Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Father committed suicide and had I guess been practicing a particular piece "over and over" in the run-up. Presumably the poster's mom thinks he committed suicide over not being good enough at piano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

He thought she was drunk or drugged and his response to her was "DO WHAT I SAY OR GET THE gently caress OUT!"

That's not reasonable in the slightest.

The "do what I say" in this case being "stop being friends with the lady probably conspiring to get you gangraped."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sillybones posted:

"I had friends over, a guy and three girls. One of the girls, Jane..."

Why do they make their poo poo unreadable? The worst is like:

Every time I read that as 'My male, 34 year old girlfriend..."

It's a straight up requirement in r/relationships itself, and instead of figuring out how to write it into the sentence structure itself, people just write it up and then insert it in. Then they copy it in AITA because they're used to it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Guy should just have a small get together with his friends this year and also follow up with "you know actually, the kid will absolutely hate having to share his birthday with his dad, better to keep them separate."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's not ugly sounding but honestly the "-ander" makes it sound like a Boy's name.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Poster is massaging the hell out of it, in other posts he admits that he's come to family gatherings high before and at one of those got in a fight with the brother in law, but honestly even with all that it didn't need to be public.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The guy should come back to work and say "i've deeply reflected and from now on, only my stepfather has to call me sir or mr lastname."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Please, just call me Bong Hits. Mr. 4 Jesus is my father.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
At a guess, he probably habitually showers in the morning as part of his waking up process, and showering twice in a day feels like a waste to him.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

The skeleton of this post is pretty common in poly stories. What I guarantee you is happening is that the wife and husband are legally married with concomitant legal benefits and op is twisting in the wind, but is allowed to informally refer to her paramours as her husband and wife. It's also how she ended up not working and doing all the scutwork. Likely that couple was together first and spliced her on as a third.

Except that contradicts basically everything we get from the actual post. She doesn't refer to the man as her husband, just the woman as her wife. "Our" children are all older than the start of the dude entering into the relationship.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As they're seemingly both bi, they may have not even bothered with sperm donors and they may have just arranged for one of them to get pregnant. (Also, it looks like the oldest kid is a foster kid.) Hell, as written we can't even strictly tell if any of the kids are the GUY'S kids from a previous relationship, the exact members of the "our" in "our" kids are ambigious.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Giving charity to someone absolutely does not give you the right to try and enforce your views or lifestyle choices on them, or to feel insulted if they reject your help when you try to do so. If the condition of your charity is that you'll only buy vegan food, find people who want vegan food. Don't force it on people you're trying to help and then act like they're being ungrateful.

Like imagine if the situation were reversed and the friend said "sure, I'll buy food for you, but I'm not buying vegan stuff." Obviously the rear end in a top hat. It's not significantly different just because non-vegans can eat vegan food; if it's not something she wants then it's not something she wants.

I'd say the OP's behavior is a little worse than explicitly religious soup kitchens, but not as bad as people who give broken stuff to thrift stores.

OP isn't forcing anything, the person can just ask someone else, if OP's compromise to still help her out without going against their principles is unacceptable to them.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Switchback posted:

But OP refuses to let her pay, so now it’s a drama.

It's not drama, OP's friend just said no, and OP feels kinda bad about it, and is wondering whether they should or shouldn't feel kinda bad about it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Singular they was good enough for Shakespeare and should be good enough for the rest of us.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

therobit posted:

Yeah like how he's all like "I don't blame women for not wanting to date my insecure rear end" but then... isn't taking any steps to get better?

I mean how the hell do you know he isn't?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

"My horse girl partner is not being a very well-adjusted person. Who could've seen this coming?"

Also, owning multiple loving horses: :guillotine:

AITA for playing 'FAG - GAY' in a scrabble game?

Yes, I'm sure op's non-chud friends "flipped the board" and "insulted his faith" that is definitely a real thing that happened.

Among everything else about this: that isn't actually a valid scrabble move. You can extend an existing word, or go perpendicular while including one of the letters of an existing word, but you can extend an existing word and then go perpendicular to your extension. So even ignoring the whole "slurs are no longer valid words" even if they were valid words, his smug "it's a valid move, heh," is wrong.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

He also made the fairly uncommon decision not to use a throwaway for his post. Nothing too salacious, just typical reddit poo poo, but still lol.

AITA for removing one grandchild from our will and instead have a "stranger"?

"Reddit, should I punish my granddaughter for being switched at birth?"

Write out the shithead older granddaughter and split things equally between the two girls switched at birth.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I don't understand why she said she was disappointed unless that email was read by the company or manager and had gotten her in trouble. Doesn't sound like it though, so she's doing that person a solid by not immediately ratting on her to the company. That's also kind of like one of those "personality evaluation" questions you can't answer humanely when applying for certain min wage retail jobs.

