Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's been hundreds of videos uploaded to Youtube in recent weeks with titles like "Coronavirus prank (goes wrong) (got punched in face)"

One Canadian guy tried to film a 'Roni prank on an international flight and they had to turn the plane around and return to Canada where the cops were waiting to arrest him. The other flights that plane had been scheduled to make also had to be cancelled.
There's been several other people arrested for COVID-19 pranks as well.

that Cory Trevor looking disphit was trying to jumpstart his rap career https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/02/03/coronavirus-plane-prank/

also it's loving disheartening that searching "covid plane prank" gives you multiple different events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Best friend/ex husband is a hero.

"You have thirty minutes to pack your things, and if you try to talk to her for any reason that becomes zero."

for real, that dude is a goddamned bro

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Bonster posted:

Thread seems a bit slow.

AITA for ruining the rest of my family’s lives?

Death and money brings out the worst in people. When my grandmother died, my great-aunts ransacked the house and took a bunch of her jewelry, even though it was supposed to go to my mother and aunt. Grandma was only 54 - I think my grandfather was in too much shock to protest. He got some pieces back, but my great-aunts were masterful manipulators, and kept a chunk. My great-aunt Ann got the nickname "Avaricious Annie" after that.

Dude's friends are assholes or don't fully understand the situation. Thieves are scum. People who steal from family are drastically worse.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Who the gently caress puts their kid in karate anymore. BJJ is way better, particularly for kids. Beat the piss out of someone while not leaving any marks so there's deniability unless the teachers show up while jr is choking the kid.

also content:

My (25F) husband (26M) broke our dogs leg, I'm worried for the child I'm currently carrying.

Hello all, throw away for obvious reasons.

So, I'm a big pet lover. We have several dogs, reptiles, frogs and small animals.

I work in the pet care industry and have recently lost my job due to the shutdown.

That being the case, I've been home a lot more often, and I noticed the animals aren't attached the him like me. I thought nothing of it, as I care for them mainly and had most of them before we got together.

Our pets have their own room, and yesterday I went to let out dogs out and our 5lb Chihuahua mix was limping and putting no weight on his leg. My husband jokingly said a few minutes before I checked on him, "I got Rufus to stop scratching the door."

I thought nothing of it until my poor dog was unable to move.

I took him to the vet and they did x-rays and let me know Rufus's hip was broken. They said being so small it could be because he jumped off the furniture and hurt himself, as he's rather old as well.

My husband later admitted that he lost his temper, picked Rufus up the the scruff, and beat him.

He feels incredibly guilty and wants nothing to do with any of the pets now.

I found out yesterday I'm pregnant, and I'm worried he may loose his temper with a newborn much worse then Rufus's constant scratching.

What do I do? I love this man and we've been married half a decade now.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA for Embarrasing the neighbors for treaapassing in our backyard?

Not only should this person put up visible cameras and a sign they should electrify their fence and get it to the maximum height.

These donkeys would 100% sue if one of them got hurt loving around while trespassing.

A loving stepladder are you loving insane.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Barudak posted:

Gaylord is either gonna become a wreck from the bullying or look like commando era Arnold by the fifth grade and daring people to make fun of his name.

Someone play this genius A Boy Named Sue and ask him to focus on the parts where Sue talks about what he's intending to do when he finds his father for having named him that.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Guilty posted:

I feel like we've had a spate of lovely homophobic grandparents recently, so let's change it up and post some Grandmas who own.

Oh my god just put it right into my jugular.

gently caress it up, Grandma.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

My most wild Yelling Neighbor moment was a drunk marine who was yelling on the phone to his grandmother of all people. He wasn't yelling at her, but he very angry that she was going to jail. Apparently granny had embezzled something like $100,000 from a medical scholarship fund, and while the trial was still technically pending/ongoing, the case against her was iron solid. He ranted about what an injustice it was that she was going to go to prison for this (she spent some of the money helping out family, so she was good!) and proposed increasingly wild ways of saving her from this fate. These escalated from simply absconding with her to Mexico, to murdering her prosecutor, to conducting a future armed raid on the jail to free her. She had to talk to him down from each of these plans and he was only reluctantly convinced not to intervene. He then moved on to the topic of the pending revolution in America that he knew was inevitable. This was somewhere circa 2012 - 2014, so the purpose of this supposed people's revolution was to overthrow the tyrannical Obama administration.

ten to one that guy has a blue lives matter bumper sticker but casually suggests armed action against the state when it suits him.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Motronic posted:

While there are SO many other issues here, I'd just like to ask if side zip boots aren't a thing anymore? I've been out of fire/ems for a while, but the uniform store had more side zip boots than regular ones. The look just like normal boots with laces, but you ties them up once so they fit you, and then you unzip the thing (to the inside of each foot) and can get in and out. Everyone I worked with had at least one pair of these which were always used at the "on call" (i.e. I'm probably sleeping) boots that you put next to your bed.

