Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Gats Akimbo posted:

Good for her, but she's 100% going to come home to find all her left-handed stuff has been thrown out.

Pretty much a given, however someone who posted that would then follow it immediately by the MIL being thrown out. And optionally the fiancée.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for wanting to give my daughter an Irish name that my whole family hates?

"My partner is Irish, and we both love the name Saoirse (Ser-Sha)."

This is one of my cat's names.

Cat tax, she's on the left:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Is your wife a person of color? I've noticed that people seem to gently caress up names for people who are either not white or don't have a very "white" sounding name out of pure racism, whether they realize it or not, even when the names are EXCRUCIATINGLY simple. One of my coworkers had a first and last name that were both one syllable each and pronounced exactly as they're read, but the name was also visibly East Asian (think Cho Chang) so people still, somehow, found new and exciting ways to gently caress it up.

Eh, it’s plainly obvious you are projecting there chief. I have a very simple name that gets mispronounced regularly by people of other cultures ( think Jones mispronounced as joe-nez is the most common way) and I never thought they were doing it to be Racist. Names, like all words: rely upon familiarity to pronounce correctly to native speakers and names are a class of words that people regularly have to pronounce outside of their familiar structure.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

spouse posted:

Yo.

My husband wants an open marriage since I won't give him blowjobs after my surgery

Gold from the comments:

Thia girl is giving the guy at least 1 handjob every day and that's still not enough? I literally cannot imagine having that level of entitlement. This is a few days after a surgery too, just holy poo poo.

I guess this guy must have the cleanest rear end a human can ever hope to have.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It doesn’t bug me when my name is mispronounced, but when I explain the pronunciation and they continue to mispronounce the same way is when I get a bit ticked off.

Like you can tell when it’s someone kind of getting the mouthfeel of it, and ok you’re trying so points to ya, but I’ve had a lot of people just hear me pronounce it and ignore it which is insanely rude. I’d rather have the 20 Questions about the drat name.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I purposely mispronounced my English teacher's name in high school cause she was trash

Like, told my friend "you need to be less creative" kind of trash

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

Khizan posted:

They're not an rear end in a top hat, but they should rethink the name if they're not living in Ireland or thereabouts because that kid is gonna spend the rest of their life spelling it for people and telling them how to pronounce it and nobody is ever going to get it right, and there's a good chance they'll hate being the weird name kid. Also, assuming they're American I'd also bet they get called on less often in class, and they may well get fewer callbacks for jobs because assholes won't want to bother learning how to pronounce it.

It's a pretty name and they should call her that if they really want to, but they should do it understanding that this is a lovely world and their kid might suffer because of it. My first name is easy to pronounce but it's an old man name and the mockery it caught from other kids every time a teacher used it literally drove me to tears when when I was younger. I hated my name back then, and honestly? I still hate it now, just not enough to go to the trouble of changing it. I just use my middle name everywhere.

IMO do Saoirse as a middle name and look for a Irish first name that's more likely to be pronounced properly where they're living. Their kid will thank them when they're older.

Is your name Gaylord?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Motronic posted:

This is one of my cat's names.

Cat tax, she's on the left:

You monster no one can pronounce that name, you've condemned your cat to a lifetime of being made fun of. I love her :kimchi:

limp_cheese posted:

Thia girl is giving the guy at least 1 handjob every day and that's still not enough? I literally cannot imagine having that level of entitlement. This is a few days after a surgery too, just holy poo poo.

If I'm reading that correctly, it's only been two goddamn days since she got her vagina surgically reshaped for his pleasure.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

It's been three whole days okay? Men have needs and it's actually ABUSIVE to withhold affection.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

spouse posted:

Yo.

My husband wants an open marriage since I won't give him blowjobs after my surgery

Gold from the comments:

What kind of prize do I win for assuming there's a massive age gap on this one?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

limp_cheese posted:

my guess is if he's ponying up for elective surgeries like that he's pretty wealthy

hopefully she finds the self-respect and personal financial independence to leave him

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

What kind of prize do I win for assuming there's a massive age gap on this one?

OP doesn't say but she does have these replies:

quote:

*snip*
I think we do have some communication problems. I don't think he's malicious like a lot of people are saying, but just immature about certain things and I lack a backbone at times.

Last reply:

quote:

Does everyone here actually think I'm being abused? I do think we have more problems in our marriage than I realized before, but I don't think he's trying to hurt me.

lol

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA For throwing away date's gift?

quote:

So I recently went on a date with a guy and we had a pretty great time. He took me home afterwards and that was that. Then a few days later he came over out of the blue and bought me a box of chocolates. It was a nice gesture and I sadly wasn't grateful enough because I was rushing around trying to get ready for an important work function. So I just put them to one side. He was kind of annoyed by my disappointing reaction and wanted to stay and enjoy them with me, but he took it okay when I told him I would if I didn't have to go out.

Fast-forward a day and I was off, so I decided to get the chocolates out and enjoy them. But when I did, I noticed the box is supposed to be sealed and the seal was broken. I didn't want to eat them after that in case they were off or something, because you need to be careful with food, so I threw them out.

