Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

loving STEM brain needs to be caught in childhood and these people taught how to be a human.

Heaven forbid a worker want to know about their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Invisible Clergy posted:

NTA. How do all RAs have the same personality?

Mine was chill, all he did was smoke weed all day. One time he beat up and tossed out up some random moron that tried to poo poo in the showers.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

A lot of posters seem to have never had good quinoa. Get thee to GWS!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

I am so tired of this excuse for rude rear end old people, the fact that you drove away everyone who cared about you by being an awful person does not mean everyone on the planet is now obligated to tolerate you being an awful person :staredog:
Try telling them they have to earn respect. Its always good for some comedy.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's a different flavor of it and a different level of it, but like... have you really never seen the weird groupthink around bitcoin where people who don't understand it are considered "normies" and the people who are in the know end up self-ostracizing and staying to their group of little likeminded assholes by sheer force of being insufferable evangelists about it?

We've had posts where people talk about their boyfriend putting their savings into Bitcoin and trying to get them to do the same as well. It doesn't seem like much of an improvement. It's just a kind of cult mentality that men fall for easier than women.

Seems like the same cult logic some of the weed people fall into.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

I was bullied in school and now I have kids in school. Here's what I'm doing:

-Live near a good school
-Have a close relationship with my daughter where she can tell me problems
-Take problems seriously and commit to providing actual useful assistance
-Try to get to know all the other kids and their parents
-Help my daughter make friends and develop strong social skills
-Ensure my daughter is dressed reasonably normally

Things I will do if I learn that my daughter is being bullied (which I would know due to above)
-Analyze the situation and develop plan as early as possible, ideally before the situation is even necessarily recognizable as "bullying"
-Attempt to enlist help from other parents, tweets and school administrators, etc (not confident about this but I will try it if needed). If nothing else, this provides a paper trail and documents the response, if any.

If those are unsuccessful, at this point the school knows, the teachers know, other parents know, there is a paper trail, and other measures are documented as failing. At that point, if the bullying were to persist, I would work out with my daughter a plan that involves (a minimum of) violence on her part.

If even this last resort were to fail (which I don't think it would, bullies seem to respond well to force) then I would escalate escalate escalate escalate. I'd call in local news. I'd start a reddit thread. I'd demand to meet with the superintendent, talk at a school board meeting, send a tip to Anderson Cooper, rent billboards, picket the school, file a lawsuit. I would succeed eventually because I would not give up.

Above all, my daughter would know that I had her back, that I took the problem dead seriously and I was doing everything I could to help her. At no point would I tell her that she had to put up with it. She would be safe when she was home and we would work together to resolve the matter. She could be confident knowing she was not on her own.

This is too complicated and does not speak the same language administration speaks. Make friends with a lawyer and let them deal with admin.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for going fishing while I have online classes?

This hits too close to home. I have a student that fly fishes during lecture. I generally don't care unless they are failing the course. If they're failing they can knock that off and focus or drop.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

betaraywil posted:

I think we're all losing sight of the true moral of that story: All ENTs are predatory demons who resent their patients for seeking medical care and punish them for it.

Last ENT I saw had the biggest nose I've ever seen. Thing was the size of a softball.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Tarkus posted:

Speaking of chicken, does anyone ever go to KFC any more? Every time I have it it's loving gross, it wasn't always that way. Also their physical locations are always grimey.

KFC only has one item on the menu: Food Poisoning.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A shocking number of people I know seem to keep every single light on when they're home.

I'll keep, maybe the hallway light on and the one in the room I'm in, that's it. I'll never understand the need to keep rooms lit when you're not in them. Just seems so wasteful.

I literally had to put motion sensors on the lights and TV at my parents house because of this nonsense. Shut your lights and TVs off when you're not around, loving boomers.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for correcting my professor every time she gets my name wrong?

