Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So the nominations are out, and not seeing a lot of love for The Lighthouse or Uncut Gems while an outpouring for Joker and Once Upon a Time.

I ran the voting portal at http://crucialweb.net/oscars/ last year and there were a few amusing results, so I've loaded all the data in for this one. Feel free to start voting!

Everything is scrubbed from last year, so you'll need to make a new login (it literally just asks for a name and password, no need to verify but don't lose the PW as there's no reset - you'll need it if you want to edit, or see how your scores compare).

To join the Something Awful group the password is 'iamprotected', of course.

The nominations are...

Best Picture

Ford vs. Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Little Women
Joker
Marriage Story
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Parasite

Best Director

Martin Scorsese, The Irishman
Todd Philips, Joker
Sam Mendes, 1917
Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Bong Joon-ho, Parasite

Best Actor

Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Adam Driver, Marriage Story
Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

Best Actress

Cynthia Erivo, Harriet
Scarlett Johansson, Marriage Story
Saoirse Ronan, Little Women
Charlize Theron, Bombshell
Renee Zellweger, Judy

Supporting Actor

Tom Hanks, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Anthony Hopkins, The Two Popes
Al Pacino, The Irishman
Joe Pesci, The Irishman
Brad Pitt, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Supporting Actress

Kathy Bates, Richard Jewell
Laura Dern, Marriage Story
Scarlett Johannsson, Jojo Rabbit
Florence Pugh, Little Women
Margot Robbie, Bombshell

Adapted Screenplay

Stephen Zaillian, The Irishman
Taika Waititi, Jojo Rabbit
Todd Phillips & Scott Silver, Joker
Gret Gerwig, Little Women
Anthony McCarten, The Two Popes

Best Original Screenplay
Rian Johnson, Knives Out
Noah Baumbach, Marriage Story
Sam Mendes, 1917
Quentin Tarantino, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Bong Joon-Ho, Parasite

Best Animated Feature

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
I Lost My Body
Klaus
Missing Link
Toy Story 4

International Feature Film

Corpus Christi
Honeyland
Pain and Glory
Parasite

Best Documentary

American Factory
The Cave
Honeyland

Best Cinematography

The Irishman
Joker
The Lighthouse

Best Costume Design

The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women

Film Editing

Ford vs. Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Parasite

Makeup and Hairstyling

Bombshell
Joker
Judy
Maleficent

Original Score

Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Original Song

I Can’t Let You Throw Yourself Away, Toy Story 4
I’m Gonna Love You Again
Into the Unknown, Frozen 2
Stand Up, Harriet

Production Design

The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Parasite

Sound Editing

Ford v Ferrari
Joker

Sound Mixing

Ad Astra
Ford v Ferrari
Joker

Visual Effects

Avengers: Endgame
The Irishman
The Lion King

Documentary (Short Subject)

In the Absence
Learning to Skateboard in a War Zone If You’re a Girl
Life Overtakes Me
St. Louis Superman
Walk, Run, Cha-Cha

Short Film (Animated)

Dcera (Daughter)
Hair Love
Kitbull
Memorable
Sister

Short Film (Live Action)

Brotherhood
Nefta Football Club
The Neighbors’ Window
Saria
A Sister

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ThePopHub/status/1216719707971235840

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, that’s amazing and In a year of good pictures by women will undoubtedly be picked up on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Was Ford v. Ferrari actually any good? It looked like a standard by the numbers biopic to me.

Happy to see The Lighthouse get at least one nomination, although I think Dafoe deserved one too.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

cats was robbed

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I expect Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to win big because it has "Hollywood" in its name. Jojo Rabbit possibly because it's set in WW2. Not seeing a lot of "makes Academy voters feel good about themselves" movies this year.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Basebf555 posted:

Was Ford v. Ferrari actually any good? It looked like a standard by the numbers biopic to me.

Yeah it was fine but doesn’t deserve a best picture nom. If you’ve seen Rush you don’t need to see it, and once Ron Howard has made the genre picture for that niche you really don’t need to do another unless you go completely wild with it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
am I going to have to actually watch Joker? I'm just....I've seen clips, and I feel like it's the universe loving with me. especially seeing all those nominations. Human minds are broken, is my conclusion.

at least Parasite did well. I mean, surely they could have saved a spot in Supporting Actor for Song Kang-ho, but whatever.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

It was exactly that. The races were shot pretty well, but I don't think that makes it worth seeing.

