best gift ever, first being a set of socks and jocks with my idiot cats face all over them

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I got my la valenentia socks as a wedding favor where part of the reception involved a formal tipping ritual for the staff (assuming the staff member was circumcised). I was very offended because they know perfectly well Cholula is the superior egg hot sauce so I refused to tip and then went to change into the traditional wedding guest garb of an ornate white ball gown but the bride refused to cede the place of honor even though my train was larger so I told her she's a bad mother. AITA?

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

HIJK posted:

I once had a friend in college who got really upset when I tried his "hot" chili and I told him it had no taste. Like yeah it was hot but the beans were mushy and it was watery and the beef was overcooked to the point of being rubbery. It had no taste regardless of how spicy it actually was. I told him that and he got really angry because apparently "spicy" is supposed to be a flavor.

But it's not. You need flavors in addition to heat, otherwise my tongue is just tingling and I'm annoyed because I'm sampling lovely chilly.

If you're ever in Charlotte, NC, and you wanna go to a lovely dive bar I've loved for more than a decade, go to The Moosehead. They have these amazing wings with a sauce they call Hoisin Poison. It used to be made with Trinidad Moruga Scorpion peppers, but now they use the Carolina Reaper. The sauce is just gorgeously sweet and sticky and full of umami from the fermented soy, and it's just lovely, and then the heat hits, and it hits HARD. And it's overwhelming, but the flavor is still there, and I recommend just guzzling the wings while watching whatever trainwreck is going on around you, and washing it down with a good beer, nothing too bitter because it'll ruin the flavor.

That's my plug for my favorite hot-food-having place. They've also got bangin' fried cheese triangle...things.

Content:

I think the marriage counsellor my wife and I are seeing has a crush on her.

quote:

We're both in our 20s. We're seeing a marriage counsellor because I've been too depressed to get it up and she's very sensitive and tends to take it personally. The main objective of these sessions are to get me to the point where we're having sex but also exploring other ways we can express love for each other and just keep our relationship in shape through my depression. Anyway, about the counsellor...

I sound crazy and jealous but this guy has his eyes pinned to her the entire time. I'm not even sure he knows what I look like. Every time he sees her, he compliments her too. Those are both fine. She's beautiful. I stare at her all the time, too. He always takes her side and seems to be genuinely upset at me. I don't know if this is normal for marriage counsellor. He'll give passionate speeches like "this beautiful young woman is waiting for you! She needs you to make love to her!" (paraphrasing)...and I get that...I just can't. Today I feel like he crossed the line. My wife has an eccentric fashion sense, and he told her he just happened to come across this headband he thought she'd like, completely her style. She, of course, loved it. It just seems insanely unprofessional to me.

I told her so and she said it's just a headband, probably no more than $10. I mean, she's right about that. She agrees he is siding with her a little, but she said our problems aren't really "side" things because we're not blaming each other...but it's weird. My wife tries not to blame me, but this guy is.

He has helped us in some areas, I won't deny that. In other areas, I feel like he's doing more harm than good. Am I misinterpreting things? Do I sound crazy and jealous? Should I ask my wife if she wants to start seeing another counsellor? What would anybody else do, because I'm lost here. My wife does like him a lot, and I looked up counsellor biases and I found a lot of counsellors saying it's only natural to be on the "side" of the person you feel like is in the right, so maybe I really am wrong.

I've never gone to couples counseling, but I would presume this is way over appropriate boundaries. OP should really listen to his gut here.

edit: just saw the spicy derail TW post, can I beg mod mercy and post it in a few days? I'm out of town right now and don't have access to spicy food. Will post by end of Wednesday, I just think it'd be funny to read out a relationships post after eating something wicked.

spouse fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 16, 2021

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

teen witch posted:

Anyway if your going to keep this up spicy food derail, record yourself on YouTube eating a Carolina reaper* (with proof of username or date etc) or face to the ol spicy probe, oven fresh

*shotglass of Samyang sauce, any capsaicin based misery. if spice makes you sick, an entire jar of Mayo, eat it. Vegan? A can or Tetra Pak full of garbanzo beans WITH aquafaba

E: any other dietary need, the toothpaste OJ surprise. Have a sip

These probes only apply for spicy derails - other flavors are fine because you never have a loving umami dick waving derail (don’t even try, I’ll force feed you bouillon cubes)

Just a reminder that I expect this, or face to probe

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

spouse posted:

I've never gone to couples counseling, but I would presume this is way over appropriate boundaries. OP should really listen to his gut here.

I can't imagine any context where a medical practitioner buying a gift for a patient would be remotely acceptable. I feel like should that happen in certain contexts (like here) the person would be reported to their local licensing board for their actions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

spouse posted:

"this beautiful young woman is waiting for you! She needs you to make love to her!"