Some people who absolutely had to have some kind of boots that didn't come this way found zippers you can lace in to where you normally lace your boots that seems to do about the same thing.

What are the demands of an EMS' job that require special footwear.

Like why can't you wear green patch Blundstones or something, I wore those for construction for a dog's age and they're great. Tying laces is a hassle, plus they break in the middle of the day and you got a loose shoe all afternoon walking around.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

at the amusement park i worked at for one summer there was a King Hobo, kind of this Emperor Norton figure who had figured out every possible way to sneak into the park. he would inevitably get himself dressed up in a hodge podge of character costumes and lead impromptu marches down the main food area waving around a mop he found as though it were a baton.

the park owners weren't amused and it apparently continued for a long time after I left, because I'd drive by maybe once a year and the fences around the grounds kept getting taller and gnarlier. I think it closed after the razor wire went up. Either way it's a landfill now. (This is the same park where the owners invested their share of the sale price into a floridian swinger's island which was reduced to a sandbar by a hurricane.)

this is magnificent

also why hasn't there been an Emperor Norton movie yet

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I pour my grease/fat into an old soda bottle (1L with a funnel fits snugly into the garbage disposal to manage everything with only two hands) and when it fills up throw it out and buy another soda.

I use an empty container from costco's peanut butter pretzels which gives my fat rear end an excuse to buy them. Great for emptying a deep fryer into as well, holds a shitload of liquid, and there's a huge open top with a screw lid.

pouring fat down the drain like textbook tragedy of the commons to me, particularly if you live in an apartment building.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Some rich rear end in a top hat just made the news for having a kid with his wife who is 44 and he is 89.

Bernie Ecclestone is less "some rich rear end in a top hat" than "the rich rear end in a top hat", like the prototype from which all other rich assholes are derived.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

excellent story about a grand hound.

there is no sufficient punishment for someone who beats a dog

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Propaniac posted:

My (24M) girlfriend (23F) is going on a vacation out of state with 2 friends & a random older man she knows absolutely nothing about

is this viral marketing for a remake of Taken that's been kept quiet or what

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA For Firing an employee after her dad died?

if the employee had more than a couple years' of service I'd take this file on contingency just to be the one who gets to write the demand letter.

some employers/managers are such utter dickheads. it's baffling.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Solus M.D. posted:

Stones, nukes, etc.

AITA for calling out my aunt for criticizing me and my brother for 'sharing a boyfriend' when she did the same?

I would give a not insubstantial amount of cash for footage of the discussion between the narrator and Ian about Ian's new beau. That must have been hysterical for all parties. The average romantic comedy writer would give his/her eyeteeth to script something that good.

olylifter fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 23, 2020

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Invisible Clergy posted:

Cool. I really enjoy posting in this thread, you know. Where else can you have an exchange like that on the internet?

This guy's definitely winding up on the news for going full on family annihilator when one of his kids shows him a funny video at 8:03pm.

AITA if I kept quiet about my dad secretly smoking?

Your mom knows and knows she is powerless to change it. Maybe he just has one now and again when he's had a difficult day. There is very little to be gained here if the goal is not to chuck a grenade at your parents.

I smoked for about ten years, in my teens and into my early twenties. My parents let me know they didn't approve of me smoking so I tried to hide it from them when I lived there. My girlfriend saw my mom smoking a few times in my late teens, and my dad caught her once. She'd smoked for years and allegedly quit but I think she just cut back a poo poo ton and smoked one or two on the way to work.