"I hosed up, now I need to make the person who was wronged feel guilty to keep them from reporting it to a higher up."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

Not only did she explicitly ignore his warning not to throw him a party, she didn't invite anyone who actually knows him well enough to also say "holy gently caress what are you doing he will literally hate you for this"

Almost like the whole point of the party wasn't about him...

Sounds like she did invite people who knew him well enough actually, that's how he found out, when his best friend warned him.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't know, it depends on how reliable the narrator is, and "The only thing I sucked in was the minor tests worth 25% compared to major assignments worth 50% which is what I do well in. On those tests, I consistently scored 60%" does not make a reliable narrator. For starters where's the other 25%? Second, if you score 60% on the stuff that's worth 25% of your grade then the highest you could possibly get is 90% and since the OP's benchmark is "85% and higher" I really doubt she's right that her grade is lower than it should be. OP got an 86, which means the non-test work is 95%. If anything I feel OP probably has a grade that's too high not too low.

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know ofttimes, the narrators in these are unreliable and will omit important information or frame situations in a fashion to present themselves favorably. That said, I feel like we need to accept that the basic factual information in them is true to have a common frame of reference to discuss our opinions on them.

From one of the comments the narrator posted "Parrents told me anything less than a 90 is a failure because I have zero extracurriculars sports band and only some volunteering," so at this point my working theory is honestly yeah the teacher messed up a couple grades, but only such that the actual grade was an 87% or something. Just enough of a mistake though that the redditor thought they could get away with throwing the teacher under the bus rather than get punished by their parents over a mere B.

Evil Willow posted:

I read it as "I did two assignments worth 25% each and got 60% for both." In which case, that adds up to 30/50. If they scored 100% on the assignment worth 50% of their grade, the best they could have hoped for is 80% total. In which case, getting 86% was definitely a mistake on the teacher's behalf as the total grade should have been lower.

If we're really generous and say they received 70% on each of the two 25% assignments, the best mark they could have received is still only 85%.
If the individual assignments are worth 25% each then they aren't minor assignments, the assignments they got 60% on were worth 25% TOTAL.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah, I do think it's telling that for all the post itself talks about her not doing things that aren't strictly speaking helping either, (or rather 'mostly' ignoring the kids, which honestly makes me wonder whether the sister believes she's doing what she was asked now) when OP had to sum it up for the title her complaint was that her sister wasn't helping.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Play posted:

why would anyone think a bunch of strangers could tell them what their boyfriend was thinking in some specific moment? maybe just.... ask him??

quote:

When he came back home, I asked him why and he very nonchalantly said "I didn't know I did that"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for insisting the DM not take control of my D&D character

I love posts about dnd bullshit. Yes, clearly we must know what class everyone is playing to fully grasp your issue.

Seems like character class in this case made a perfectly serviceable way to identify which individual involved was doing what, we certainly get plenty of complaints in this thread about redditors using way worse identifiers than that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

therobit posted:

I don't buy an actually Native American/ Indian/ Indigenous person telling someone from India not to use the term, although maybe I could see making a joke about it. Whether people prefer to be called Native American, indigenous, Indian, or something else varies a ton from person to person and tribe to tribe. Usually people prefer to use their tribe/nation if you know it. But there are definitely people that prefer Indian to Native American.

Supposedly, basically the biggest trend towards what someone prefers is whether they ever lived on a reservation. If they live on or near reservations there's trend toward preferring to be called Indian, and if they don't there's a trend toward preferring to be called Native American.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

The assumption with no stipulations about late work should be that late work simply isn't accepted or that it's only accepted on a case by case basis upon talking with the prof.

I think that's significantly less true if there's already a precedent of late work being accepted with a penalty.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

Minor physical labor doesn't seem bad. Taking the phones is weird as hell though.

5-8 hours of poo poo that even this rear end in a top hat is willing to admit "isn't easy," is not "minor physical labor" for an 11 year old and 13 year old. When he says "it's not anything my dad didn't have me do as a kid" and "I feel like my sister should be thanking me for trying to get them straight as our father once did to us" for an implicit "my sister did all this stuff as a kid too" (which is also explicitly confirmed in the comments, though I don't really blame anyone for not googling to read the comments) what that means is "the sister knows exactly what level of labor i'm having them do now that she knows 'they'll have to work' doesn't mean 'i'll have them do some chores' and there's a reason she's flying back from out of the country early to rescue her kids from me."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I thought it was going to be "nephew and his step-sister with his dad's new wife." Which actually would have been a "eh, maybe that's not a good thing to give one kid in a family unit a huge windfall of gifts" thing.

