Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This one sounds kinda familiar for some reason, but seems like a followup...

quote:

r/relationships
•Posted byu/UnhappyMom3

My husband has whisked away the kids from me, what can I do?

My (F27) husband (M29) and kids (F5 & F3) are big fans of Frozen. I like it but I am not a fan the way they are. My husband is mostly a stay-at-home dad, doing some occasional side jobs. I work full time.

In late November, our daughters told my husband that they wished to be called Elsa and Anna and my husband complied. This happened while I was at work so I didn't see it occurring. Since then, they stopped responding to their real names and only respond to Elsa and Anna. I played along for a bit, but was getting fed up.

I asked my husband to stop but he is refusing to do so saying that it makes them happy and that they will outgrow it. And that "just cause I am a woman it does not give me veto rights on how kids are raised". I told him that he is being irresponsible, and living out his fantasy in having his daughters named Elsa and Anna. (He actually wanted to name our kids Elsa and Anna).

Of course, I take concern in having my kids named after movie characters. I don't mind engaging in play time, but a de facto name change is too much.

On Christmas Eve when my husband and I were wrapping presents, I told him that we can have presents from Elsa and Anna, but not to Elsa and Anna because those are not their names and they need to understand that. My husband said that if they want to be called Elsa and Anna in order to "honour" the characters we should respect their wishes, and that it will "most likely" die down. After we wrapped the packages and my husband went to bed, I changed the labels so that the presents were addressed to our kids' real names. However, when I woke up on Christmas day, I found out that my husband had woken up at some point when I was asleep and had changed the names back. I wanted to change the change the names again but the kids were already waking up and I didn't want to get caught.

Our daughters had immense excitement that Elsa and Anna would be sending them gifts and "knowing our new names". Not wanting to ruin Christmas for them, I humoured their name choices the rest of the day at Church and when visiting family. My parents were visibly displeased that our kids were going my Elsa and Anna, and it was clear that both of our extended families were negatively judging me (of course since my husband is Male he escapes judgement even though this was his fault) for having kids who are de facto named Elsa and Anna.

The rest of the Christmas break was spent with my husband and I arguing. I told him that I do not approve of a de facto name change and being fanatically obsessed with fictional characters to be want to named after them is unhealthy. My husband once again said that this is a phase, but that Elsa and Anna would be better names for the kids anyways and perhaps he should get them legally changed. Having had enough, I exiled him to the couch starting On Jan 1 2020. I also told him that I would stop financially supporting him. So like I'd continue paying house expenses, but he would need to pay for example his clothes. None of this worked and he continued calling them Elsa and Anna since "that is what they preferred".

When school started on Jan 6, my 5 year old told her teacher that she wished to be called Elsa. When my husband picked her up from school, the teacher asked him about this and he told the teacher that she does go by Elsa now and that is what we call her, and the teacher agreed to calling our 5-year old Elsa. I know this because my 5-year old showed it off, and my husband also confirmed it to me in a juvenile, braggart manner.

No longer willing to deal with the nonsense, I told my husband that he needs to leave the house next morning and can take our 3-year old with him but that I am keeping our 5-year old with me. My husband objected to separating our kids, to which I replied that he can live without them. The next morning, my husband said good-bye to the kids, told them that he needs to leave cause "Mommy is being a meanie" and that "Elsa" and "Anna" can choose weather or not they wanted to come with him "on an adventure". And just like that, my husband whisked my kids away from me and has taken them on a train / bus trip around the region. The kids skype me every night so I know that they are safe, but my husband and I are no longer talking, and the kids still only respond to Elsa and Anna. The 5-year old has also not been attending school since Jan 7, but she did tell me that she will start school again on Monday

My goal is reconciliation which just seems unlikely since my husband is acting crazy and refusing to compromise. I am in the process of filing a separation decree, where hopefully my husband and I can get mediation and work it out. Right now though, I want my kids back.

TL;DR: My kids wanted to be called Elsa and Anna. My husband overindulged them and now they only respond to those names. My husband always wanted the kids named Elsa and Anna. I do not want my kids named after cartoon characters. He and I fought. I kicked him out of the house. He took the kids with him. Hoping to file a separation for now but hope to reconcile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

How do I (23F) tell my boyfriend (25M) that I don't like jewelry? Do I tell him at all?
Please tell me every single reply is some variation of "have you tried telling him you don't like jewelry"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lucrece posted:

My (23M) girlfriend (25F) of 8 months birthday present to me was a tattoo of my name and face on her back.