NTA, please do correct when we get your names wrong. IDK why anyone non-boomer is in higher ed if you don't have enough respect for your students to learn their names.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

:thunk: so that's how my parents named me.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Yelling at parents is a perk of the job.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For wanting to keep my bees even though my new neighbor's son is highly allergic to them?

THE BEEEEEEES.

NTA, bees and cacti are good neighbor repellent.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Propaniac posted:

AITA for asking my girlfriend to not eat chips on the bed?

Some poor sucker got stuck with my ex.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

rotinaj posted:

I would really like to know how many people other than me have to restrain themselves from involuntarily saying no instantly anytime anyone invites them to a cookout. Not because I don’t like cookouts and hanging with friends, but the idea instantly puts me on edge, makes me start feeling anxiety, and have like…. Memories of abusive family members incessantly loving with me spring to mind instantly.

And then my friends are like “yo, rotinaj, this isn’t like one of your family ones, we will sit you on a chair and give you food to eat, not emotionally abuse you and make you be the waiter for the entire gathering”. I still go to them with friends. but holy poo poo did my childhood make me just get fuckin’ triggered at the thought of one.

You're not the only one :unsmith:.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Just skip out on a blender and buy a tissue homogenizer from a laboratory surplus store. The thing will liquefy anything that is currently or was previously living. I think they're pretty cheap too.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Same goes for age.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Pinecone Sample posted:

You can be destitute at 18, you can end up homeless at 18 and there's lots of reasons people do, but I don't understand how you can be in a lot of debt at 18.

Maybe like her father reverse-mortgaged the house while dying and she inherited it that way?

In any event, "it's fine, honey, I don't want your money" and THEN committing grand theft is even more perplexing and probably not true, either.

You get in the same situation I did. A bank offers you a credit card and you take it because all of the adults in your life have told you that you need good credit to get anything good. You're good with the credit card, don't go to credit card hell and get limit increases. Your predatory family members learn that you have a card and decide to get as much credit as possible out of you. You being a dumb 18 year old don't realize that they are parasites and that you should :sever: them. Welcome to credit card hell, you owe us 5000$+ at 27% interest. Hope that 600-800$/month job can keep up.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Grimdude posted:

I can tell you that as someone with one leg and a handicapped parking tag: it won't stop people.

I've had three people leave notes on my windshield, and two times they were instructors from two different schools. One was some random administrative staff at the school I attended and the other was at a temp job at a different school. I don't know who, but they reported me and I had a ticket to dispute at their security office. They of course didn't care and were really helpful and we had a good laugh.

I always hang up my blue tag if I even decide to park in a spot, most times I don't though because I can walk unassisted if it's not that far. Basically if I wear long pants, you can't tell WHAT is wrong but I walk with enough of a limp that you know something is.

Even last week some nosy old bitch rolled her window down to interrogate me while I was getting back into my car. I just quickly explain the situation and maybe sometimes roll a pant leg up to show them.

Tell them to eat poo poo and get lost.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only good thing I learned working retail as a kid was just that. Ignore them, keep talking like they're not having a mental breakdown or chucking a tantrum like a small child. Give them nothing to latch onto.

They give you a "I'll see that you're fired!" Given them back a "Have a nice day." And say it with all the sincerity you have.

Have your own nervous breakdown afterwards, but never let them see you care in the slightest.

And never, ever engage. Because they have a lot more experience being horrible than you do. That's not a battle you'll win.

These were always my favorite because I'd tell them that I hate the job. I'd ask them to get me fired so I could get on unemployment. It shut down so many stupid tantrums.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 22, 2021

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

What a loving rear end in a top hat. Evict that shitter roommate and let the good big sister take care of her little sister. What is the kid actually doing that impacts the roommate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This particular dude isn't doing anything for the company, though; he's putting his stuff in the back. This isn't "show up 15 minutes early to open", it's "be on the clock when the store actually opens its doors."

IMO we should start getting paid the moment we leave our homes and begin traveling to work.