So me and my mom were both hiding our smoking from each other and my dad. Like some prisoner's dilemma type poo poo.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Piell posted:

AITA For refusing to cook meals for my husband's co-workers anymore?

help my gently caress I wanna slap the taste out of this guy's mouth. You got a spouse who's not only OK with making chow for you but is good at it and that wasn't enough?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Olanphonia posted:

Agreed. Obviously very stupid to talk poo poo about your coworkers boyfriend, like drat. Still, snitches and all that.

i've been an extremely jr lawyer at a fairly large firm, you need to be tight as piss with your fellow associates, you're all supporting each other.

there's going to be a team of associates at that firm and one individual who's not part of it, who's left to twist in the wind for everything. need someone to proofread? poo poo, sorry, i'm absolutely swamped. help on drafting a pleading? ah man, just got an injunction on my desk. why didn't we invite you to sophie's for dinner this weekend? oh man, sorry, we figured you'd be busy with your boyfriend.

what an idiot. i'm surprised the firm's policies allow a partner to date what is effectively an infant.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Reap, sow, etc.

AITA for refusing to help my dad with a kidney transplant after he’s spent years denying he’s my father?

"I've decided it's easier to hate this kid I've raised as my own rather than take a test to determine if he's mine or not. What do you mean you won't find out if you can give me part of your liver?? It's a simple test!!!!"

:sever: this man and your brothers.

is there a Lost reboot planned that I'm not aware of that they're viral marketing for already

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for yelling at our sitter?

if I ever found myself questioning my decision to not have kids (like I don't but if), stuff like this would give be solace that i'd made the correct choice

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

dude this is so goddamned brilliant and I have no idea how I've lived as long as I have without seeing it. thank you for posting it.

this guy loving owns so hard his piss probably cures leprosy or something

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Get hosed you horrendous garbage human, your child deserves so much loving better

thank gently caress the kid's got that in spades in his dad. I hope his lawyer finds that post and can include it in the materials for the custody hearing

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

God I miss my local burrito place. But they took a VERY long time to shut down indoor dining and I didn't see anyone wearing masks. Pretty much killed my faith in their sanitation standards during, you know, a pandemic.

But my stomach still rumbles remembering them wide-as-your-fist greasy burritos... :negative:

Try to guess what the buried lede is in this r/legaladvice post!

Fired By Job After Saying I'm Going To HR

Guys I was fired for going to HR. Can I sue the company for damages or get unemployment? Just a little extra info: I did pull a knife on my boss

also in the comments he mentions that he was charged with some hyper specific offence that another LA poster recognized as an offence under the UCMJ. dude's like "yeah I'm not in the military, but this was on a military base"

I'm not convinced it's not some prof of a 1L crim class workshopping an exam question

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Capilarean posted:

There has to be something else to the story,right? Nobody just takes a loan, especially a loan with this loanshark style interest just because they felt like having some money.
Either the guy is hiding a second life or he's doing the "take a loan to pay a loan" death spiral.

if someone's doing something irrational they're either in love or trying to dodge taxes.

similarly, if someone has unexplained monetary needs that they're trying to deal with through desperate tactics like a 49% interest loan they're either on drugs or gambling.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Aramoro posted:

We had a restaurant here called the Kismot that used to make the Kismot Killer, they got told to tone it down by the local MP and Ambulance Service.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/best-in-edinburgh/restaurants-bars/remembering-edinburghs-great-curry-catastrophe-17997552

the picture of the guy with the "i'm a winner" certificate and the puddle of vomit in front of him speaks volumes. About what i have no idea

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Looks like computer buyer manchild took it down, I can't even find it. He had a spark of introspection. He considered he might be an rear end in a top hat, without anyone yelling at him. I wonder if he'll see people calling him an rear end in a top hat and use that as an impetus to change?

We had one guy like that right? He wasn't a manchild per se but he fit into some other toxic stereotype, and found out his GF was planning to leave but was scared, and he like suddenly realized he sucked and tried to help her. I think? I'm probably remembering the details wrong.

I don't get what it is about expensive as hell gaming computers that makes people act irresponsibly. Like that goon who did the thread about CPS taking his kids and it rapidly came out that he lived in a hoarder's paradise of a trailer and had recently priced out/bought a 3k computer, while his trailer cost like 1200 bucks and had holes in it.

He turned his poo poo around, granted. But that initial decision to buy that computer was batshit to me.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

betaraywil posted:

Good odds if he called the school and exained he could get a fair hearing. That's probably not the first time something like that happened. Window's rapidly closing though.