Holy poo poo that woman thought she was about to play the ultimate power move that would tie this guy together to her forever and predictably to anybody who isn't a massive loving idiot it backfired horribly

:lol:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 22, 2020

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ok wait, how in the gently caress is he the rear end in a top hat here, his wife is being a complete dick about the whole name thing and "Aurora Borealis" is a really cute first + middle name combo.

Seriously, this:

quote:

During these arguments she made it very clear that she doesn’t trust or respect my judgment when it comes to picking a suitable name.

After weeks of getting nowhere and failing to come to an agreement, my wife drew up a compromise. In this compromise, she is allowed to name our daughter whatever she deems fit, while I get the same rights in deciding her middle name. After all, “the middle name isn’t that important anyways”, she added.

This lady acts pretty contemptuous of her husband. She belittles his suggestion at a grandmother's name and then gets very angry at his clever choice for a middle name that matches the first name she chose

She is 100% The rear end in a top hat here.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tomfoolery posted:

They are both assholes for bringing a child into a toxic marriage.

Not gonna argue with that

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Gender reveal parties seem like some sort of subconscious backlash of people realizing that non-binary and trans people exist.

They are, and the kind of people who think that not only should you have a gender reveal party (you shouldn't) but that it should also be as bombastic as possible (it should not be) are exactly the kind of people that will end up killing grandma with an IED at a gender reveal party

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

gently caress Your Website posted:

I wrongly accused my husband of having an affair with our 19 year old neighbor. How can I fix this with both him and our neighbors?
This one is pretty amazing

Though the obvious answer is this: write letters to everyone involved humbly apologizing and include how you are working on improving yourself. Grovel.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

If they walked in there already recording, they didn't want to avoid it.
Yeah this sounds like a setup from someone who has gained a lot of weight quickly and feels terrible about it but also refuses to examine those feelings and instead looks for ways to use it to make herself feel better instead of addressing the root cause.

If you're a horrible lovely person this sounds like a great way to score internet points with all of your new community (in this case whatever size-acceptance community this woman and her friend are part of):

1. Use old photos on Tinder to catfish someone
2. Show up to the date with a friend to record things
3. Cause a confrontation--if the guy won't immediately admit to not being attracted because of size, harass him until he does

This is really just a modification of similar "gotcha!" tactics used by morons in conservative political media.

Honestly it's entirely possible this was just their first attempt that worked and that they've tried this previously

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting my daughter’s hair cut?

Our daughter is 5. My husband has always wanted her to have long, waist length hair. The problem is this type of hair is impractical for a young, active child. Plus every night it is a struggle to untangle it or if we wash it to also dry it. Every bath ended in many, many tears on her part. My husband is rarely home for bath time due to work, so I could not pass this task onto him.

Last week I took our daughter to visit my mother in another state. She witnessed one bath time meltdown and told me it was insane to not just cut my daughter’s hair to a more manageable length. I asked my daughter if she wanted shorter hair and she said yes. I took her the next day and she got a very cute shoulder length bob. Still not very short in my opinion.

In all fairness, I should have told my husband but I did not. I figured once he saw my daughter with her hair still fairly long but looking very cute he would come around. However, that night we Facetimed and as soon as he saw my daughter he ended the call and has refused to answer calls or texts. My daughter is devastated that her father won’t talk to her because of her haircut.

My mom is trying to tell me to stay with her and not even go back home but listening to her caused this problem in the first place. Was I TA for cutting my daughter’s hair without telling my husband?
Husband is either a psycho or idiot manchild or grooming his daughter for molestation

:sever: while you still can

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lucrece posted:

My(F22) boyfriend(M25) proposed during his sister's wedding and I accepted but I don't know if I want to marry him.

he finally admitted that he also did it because his sister had ruined his graduation by announcing her wedding

:lol: the truth comes out

:sever: break up with this awful idiot who is using a marriage proposal to get back at his sister in a super petty way

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

FormaldehydeSon posted:

not gonna lie that's some hilarious level of pettiness. Gonna vote both assholes because who announces an engagement at a graduation party? Seems pretty weird

Oh the sister is clearly also an rear end in a top hat for doing that, also:

quote:

People where cheering arround us and his sister just looked like she wanted to cry.
so is the rest of this idiot family, holy poo poo what a bunch of morons

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lucrece posted:

How do I (24M) convince my sister (31F) that I don't want to gently caress her fiance (~30M)

This is now my favorite post of the week

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cacator posted:

My parents never restricted what I could watch as a kid and I ended up posting on the Something Awful forums.

Lucky you, my parents were super restrictive and this backfired on them and now I can never get the horrors of the internet out of my head

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

HIJK posted:

I guess so. I'm still baffled as to why she would read the text message out loud tho, :lol:

Honestly at that point she was both completely irrational and reaching for anything she could lash out with--it may have been a (really dumb) attempt to make the boyfriend jealous? Honestly no idea but panic + irrationality = bafflingly stupid in the moment decisions

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This one was far more interesting than I thought it'd be from the title, and shows a lot of emotional maturity for a 15-year-old:

[15/f] My dad [42/m] has finally found a chance at romantic happiness and I'm uncomfortable

quote:

Hi! So, I made a reddit account because I've been a bit nervous to before but I really need some advice for this. Sorry for awful formatting, I'm on mobile.

Anyway, so earlier in this month of January (I think) my dad was talking to me seriously about these spam emails he gets from Russian Women. You know how it is: they have fallen in love with his dating app profile (he has none). He relayed to me that he told these women he's a single father of two kids (my younger brother aged 13) and stuff (something I told him he was stupid for doing, but whatever) so that when they revealed they wanted money to fly over and see him (an obvious scam) in the response email, he would say: "you're trying to scam a single father you big, fat degenerate" or something.

However, in this conversation he told me that there was this different woman. A Russian Lady by the name of Sonia (fake name, but her actual one seems like a fairly common Russian name). She sent him an email and when he talked to her, she actually replied to the things he was saying. They've been having conversations for a few months now and they've chatted a lot. She said that she got his email from a co-worker (side note: WHOMST?) and that's how she contacted him, and that she already knew he was a father of two kids, though I don't know if she knew our genders before he told her, that isn't really important though. Basically, the gist of it is that my dad enjoys talking to her and as a 42 year old man, it's very difficult to find a 30-something year old woman that's remotely interested in you in some way. The romantic market is not exactly a forgiving one (I wouldn't know as I am still a young grasshopper. But one can not avoid the incels forever).

He asked for my advice. And I was like: "mate idk you probably shouldn't be talking to her, that's giving me mega creep vibes" The day after, I talked to my friends about it, wanting advice to give him and they were like: "might be a creep, but he's an adult so if he's likes talking to her, let him." So I told him that.

Also, she doesn't have any social media. No Facebook, Instagram or anything as far as I'm aware. However, my dad did ask for a (appropriate) photo of her holding a piece of paper with his name on it. She did. But his name was not hand written, it was written in print on it.

That brings us to today, when I walk home after having a poo poo day at school, toss me shoes down feeling like a shoe (soggy, mud-covered and inadequate- should probably note that this is a joke and I'm not trying to get sympathy) and walk in on my brother talking to my dad. Obviously confused at why my brother sounds frustrated, I ask what's up. And dad goes on to talk about Sonia. She wants to come over and visit. But she lives in Russia... so if she wants to she'll have to stay in the house with us. She hasn't asked for money or anything, just that she wants to come over and visit. My dad asked:

"Yo, prepubescent child. How do you feel about that?"

And, obviously, I was not all for it. In fact, I feel highly uncomfortable by the whole situation. Don't know who she is, don't care to know, don't wanna know, don't wanna find out. So, I say: "Sorry, dad, but, like... no, don't give her our address or something. I don't know who she is and, if I'm honest, I don't want to know..."

Dad was upset by this, understandably. And he tried to be understanding in his response, too. He said that my brother reacted the same way. That he understands that we're uneasy about some random stranger hanging out in our home but that me and my brother aren't the only people in said home and this might be his only chance to find love.