Spatula City posted:

am I going to have to actually watch Joker? I'm just....I've seen clips, and I feel like it's the universe loving with me. especially seeing all those nominations. Human minds are broken, is my conclusion.

Joaquin Phoenix really does live up to the hype, but my problem with the movie is that I think he's the only actor in the whole movie who really even bothers acting. In a sense, that might be intentional, particularly when it comes to Zazie Beetz's character who isn't actually a real person, since the movie has a continuing theme of Arthur's growing solipsism, but it doesn't make for a great movie, imo.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 13, 2020

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I expect Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to win big because it has "Hollywood" in its name. Jojo Rabbit possibly because it's set in WW2. Not seeing a lot of "makes Academy voters feel good about themselves" movies this year.

Jojo won’t win anything because 1917 is already a World War film and has more prestige attached to it, and I’d argue OUaTiH actually is a “makes Academy voters feel good about themselves” movie, which is why I think it’s a lock for Best Picture.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

pospysyl posted:

It was exactly that. The races were shot pretty well, but I don't think that makes it worth seeing.

In the movie Henry Ford II is portrayed as a stodgy crotchety old man who can't handle fast cars and Christian Bale's character is portrayed as a man who, though middle aged, is in the prime of his life and at the peak of his physical and mental abilities. In real life these two were only five years apart in age. This fact means that Ford v Ferrari is a minutely subtle critique of the erosive power of capitalism and greed on the human organism and the self actualizing nature of following one's dreams. It's a brilliant film.

Or it's a loving stupid bog standard biopic type movie with all the subtlety sanded down.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Jojo won’t win anything because 1917 is already a World War film and has more prestige attached to it, and I’d argue OUaTiH actually is a “makes Academy voters feel good about themselves” movie, which is why I think it’s a lock for Best Picture.

Yeah Jojo is a little too flippant to be the kind of World War movie the Academy goes for, and "by makes Academy voters feel good about themselves" I'm thinking of Crash and Green Book. Being about the movie business makes Once Upon a Time an incredibly strong contender.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah Jojo is a little too flippant to be the kind of World War movie the Academy goes for, and "by makes Academy voters feel good about themselves" I'm thinking of Crash and Green Book. Being about the movie business makes Once Upon a Time an incredibly strong contender.

It has the Scorsese/DiCaprio factor attached to it too in that Tarantino is an industry staple who’s never won big.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

So only two PoC were nominated for the major awards (Cynthia Erivio for Best Actress and Bong Joon-Ho for Best Director). Here's a list of who I consider snubbed.

Actresses: Awkwafina (The Farewell), J. Lo (Hustlers)

Actors: Eddie Murphy (Dolemite is My Name), anyone from Parasite. I know Murphy's blacklisted for being a poor sport, but how is he blacklisted while Polanski and Allen aren't?

Directors: Lulu Wang (The Farewell), Taika Watiti (Jojo Rabbit).

As for more general snubs, obviously the two actors in The Lighthouse were deserving, and Uncut Gems should have been nominated for Best Picture. Other than that, though, I think there were actually very few snubs in the major categories. Swap out the two popes for Dafoe and Pattinson, Haynes for Wang, and Zellweger for Awkwafina and I'd be very happy.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 13, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

Its definitely worth seeing, it's a very nice looking movie with an excellent lead performance. That said, I don't think it's even close to Phoenix's best performance(The Master and You Were Never Really Here are both better) and with all the attention it's garnered I can't help but think it's a bit overrated. And my instinct going into it was definitely correct, it was a very good character piece about a character who really did not need to be The Joker aside from budgetary concerns(obviously it's harder to get money from a studio for this kind of film when it's not connected to comics or some wider "universe").