Not "nephew and his step-sister who he doesn't have a relationship with because his mother basically chaos dunked herself out of his life." cause his sister is using her stepdaughter as a prop to wedge herself back into the family, no other reason.

gently caress that cat muderer forever.

e: the post got deleted for mentioning the spoiled reasons, but one of his edits mentions that the sister doesn't have any custody or visitation rights. So i was correct in my assumption that this is a stunt to try and force her way back in.
it also means she fought harder to keep the cat than her own kid, wtf.

Maybe, it wouldn't surprise me, but it also wouldn't surprise me if she saw which way the wind was blowing and basically went "well I at least want the cat (specifically to murder it)"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Consciousness is stored in the balls

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [19M] girlfriend [19F] doesn't believe in joint finances after marriage.

This guy is a dipshit but seems to be actually listening to everything people are saying to him in the comments, I think he's mostly just a dipshit because he's 19 and not so much because he's suffering from some fundamental dipshitness. Probably shouldn't be getting married soon enough that any of this will matter because he's a 19 year old dipshit and she's probably a 19 year old dipshit in some other way that isn't apparent on this particular reddit post.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I thought that nowadays commercial butchers wouldn't touch hunted deer meat because mad cow?

Some butchers, probably not, but if you're in serious hunting country then hunted dear meat probably represents a serious portion of their yearly business.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Intl Cron posted:

Nah, don't tell us how or why it's "incredibly wrong," it's cool - just drag up a comment from pages ago and swoop away. You've done your duty, and the rest of us will read your erudite mind for the details

The last page is "dragging up a comment from pages ago" now?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Quackles posted:

I thought The Prince was written as a satire, anyway?

By my understanding that's not really the dominant school of thought anymore, and it wasn't the original dominant school of thought either. The man himself was a republican but also had an interest to get on the good side of the guy who was ruling his home city, so being a republican in no way meant he couldn't go "look at what good advice i can give you for runny a non-republican government! Hire me!"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for refusing to help my dad with a kidney transplant after he’s spent years denying he’s my father?

From the comments, even like the parts of his paternal family that were really pissed off at his dad for abandoning him (his paternal grandparents were apparently in constant fights with the dad about it) are still pressuring him on this, it's gotta suck for this guy.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Pretty much one of the dumbest, which is hard in a series where everyone was borderline mentally challenged, decisions in Game of Thrones was how Cat Stark hated Jon Snow but totally loved her husband even after the "proof" he had been unfaithful to her was loving Jon Snow.

The series definitely has plenty of dumb poo poo in it but this isn't really the situation. Her view on the being unfaithful itself is effectively "It was a political marriage where he wasn't even the guy I was originally arranged to marry, we'd known each other for the space of like a week, he was fighting a war, and this is a patriarchal society where there just really isn't consequence for men being unfaithful, that he was going to be unfaithful is pretty much to be expected." She hadn't continued loving him through the affair having happened, they grew to love each other years afterwards when it was already a done thing. She dislikes Jon Snow not for his existence but because he was raised effectively the same as her own children which she feels makes him disproportionately likely to be a future political threat to her own children. And while it's not explicitly stated there's a bit of an in between the lines element of it being displaced anger at her husband because it's a patriarchal society where nothing good will happen to her out of picking a fight over it with him.

I dunno, maybe you still think that's bad characterization but at worst it's still significantly less bad characterization than "still loves a man through him cheating on her, hates the son it produced instead."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As the story is presented, the ex's new boyfriend is themself also A Lego Person. So, they could have stolen the sets because... the personally wanted to have the sets but considered them too expensive to buy, and thought that he could shift the responsibility to his girlfriend's son, whose dad would would maybe throw up his hands about the matter in that case.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's genuinely a pretty clever idea, but also I'm imagining that he finally manages to get her out but his brother has gotten a taste for the slob life and also can't be evicted because of COVID and he's ends up in a Swallowed A Spider To Get The Fly situation.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

I cannot imagine being the daughter in this situation. Like, even as someone who has existed in very poly-positive circles. I simply cannot imagine my mom saying "I feel undesirable" and replying "Have you tried loving other men"

She was actively trying to hook her friend up with her dad.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

How do we know that?

Just post the story. Sheesh.

We don't KNOW know that I posit that there is a reason why the daughter who actively suggested an open relationship is okay with her dad loving her friend.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I went to The Bad School in my district and could count the comparable incidents in my entire time there on one hand so I'm gonna go out there and say your perspective of regular teenage fuckups is skewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

quote:

She doesn’t think by heating up extra water it is cost effective, or heating up the water separately, and first, because that increases the time that she is at the cooker.

This is the actual primary motivation and the cost savings is a way to make it sound less absurd than threatening her own health in order to spend a couple fewer minutes in front of the stove.