Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
this one is pure goon bait

AITA for being at breaking point with my husband’s made up language?

quote:

My OH has always been a bit goofy, giving his own names to things and doing impressions. About 18 months ago this started to increase a lot. It’s now a constant presence in our lives and I’m finding it difficult to live with.

Examples: He has his own name for most retail outlets, professionals, organizations… - Eatyourgreens (Walgreens), Sharts & Gobbles (Barnes & Noble)

He has about 30-40 everyday words that he insists on using in place of normal ones… - Skuppers (with a rising whistle at the end) ‘yes’ - Bing (with a descending whistle) ‘no’ - Bagayaya ‘goodnight’

He CONSTANTLY does weird sound impersonations, not like celebrities or characters, but a single noise that’s a made up sound or something childish like a fart from a children’s tv show

He speaks random words like ‘garbage’ or ‘douche bag’ whilst burping or farting

He has made up names for our friends which he uses sometimes even under his breath when we’re out with them - Pam and Will is ‘pig and wig’

I’ve just had enough. We got into bed the other night and I said ‘goodnight’ and he said ‘bagayaya’ in the high pitched voice he always does it in. I snapped and asked why he couldn’t just speak to me normally and he just laughed and came right up close to my face and did it again. His whistling is constant. He speaks to our kid in this stupid language and I’m worried it’s going to confuse normal language development because he changes the words so often. Our toddler could be about to hurt themselves and instead of saying ‘no’ or ‘come here’, he’ll say some ridiculous made up word or sound and then get annoyed when our kid doesn’t know what he wants.

He’s ‘normal’ in other respects, works in finance and is totally professional around his colleagues but different at home. I told him it needs to stop. I don’t mind it occasionally or for fun but it’s all the time and it’s wearing me down. He got upset and said I couldn’t take a joke and that I’m not fun any more. It’s true that I’ve become more irritable and noise averse since we had kids but I’m so worn out and over it and just want him to relate to me like an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

teen witch posted:

this one is pure goon bait

AITA for being at breaking point with my husband’s made up language?

"My husband is fun and creative and I won't stand for it!!!

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

champagne posting posted:

You must have quoted the wrong post

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

Aita for not shaving my pregnant girlfriend?

Dude, if I had another 5+ lbs attached to me, wild pregnancy hormones and couldn’t reach my private parts to at least trim I’d feel like I had constant swamp rear end. Unless I could shower a couple of times a day (and if I can’t shave down there, I’d probably have trouble washing), all that hair would be nothing but a sweat trap.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

Fun and creative at getting a divorce I guess

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

lol

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Nah, he’s deliberately doing it to annoy, and getting mad at a literal toddler while acting like a figurative toddler. Unless we’re ironicposting, in which case she is a wicked stepmother who hates the laughter of (man)children.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

AmiYumi posted:

Nah, he’s deliberately doing it to annoy, and getting mad at a literal toddler while acting like a figurative toddler. Unless we’re ironicposting, in which case she is a wicked stepmother who hates the laughter of (man)children.

Dunno, it could go either way with all these posts. She might be married to a character from The Sims, she might be annoyed and needed an outlet and the only available is Reddit.

What is an 'OH' anyway? Only Husband?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Yeah, this definitely reads like he's trying to force a terrible couple in-joke and then getting mad when called on it.

I'll leave the language development worry to someone who's more qualified than I am to comment on such matters except to say it sounds plausible? Is there a developmental linguist in the thread?

^^^ Other Half, according to google.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

What is an 'OH' anyway? Only Husband?

Other Half.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

Dunno, it could go either way

The only way he can go is into the sun

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That kind of sounds like Tourette's honestly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Husband is African Grey parrot. What matter? Wool.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

packetmantis posted:

How so? I'm not super familiar with it outside of the pop-culture context other than to note that it's more than just screaming "gently caress" randomly, that there are other tics as well, but this doesn't seem like a tic; he got in her face and very deliberately did it as a "power move".

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm not excusing his poo poo rear end behavior but he could have been embarrassed and trying to save face. The part where he mumbles the friends' nicknames under his breath while they're around is what got me.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
everything I needed to learn about shaving someone else's pubes I learned from max hardcore.... and night24

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bagayaya, you stupid bastard.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

packetmantis posted:

If he's able to control it/not do it at work then it's not Tourette's.

If your wife yells at you to just loving be normal for once right before she wants to sleep and you get in her face and do it again, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018

packetmantis posted:

Tourettes is an involuntary tic. It’s like needing to sneeze but you have to do some weird motion or say some word.

This guy is a voluntary rear end in a top hat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

Yeah, this definitely reads like he's trying to force a terrible couple in-joke and then getting mad when called on it.

