Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

therobit posted:

I'd agree with you if he hadn't played 20 questions with her, including directly asking her why, and not getting any meaningful answers. She has completely disconnected from him and won't explain it. He lashed out but it's understandable why he did so. There is a reason that she is choosing not to share with him.
It sounds like she's given plenty of reasons. He just doesn't like those reasons so he pretends they're not good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Martman posted:

I mean......... don't use razor wire to stop kids. That is loving stupid.
You're right. broken beer bottles cemented into cinder blocks is the Baltimore way.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah, probably ~$30k all told on ~$1m house including the HOA, maybe less

and whether that guy realizes it or not, he's balking at his girlfriend wanting to become his landlord, who it sounds like also wants to rent to him without the protection of a lease

that's a reasonable thing to decline

she's charging him more than half of what it will cost to live there, including property tax, while significantly out-earning him

gently caress that
Well. Parking $1M in cash in real estate has an opportunity cost of ~$50k a year. Another $15k/year in maintenance. Presumably the lady is paying that.

Dude's probably not a reliable narrator, but they both seem to suck at managing money.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Baronjutter posted:

The businesses I knew of:
-Owned a local fashion company despite having no knowledge of it, hired friends to do everything while she just got to say she owned a clothing label. Apparently it was "pretty successful" but she got bored of the industry.
-She made friends with a lady who made energy-crystal based jewelry, she opened up a "gallery" selling these and other crystal based products and hired her friends as staff and artists. Main jeweler got sick of her poo poo and saw the business would never turn a profit so parted ways to run her own web shop instead of an incredibly expensive physical store. This was a terrible betrayal and the only reason the business failed.
-Tried to start a tattoo business after getting into rockabilly stuff. Was super super into it but mom didn't like tattoos so wouldn't fund the business.
-Got extremely into babies and pregnancy and motherhood and wanted to start a business helping moms. Without any medical knowledge she decided to go back to crystals. Hired friends to make her a website and a few others as part-time staff. It was going to be like a consultation thing where she'd consult with pregnant women or women trying to become pregnant and deal with "energy" issues in the home. This is when she broke up with the guy I knew, which sent her into a depression and made her unable to continue her business.
-Her mom then bought her the million dollar house and helped match-make her with a nice boy who would get her pregnant and she could simply be a stay at home mom and not have to worry about being a serial entrepreneur anymore.
I would watch this sitcom. I'm imagining a cross between Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Arrested Development.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

AnoHito posted:

Before this thread, I would have thought "don't literally commit theft against your partner" was one of those things everyone just intrinsically knew and understood, but apparently people manage to drag the bar down further and further...
Same, but with "non-consensual piss games"

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hasturtium posted:

the difference for any but the subtlest of applications would never, ever be called "massive."
Since it applies to mass, clearly it's massive. :colbert:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

betaraywil posted:

Yeah, part of what makes Reddit awful is how it attracts people who have a lot of anger and resentment and offers them socially acceptable targets for those feelings. The lack of meaningful interaction and community-building frees people up to lose their poo poo on strangers based on really fuzzy, overlapping, often contradictory senses of propriety. Does the brother suck for smoking fentanyl in his sister's house? Absolutely. Am I going to tut-tut some unkind words from somebody whose life has been thrown upside-down by someone else's addiction? No, wouldn't dream of it. But when reddit user euphoriusponyta comes across one of those righteous jeremiads and sees all the upvotes, a little lightbulb comes on, that mercilessly making GBS threads on certain kinds of people makes you look like a moral and concerned citizen. And that's something different.

In its own way, it's not that different from Q Anon people talking about pedophiles. Like obviously, my dude, but you're going about this in a way that is actually making the problem immeasurably worse.
I think a bigger part of it is that people with addicts as family members carry around a lot of justifiable anger about it. An anonymous addict on the internet is an easy target to vent on because the anger and addiction there aren't mixed up with the lifetime of caring for the person before and during being an addict.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

quote:

UPDATE: I confessed to my gf the entirety of the situation. She said she would have loved a surprise wedding. I am relieved but devastated as well.
This is some classic stdh.txt

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for making my daughter sleep in a tent
That tale checks off every reddit fake-post bingo square except tree law.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I've always wondered what the chance that each person in a county or the world makes it to say 70 years old. Its a hard question to quantify and infant mortality complicates it. Like if you reach adulthood what percentage of adults make it to 70?

