Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Need to play the game to decide if boyfriend’s priorities are in order or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That dril tweet has been adapted to so many stories. What was the weird obsession in the one you're thinking of?
I could have sworn I saw it with a couple (no kids) that bought like $700 in groceries every week and still ate out for dinner every night, so their "food budget" was like $3k of their total $5k monthly budget. I think they even initially totaled it up under "essentials" along with rent because hey everybody's got to eat right?

kaschei fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 18, 2020

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

But...but....he said he was in control of the situation!? How did tempting her with guitar music at his apartment not work?

Turns out he's the carbon copy

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

wizardofloneliness posted:

The old guy should’ve volunteered to move seats since he seemed to feel so bad about the kids’ flight getting ruined. I’m sure he had an extremely good reason for not doing so though of course.
Likely some person next to one of the kids offered to move to an aisle seat and the OP had an aisle seat

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

HardDiskD posted:

how is he accelerating

I’ve seen cats accelerate without having their feet on the ground many times, probably the same principle

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

“Unthawed” is a weird way to say “still frozen” or “thawed” and I’m not even sure which is intended

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

cumshitter posted:

"Tells the wait staff to sing me stupid, legally distinct birthday songs" should be valid grounds for divorce. Nobody likes it and it's cruel to everyone involved.
The "Happy Birthday" copyright was quashed years ago, the only reason to sing something else is to sap the last vestiges of joy from the occasion.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

The correct choice for veganhost is to stop serving meat altogether. Eating a vegetable for one meal won't kill these people.
That's another option that would be fine. The status quo is fine. Allowing people to be picky but not letting them use your "vegan" plates to do so is... fine. NTA at all, just not ecologically friendly, and it's something the host should explore if they're doing it for philosophical reasons or if it just feels gross but they can get over it (for the sake of being more hospitable or ecological).

But if they ultimately decide to only serve vegan food there's nothing hypocritical or exclusionary about letting people bring their own food and offering them temporary plates with which to eat it. Their guests are self-excluding from the vegan meal and plates and the host is accommodating that while maintaining the utensil purity that is important to them for whatever reason. IMO the actual reason isn't very important as long as it's not to specifically demean or exclude people.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

quote:

I said "Ok" and moved on with my life -- only to get a pretty nasty email from the company telling me that due to my inappropriate comments to the interviewer on the phone that day, they would ask me to please refrain from applying for a position with the company in the future.
This email was written by the lady that called

I mean: fake, companies don't call to say you didn't get hired these days

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

I would like to know why they were kicked out.

for paying the rent

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

See if you can get a BOGO deal on euthanasia

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You can't break up with me over this, that would be humiliating!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for buying my (28M) GF (29F) a lab made diamond ring without consulting her?
is this debeers marketing?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh, no, she makes that mistake regularly

Like, she just asked me about Ghost Leviathan's Galactus comment so I got to explain Galactus' origin

I am half-convinced she asks me these things because she knows I'll talk and talk and talk and she can just tune me out and know I'm entertaining myself for a while
That's what the pop quizzes are for!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I brought my "famous" boyfriend to my sister's wedding?
Make it a masquerade, problem solved!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my son it is his fault that there is tension between his girlfriend and the family?

My wife actually tried to bond with her. They went out to lunch and talked about it, and my wife was very honest that people sometimes say rear end in a top hat things when they have been drinking.
I'm sure that apology was super heartfelt. Yeah son, I meant every word but I was drinking when I told you so it's fine. This is your fault for letting your girlfriend know how I told you I feel.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Sillybones posted:

rear end in a top hat for what? Did anything happen here?
He sat for hours at a bar giving the stink eye to anyone his girlfriend smiled at and either getting progressively drunker or wasting a seat she could've been earning tips on (hard to say because the bar wasn't full but people aren't exactly eager to touch elbows right now).

If the bar isn't going for a "jealous bitter drunk" mood he killed the vibe and probably cost his girlfriend money while he watched her work when she was clearly not happy he was there

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

DreamingofRoses posted:

AITA for telling my niece she was a product of infidelity?
“Your parent isn’t your biological parent so they owe you nothing and you should be grateful for whatever scraps of respect they grant you” is a really lovely take that can ruin step, foster, and adoptive relationships. Being a parent never means being owed respect without earning it.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

She's not the rear end in a top hat for how she treats he children. She found something that works for them and that's great. But it's a fix that works because of her specific brain worms and preference to just find this one neat trick instead of actually working through whatever deeper issues are going on there. Which is fine, a lot of times making it work is more important than how or why it works, but she really shouldn't be giving advice to other stepmoms with different arrangements and expectations about her one neat trick.
It sounded like the other stepmom came to her for advice.