He said: "being your dad has always been my top priority--and it always will be..." and went onto day something along the lines of that this is a chance he may never get again. He wants to take it.

I don't blame him. I know that if I was an incredibly lonely, 42 year old dude I'd be sad that I don't have a partner and that I'm not really attractive or young anymore so nobody's going to want to be my partner. I'm not trying to roast him, just tell it how it is. I love my dad deeply. He was the one who raised me. I don't want to go into the past of my family, but he's the only parent I can really turn to. And he's the one who's given me advice, supported me and helped me not be a spoiled brat like I was when I was younger.

I want him to be happy. I feel like I owe it to him. He's my dad, I don't want to see him sad and lonley and having passed up an opportunity to be in a happy, healthy relationship.

But I don't know. Something about this situation creeps the poo poo out of me. Who the hell did she get his email from? My dad doesn't have many friends. The only person I can think of is me mam or like a friend of hers. And let's just say that they hate him. A lot. Not gonna say much about that situation but my mom likes to lie a lot about their past relationship to seem like a victim. How did she know he had two kids? Who the hell is she? Does she really want to be with my dad? Why?

I don't know how to feel. But I do know that I'm scared and uncomfortable, but I also feel like I should be happy for him. I want to be happy for him, but I don't know.

So, can someone give me a bit of advice, please? Me and my brother definitely need some help figuring out what to do and stuff.

I'll admit, this post obviously has a bit of a bias. I'm in a very emotional state. Exams are coming up, my hormones are everywhere, I feel abandoned by my friends right now, so my reaction to the situation has provably been affected by that (not trying to garner sympathy or anything). I'm sorry if this seems like me and my brother are being over dramatic. But I dunno how else to react. Please tell me your honest thoughts and give any advice you can. Me and my brother would really appreciate it.

TL;DR: My dad (a lonley guy with no opportunities for romance) has been emailing a Russian woman for a couple of months and she wants to come over to our house and visit us (she is not a scammer- probably). Me and my brother [13/m] don't know who she is and we're uncomfortable with the situation.

Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks for reading. Sorry for any spelling errors and kinda taking a non-serious tone towards the beginning. Just trying to make a funny haha out of this.

Yes it's obviously a scam and all the comments are appropriately calling it out and giving details about what the likely next steps of the scam are.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 28, 2020

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This one is pretty amazing. The level of doormattery/passivity going on is mind-boggling, the brother and the OP and the parents (there is no mention at all of their reactions to this, which I am taking to mean no reaction)

My (31M) brother's (31M) wife (27F) is a spoiled sociopathic terror who does nothing but cheats on him, verbally abuses him and gives my family headaches, and I don't know how to deal with her anymore, or my own (twin) brother

quote:

My (twin) brother met his wife a few years ago. She comes from an extremely wealthy family in China. Her family was extremely kind too. My family isn't super rich, but we haven't wanted for much. The two of them met in another country while my brother was deployed there, and dated for quite a while. Everything was perfect for them. My brother talked about how much he loves her, how amazing she is. She would take our family out to dinner and try to fight to pay the bill. With this the family was basically telling him, "You need to lock that one down! She seems to be a great person and love you!"

Well they moved from the country they met to America after getting married. Her parents, who were her primary providers in every way, shape and form, essentially cut her off (not because they don't agree with the marriage, but it's just their view that she's now an adult and shouldn't be taken care of anymore by them). So she started having to make ends meet in America after having never worked a day in her life. This is where things have started spiraling. She usually buys designer clothes and bags, jewelry, shoes, etc.. This lifestyle is unsustainable for most people in the world. She has a lot of resentment towards my brother because of his inability to provide these things. She also has a strict belief in "what's his is mine and what's mine is mine". She works full time, doesn't pay anything towards rent, groceries, or utilities.