Not quite what you're looking for, but still interesting. Basically, if you make it to 1, you're likely to make it to 70.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

gently caress parents who give their multiples matched names. First thing out of the womb and they label them as parts of a set rather than their own person. gently caress those people.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

papayart posted:

Please don’t mistake me saying this as I think shedpisser was in the right, because hey uh don’t... do that? But I’m saying that there’s ways of going hey that’s disgusting and even publicly putting them on blast that isn’t the much more serious outing someone against their will.

Call them an rear end in a top hat, stick a photo of their face up with the phrase “this freak pees on my lawn for fun”, but don’t put someone at risk of hate crimes just because they did something that’s gross but not. Anywhere the level of assaulting kids or something.

things can have different levels of seriousness and wrongness and maybe outing someone publicly is kind of disproportionate in The Current State Of Things is what I’m trying to say
You're right. It was a number-one dick move to leak the video.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GlyphGryph posted:

A trip with my girlfriend where there is beach lounging, a sauna, swimming, drinking and relaxing and I am under no obligation to talk to anyone else on the trip because they don't really want to talk to me either sounds wonderful, though.
I know, right? Cook everyone waffles for breakfast and then gently caress off and go fishing or whatnot for the day. Get to sleep with your partner at the end of the day. Dream vacation right there.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

deety posted:

I don't get why anyone would think that the wife finally snapping is the problem here instead of the twin that lied about being okay with their relationship, sexually harassed his sister-in-law, called his brother a loser, and then chose to drive drunk?

Do these parents not understand that they can love their son while still acknowledging that he can be an rear end in a top hat?
The parents correctly realize that they're more likely to get their desired outcome (the appearance of a happy family) by pressuring the reasonable sibling.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

teen witch posted:

[oregon] I accidentally created an army of crow body guards. Am I liable if my murder attempts murder?

This is from r/legaladvice, which has an even thicker stick up it’s rear end about veracity of posts. Needless to say, caw
This is much better written than that other feast for crows book.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Serephina posted:

From a completely different subreddit called Malicious Compliance, I bring you the most "North American" story I've ever heard:

"You can't bring that into the country" - some border crossing MC

Man gorges himself past discomfort in front of someone who couldn't care less, walks away thinking he's somehow pulled one over.
Border Guard 1: "I bet you $20 I can make him eat that whole sandwich"

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for getting my son a squat rack, a bench, and 200kg in plates for Christmas instead of a graphics card for his pc?
It's bugging me that the story talks about weight in kgs, but the bench press goal (225x 5) is a really super common standard in lbs. A plate is 45 pounds and the bar is too. So the bar with 2 plates on each side is 225 pounds. That's the common "lot of weight to bench" in high school.

Plus 225 kgs time 5 is more than most NFL linemen can bench.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ArbitraryC posted:

He wasn’t ready to have a kid, said no, and did what he was legally able to in that regard. Guys can’t abort a baby or choose to give it up for adoption. There was a party that chose to bring the kid into a single parent household and encouraged them contact the OP when he obviously wasn’t interested, but it wasn’t the OP.
If only there were ways for dudes who didn't want to have kids to not have kids....

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

betaraywil posted:

I fear that "sex should have consequences" is not the formula for human thriving that it occasionally appears to be
That's not what I was saying at all, but way to find the worst possible take.

My point was that you don't get to be lovely to a child for decades just because you can't force the drunk girl you raw-dogged into getting an abortion.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mr. Lobe posted:

god I'm glad I wasn't born a heterosexual. You might accidentally create a sentient being due to bad luck or poor decisions when indulging in one of your most primal instincts. Then either the course of your life will be irrevocably directed into attending to it, or even if you throw a small fortune at the problem to try to make it go away, that sentient creature may come for you, all vulnerable and fragile and full of frustrating humanity, and place its heart in your hands and force you to either cast it aside or be burdened with it from that day forward

Nobody should be cursed with being straight
If it makes you feel any better, gay teens have twice the pregnancy rate of their straight peers.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Skippy McPants posted:

Growing up gay isn't as hard as it used to be, but it still ain't easy. There are a lot of compounding risk factors that make them more likely to have sex at a younger age and do so without protection.
There's also some evidence that gay and bisexual men are more fertile than heterosexual men for genetic reasons. Although it's really hard to suss out given all the factors you're correct in bringing up.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

oof. already posted. nm.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Motherfucker posted:

Maybe, maybe. But consider what you're really advocating? Forcing it with a dude who pointedly doesn't want to be there?
Are you suggesting that the dude isn't a complete rear end in a top hat because he's so much of an rear end in a top hat that you shouldn't force a kid to interact with him?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Motherfucker posted:

I mean, sorta. Although its more 'it is what it is' I don't think 'blood' matters literally at all and trying to enter a relationship with a person who doesn't want it on that basis is going to create a lovely relationship that will come up in a reddit post down the line.
If you of your own free will create someone's life, you owe them a slight bit more than "lol, gently caress off".

