Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

From way back, but, can someone tell me what the "In Europe this is very normal" is a reference to?

Power Khan posted:

So their ancestors though they'd mock the Austrians by giving *themselves* stupid names.

This may or may not be an urban legend, but I've heard the same is true about the Dutch when they lived under Napoleon's occupation, which should explain some really weird last names you can only find in the Netherlands but not in Flanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for how I handled my daughter wanting to leave?

oh no not rock music

also lol @ the sex trafficking bit

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Switching between languages at the drop of a hat and not noticing when you do is a sign of a disorganised mind. I'm fluent in several languages and I never, ever do this, let alone expecting other people to just simply understand me if I switch between languages for some reason (the languages I speak are fairly common languages where I live).

ninja edit: I once had a senior manager at work who was Dutch but had been living in California for 10+ years, he would randomly switch between Dutch and English regardless of who he was speaking to. It was extremely annoying. He was a chaotic gently caress-up and was later fired for dragging the company down with his assclownery.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Me [24F] with my fiancé [32M-who is a doctor BTW] I've caught him peeing in my kitchen sink. (self.relationships)

[update] I [24F] caught my finance [32M] peeing in my kitchen sink. I was angry...but now I'm single. He dumped me.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > r/relationships: I was balling uncontrollably

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm sure it happens, but the prejudice about the French is much bigger than the actual prejudice from them.

Yes, it's this. I've been to France many times, and I've encountered the whole gamut from young people who actually wanted to speak English get some practice up to stodgy old folks who would think you slightly above dog poo poo if your French was merely acceptable.

The funniest encounter in that regard happened last year. I had to stay at a hotel in a town in bumfuck nowhere in the middle of France and I was running late, so I arrive at the counter and I ask in French: "Excuse me, do you also speak English?" And this guy just looks up strangely, then says, with the widest possible grin: "Non. Pas du tout." ("None whatsoever"). You can either take that as chauvinism or some French people's way of being humourous, since it was pretty clear I was at least able to speak French.

Anglos are a bit weirder in my experience. Either they (wrongly) assume everyone else (should) speak English, or they have no clue many people can indeed speak English and can thus understand they're gossipping about the fat bar lady or the man with the weird shoes. And it's by far the only group I've heard make fun of foreign languages they don't even understand, while being in that country. Like... why?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my husband that I dont want to have any sort of contact with his cousin?

The way that person writes is super-annoying. Everything reads like a breathless run-on sentence and all the ampersands make my eyes reel.

Also had a bit of a guffaw at "the American experience" here. I don't know why.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Chris Pistols posted:

Nth-ing the fact that this isn't the norm as I understand it. Out of interest, is it a particular culture in the UK that seats like this?

prolly Guernsey or something, to prevent even more incest from happening

or to encourage it, idk

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

PetraCore posted:

It's funny bc this particular poster is very clearly a submissive woman posting her own fantasies. Like all three together, no way any of them are real. Hell the 'I was giving a brilliant presentation to my professors when my ringtone came up saying what a stupid cumdump I am, how humiliating, let me describe how humiliating it is, luckily I'm really smart (also a cumdump)' alone gave it away.

General Bullshit › r/relationships: luckily I'm really smart (also a cumdump)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA for being pissed at my parents for taking us to Athens Georgia instead of Athens Greece?

This can't be true. Considering this is a person who is likely in their early 20s, by that age it would be exceedingly difficult to learn two modern Greek standards as well as ancient Greek - ancient Greek that's good enough to actually read the Iliad, no less (keep in mind that "ancient" Greek wasn't a standardized language and could be anything between Aeolic, Ionian, Attic and Koinè Greek). It's a nice story but they overdid it on the language bit. I would have believed it if they'd just picked one variety of Greek or claimed they'd been tutored in ancient Greek for 6 years, otherwise this would mean this person would have sacrificed all their free time to learning various varieties of Greek from, say, age 13 to age 21. If that is the case, however, it would be an extremely lovely joke for the family to pull on this kid.

Source: I studied ancient Greek from age 13 to 18, at least three hours in class and three hours outside of it, and I couldn't understand a paragraph from the Iliad I hadn't analysed before to save my life.

e: Athens is okay, Whorelord. There are much more interesting things to see and do in Greece than Athens.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I just assume floor pee is just from dudes with foreskin who are lazy about tugging it back.

Or dudes who are scared to turn gay if they touch penis.

Point being, men should sit on the toilet more.