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Greta Gerwig was mostly snubbed too.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Pretty surprised at how badly Uncut Gems got snubbed.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
Bombshell really? That Fox News pean gets this much love? Did they just want to guarantee the famous actresses will show up? If so that's a bush league Golden Globes move.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Uncut Gems was absolutely robbed for acting, directing, soundtrack, and sound design

I'm especially annoyed that Star Wars got a best soundtrack nom and Gems didn't. 99% of the music from Skywalker is directly reprised from 30-40 years ago and the new stuff is absolutely phoned in

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm just glad they didn't pull a Return of the King and decided that this was the time for Star Wars to be nominated for everything.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Very bummed the Farewell didn't get anything. Shuzhen Zhao or Awkafina should have been nominated for acting, at the very least. It's also a weird year for Best Picture. Having seen all of them, Parasite is far and away what I consider to be the best movie. I enjoyed Ford v Ferrari a lot, but I wouldn't really call it elevated cinema or award worthy, and yet it's probably the film I enjoyed 2nd most out of the rest of the nominees. Also really bummed that Willem Dafoe wasn't nominated for much this award season for the Lighthouse.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
was Her Smell eligible this year or would that have been last year? either way Elizabeth Moss was robbed of a Best Actress nomination

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 13, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress the academy.

They better give poo poo to parasite. Or even the joker. gently caress it

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Would have liked to see Us get some love. At least a nomination for Lupita Nyong'o. Could have taken Theron's place for leading actress.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I literally haven’t seen any of the movies of the best actresses category. Like what the hell I’d going on over there lol

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
11 nominations for Joker, fuckin lol. Phoenix deserves the best actor nod and I guess I can see cinematography, but Best Picture and Best Director? :what:

I don't think it is a bad movie really but there are at least 10 other films I'd put on the list before it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’ll be really upset if 1917 wins anything.

Also dark waters got snubbed. loving marriage story are you serious. Also idc if joker gets a lot of nominations. I think there’s movies on here that make zero sense. Like Jojo rabbit. Like for real

They literally hosed over uncut gems for no reason.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Really surprised that Greta Gerwig got snubbed.

I still need to see, The Farewell, Joker, Jojo Rabbit and 1917. Other than that I've seen everything (I dont think I care about FvF)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Apollo 11 had the best soundtrack of last year. The academy is a joke(r).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

pospysyl posted:

Actors: Eddie Murphy (Dolemite is My Name), anyone from Parasite. I know Murphy's blacklisted for being a poor sport, but how is he blacklisted while Polanski and Allen aren't?

Roman Polanski actually is literally blacklisted: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48021540

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They literally hosed over uncut gems for no reason.

It honestly boils down to: the academy is mostly elderly men, and Uncut Gems has loud music and a lot of swear words. Films for grandpas win Oscars, which is why 1917 is all over this list

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

bows1 posted:

Really surprised that Greta Gerwig got snubbed.

Same. I definitely wouldn't expect her to win because of all the big established names in best director this year but it's a huge bummer she couldn't even get a nom.

She definitely deserves it more than Todd Philips lmao

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Road Trip is a more interesting movie with more complicated ideas than Joker.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The Gerwig disrespect is a standout. Wow.

Faster
Oct 5, 2007
I rarely have an emotional reaction to Oscar nominations but Apollo 11 but not getting a nod is pretty disappointing and surprising given the critical reception and box office performance.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Yo what the gently caress?!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Visual Effects

Avengers: Endgame

The Irishman

The Lion King

Nothing for Alita: Battle Angel but loving Endgame gets a nod?!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I literally haven’t seen any of the movies of the best actresses category. Like what the hell I’d going on over there lol

That seems to happen a lot and likely speaks to a broad trend of female led movies not receiving as much mainstream acclaim.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Faster posted:

I rarely have an emotional reaction to Oscar nominations but Apollo 11 but not getting a nod is pretty disappointing and surprising given the critical reception and box office performance.

Documentary is the most corrupt Oscar outside of maybe original song. The fact that a doc has never been nominated for best picture lays bare their impression that it's an inferior practice.

Even so, you're right, it's kind of shocking not to see it there.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

A lot of snubs, obviously, but I can't think of anything more egregious than Uncut Gems being left out of Cinematography and Sound Mixing. Almost as bad as Hawke's snub last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aces High posted:

Yo what the gently caress?!

Nothing for Alita: Battle Angel but loving Endgame gets a nod?!

lol, the eyes were too big for the awards