I'll leave the language development worry to someone who's more qualified than I am to comment on such matters except to say it sounds plausible? Is there a developmental linguist in the thread?

^^^ Other Half, according to google.

not an expert but AFAIK during the critical language acquisition phase kids will hungrily pick up multiple languages without issue, so the kid might use the nonsense words interchangeably with actual words early on but it shouldn't gently caress up acquisition of real language.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
kids are incredible when it comes to learning language and will immediately understand that their dad is just speaking dadish, the native language of their dad and nobody else

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

You know what's loving great for ma'amscaping? Beard trimmers. No risk of accidentally cutting anything down there. So simple, a man could do it for you.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I'm sure something like the Manscaped Lawnmower would work too, unless a gendered product like that has a risk of exploding when applied to a vulva, like that guy who thought that a woman using a man's razor would skin herself alive.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Dazerbeams posted:

You know what's loving great for ma'amscaping? Beard trimmers. No risk of accidentally cutting anything down there. So simple, a man could do it for you.

Yup, I use a Wahl cordless beard trimmer and it works great. I don't want to shave because of ingrown hairs and cutting myself but I do like trimming and preventing a swamp.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm afraid to shave my own genitals, much less anyone else's.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

RoboRodent posted:

I'm afraid to shave my own genitals, much less anyone else's.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ever get nair on your sack? If you like ball pain for hours, wondering when it will stop, I highly recommend it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I wouldn’t shave my own junk, let alone someone else’s. Also I feel like a partner should be able to say they don’t want to do something like that.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Lotta people ITT admitting to cultivating crotch swamps.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

Lotta people ITT admitting to cultivating crotch swamps.

No, we just know how to wash ourselves.

Come on, get out of here with the idea that pubic hair is inherently dirty. It's hair, it's supposed to grow there, it's fashionable to remove it right now but there's no reason to act like choosing to do so makes you better or cleaner.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

blatman posted:

how the heck is it simple, it's flaps for days down there

Retract them

EDIT: So, when people are hearing "shaving" are they thinking using an electric trimmer, or a literal razor?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 20, 2021

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I'm a part of the no shaving someone else's crotch club. Just too much risk there. Wiping a baby's bum is different in that nothing sharp is going near there.

Maybe pay a professional for a wax or trim or something? I'm sure they've done it or seen worse.

For something a bit less crotch oriented, from Dear Abby:

quote:

DEAR ABBY: I was deeply hurt after going to a barbecue at my oldest daughter’s home.

It was to celebrate my granddaughter’s fourth birthday. My daughter’s husband is from Thailand. He barbecued beautiful dishes of shrimp and something that looked like a gigantic crawfish.

While my daughter is accustomed to and enjoys this food, she and her husband are aware that I, my husband, her sister and her niece are not accustomed to it. We simply do not like the flavor and texture.

When I asked my daughter if there were any hot dogs they could grill, at least for my 9-year-old granddaughter, she got angry and said she eats what her husband cooks.

I felt our part of the family was not even being considered. I was hurt for my youngest daughter and my other granddaughter, who had literally nothing to eat that they would even remotely like.

Am I wrong for feeling ignored being invited to a barbecue where my daughter knew all the food being offered were things we wouldn’t like?

1) The food sounds lovely.

2) Abby had the sensible advice of asking to bring more traditional American stuff as sides.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Neito posted:

Yeah I think it's this. This kind of garbled language is my couple in-joke with my partner. It's delightful to watch him accidentally own himself by ordering the "guh-natchi" at a nice restaurant and the waiter looks at him funny.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

something that looked like a gigantic crawfish.

...some kind of large pastry?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

teen witch posted:

He got upset and said I couldn’t take a joke and that I’m not fun any more.

Classic

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

blackmet posted:

DEAR ABBY: I was deeply hurt after going to a barbecue at my oldest daughter’s home.

If not being served hotdogs at an asian person's barbecue is all it takes to be "deeply hurt," then this person has bigger problems at play that aren't going to be fixed by an advice column.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Help I’m too white for this BBQ please cater to my milquetoast palate

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

blackmet posted:

For something a bit less crotch oriented, from Dear Abby:

1) The food sounds lovely.

2) Abby had the sensible advice of asking to bring more traditional American stuff as sides.

Deeply DEEEEPLY HURT!

That aside, when I know that people are coming over and that they won't like a food, I will serve multiple things that will appeal to most people. I mean, the adults can suck it up but when I know kids are coming over, I try to make stuff that they will like. ESH

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

shaving your partner's crotch is a very intimate act and they are likely to be grateful :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

shaving your partner's crotch is a very intimate act and they are likely to be grateful :wink:

For me it's kinda like "I don't want to see how the sausage is made."