Anyway, a few days later he asked if I ate them and I told him the truth, then he freaked out and said I was being really rude to him. AITA?
:yikes:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

She should dig them out of the garbage and enjoy them as he had intended. how rude to not eat the roofie-macadamia chocolate!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

rohypnol liqueur is the worst flavor anyway, IDK why they even include those

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did someone just dodge getting drugged?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Silly Newbie posted:

Did someone just dodge getting drugged?

Drugged, food poisoned, and/or dating someone with no common sense. There is absolutely no good reason ever to eat something with an unexpectedly broken seal

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Good ol' Whitman's Chocolate Rape Sampler

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I mean there's a high probability that they were most likely roofied/poisoned, but what, exactly, was the guy going to do? Was he going to stalk her house and wait to see if she got sick? Was he going to just show up randomly hoping she was passed out? I'm not understanding what the endgame was there

either way, she probably dodged a hella bullet

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

low key sex master posted:

I mean there's a high probability that they were most likely roofied/poisoned, but what, exactly, was the guy going to do? Was he going to stalk her house and wait to see if she got sick? Was he going to just show up randomly hoping she was passed out? I'm not understanding what the endgame was there

either way, she probably dodged a hella bullet

He was insisting she eat them while he was there.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

The broken seal is suspicious as gently caress, but even aside from that, it's also really hinky that the guy dropped by with no notice and expected OP to be available and happy to hang out with him. Especially after one date.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

It's not roofies, he put a nude photo of himself under the chocolates to discover like in that bar game

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is why you don't let dates know your home address.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

If it was Cadbury roofie and a half you’d think he’d be relieved she didn’t eat them after he left.
For reals it’s obvious she suspects something but probably didn’t know where to take the not so kinder surprises for checking.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

deety posted:

The broken seal is suspicious as gently caress, but even aside from that, it's also really hinky that the guy dropped by with no notice and expected OP to be available and happy to hang out with him. Especially after one date.

it seems most likely that he showed up unannounced with a cheap gift as a ploy to force spending time together, and by discarding the gift he feels personally insulted because he is a pushy weirdo

the chocolates being laced is a definite possibility though

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I just assumed he had already opened it to eat a couple :shrug:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

deety posted:

I missed that, but holy gently caress showing up unannounced after a single date? That's an immediate leap into possible creeper territory before the chocolates thing.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Is your wife a person of color? I've noticed that people seem to gently caress up names for people who are either not white or don't have a very "white" sounding name out of pure racism, whether they realize it or not, even when the names are EXCRUCIATINGLY simple. One of my coworkers had a first and last name that were both one syllable each and pronounced exactly as they're read, but the name was also visibly East Asian (think Cho Chang) so people still, somehow, found new and exciting ways to gently caress it up.

Technically yes, but most people wouldn't pick it and her surname is thoroughly English.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I've just learned I'm the most clueless guy on earth and to make sure not to break seals/packaging to put in surprise gift cards etc

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

I've just learned I'm the most clueless guy on earth and to make sure not to break seals/packaging to put in surprise gift cards etc

on its own nobody'd probably think twice about it. That whole story is a bunch of in isolation mildly awkward behaviors that when put together add up to some real sinister psycho poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2021

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Now tell the thread how you hold chopsticks. (I do it wrong.)

Sharpen the end, spear my food.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

on its own nobody'd probably think twice about it. That whole story is a bunch of in isolation mildly awkward behaviors that when put together add up to some real sinister psycho poo poo

Yeah I just often forget that women have good reasons to be wary

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Sharpen the end, spear my enemies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Three of them, between the knuckles, while saying "snikt"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The fancier restaurants provide an extra one for wandering hands.

Edit: I meant that to refer to "can I try that" food sneaks, but I think I'm gonna leave it as-is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Elissimpark posted:

My wife has a simple arabic name - four letters long using three different letters, pronounced exactly as it looks in English, no ambiguity, no weird punctuation, rhymes with a large media corporation.

How is Koks, btw?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It isn't one thing alone, it's the pyramid. Showing up uninvited at her house after one date, bringing chocolates and demanding that she drop everything to eat with him right then and there, getting angry when she says she didn't eat them, and oh yes, the chocolates weren't factory-sealed.

Any one of those would be creepy, but the combination is RUN AWAY SCREAMING.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

It's not that alarming on its own, assuming those are gifts to people who know you and there actually is something inside the packaging for them to find. It's a compounding factor when you're also a pushy creep.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I mean, everyone's right, it's a combination of things. But do keep in mind that women are taught never to drink/eat things that have been given to them unsealed by a dude for very good reasons. Probably most comfortable for the lady if you just give them the surprise thing in a card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean, everyone's right, it's a combination of things. But do keep in mind that women are taught never to drink/eat things that have been given to them unsealed by a dude for very good reasons. Probably most comfortable for the lady if you just give them the surprise thing in a card.

I've watched enough forensic files to.be suspicious of my own gf offering me food (shes normally greedy)