A guy successfully sued his ex for pulling the same stunt. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/15/clarinet-player-eric-abramovitz-girlfriend-fake-rejection-letter

A theoretical victory as there's no way he's seeing dollar one of that scratch

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A blog post while we're all pining for Reddit. The Guide to the Worst Flight is definitely worth a click.

https://twitter.com/VeryBadLlama/status/1374838160140681224

fully worth a click

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

don longjohns posted:

If this is real, ew. My partner can put down a whole med pizza by himself, too, but he would never not share. I do not think I have ever, or he has ever, gotten food alone and not saved a little something, like even just a mint or chocolate from the restaurant candy bowl. It is fun to share, and it feels good to make other people feel considered and loved.

What a loving prick.

food is always better shared. Plus, like, order a next when the first one gets there and you've got a second to look forward to.

This woman got off work early to be with her fella for a change on a Saturday night and instead of him going "oh poo poo you're home, wicked, let me order more chow" he turns into a toddler not wanting to share and then blames her for it. What a complete berk.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for watching my neighbor's car get damaged and doing nothing to stop it?

i wish every person who ever screamed at me or turned their dogs loose when I was working as a surveyor suffered a similar fate. it's a lovely enough job without people loving with you as though it's your fault that their stupid fence is in the wrong place

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Back in the 60s or 70s my dad was a surveyor in central/eastern Oregon for power lines and the like. Sometimes it was working his way through wilderness with nobody around for miles, other times you'd get someone VERY protective of their land who figured anyone poking around was up to no good. Never heard any details, he just made an offhand comment about that once and it stuck.

It's an interesting job, when folks aren't trying to hurt you.

I did it for 15 years. It has its moments. Mostly your time is spent looking for a place to piss.

One time we were surveying a house in a really tony hood and one of the guys on my crew, this Albanian guy named Fred, who had been in Canada for about a year and was an absolute loving beauty, literally just started pissing on a fence, on the street, in broad daylight.

Some older woman walked past and made a comment that she could call the police on my buddy Fred. I mentioned to Fred that we needed to be somewhat discreet in where we chose to fertilize and he said "but in Big Daddy they do it". As apparently, in Albania, they take their societal cues from Sandler movies. After that, Fred could do no wrong as far as I was concerned.

olylifter fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 18, 2021

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Why, that's a terrible thing. I don't know how many times I've told those boys, "never call chicks 'broads'."

this is a top notch reference and now I'm gonna have to watch UHF this weekend as a result

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for erupting in anger over food?

this is like that Location is Everything episode of Documentary Now!, where the dude is telling a story and it keeps cutting to the people he's telling the story about and the actual version of events

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

In a similar vein
AITA for refusing to get rid of my train collection in my own apartment

Some of the comments being "uh, you know she'll eventually just throw them out when you're gone right?"

Lady, the trains were here before you and they'll be here after you as well.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

"You need to "act appropriately" in your own home, because my babies are here!"

this is like, magnitudes beyond idiom levels of piss poor gratitude here. Jamming the hand that feeds you into the gift horse's mouth or something.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

The most terrifying part is that she spent a year waging a massive harassment and disinformation campaign, was forced to face up to everything in court, almost went to jail, AND STILL INSISTS EVERYTHING SHE SAID WAS TRUE

I wouldn't ever feel safe sleeping in the same house as someone like that.

It's effectively what Ben Affleck's character goes through at the end of Gone Girl. Like imagine finding out your spouse of a decade or how long is actually a sociopath who's just been biding their time.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

This is r/legaladvice but I think it woulda worked in r/relationships.

Update: neighbor bangs on wall when our baby cries and nothing can be done about it?

Short version: In October 2020, my husband and I were renting in a duplex where my FIL owned the half we lived in, and a separate family (adult daughter acting as caregiver to elderly mother) owned the other half. We brought our son home from the NICU in August, and towards the end of September the neighbor (40sF) started to pound on the shared wall if she could hear him cry. The pounding escalated over the next two months. The neighbor bought a megaphone to yell through the wall and threatened to “rip us apart”, she called us child predators, and she’d yell obscenities and threats until 3 or 4 in the morning.

The police were called multiple times, nothing could be done about it. One officer told us “I’m going to kill you. See, it doesn’t mean anything if I don’t actually do it.” The elderly mother hadn’t been seen in several months, but requests for wellness checks were brushed off.