I agree 100% on your last statement, but your first one is kind of baffling. I have had a (pretty impressive, I might add) foreskin all my life and I've never, ever had aiming problems when pissing. My piss always goes where I want it to go. The only way you can create a sort of piss misfire is (a) either if you're a complete idiot with 0 physical coordination or (b) if you nip your foreskin while pissing so that the piss will rapidly fill up the space between the glans and foreskin and then come out as a piss explosion.

I can't believe I just wrote this post.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Sounds like a plot for "How Karen got Her Groove Back"

Yes, call his parents so that his shame and guilt become so insurmountable that he'll hate himself for life and then become a Republican.

What that kid did was obviously wrong and her initial response was undoubtedly right, but from what she told he was already embarrassed more than enough. Also I hate people that don't use proper spacing after punctuation marks.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

He's already a Republican. Even if he weren't, this isn't op's responsibility. Don't blame victims. Don't insist the Brock Turners of the world are too sad to eat steak so have been punished enough.

I'm not victim blaming in the slightest. I'm just saying that informing this kid's parents is disproportional to what he actually did. Brock Turner is a rapist, this kid isn't. I hate that I should reiterate that I think what he did was bad and wrong, but punishment should be proportional. I think it would be better to sit him down and, in so far as he hasn't already, make him understand why what he did was wrong to make sure he just didn't feel bad because he was caught.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

I genuinely don't think you understand what victim blaming is.

Well, you're wrong. I know plenty of women who have been assaulted or sexually violated and I have first-hand experience in seeing the hosed-up ways in which people do anything from Not My Nigel! to outright blaming the victim. In no way do I put the burden on this woman for what that kid did.

Invisible Clergy posted:

I think the op's age relative to her harasser's is functioning as a smokescreen here for you. If they'd been the same age, would you still think it's the victim's responsibility to do emotional labor for her harasser to pointlessly try to make him less of a scumfuck? Do you think she would be obligated to protect her harasser's reputation by keeping his secret lest he experience consequences for his actions instead of immediately telling everyone he knows to punish him and hopefully curtail his opportunity to do it to other women again in the future? Your posting thus far hasn't given me any reason to think it would, so I'd like to extend you the benefit of the doubt. I sincerely hope not. If your answer is still somehow yes, why do you think it's op's responsibility to parent someone else's child who is busy jacking off to her underwear?

Do you still beat your wife? Sorry but I never implied let alone said that she has to do any kind of emotional labor for him. That kid needs therapy, not mob justice. I've come around and agree that his parents do ought to know, but "telling everyone" isn't going to help anything and will likely make matters worse for anyone involved.

Invisible Clergy posted:

The little poo poo clearly doesn't feel bad, and even if he did, that doesn't matter because he's not the victim here, op is.

OP said he profusely apologized and clearly did feel bad. We don't know if he did so merely because he got caught or because he realized what he did was wrong, but again, I'm willing to extend the benefit of doubt to a 16 year old. If a kid is young enough to warrant being shielded from predators, it's also young enough not to be mercilessly branded as a monstrous rapist that ought to be shot in the back of the head. The point of justice, in an ideal world, is rehabilitation. A 40 year old caught wanking into underwear is likely irredeemable. A 16 year old who responded to being caught with shame (and hopefully remorse) has a much better shot.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

To be fair there are contexts in which being called 'Papi' could work for me...

one would expect no less from A Self-Avowed Motherfucker

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

So guys, what are everyone’s top relationship posts of all time?

The mouse puppet one is good, but imo nothing will ever beat “my girlfriend has a shrine to her dead boyfriend and sometimes calls me by his name” just for the sheer trickle down of information and escalation

kimbo305 posted:

Of stories that warranted a thread title change, my fave is the one where the wife kept badgering the husband to get into scat play, and he grudgingly agreed to poo poo on her in the tub, only to discover as he was turtling that she was trying to catch it in her mouth.

I'm surprised the poo poo-eating wife wasn't mentioned more here. Also the best part was that he moped about the near-poop eating experienced ruined their prospective trip to the zoo with their kid.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Still better that the master IT guy whose apprentices throw themselves at him.that one sounds like incel/vocel bait.

That was what I was thinking, too. Guys who don't want to mentor women at the workplace, as far as I've read articles about it, tend to have a really hostile view of women and seem to be so afraid of being accused of harrassment that you'd think they may, in fact, be sexual predators. Why else be so God drat frightened? The 'twist' in this story is I guess that he was propositioned by the women in question, but that seems like a stretch, no matter for it to have allegedly happened twice. His so-called GF's overreaction at the end is the cherry on top, really.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

AITA For asking my friends girlfriend why she would date my friend since he is overweight, short and unattractive (no offense)?