Things took a turn for the worst around a year ago. She actually blocked my brother from all of her social media, but told him she "deleted the accounts". She started acting really sketchy. She would disappear for weeks at a time, not respond to anything, and when he was inquiring about where she was when she got back she'd go crazy and tell him it's none of his business.. She was pretty stupid, and didn't block out everyone from social media who was associated with my brother. My best friend actually saw a picture that she herself posted on instagram of her, legs wrapped around another man, kissing him passionately, in what looked like some nice "date attire". My best friend just forwarded the information along. It made it to my brother. He went through her phone and found out that she was having 5 simultaneous full-blown affairs. She was telling each and every guy that she was in a visa marriage, and waiting for her two year check-in with the officer to renew her status for another 8 years, and she was already saying "I love you" to each and every one of the guys. This completely blew my mind as one relationship is hard enough to manage. I assumed this was a cut-and-dry divorce, but my brother unfortunately has bipolar disorder, and chronic depression, and it's really hard for him to commit to something like divorce.

So here's where it gets even more complicated. My brother will call me and tell me how she is throwing stuff around the apartment, calling him names, attacking him verbally and physically (where he has marks to show).. at the same time she will be texting my father, mother and I in a group text essentially "telling" on my brother. An example would be one time where my brother was on the phone with my father telling him how he had to leave the house because she was attacking him, and he couldn't defend himself without risking hurting her and getting arrested. This was a long drawn-out 45 minute call. While that was going on, she texted us all "HELP!!!! Ian (not his name, we will call him that though) is slamming doors and yelled at me! I can't take this anymore I don't know what to do!!!!"

So she constantly reaches out to us to complain about him. She's told us things like that he won't have sex with her (which is because she's cheated so much), that he won't clean up the apartment, etc..

Anyways, I guess what I'm asking is how can I deal with something like this? It's starting to interfere with my life on a weekly basis. My brother won't do anything about his marriage, his wife won't stop messaging me, and if I block her things blow up even more. I can't block my brother but I've told him multiple times that I'm tired of hearing about his problems with her, if he's never going to fix them. Do I offer him to stay with me for a while to get his life together and transition? I get the idea that maybe he feels like he's stuck in life, and a divorce would prevent him from affording his apartment, etc..

TLDR: My SIL is horrible, my brother is chronically depressed and bipolar. He won't end things and neither of them will ever stop complaining about each other. I want to figure out how I can remove myself from this situation, or help him out of it?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

gently caress Your Website posted:

Did we already repost the one where a woman followed all the advice her college friends gave her about withholding sex, keeping her last name, etc., and then got mad because she ended up divorced and none of her friends actually followed their own advice?

Oh that one was amazing, all her lovely friends were using her as a testbed for bad ideas and she was stupid enough to go along with it

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I can't decide if I'm bored of these or aghast at how often they come up, or at how pathetically desperate these women are to not be single that they will put up with this disgustingness.

My boyfriend has bad hygiene

quote:

My boyfriend has horrible hygiene

My (20F) boyfriend (19M) hardly ever showers and it really bothers me. My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost 4 years and when we were in high school this was never a problem. He would come over my house and he would smell fine then. I went to community college last year and then we came to university together this year so this is our first year completely on our own. Ever since he got here he has barely been showering. His dorm has a community restroom and mine has a personal bathroom. He told me he doesn’t use the community restroom because it’s dirty and grossed him out, so I told him he could use my shower anytime, but he doesn’t. He only showers on weekends when he spends the night in my room. On weekdays sometimes he’ll come over to watch to and sit on my bed and even after he leaves the smell still lingers it’s so bad to the point it makes me nauseous. I’ve brought it up to him before and he is really sensitive about it and gets sad asking how he stinks and I always feel bad and tell him he just needs to shower. After the first time I told him that he texted me later and asked was I serious about him smelling bad and I said no because I felt bad. Since then I’ve brought it up again and he still gets sad and doesn’t do anything to fix it he just waits until the weekend to shower. I also brought it up today and he just left my room and he just said he’ll be back later because he has tutoring. Also I didn’t mention it, but today his breath stunk as well. I don’t know what to do about this. I really prioritize cleanliness and I like my room and myself to smell good of course. After he left I sprayed a bunch of febreeze and wiped off the chair he sat on with Lysol wipes. This is such a problem for me. It’s to the point where I barely have sex with him anymore unless it’s the weekend because that’s when he showers. And he’s developed body acne on his back now and I’d feel so mean if I brought that up. He also told me he doesn’t wash his face because he doesn’t need to but he literally has acne. I suggested accutane, which I took, but he said it’ll just go away on its own, but I’m sure it won’t if he doesn’t even have a skincare routine. The back acne looks really bad. What do I do? I don’t want to break up with him is there anyway to hint that he smells bad so I don’t hurt his feelings?

