Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kid should be called Maze, short for Mazikeen, from the hit Fox/Netflix series Lucifer, returning for the second half of season 5 this Friday, May 28!

edit: a short story of a brain broken man, found from the search term "Devil"

My husband always plays Devil's Advocate and it's exhausting

quote:

My husband is a self-proclaimed skeptic and Devil's Advocate. It didn't bother me for many years, because I wasn't usually the target. That has changed though, especially the last 6 months since we've both been working from home and together constantly. I've always known he doesn't like it when I complain or make negative comments. I've done a pretty good job at biting my tongue from saying how annoyed I am by a coworker, blah blah, because it won't be received well. I think it's because he can't fix the situation, and doesn't want to be my sounding board.

So moving on, it's evolved to nearly every comment I make. Yesterday I said, "So my sister got a 16% raise today!" He does his classic head roll/pursed lips reaction, and said, "that's.. okay, I guess." I'm like "OKAY? That's more than okay, it's great!" A few miles down the road, I told him I had a nice chat with a coworker, who happens to be black. She told me her son said he wishes his skin was white, which broke my heart. His response? Same annoyed head roll, and says, "in what context?" I'm like "I don't know he's 4." He says, "You have to realize little kids say stuff like that all the time." Oh, and forget politics or Covid-19. Although he says we agree on both, he'll argue opposing viewpoints or demand I give him more data until he's blue in the face. I've accepted I can't talk to him about either topics.

He thinks I'm overly sensitive and emotional. I am absolutely sensitive and I'm very empathetic. He criticizes me for it, when I ask him to stop automaticaly opposing everything I say. If I bring it up, he's automatically defensive and thinks I'm attacking him. Regardless of how nicely I phrase it. I'm craving meaningful conversation with my husband, and it seems impossible to achieve when he's always arguing my point. I enjoy conversations with like-minded people, which wouldn't include someone that's going to challenge everything I say. I think validation and support from my partner would be nice, and I don't think it's too much to ask for, is it?

oh jay fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I've never heard of maize being used as a colour. Don't name a human maize.

quote:

i don’t give a poo poo how it makes me sound. whenever someone here looks it up only the color appears. i didn’t come here for you to criticize my name choices i came here to see if it was ok to change her name. and i wasn’t going to but now you all’s annoying asses have convinced me to change her name

Good luck to the kid, they'll need it.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 23, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ok you can give your child a dumb name if you name that child after a satan

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

ok you can give your child a dumb name if you name that child after a satan

My child will do nothing but stream the immensely popular game Dead by Daylight on Twitch.tv.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sodium Chloride posted:

I've never heard of maize being used as a colour. Don't name a human maize.

I think it is a crayola crayon color

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

oh jay posted:

Kid should be called Maze, short for Mazikeen, from the hit Fox/Netflix series Lucifer, returning for the second half of season 5 this Friday, May 28!

This guy must have the cleanest butt hole

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

oh jay posted:

There's a certain type of person (usually a man, for obvious reasons) that thinks laying down the 'sensitive' and 'emotional' cards will automatically invalidate a counter-argument. I never really understood why. Everybody has emotions? Just because somebody has an emotional investment in their position doesn't mean they can't argue from it.

I've also noticed that these people are often the first to make the argument entirely about Their Hurt Feelings if the other person happens to raise their voice even slightly.

quote:

If I bring it up, he's automatically defensive and thinks I'm attacking him.

lmbo

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Fruits of the sea posted:

Seems like a pretty normal dynamic? The 15 year-old is at the age where they want their own thing and the 12 year-old looks up to their big sister and wants to be included.

Assuming the parents are really strapped for cash then no-one is the rear end in a top hat in this situation.

...I’m not looking forward to the time when I have kids in that age group.

My two kids are 7 and 5 and love each other, will take naps together and even sleep together if one is scared and they play really well together even by themselves when my partner and I are doing our own thing. I am pretty positive it’s always going to be like this and I will never have to readjust to any other kind of formative dynamic between them.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I never really understood why. Everybody has emotions? Just because somebody has an emotional investment in their position doesn't mean they can't argue from it.

When you spend your entire life being bombarded with the position that showing emotions is unmanly, it often becomes ingrained that having emotions is equally unmanly. So you pretend to yourself that you don't have them, and reject them as a weakness in others. It is a central aspect of toxic masculinity.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Danaru posted:

I cyberstalk my dad online as best I can because he's too stupid to use a computer, specifically so I can find out when he finally loving dies and I can appear like a dark storm and challenge every part of his will. I'm pretty sure his new family doesnt even know I exist so I hope they're already buckled up because I'm turning his inheritance into a complete poo poo show.

I am here for this post and for your mission.