He's obviously concern trolling but this story kind of hit close to home. A few years ago I was introducing my then-girlfriend to friends while some acquaintances were present as well, and this one girl kept asking me "how come you always end up dating such attractive women?". I had to spell it out to other people that this question wasn't innocent at all and frankly quite insulting. Joke's on her though because she looks like Boy George and ended up married to a guy who looks like a jaundiced reptile.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

it was more about incest/being a prude iirc

wasn't it about loving in a bed with a child in the same room?

Uh I thought this actually referred to that weirdo ITT who said it was "completely normal" in Europe to show up at a family function with spatters of spunk still on your face or in your hair.

On the off chance someone thinks this actually is a thing in Europe for some reason - it absolutely isn't, not even in sexually more open-minded countries.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Whorelord posted:

Guy's a dick but the Scots did do quite a bit of colonisation in Ireland...

So did the Irish in Scotland, really. :shrug:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

There's a bunch of comments from the poster about this, but this one jumped out at me:

It's not that she's not in the wedding party, she's literally relegated to 2nd tier guest. When my brother got married he asked me to bake him a wedding cake, which was a hilariously awful idea, but him and his wife wanted everyone to feel included and even though I laughed in his face, I still appreciated the thought. It sounds like the sister can't even be bothered to give the appearance of caring.

Oof, yeah. I feel for this woman. I dated a woman who was in a rather similar situation, and while her (much) older sisters were nice people who didn't outright exclude her, there were so many moments where they, mostly unaware of themselves, made her feel like dumb little babby sister even though she was 24. I bet that as a child, this woman probably also looked up to her older sister and brother, and getting the sub-zero shoulder from them even now must hurt like something fierce.

I'm so happy my brothers I get along so well. Though this is 2020, you never know one of them suddenly drops dead and secretly relegated me to the role of human toilet at his funeral.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I'm healthy but sometimes I feel bad I should be allowed to say I have cancer

nothing but sympathy for other cancer patients, people

hey don't police my identity

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Piell posted:

AITA for wearing formal clothes

quote:

I mostly wear a waistcoat with a dress shirt and tie, in the autumn i wear a gorgeous tailcoat with it all, people on here have always had problems over it and i always recieve some sort of abuse when talking about formal and victorian fashion, AITA? I've been into it for years and i'm not changing my life to conform to the internet.

I wear pocket watches too and i have a wing collar shirt, and i collect neckties.

So far i've only had one person irl call me 'weird' and it was a friend of a friend, the rest is just all compliments.

this guy is either EXTREMELY fat or looks like a weirdly proportioned lamp post

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Reading that I gradually went from "a girl being nice to you doesn't mean she's into you" to "oh hey she's most likely into you, nice" then I remembered she's 27 and he's 18 so she should probably stop being a creep.

yeah, sounds like she's manipulating this kid into getting all kinds of emotional attention from him while technically not cheating on her own boyfriend. poo poo's hosed up.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Solenna posted:

From Ask A Manager

Can I wear a collar now that we’re on video?

One of my brothers is an academic, and he told me that at international work conferences, there's always this professor with a collar (and a mesh shirt, leather pants, so admittedly a bit more extreme than this woman) constantly followed by a strict-looking woman who never speaks but is there anyway. To him and many of the other academics in his age cohort (mid 30s) it is very, very obvious this guy is in some sort of TPE / 24/7 BDSM relationship, but God drat if it doesn't make conferences awkward.

To add the cherry ball gag on top, my brother's field is psychology.

A few years ago I participated in a thesis student's dissertation on BDSM as part of a questionnaire panel and a live interview, and interestingly she told me that there is a disproportionate amount of subs that studied or are active in psychology, while doms are more likely to be from STEM fields. As an aside, it was an interesting panel to be part of, I got to meet a guy who described himself as a "submissive sadist", something I never even thought existed. The panel itself took place in a university basement because it was the only space available at the time, but we all sniggered at the appropriateness of it.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Cythereal posted:

To be honest, I don't trust what any teenager says about their sexuality. That's the age when you're still figuring things out and experimenting. I wouldn't consider anyone's sexual preference anything but 'Undecided' until their twenties.