The general advice I got was that as renters, we couldn’t do anything. It was also suggested that this was reasonable behavior, since the crying baby was probably really annoying.

Since my first post, we moved in with my grandmother for our safety. The neighbor ended up busting a softball sized hole through the shared wall to scream at us, and occasionally just stare at us. The smell that came out of the hole was indescribably bad. Our security cameras recorded her coming to my son’s nursery window at around 2am almost daily, just staring and holding her cat.

It took until the end of January for the police to be able to enter her property. The elderly mother had been deceased since at least June, and the daughter had the corpse dressed in her Sunday best, rotting in a dead bolted bedroom. The news article said the mother died from natural causes. The daughter was taken to an inpatient psychiatric facility.

https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/nayl5z/update_neighbor_bangs_on_shared_duplex_wall_when/

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

This poo poo is like a loving r/relationships bingo card

My [28F] husband [29M] lied to me

We have been married for 3 years with 5 kids and thought we had a solid relationship.

4 months ago, my husband came to me and announced he had quit his job. He wanted to have a job that is a work from home job and would take a pay cut if needed. I was concerned but as I was making a lot of money from my job, I decided to take a chance.

During those 4 months, he delegated more and more of the housework to me while leaving every night to what he said was blowing off stress. I encouraged him to keep looking but he said he wanted to give up.

I decided to call his former employees to see of they can take him back. To my shock, they said he didn't quit but was fired for poor work performance and punching a supervisor in the face.

I confronted him about this and he initially denied. I pressed on until he finally gave in, admitting he didn't want to seem like a bad guy. He even hid the unemployment money (which we could have used) to go gamble.

I angrily told him to watch our kids while I spend a night at the hotel. I'm really torn on what to do. A divorce could bring added stress to our children but I don't know how I can trust my husband anymore. What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

thirteen motherfucking years of holidays being ruined by your insane mother in law. the girlfriend deserves a loving medal.

My Son’s Girlfriend Won’t Take the Hint That I Hate Her

Dear Prudence,

I hate my son’s girlfriend of 13 years. They are high school sweethearts who are now 30 and talking about buying property and eventually starting a family together. He currently lives at home and helps pay my mortgage, among other things. If he leaves, I will be forced to sell the house and adjust to a new lifestyle. I feel she will keep me away from my son when they move out. I have tried everything to split them apart and often make her feel unwelcome in my home and talk about her negatively to almost anyone who will listen. I even make her bring her own food when she stays here. Why can’t she just get the point that no one wants her here and move on!? What else can I do to get rid of her?

—Desperate Mom

Dear Desperate,

Is this real? I almost feel like this is the son’s girlfriend writing in the voice of her future mother-in-law to make a point about how terribly she’s being treated. Because how could someone type this out, read it over, and not realize they were the bad guy? But OK, “Mom,” I’ll play along.

I’m obviously not going to change your whole approach to life with this letter. I’m not going to tell you to totally alter the way you think about your relationship with your son. I won’t remind you that in the United States, in 2021, adults generally get to move out and have their own lives and aren’t expected to make parents their first priority. Because you don’t seem to care about your son’s happiness. And you don’t seem to care about how awful you’re being to this woman who has done nothing wrong. (If she had, I’m sure you would have mentioned it.)

But I can see that you love your son very much and want to have as much contact with him as possible, and I can offer a tip that might help you get there. To get what you want, you have to pretend to be a kind and sensible human. And I think we both know this is going to require some acting.

What will that look like? You invite the two of them over. Tell them you support their plan to buy a home and while it will be tough on you, you will adjust. Apologize for the way you’ve behaved and explain that while it was inspired by your obsessive love for your son, you now understand that it was beyond inappropriate and often cruel and want to make amends. Ask for a fresh start. For the love of God, offer that woman some food!

I know this won’t be easy for you, but it’s a means to an end: having a relationship with the person you love most in the world. The alternative is that he’s going to resent you and spend less and less time with you. Even if you manage to drive this woman away, there will be another one, and I have a feeling you’ll hate her too.

So the answer to “What can I do to get rid of her?” is “Nothing.” And the answer to the question you didn’t ask but should have—“What can I do to make sure my son doesn’t completely get rid of me?”—is “Pretend to be reasonable.” Fake it until you make it. You might discover that this is a better way to live.