Excellent post/username combo

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

oh jay posted:

why did she marry this person

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

rotinaj posted:

He made a very good argument in favor of it.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Because ESH - she herself said she's totally cool with him being an rear end in a top hat, just so long as it's pointed elsewhere.

quote:

It didn't bother me for many years, because I wasn't usually the target.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Wow I had to stop at the ghb. Do people really use that recreationally? Huge loving red flag there, omg. I bet the lovely ex and his friend were in on it together to give it to her.

Recreational GHB induces euphoria at desired dosages and is apparently a great time apart from the fact that if you get the dosage wrong you wake up 24 hours later in ER and as soon as you suggest it at a party everyone assumes you're a rapist.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I sure hope that's satire.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Maize is fine being both a plant and color as a name. There’s plenty of other names that fall into that combined category.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Wow I had to stop at the ghb. Do people really use that recreationally? Huge loving red flag there, omg. I bet the lovely ex and his friend were in on it together to give it to her.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DreamingofMaize

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

oh jay posted:

quote:

He’s a republican, but not a trump supporter (thank god). He wears his mask according to our state mandate, but also thinks everyone just needs to get on with their lives.

lol "he's not like those other fascists"

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

I was given a little thing of GHB by some guys I shared weed with when I was on a road trip once, I took it when I got back to my hotel and it was actually really enjoyable.

It definitely made me wonder what two middle aged pool salesmen in this random town for a pool conference were doing with a bunch of the stuff though.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Literally the best thing you can do with contrarians / skeptics / devil's advocates is to excise them from your life.

I knew one once and no matter what the topic of discussion was, they insisted on digging into everything, like down to "can you really be sure that the M.D. on that byline is actually a medical doctor? how do you know his bona fides? do you really trust the publication to verify his credentials?" blah blah blah. I eventually just stopped talking to him.

Like a healthy bit of skepticism, I get, and understand. But the pathological need to argue with people is just tedious and boring. Those kinds of people have nothing of value to say, and do nothing to enrich your life. The sooner you remove them from it, the happier you will be.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

massive spider posted:

Recreational GHB induces euphoria at desired dosages and is apparently a great time apart from the fact that if you get the dosage wrong you wake up 24 hours later in ER and as soon as you suggest it at a party everyone assumes you're a rapist.

Tom Segura has a great story about whoopsieing and taking too much.

https://youtu.be/QEkC_Q1ERyk

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
GHB was pretty common recreationally in the gayer social circles when I was younger. Whippets were also common.

What I never saw was cocaine, oddly enough, since thats the go to for my current age group apparently.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

Noted. Uhh, yeah if we are in the "rent a bouncy castle" bracket then the parents are being dicks about it.

I work with a guy whose side gig is renting those out for parties and such and his rates are something like $80 for 24 hours. It's a luxury, yeah, but not a ludicrous one, and it's cheaper than something like a movie and dinner for a family of four.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Where is maize only referenced as a color and not as corn?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Crayola boxes

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

glad I'm not the only one who thought of that

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

GlyphGryph posted:

GHB was pretty common recreationally in the gayer social circles when I was younger. Whippets were also common.

What I never saw was cocaine, oddly enough, since thats the go to for my current age group apparently.

https://youtu.be/tJJcSldOJOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Khizan posted:

I work with a guy whose side gig is renting those out for parties and such and his rates are something like $80 for 24 hours. It's a luxury, yeah, but not a ludicrous one, and it's cheaper than something like a movie and dinner for a family of four.
Even at only like $80, that's still enough of a luxury that if they can't afford to have separate birthday parties, you probably shouldn't be spending money on a bouncy house either. The entire cost of the older daughter's preferred "movie night with friends" birthday party would likely be less than what they're spending on just the bouncy house for the younger daughter.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the crayon next to Wheat

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's always the same sort of dude who will get super pumped about the latest hyperloop marketing stunt or techbro scam and eat up all the marketing, but then you mention something like systemic racism existing and they interrogate you for half an hour demanding studies and then nitpicking those studies then questioning the motives of the people who collected the data for those studies and ending with "well I'm just a very skeptical and scientific person, I don't just trust what ever I read like you"

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I feel like arguments about the parents' hypothetical financial bracket are moot when they turned her down requesting a simple sleepover with her friends separate from the party but would've allowed it on the same night as her sister's friends sleeping over.

That's clearly not about money at all, it's entirely about trying to get the older sister to babysit the younger one and include her in every aspect of her life, then getting pissed off that the older sister is refusing to play ball.

I'm going to read between the lines here a little: the 15 year old says the 12 year old insists on the 15 year old "playing with her or bouncing her in the bounce house". This is almost a 13 year old girl. I don't know about y'all, but I was a little old for bounce houses at that age (definitely too old to ask a sibling to bounce me?!) and was definitely independent enough to not be upset about mild disappointments like "sorry turns out the party is not as planned and your older sister would prefer a separate party". But the parents are leaning hard on the older sibling to go along with it so they don't have to disappoint the younger one or negotiate with her...