I don't think it's brain worms to try to make a step- relationship work and not get reciprocation and drive yourself up the wall trying to care for people who don't act is if they care for you. If the kids are older and live with mom 5/7ths of the time there's a lot she can't control and the therapist helped her find a way to deal with her situation.

It would be a mistake for anyone to think that that is the correct relationship between step-parents and children; it's no more than a strategy helping her cope with her circumstances. She may well have tried to overgeneralize her experience. It's a danger for anyone trying to give advice. Calling it "brain worms" makes it sound like the woman is uniquely diseased rather than adapting differently to different circumstances. The other mom is reacting in horror probably because the circumstances are so different and they should both reconsider whether they're trying to overlay their own response to the other's situation.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I appreciate that he gave his ex 6 months to get over it. That’s pretty generous IMO.
And waited -3 months after separating before impregnating his new woman

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

:actually: don't you mean your vulva razor?

AITA for not telling my roommate about my “vag*na razor”
Sharing razors is functionally more intimate than open mouth kissing or using someone else’s toothbrush. It’s akin to sharing a needle, you can get hepatitis and other blood diseases.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I’m cu

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

what accepted medical use is there for the red pill?!
it can cause brain death up to 60 years before clinical death occurs

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Did the icon change too? I’m imagining a poster maker trying to illustrate what their missing piglet might look like today. Does your sandwich taste like piglet? Answers to “Paris.” Call 555-6789

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

People really confidently putting more than the disposable portion of their income into posters for missing non traditional pets?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

that poor kid :smith:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I can barely tell the semitic jews from the other types, I'm gonna get kicked out of this country club for sure

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

posts like this justify feeling all the other terrible emotions this thread inspires

sullat posted:

Oates stood up and said, "I am going outside, I may be some time." He struggled with the tent flaps in the cold, and then slipped off into the ice field. A few moments passed. Scott turned to Wilson and said, "finally some time alone" as he unbuttoned his parka.

this one too

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Barudak posted:

The only reason I learned trig was because before smartphone apps did the work for you it was necessary for appropriately aiming your man-portable mortar launcher.

I’m pretty sure this launched Napoleon’s career

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

There are definitely bad ways to ask someone to train their replacement even if the retirement is entirely voluntary.

As written Daniel sounds unreasonably touchy about it, but if the retirement came on the heels of a refused pay raise or another negotiation like that, it’s going to be grating to spend 6 weeks training the guy willing to do your job for less.

Also training someone while keeping your work up can more than double your workload. Just dumping 6 weeks’ extra duties on someone for giving more than 2 weeks’ notice, I’d be mad, too.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

teen witch posted:

Hi I spoiled the worst part because I loving FELT it. I physically felt the post and I want to vomit and murder the husband

if possible at the same time

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

deety posted:

Lol at the guy who thinks that the bartenders shaming folks for bad behavior is a bigger deal than the actual bad behavior.

Small town rumor mills can absolutely be lovely and unfair. But acting like enough of a hothead to earn a bad rep in your local bar is a little different than some nosy neighbors stirring the pot. You can't mistreat people and then expect them to keep that to themselves.
I think you'll find I was paying to be drunk and thus deserve to be insulated from the consequences of my actions by my protected status as both a patron and drunk person

Can you imagine how people would treat me if they knew how I acted in a small town's public space? Not cool.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

“Insisting” your child visit then charging rent are insane tactics to encourage the wayward child to return to live conveniently close by, just by adding to the hassle of not doing so.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

That reads exactly like a description of drama on a MUD decades ago

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Our family motto is “Arbeit macht frei”

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

kntfkr posted:

Replace the word anxiety with autism. This person has no EQ and can't recognize or follow simple social norms.

They clearly state they know they are transgressing, they excuse their behavior as that of a sick person not as that of someone who doesn’t know the rules they are breaking.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Little bit of an rear end in a top hat for starting the argument in front of the kids but it sounds like their mother had squandered opportunities to address it head on.

And a thousand sad lols at having “I want to sleep in my bed! With my wife!” answered by “you get to sleep in the big boy race car bed all by yourself” by your wife

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

She absolutely saw her son doing his own laundry and noticed that there weren’t as many underwear as she expected, possibly he spent a week at home in the summer and didn’t have any underwear to clean.

Assuming stains are the issue means ignoring her reference to not making the daughter wear a bra. This isn’t a cleanliness issue, it’s that she’s uncomfortable around her freeballing son and unable to justify it relative to being fine with a daughter not wearing a bra in similar circumstances.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Edit: nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

good luck getting an old lady to stop manipulating children
She knows all the Jewish mother tricks and the Catholic mom tricks. She is unstoppable without direct confrontation.