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

sephiRoth IRA posted:

You folks who are arguing that this dude is required to have a relationship with this boy seem to have very little in the way of world experience with how it's likely to go. What are the expected outcomes here? Dad is just gonna go "ah gently caress you got me" and play catch with his son?

The guy rebuffed the kid in a somewhat cold but not unfriendly way, like you would with a stranger. If forced to have a relationship, it will turn to resentment. That phone call will be a chore, and the kid will hear it in his dads voice.

Furthermore, what would you say to a woman who put her kid up for adoption when she gave birth at 17? Does she owe her biological child a relationship 25 years later?

It would be nice, of course, if everyone was on the same page with reconnecting. But if that isn't the case, you can't force it. Or flip it! What if the dad sought out the son 16 years down the line and demanded a relationship. Would the kid owe his dad a monthly phone call? Of course not.
You're arguing a different question, though. The question isn't "Is it in this kids' best interest to talk to this biological dad?"

The question is "Is this biological dad an rear end in a top hat for treating the kid this way?"

It's quite possible to believe the answer to the first is "no" and the second is "yes"

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Motherfucker posted:

So you just... didn't gently caress in your twenties? like, do you know how sex and dating and stuff works? Its a two person thing generally.

Nobodies 'creating life' in their twenties while drunk.

He straight up told her "I don't want kids, I don't want kids with you, I don't want kids now" and she said "Ok, but I'm keeping it", that's the critical hand off. he chose not to be a parent. He will not be doing parenting for this child. Trying to make him do it now is an insane thing to do that is going to hurt the kid, the guy, the mother, everyone involved because it isn't going to animorph him into a good dad.

Honestly its a loving tragedy an in an ideal world they'd just get a legal, free abortion and cut back on the loving Jaeger but like, I don't get what yall think its gonna be like and how you think 'Force this BAD DADDY to be a parent' will work, like, you're all *for the children* 🥺 but you seem to think they're like a punishment that needs to be inflicted on this dude you hate for the sin of loving irresponsibly.
Calling people virgins for disagreeing with you. Stay classy, GBS.

Do you have any empathy at all for the kid caught up in all of this?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Motherfucker posted:

gently caress no dude, I'm ice cold. And my cold reptilian logic is thus: Nobody is benefiting from making bad dad be a part of this kids life, least of all said kid.

Like here's the plays in this book:

a) Kid succeeds in getting bio-dad to phone-hang and, by some miracle, bio-dad is chill, Kid is basically emotionally tormented by the fact that bio-dad is not going to give him what he wants and never will.

b) Bio-dad is forced into doing the bare minimum of socializing with the kid by some external force or guilt, now the kid is cornered by this living tower of bad vibes and regrets. This is worse, this is torture.

c) Kid takes the loving memo that his bio-dad is gone, grieves the relationship for a time, moves on with his life.

Play three is the best play, its the only play! A leads to C, B leads to C all roads lead to C, just take fuckin' C!
You're arguing that the bio-dad isn't a piece of poo poo by assuming that no matter what he is a piece of poo poo. Got it.

Also, don't quote this and add emotes to it inside the quotes. tia

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Theophany posted:

AITA for thinking they should've fixed the match in favour of the odds?
That was my first thought too. What kind of idiot MMA sports book allows betting on two sisters?

Also, bet against your mom. Either she wins and you're happy that she won, or you win a pile of a cash and can do something nice for her.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I still chuckle at the current title. Vote to keep it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

betaraywil posted:

There are lots of reasons that people and organizations sue other people and organizations. Some of those are spurious lawsuits from lovely neighbors, and some of those are spurious lawsuits from/against corporations. There are also legitimate lawsuits against people, organizations, and government entities. There are also lawsuits against people who carry insurance because the insurance company doesn't want to pay out because gently caress you that's why (and medical liability insurance is a major talking point from the tort-reform camp). These resolve in lots of ways (the threat of a lawsuit leading to an immediate settlement, ending up in arbitration, etc.) and the number of 39 million lawsuits turns out to contain very little information.