I'm getting the sense the younger kid is kind of spoiled/immature, expects attention to be on her, and throws tantrums when she doesn't get her way - and the parents don't want to deal with defusing that, so it's easier to shunt responsibility onto the other kid to take the brunt of it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

it's entirely about trying to get the older sister to babysit the younger one and include her in every aspect of her life, then getting pissed off that the older sister is refusing to play ball.
There must be something more, because their birthdays are in different months. Wouldn't it be easier to guilt the older sister into babysitting by giving her her own party on her own day, and then saying "well, today is your sister's day so you have to xxxx" rather than making the day be supposedly about both?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the pro move would be to convince the younger sister golden child that she is being shortchanged, and get her to agitate for a separate party all for herself

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There is nothing wrong with skepticism or playing devil's advocate in general, so long as you have a sense of when it is appropriate to do so. Which requires only the basest degree of social grace.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Should I (22F) tell my best friend (23M) I've been catfishing him?

UPDATE: Should I(22F) tell my bestfriend(23M) that I've been catfishing him?

quote:

Update to the post I made a month ago.

So! I told him. I wanted to wait a few weeks before I made an update post so I could see if his behavior towards me changed or not.

This is how it went down: I did it about 2 weeks ago during the weekend, since we already made plans to hang out. I was at his place, we were making tacos, I burnt a tortilla and as I was throwing it away I just blurted out "Okay you know what, I'm just gonna ask you, did you ever play [insert game] when you were a kid?"

He looked a bit confused, but then he nodded and said yeah. I asked him what his username was and when he told me, I feigned a bit of shock and said, "oh my god I knew it, you look so much like this kid I used to talk to" and then I told him my username. He was shocked, kept saying "what? What do you mean?" And then I just took out my laptop and logged into the site and showed him. I said it had been bothering me for a while because "I logged in recently and saw your comment, and then out of curiosity clicked on your profile and saw your picture and realized it was you." (the way profiles are set up on the site, you can respond to someone who commented on your profile without ever having to visit their profile. So it makes sense for me to have not seen his picture for years despite responding to his comment on the site) After long pauses and more questions, he asked me how long I knew and I told him about a year(I know) He asked me why I waited so long, and I told him because I really wasn't sure initially, the picture is from when he was an emo teen and I met him as an adult so he looked different. Also I was too creeped out by the possibility so I never said anything.

He then asked me a bunch of questions to verify I was really her. Afterwards he just kind of sat in everything and said "Wow, what are the loving odds".

After he got over the shock of it he thought it was the coolest thing ever, and even now seems really happy about it still. I couldn't be more relieved. A couple weeks have passed and we still hang out and talk like normal! We even planned to log into the game again and play like old times, but we haven't gotten around to it yet.

TLDR; It went well! Nothing really changed and we're still friends.

A few things: I want to clarify that neither of us use the site to communicate anymore and haven't done so in years. The extent of our communication is when we leave the "hope you're doing well!" Comment on each other profiles like once a year or two. We've both moved on from the site so it wasn't like I have been keeping up a double life of speaking to him in real life and on the site. Also yes, I know I am a loving weirdo for keeping this a secret for 3 years. While doing it I didn't think it was a big deal because I didn't even intend on telling him...but after having a bunch of internet strangers point it out to me I now know. I will try to be less of a loving weirdo moving forward. Thank you.

EDIT: Inb4 all the inevitable "you should date" comments lol. I know him well enough to know that while he is a good friend, he'd make a terrible boyfriend.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

It's always the same sort of dude who will get super pumped about the latest hyperloop marketing stunt or techbro scam and eat up all the marketing, but then you mention something like systemic racism existing and they interrogate you for half an hour demanding studies and then nitpicking those studies then questioning the motives of the people who collected the data for those studies and ending with "well I'm just a very skeptical and scientific person, I don't just trust what ever I read like you"

see also "pandering"

a movie with a black lady in a speaking role: sigh. the sjw hordes must be appeased I guess

a movie about Joe Whitebread, the pasty unemployed computer nerd who becomes a billionaire action hero and bangs five supermodels at once: wow such verisimilitude. a masterclass in storytelling

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There is nothing wrong with skepticism or playing devil's advocate in general, so long as you have a sense of when it is appropriate to do so. Which requires only the basest degree of social grace.

I disagree and here's why,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

There's a certain type of person (usually a man, for obvious reasons) that thinks laying down the 'sensitive' and 'emotional' cards will automatically invalidate a counter-argument. I never really understood why. Everybody has emotions? Just because somebody has an emotional investment in their position doesn't mean they can't argue from it.

I've also noticed that these people are often the first to make the argument entirely about Their Hurt Feelings if the other person happens to raise their voice even slightly.

lmbo

If you're trying to make a prescriptive claim, you really should be able to argue any position from a non-emotional perspective, using data to trace a logical path to substantiate your claim.

But you shouldn't need to do that every time you have a discussion about loving anything with your significant other. Jeeesus that's gotta be exhausting. Debatebro relationship sounds like a lovely time.