TLDR: my boyfriend has really bad hygiene and for the most part only showers once a week. What do I do?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Keep in mind that changing would also require him to admit to himself that his hygiene has been bad and that he needs to change his habits, and for many people that self-admission is much more difficult than the act of taking a loving shower.

There is an entire classification of people's problems that I define as "solvable problems that the person will do anything to avoid solving" and I have left behind multiple close friendships (and a short dating relationship) because I've learned that those people will self-destruct their own friendships and relationships to avoid addressing their readily-solvable problem.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 29, 2020

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Is I had a previous partner who liked roleplay but it was your typical sexy teacher, not me getting hosed by Chewbacca too long for a thread title?

Because come on.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Colonel J posted:

Looking at all these wedding planning / dress stories... Is it that marriage makes people insane, or is it that insane people tend to get married?

Insane people put far far too much stock into the fantasies they've been told and then imagined all their lives about important life events and instead of being able to enjoy these life events try to control them to the point where they can't enjoy them and usually just ruin them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah there is some really severe insecurity and/or homophobia going on with the sister that is blowing everything way, way, way out of proportion and everyone except her can see this

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Lol that’s awesome.

Good for them for setting a boundary and keeping it set. Hopefully that teaches the parents a good lesson lol.

It's unfortunate that almost any person who refuses to listen to that many "I don't want it" and does it anyway is not going to learn any lesson at all from this, or at least not the correct lesson

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

what the gently caress, can you guess as to why because its completely baffling to me.
To a narcissistic parent, the child is not an individual who matters. They are an extension of the parent and the only purposes they serve are to make the parent feel better, look good to others, or to take care of the parent when they cannot take care of themselves.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ghost emoji posted:

Even if it's the ex's fault, the dad should still cancel the vacation to take his daughter home. It's technically not fair that he and the other kids have to miss a vacation that he spent a ton of money on. But being there for your teenage kid seems like it would outweigh that.

I think that's what escalates/complicates a lot of conflicts people turn to /r/relationships for - just because it wasn't your fault, that doesn't mean you're free from the consequences. Sure, it's not fair that he should have to suffer for someone else's mistake, but his daughter's still gonna be suffering either way.
Nah it wouldn't be just him suffering though, his wife and other two kids would also be getting punished. It'd be handing the ex-wife an enormous victory and was probably what she was hoping would happen the entire time.

Honestly there's no good answer here except continuing to try to calmly get through to the teenage daughter and explain what happened.

Unless she's a total selfish brat or has been totally brainwashed by her mother it shouldn't be too hard for her to put together what happened here and even if she's currently angry at her dad that should hopefully change.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

pretty sure that caring more about winning vs your ex partner instead of caring about your children is what makes you a bad parent actually

but yep keep blaming the kid for not robot-logicing her way to forgiving her father for literally abandoning her at the airport
Nobody is blaming the kid, and this isn't about "winning" against an ex-partner for anybody except that ex-partner. But this is making a decision to not allow your younger, disabled children and your wife have their vacation taken away from them by that ex-partner, even if that means the older daughter gets screwed by that choice.

This is pretty clearly exactly what the ex-partner planned so that she would "win" regardless of the choice--either she ruins the family vacation and they're out whatever money they can't get refunded (which, at the point they found out, would likely have been "most" of it) or she uses the teenager as a weapon so she can get more people in the extended family on her "side"

Also, the teenager is 15. 15 is old enough to be responsible for checking that your own drat passport isn't about to expire. Honestly the only place the dad really hosed up was not mentioning to the teenager in the weeks beforehand to "double check that her passport has at least another year on it". Had he done that and she hadn't checked it would be on her. (note this is not the same as expecting the teenager to know that without telling them)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 31, 2020

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lucrece posted:

AITA for only giving my younger daughter her older sister's used clothes?
That is either a stunning lack of self-awareness or she doesn't want to just straight-up tell reddit that she likes her older daughter more because she looks like her.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Sweet 16 is the whitest whitey white people poo poo.
While I agree with you on this, I am not sure how exactly sweet 16 is particularly different from a quinceanera

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for laughing at my GF's tattoo?
I know I'm a jerk, but hear me out.