All I can picture here is Jon Lovitz from the SNL "Tales of Ribaldry" sketch

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont worry, hes not a real therapist, he just likes to watch other people gently caress

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for firing my bridesmaid?

quote:

Throwaway because my friend group uses reddit.

I (F28) have a main friendship group with three other girls and we've all been friends since school. One of the girls, let's call her Rachel, is the only single one and I'd say I am the least close with her.

My fiancé proposed to me last year and I invited all three girls to be bridesmaids. I created a bridesmaid WhatsApp group and we have been discussing ideas and plans for the wedding and hen do. Rachel was being unhelpful from the start. She would reply to messages really late, never offer opinions, and would always say she's working and use being an A&E nurse during the pandemic as an excuse. But I know for a fact that she is often on WhatsApp during her shifts, so it's not like she couldn't message back.

I’ve tried very hard not to be a bridezilla and the only "extra" thing I’ve requested is that she cut her hair AN INCH. Just one inch. But she refuses to do it because “she’s a Sikh”. I don't believe this for a second as she hasn't been a practicing Sikh for YEARS. It has also taken 3 MONTHS for the bridesmaids to pick a dress that they could all agree to wear, mostly because Rachel kept saying the colours didn't flatter her skin colour.

I got progressively more annoyed with her until one day last week, I lost my temper and told them all to decide on a dress by the end of next Friday. Rachel proceeded to ignore me and the group chat for the ENTIRE WEEK, even though I know she spoke privately to the other girls.

By the end of Friday, I deleted Rachel from the group chat and blocked her number and socials. She got in touch through her brother and acted like she didn't know what was wrong. I told her she was trying to ruin my wedding because she was a sad singleton who didn't want anyone else to be happy. I said she was no longer my bridesmaid or invited to the wedding, and we had a big problem if she wanted to remain in our friendship group because I didn't want to see her anymore. She said she hadn't been able to get involved in the wedding talk this past week because her grandma was ill in hospital and she didn't want the pressures of having to focus on things "that didn't matter". I was enraged by this as I knew she was lying. I immediately got her mums address from another friend and sent a bunch of flowers and a card to their home, saying how sorry I was about their grandma.

As it turns out her grandma WAS in hospital but it was only because of a sprained ankle. Rachel made it sound like she was on death's door. I was so angry with her for exaggerating, using her poorly grandma as yet another excuse, and trying to minimise my wedding by saying it "doesn't matter". I know family comes first and I'm glad her grandma is recovering, but she didn't have to ignore my messages ALL WEEK and make the last few months unbearable with all her excuses, lack of opinions and fussy demands. I am not backing down and refuse to have her in my wedding.

AITA for firing her as bridesmaid?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for firing my bridesmaid?

Hmm, garbage person, or trash fire person?

quote:

Reading comprehension is key. I ended the friendship because she ghosted me for a week. The hair thing was a minor issue that has blown up in the comments section because of course everybody has to virtue signal for a religious minority! I didn't even say ANYTHING after she said she wouldn't cut her hair because she was Sikh. I didn't make a big deal out of it in person – it's just one of the many reasons she has upset me throughout this wedding planning process.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

Hmm, garbage person, or trash fire person?

:guillotine:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MarcusSA posted:

These are my cats and I'm getting real tired of their poo poo too. I can't even move them because I feel bad because they look so comfortable.

gently caress those assholes.

Hahaha. Our cat often sits on my wife's lap on the sofa and then she begs ME to move him because she doesn't want to be the bad person who chucks the cat off

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

spouse posted:

How big a cuck shack do you think the "counsellor" will instruct OP to build at their next session?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Party Sub Dude, I found someone for you!

AITA for snitching on my coworker who would take all of the snacks from our pantry at 8:00AM? She now feels ostracized from our team.

Sub dude is actually better than this lady because he at least attempted to fig leaf his greed.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

pentyne posted:

I can't imagine any context where a medical practitioner buying a gift for a patient would be remotely acceptable. I feel like should that happen in certain contexts (like here) the person would be reported to their local licensing board for their actions.

Agree reporting or asking the appropriate professional organizations for guidance is appropriate here so not relevant to this post but young kids definitely get stuff bought for them by doctors and nurses.
Also seen flowers/etc being bought for a long time inpatient with no other family or friends so their birthday/milestone would otherwise go unremarked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Agree reporting or asking the appropriate professional organizations for guidance is appropriate here so not relevant to this post but young kids definitely get stuff bought for them by doctors and nurses.
Also seen flowers/etc being bought for a long time inpatient with no other family or friends so their birthday/milestone would otherwise go unremarked.
Children are not fully grown adults, and customary flowers are far different than seeking out even a cheap item of clothing specifically for one half of a client pair.

e: a half that is of the opposite sex