The point of the propaganda is to get you to focus on the spurious lawsuits from lovely neighbors and make it harder for reformers to communicate to citizens about the systemic abuses--things like insurance companies denying coverage because they save money by making the process as painful as possible, or binding arbitration clauses in phone contracts, or SLAPPs. All things that overwhelmingly benefit wealthy and established actors. There's an enormous framework manufacturing the consensus that the number of suits is the problem--that's part of the reason Judge Judy selects cases and litigants based on how petty they are, for example. But taking that consensus at face value requires taking American pop culture at face value, which is exactly like reading this thread and coming away with the impression that everyone is a philandering shedpisser.

(This is in addition to complementary systems in the policy arena arguing for tort reform in the Federalist Society Newsletter or whatever.)

You're completely right. The relevance is that our media apparatus carries water for those corporate interests both by exaggerating the number and severity of lovely-neighbor lawsuits (Judge Judy; Jim Carrey vehicle Liar, Liar) and minimizing the harms done by corporate actors (the McDonald's thing being the most famous). Those are complementary systems.
r/relationships: everyone is a philandering shedpisser.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

pentyne posted:

Not just that store, official corporate policy was to serve the coffee at ~190F or whatever (to mask the lovely cheap roast they used). McDonald's had repeatedly been warned about it by federal regulators but argued people mostly bought their coffee while on the way to work so it would sit for at least 10-15 minutes before drinking.
They made the coffee that hot so it would still be hot after people put their 37 refrigerated creamers or whatever in it. Woe be on the black coffee drinkers.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

its_my_birthday posted:

it's easier to be charming online
May God have mercy on us all.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is absolute horseshit. He used it because he was around a bunch of guys, then pretended not to know what it meant when he was called out anyway.
I don't know. I've known people this naive and people like to gently caress with them in this way. Teaching the naive guy a naughty word but telling him it means something innocuous is fun game!

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

ikanreed posted:

Give this man a medal. And his wife a hobby.

Amateur filmmaker is a perfectly fine hobby, tbf.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

RoboRodent posted:

Rats and their rate of cancer has more to do their extremely fast metabolisms than anything else. It's the flip side of growing fast, healing fast, living fast. Every cell division carries the risk of a fatal copy error, and rats accumulate these errors as they age (just like we do). Cancer is less a disease and more just an inevitable flaw in the way our bodies are put together. For rats, though, it's almost unheard for a wild rat to live longer than a year, because the rate of which things eat them is so goddamn high. There is effectively no evolutionary pressure to not turn into balls of tumours by age 2, because that's twice the expected lifespan of a wild rat. If you could live to 150, you'd probably be full of cancer by that point, too.

And it's not really possible to breed, well, anything for longer lifespans, since generally by the point you know what's going on with a rat and their tendency to live longer and cancer-free, they're too old to breed themselves and they probably have several generations of descendants.
Where are you getting this information? The average lifespawn of the brown Norway rat in the wild is 2 years. A geriatric rat in a lab setting is 3 years. They've been known to live to 7 years in lab settings.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pyrtanis posted:

first name is unisex and is more commonly a boys name these days, last name rhymes with bitch

why yes my K-12 years were hell why do you ask
Teen Witch?

Kidding. I have the most boring bland whitebread name imaginable, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Panfilo posted:

I think the phenomenon is called 'parentification', where an older sibling ends up being a kind of caregiver for a younger sibling. It's a common symptom of abusive households in particular
I hate to quibble, but I want to make this clear: Parentification is abuse. It's not just a symptom. It's sufficient by itself absent any other factors to be considered abuse.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I've noticed a trend where people who wait until later in life to have kids wind up having fewer and then pushing their kids to have as many kids as early as possible.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bruceski posted:

"Covid is not a problem here" is almost always "magical thinking prevents the spread of disease".
Counterpoint: "You're an rear end in a top hat for doing anything other than completely hunkering down" is boring and uninteresting to read about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pirate Radar posted:

“I’m not rich, I just have a lot of money” indicates that the person is doing the thing where the bar for being “rich” is always higher than whatever they happen to have, because they don’t want to think of themselves as rich.
Totally agree. Rich is like "old" or "alcoholic"