People are different. I recall having my first sexual thoughts and feelings before I turned 7 and I was always very, very sure I liked women. On the flipside, a friend of mine came out as queer at 25 even though many people around him had long suspected it. Also no one is going to bat an eye if you're a straight kid who says they're straight at like 12-13, this kind of 'undecided' label somehow seems to apply only to non-normative sexual attractions?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

In re: the last name thing, I hope you all realise that languages have different sounds and sound clusters, right? I know there are American people with my family name, but if they can't speak Dutch, they can't pronounce my last name in Dutch because my last name has a vowel that doesn't exist in English. So something like this would hardly upset me.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

to be fair that is the exact kind of short sighted vindictive poo poo I'd have done in school lmao.

Same. In fact I did do something similar and I hope by God evidence of it never surfaces because it's an awful look.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

Since divorcing my [48M] wife [49F] I’m being inundated with offers from gorgeous young women. What’s going on?

I bet his computer is full of spyware and that he still uses Internet Explorer 9

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Some people act rashly and do things in the heat of the moment that they regret almost immediately after. Some people carefully select a cake tin, make sure to line it with foil for hygiene, spend 8 hours freezing their piss, and never once during the whole process stop to think maybe this is what a psychopath does.

From two pages back but you know what they say, piss a dish best served cold

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

The Bramble posted:

When I noticed the thread took a turn for grammar and word discussion, I grew incredibly weary. Meaning that I grew incredibly tense and anticipated danger.

all these posts are very complimentary with one another

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for going to the American Girl Doll cafe alone?

assuming this is real, how can you have so little self-awareness

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Souptube should pair up with Ketchup Chef

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah stop trying to hook up with a child bro.

do we always have to do this? OP is yikes for sure but an 18yo isn't a child

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

Wow, that's remarkably bad. Was even Dutch food too exotic for these clowns? Different perspective but I feel like most of the food/beer options in northwestern Europe are playing a lot of the same notes anyway.

Dutch "cuisine" is a crime against humanity. The only Germanic countries that have good food are unsurprisingly countries that border different cultures, like Switzerland, Austria and Belgium.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Propaniac posted:

My gf [19F] won’t be with me [21M] if she cannot post her rear end on Instagram.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > r/relationships: I’m aware of the nature of guys and asses on Instagram

It's true, when you sign up you have to say if you are
- Male
- Female
- Other
- rear end

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

I think the problem is that these people grew up in a pretty heavily authoritarian environment, where there was an agreement that the youth obey the elders OR ELSE, so they've really heavily internalized the idea that You Obey Authority because the alternative is too unpleasant to waste brain function on.

So they spend all this time obeying authority, looking forward to the day when finally it will be their turn... and then these kids show up who haven't internalized that idea, and who have all these weird notions about autonomy and rights and oh my God what if I wasted my life obeying people for nothing?!

When you've already been trained not to think for yourself and to obey authority, you're going to have a devil of a time going against the idea that the culture you grew up with was wrong. The easier notion is "No, it's the children who are wrong, and need to be taught as much."

The attitude pretty much just boils down to "might makes right," so you have to prove that you're mightier than those uppity kids who don't fall in line, because you're incapable of thinking yourself mightier than the people who hosed you over in the past.

True. My mum frequently complains about the fact (well, to her it's a fact, I disagree) that she's from a generation that was offered no quarter when it came down to disagreeing with their elders, but that because of how many people in her generation raised kids, the generation that I belong to doesn't hesitate to point out how they are wrong about certain subjects, too, so to her it feels like being caught between a hammer and an anvil.

I mean, yes, on the whole Boomers did terrible things and continue to support terrible things, but at least many of them did reject the automatic "obey your elders" that was instilled in countless generations before them. It's just that they seemed to not expect that Millennials would not "obey their elders" either (for the record my mum is 61 and I'm 37, so I could also be considered a late Gen X'er or whatever).

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Barudak posted:

<me, forced to read "The Joy of Sex" at the age of 10> Take a bath you loving hippies

Similarly, I had to go through a German booklet called '169 Sensational Lessons of Love In Full Colour' that was about as erotic as an IKEA catalog full of dead-eyed people with 1970s haircuts.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

What subculture or keyboard layout is this person belying with the « quotes » ?

French uses these types of quotes as citation marks, but some French-adjacent countries will sometimes use them by mistake as well (e.g. there's a lot of Flemings that use them, too).

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

teen witch posted:

I have an unusual suspicion that dad has not just made that one strange joke before!

One Strange Joke - Daughters Hate It!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Cobalt-60 posted:

Do lesbians watch "lesbian" porn?

I've been told that men are more aroused by visuals, while women are more aroused by written accounts, but I wonder if that's just societal. If women shot porn for a straight female audience, what would it look like?

That does exist and has existed for some time now.

Regardless of gender, I think most people like either but have a slight preference one way or the other.