I'm not against tattoos, but if they are done, I do think they need to be professional.

My GF found an tattoo parlour that only charges $50 an hour, which I found extremely shady. I told her that it was shady, but she still went through.

She tried to get a tattoo of that Latin quote. "Veni Vidi Vici". But, it didn't come up to her standards. Instead of cursive it was in a scraggly handwriting, and he misspelled Veni.

She called me as soon as she realized the disaster. I didn't believe her, and when she showed me, my first response was to laugh. I didn't say "I told you so", but this is definitely not my problem. I warned her.

She then cried when I refused to help. But, what can I do? We're broke college students.

So, AITA?
GF is an idiot for going to a shady tattoo parlor

GF is also an idiot for getting that quote tattooed on her even if she wasn't going to a shady parlor

and :lol: at asking him to help. Help how? What's he gonna do?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I refuse to turn my celebratory dinner into a mother's day dinner?

:words:
Nowhere in here does she mention bringing this up to her husband. Which either means she knows he's a complete doormat that can never say no to his overbearing mother, or simply means he doesn't really give a poo poo about how his wife feels about Mother's Day. (he clearly knows how she feels given their arrangement on Mother's Day other years)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

pentyne posted:

It'll be like that one post with the girl who's bf friend kept insisting she stop being alone with creepy guy A, she decided to yell at him for controlling her and while hanging out with A he assaults her then when she cries to the bf he stone cold does not care and cuts her off since he warned her repeatedly and she didnt listen.
Don't undersell this one, dude wasn't just stone cold out of nowhere.

Also for sure a top-10 story in here, that one was wild. Can someone repost it if they can find it?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

We’re not posting stories about assault in here.

I do not think there was any assault in that story, the other poster is mis-remembering. There was propositioning by the boss.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

I remember this one from last thread, didn't it have an update?

Really remarkable how dense some of these people can be

I'm sure I remember there being an update, I thought she went ballistic on him later or something and they broke up

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Everyone was totally sympathetic to him, too, until the whole "D-cups" bit.
Ah ha ha ha I remember that

that argument went on for pages

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
uhhhhh that sounds like suicide

quote:

He didn’t pick up my phone until I called him for a 50th time. We both cried on the phone and he told me he was sorry and he loves me, but he doesn’t want me to suffer. He said he knows I can do better. I told him to please come back and he said he can’t.

He’s not picking up the phone now. He still has his stuff here.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Hire a fourth party to write and direct the action.

r/relationships: a sex referee for my threesome

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

realbez posted:

I think your spouse should be your best friend and if they aren’t, well... what’s the point?
I agree, though it is entirely possible to have multiple best friends.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Clocks posted:

Unfortunately I've been in situations where my partner ended up confiding and being more emotionally open with other people, which tanked our own relationship. There's nothing wrong with having multiple best friends but when your emotional intimacy with them comes at the cost of doing stuff with your partner, you need to reprioritize.

Friends tend to be easier to have. You don't live with them, you don't get into arguments over someone not cleaning something properly or telling you you should pick up some slack or put the kids to bed etc, you don't necessarily see them at their worst moments. So yeah, it's easier to brush off the problems closer to home. I feel for that girl — her problem is that her husband is ignoring her in favor of other stuff. They need to go to counseling again or even possibly split up because the marriage doesn't seem to be working.
That's all true, but if you're cultivating healthy friendships with appropriate boundaries, having best friends on the same level as your partner can provide important support during difficult times, keep you accountable so you never even start going down the road of cheating and point out obvious issues before you feel the need to post to Reddit about them. :v:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

It rules that yikeswife's husband had her back and assisted in the brutal own on his lovely brother.

And his whole family

NTA, yikeswife rules, husband good, family-in-law good, BIL dumb as hell

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

emotional connection is whatever but seriously your marriage will be hosed if you and them can't be a two-person cool kids club sneering at the dorkwads and phonies around u
This ^^^^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
wait, what?!

:psyduck: