Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Welcome welcome, my Punchsport Peeps. My Wrestlehut Horde. My Rowdy Rabble. It’s been quite an exciting year for us, hasn’t it? First we took the time to consider our top 10 current favourite wrestlers. Then we all enjoyed our bi-annual WH-128256 where today’s best and brightest competed in a knockout tournament to claim the title of best wrestler in 2019. But the fun doesn’t stop there, my friends! No, now we’re going to go deeper and harder than we’ve ever gone before. Let the debate be firmly settled for over the next 100 days we will decide who is the GOAT. 101 entrants have been selected from all over the world. Men and women representing all different styles, different eras, different promotions but only one can take the prize of the highest acclaim. Who is the Greatest of All Time?

How Does This Work?

This contest will be run under Survivor rules. Every day will be a 24 hour voting period during which you vote for the wrestler you deem least deserving of the title of the GOAT. Deadlines will be at 12:00pm GMT time. Vote switching is allowed, to do this make a new post giving the name of your previous vote and the name you would like to switch to. In the event of a tie we transition to sudden death with the first person to add a vote gets the final say. Please write your vote in bold to help me with tallying them up. Day by day we will knock contenders out of the competition so that just one remains, Something Awful’s Greatest of All Time!

How Come “X” Isn’t On The List?

As previously stated this list has been purposefully selected to be diverse representation of wrestling covering a cross-section of all times and all eras. Therefore a bunch of white dudes who may otherwise be under consideration have been cut to ensure that there is a good selection of lucha, puro, joshi and even garbage wrestling. Beyond that entrants were chosen under the following considerations:
  • All entrants must have held the top title for the promotion they represent (at least Tomohiro Ishii can’t come second this time!)
  • Due to the strict division between weight classes in NJPW the IWGP Junior title is considered a top title (we can’t have this discussion without Liger!). Similar rules have been applied to Mexico’s lucha promotions and World of Sport.
  • All entrants must be considered good workers (no Hulk Hogans allowed!)
  • No, we’re not doing Benoit
With these in mind I put together this lis. If you’re not happy that someone is on this list then use the power of your vote to get them kicked off. So without any further ado…

The Contenders

WWE

AJ Lee
Becky Lynch
Brock Lesnar
Bob Backlund
Bret Hart
Bruno Sammartino
Charlotte
CM Punk
Daniel Bryan
Eddie Guerrero
Edge
John Cena
Kevin Owens
Kurt Angle
Mick Foley
Randy Savage
Rey Mysterio
Sasha Banks
Seth Rollins
Shawn Michaels
Steve Austin
The Rock
Triple H
Trish Stratus
Undertaker

NXT

Adam Cole
Asuka
Bayley
Finn Balor
Sami Zayn
Samoa Joe

NXT UK

Pete Dunne

WCW

Booker T
Diamond Dallas Page
Dusty Rhodes
Goldberg
Ric Flair
Ricky Steamboat
Sting

ECW

Raven
Rob Van Dam
Terry Funk

AEW

Chris Jericho
Riho

TNA

AJ Styles
Awesome Kong
Christian Cage

IMPACT

Johnny Impact

ROH

Christopher Daniels
Cody
Nigel McGuinness

CZW

Jon Moxley

NWA

Lou Thesz
Mildred Burke

AWA

Curt Hennig
Nick Bockwinkel

HASA

Harley Race

NJPW

Antonio Inoki
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Jushin "Thunder" Liger
Kazuchika Okada
Keiji Mutoh
Kenny Omega
Masahiro Chono
Riki Choshu
Shinsuke Nakamura
Shinya Hashimoto
Tetsuya Naito
Will Ospreay
Yuji Nagata

AJPW

Akira Taue
Giant Baba
Kenta Kobashi
Minoru Suzuki
Mitsuharu Misawa
Stan Hansen
Toshiaki Kawada

DG

CIMA
PAC
Shingo Takagi

DDT

Harashima
Kota Ibushi

NOAH

KENTA

Toryumon

Ultimo Dragon

JWA

Rikidozan

CMLL

Carístico
Negro Casas

AAA

Fénix

EMLL

El Santo

WWA

Mil Máscaras
Perro Aguayo

LU

Pentagon Dark

RevPro

Zack Sabre Jr

WOS

Johnny Saint

wXw

WALTER

STARDOM

Io Shirai
Kairi Hojo

AJW

Chigusa Nagayo
Manami Toyota

GAEA Japan

Aja Kong

Sendai Girls

Meiko Satomura

SHIMMER

Mercedes Martinez
Sara Del Ray

(Big thanks to MassRafTer who helped out with recommendations for this list. Sorry I didn’t use all of your suggestions!)

How Are We Defining Greatness?

Well that’s the thing, isn’t it? Greatness is a subject term. Is it based on your portfolio of matches? Is it legendary mic skills? The money you drew? The titles you held? Your Meltzer ratings? The wrestlers you inspired through your career? The concept of greatness is left to the voter to define. My hope is that this will lead to lots of exciting discussion as we evaluate the merits of various wrestlers! :D

The contest is now open and round 1 voting has begun. Deadline is 12:00pm GMT on Tuesday 14th January!

The Results

101. Seth Rollins
100. Charlotte
99. Triple H
98. Pete Dunne
97. Undertaker
96. Johnny Impact
95. AJ Lee
94. Rob Van Dam
93. Trish Stratus
92. WALTER
91. Adam Cole
90. Sasha Banks
89. Bayley
88. Raven
87. Riho
86. Harashima
85. Finn Bálor
84. Diamond Dallas Page
83. Brock Lesnar
82. Christian Cage
81. Goldberg
80. Christopher Daniels
79. Nigel McGuinness
78. Sami Zayn
77. Mercedes Martinez
76. Booker T
75. Cody
74. Awesome Kong
73. Curt Hennig
72. Kevin Owens
71. Becky Lynch
70. Bob Backlund
69. Jon Moxley Ryusuke Taguchi
68. Edge
67. Sting
66. Pentagón Dark
65. Mil Máscaras
64. Will Ospreay
63. Randy Savage
62. AJ Styles
61. Antonio Inoki
60. Kairi Hojo
59. Fénix
58. Sara Del Rey
57. Masahiro Chono
56. CM Punk
55. Johnny Saint
54. PAC
53. Zack Sabre Jr.
52. Shawn Michaels
51. Io Shirai
51B. Asuka

Rarity fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Great thread idea!

Please dump out Charlotte first. I don't even dislike Charlotte, but she's the "worst" on this list!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 13, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh yeah :siren: please also put your votes in bold :siren: Thank you!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

On the basis of this list (and not voting for people I don't recognise) I'm going to say Charlotte. She's moderate in the ring, not very good on the mic, it's immediately possible to tell if she's going to win or lose by whether or not she's crying, and the only money she's drawn is based on her dad's name. I don't actively dislike her, but she stands out as someone who isn't world class in any given category.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Sami Zayn

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'll join the Charlotte dogpile. She is arguably only the 3rd most entertaining performer in her own family.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChrisBTY posted:

She is arguably only the 3rd most entertaining performer in her own family.

Come on now, David Flair's not that good

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
No Kenny no vote :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

No Kenny no vote :colbert:

Kenny is on the list!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rarity posted:

Come on now, David Flair's not that good

Charlotte is better but I probably got more entertainment out of David smashing a baby grand than I have out of Charlotte's whole career.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Is this going to end up ranked or are we just knocking them off one-by-one until we have the GOAT?

Regardless of that, Charlotte Flair

In light of the new Rollins shirt, I’m changing my vote to Seth Rollins

Amp fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 14, 2020

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Johnny Impact. I’ve just never been a huge fan, and Charlotte is good if overpushed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The order of elimination will end up making a list counting down from 101 to 1, yes.

Just to keep things interesting I'm going to make an argument for an alternative by voting for Seth Rollins. Both of his runs as the main guy on Raw have been abject failures, he can't promo to save his life and his persona is so whiny and obnoxious that it essentially forced WWE to turn him heel. He's become the third most likable member of the Shield and no one would have ever thought that a couple of years ago.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I think Charlotte is a bit better than Johnny Impact. I don't hate him but he doesn't really belong in a GOAT conversation either.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I might cop flack for this one so early but Rob Van Dam

Dude never really grew from where he was this spectacular game-changer in ECW and generally phones it in and that's not getting into the fact that he had a tendency to hurt he was wrestling with thanks to not pulling his kicks.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Trish Stratus

Just looked good because of the era she was active in was absolute dogshit for US TV women's wrestling.

Rather than start a new post, here are some of the more egregious absences that would have qualified under the harshly arbitrary rules that I'd have included before Trish Stratus

Jumbo Tsuruta is the most obvious one that stands out. Definitely a lot of 80s & 90s Japan & Mexico names missing: Shinya Hashimoto, Hiroshi Hase, Kensuke Sasaki who held the top belt for all 3 of NJPW, AJPW & NOAH, Tatsumi Fujinami who was both Jr & Heavyweight champ for NJPW, , Genichiro Tenryu, Akira Taue, Jun Akiyama, Shinjiro Ohtani. And more modern guys as well like Naomichi Marufuji, Kento Miyahara, YAMATO from Dragongate.

There's also Joshi & while there are definitely people better qualified than me on that topic, Bull Nakano, Akira Hokuto, Megumi Kudo, & from the Shimmer scene I'd say Cheerleader & MsChef were both huge parts of the US womens scene back then.

Ted DiBiase. Jerry Lawler. Jack Briscoe.

My point is I'm not a big fan of Trish.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 13, 2020

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
A few of those njpw names going in ahead of Hashimoto is a bit weird imo.

Still like 99 percent of the list is ludicrous so a.j lee because she is first on the list and had a kind of decent run.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Trish Stratus

Basically only seems special because she was "pretty bad" rather than "utterly terrible" like every other woman in the WWE around that time (excepting Lita). Some of it was the era possibly not letting her show more, but even accounting for that I don't think there's much there.

And I would echo that a lot of the list seems like they should be nowhere near a greatest list. But if that's the case they'll likely be weeded out early.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
Another vote for Trish Stratus. She wasn't even the best wrestler in her era, in her division, let alone of all time. Charlotte is over-pushed but she can pull off good matches with the right people. One of those people was not Trish Stratus.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it is really drat funny that some of the white guys not taken off the list were christian and john morrison

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

The Undertaker should get the hell out of here. This is no place for white supremacists.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Christian Cage should not have made this list and therefore should be the first person taken off it

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Sticky Nate posted:

The Undertaker should get the hell out of here. This is no place for white supremacists.

Seconded. Bin The Undertaker.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Christian Cage but he ain't even the greatest member of his breakout tag team, never mind of all time.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

The order of elimination will end up making a list counting down from 101 to 1, yes.

Just to keep things interesting I'm going to make an argument for an alternative by voting for Seth Rollins. Both of his runs as the main guy on Raw have been abject failures, he can't promo to save his life and his persona is so whiny and obnoxious that it essentially forced WWE to turn him heel. He's become the third most likable member of the Shield and no one would have ever thought that a couple of years ago.

I'm seconding this, Seth Rollins. His champ runs have all been awful and his most recent highlight is getting dunked on Twitter by Will Ospreay of all people. He's not likable in ring or out of ring and his career peak is the time Kevin Owens jumped him in the middle of his hardcore dance on the indies.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Seth Rollins

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
until I got to right at the bottom where you have my top choice and other great women you were about to get cancelled but you're fine now!

Adam Cole is not someone that should ever been called great and I think he should go away first

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Riho is my vote for least deserving

edit: didn't bold, fixed now

Eat My Fuc fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 13, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eat My Fuc posted:

Riho is my vote for least deserving

Please remember to bold your answers!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Its rob van drat, and wtf no jun akiyama.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Also a vote for noted moron Rob Van Dam

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm going to second Seth Rollins, but I'm also going to note that I'm bummed Marufuji isn't on here.

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
Robert Van drat

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

christopher daniels

i really hate the SCU entrance shtick & cannot in good conscience vote against the nxt people at this early stage because i have never seen most of them work

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oh but seriously I posted:

christopher daniels

i really hate the SCU entrance shtick & cannot in good conscience vote against the nxt people at this early stage because i have never seen most of them work

Daniels in SCU is dude at the end of his career, it's not really fair to judge him on that. He debuted in 1996! I'd really recommend catching his stuff in early ROH and TNA.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
AJ Lee probably has the least impressive resume here, IMO.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Charlotte. She only got pushed because of her last name.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Seth Rollins

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Disgusted that Earthquake isn't on this list.

Charlotte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gavok posted:

Disgusted that Earthquake isn't on this list.

You missed the bit where I said they must have held at least one top-tier title.

Also he sucks :colbert: