Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Now that the Awards are over, can we make our lists of what would have won in a better alternate universe?

Best Supporting Actor
Al Pacino, The Irishman

Best Animated Feature
Missing Link

Best Original Screenplay
Jimmy Fails, The Last Black Man in San Francisco

Best Adapted Screenplay
Greta Gerwig, Little Women

Best Production Design
Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

Best Costume Design
Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

Best Documentary Feature
Honeyland

Best Supporting Actress
Laura Dern, Marriage Story

Best Sound Editing
Alita: Battle Angel

Best Sound Mixing
Uncut Gems

Best Cinematography
Long Day's Journey Into Night

Best Editing
Parasite

Best Visual Effects

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Best International Feature Film
Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Best Original Score
Uncut Gems

Best Original Song

Best Director
Bong Joon Ho, Parasite

Best Actor
Willem Dafoe, The Lighthouse

Best Actress
Julia Fox, Uncut Gems

Best Picture
Uncut Gems

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Best Actor
Willem Dafoe, Parasite

Willem Dafoe was so good in Parasite that I couldn't even tell which character he played!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Cacator posted:

Willem Dafoe was so good in Parasite that I couldn't even tell which character he played!

They must have hired the makeup people from Cloud Atlas

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Cacator posted:

He was the Parasite

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Willem Dafoe was the invisible personification of capitalism. He was in every scene but wore a green Lycra bodysuit and was made invisible in post

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cacator posted:

lol, posting before coffee :suicide:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

lol, posting before coffee :suicide:
Better not have had any milk in that coffee.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Raxivace posted:

Better not have had any milk in that coffee.

They didn’t have to hear the unmistakable shrieks of the mother cow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My heart is so full of warmth watching youtubes of Oscar viewing parties cheering Parasite’s wins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6D7eo66pII

“Is Parasite that good?”
Everybody else: “YES”

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Missing Link should have definitely won Best Animated. loving Oscars.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Missing Link should have definitely won Best Animated. loving Oscars.

Agreed. I got to take a private tour of Laika last summer and the Missing Link sets and models were astoundingly complex.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Was it good? I’d heard it was the worst Laika movie

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

General Dog posted:

Boxtrolls is the worst but it is near last place imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

General Dog posted:

It's good! It's aimed less at kids than their previous flicks. The problem is that it was extremely expensive to make and made all of like 5 bux. The girl giving the tour said that it was a wake up call and that Laika had finally decided to hire a comprehensive marketing director. :lol:

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Now that the Awards are over, can we make our lists of what would have won in a better alternate universe?

The Irishman should have won everything it was nominated for.

Especially Pesci, I mean what the gently caress.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

pospysyl posted:

Hopefully the Oscar's will never have a host again.

Host...host...The Host...*snaps fingers* I've got it! Bong Joon-ho for next year.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

coronavirus posted:

At the end of the day, The Departed winning isn't a tragedy. It was a very good movie with 1st rate actors and a 1st rate director with a good story. Its not a travesty of a best picture win like Shakespare in Love or Chicago or Braveheart.

Thin Red Line, Babe and I guess The Hours maybe would be my picks those years. I don't think any of those are as big a joke as Crash or Green Book though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Prince Myshkin posted:

Host...host...The Host...*snaps fingers* I've got it! Bong Joon-ho for next year.
The Host for Host

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Prince Myshkin posted:

Thin Red Line, Babe and I guess The Hours maybe would be my picks those years. I don't think any of those are as big a joke as Crash or Green Book though.

What? Babe? Babe.... the pig movie? Am I being whooshed here?

Braveheart's year had Usual Suspects,Leaving Las Vegas,Seven and Apollo 13. Hell, Toy Story was also that year and is a much better kids movie. Those are all remarkably better movies than Babe.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

coronavirus posted:

What? Babe? Babe.... the pig movie? Am I being whooshed here?

Braveheart's year had Usual Suspects,Leaving Las Vegas,Seven and Apollo 13. Hell, Toy Story was also that year and is a much better kids movie. Those are all remarkably better movies than Babe.

I was pulling from the nominees. It's not my number 1 from that year but Babe is a very good movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I remember that Oscars night as that was during my freshman year at college & we were in the dorms watching it like a bunch of dorks. We got a small group chanting for Babe to win best picture.

Somehow I thought George Miller was involved with the 1st one but he didn't come on until Babe: Pig in the City.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The Babe movies are low key amazing hth.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
What is this world I live in where anyone would just casually call Braveheart or Babe bad

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kull the Conqueror posted:

What is this world I live in where anyone would just casually call Braveheart or Babe bad

Honestly I'd be more offended by someone calling Babe bad. Braveheart is fine but also kinda boring and doesn't really bring anything new to the table as far as historical epics go. The thing that got it the most attention was really the brutal violence, aside from that it's pretty standard and doesn't do much that's unexpected.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I enjoyed Braveheart just fine, but I've never felt the need to ever watch it again.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
As much as the narrative is conventional, it's really tightly composed, and on top of that it's so gloriously, unapologetically bombastic and anachronistic that it becomes this unforgettable history theme park ride. I remember Last of the Mohicans more fondly out of the 90s candle-lit long-haired freedom fighter genre, but Braveheart is the big expensive apex that encapsulates its era so well. It makes perfect sense that the industry would recognize it and I'm glad it did

e: This scene is where it's at. It's got so much great technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KdjUNIcP8k

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 13, 2020

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I remember that Oscars night as that was during my freshman year at college & we were in the dorms watching it like a bunch of dorks. We got a small group chanting for Babe to win best picture.

Somehow I thought George Miller was involved with the 1st one but he didn't come on until Babe: Pig in the City.

I'm pretty sure he produced it, and may have had a hand in the screenplay.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Black Lighter posted:

I'm pretty sure he produced it, and may have had a hand in the screenplay.

Looking at his IMDB he did have producer & screenwriter credits for Babe.

Neat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I remember Siskel and Ebert pleading for people to watch it because it was so good and ticket sales were so bad

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it did $250 million in 1995 dollars. it was a huge movie

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh I should have been more clear, they were pleading for people to watch Babe 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Prince Myshkin posted:

I was pulling from the nominees. It's not my number 1 from that year but Babe is a very good movie.

Android Apocalypse posted:

He was heavily involved with the first one, he just didn't direct.

Pig in the City is perhaps the best childrens film ever made. It's also gloriously leftist and has a Mad Max style centerpiece chase scene that features dogs instead of cars.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

zenintrude posted:

My problem with MoM (and some of Bongs other films) have been that they didn’t find the right balance - or perhaps mixture - of seriousness and goofiness... there are points in MoM that border on Keystone Cops despite the overarching subject matter being dark/serious. Felt like I was experiencing whiplash.

Parasite seemed to solve that.

That's just a broader feature in Korean film and tv generally.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it did $250 million in 1995 dollars. it was a huge movie

Lol adjusted for inflation it did as well as Frozen II. With an inflation-adjusted budget 1/3 the size.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

He was heavily involved with the first one, he just didn't direct.

Pig in the City is perhaps the best childrens film ever made. It's also gloriously leftist and has a Mad Max style centerpiece chase scene that features dogs instead of cars.

I actually never saw it because even as a kid it looked like a cheap cash-in sequel to me. Should rectify that soon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Prince Myshkin posted:

I actually never saw it because even as a kid it looked like a cheap cash-in sequel to me. Should rectify that soon.

It's like Mad Max crossed with Triplets of Belleville. It's extremely rad, carnivalesqe, and super emotional. It should be the foundational text for how to introduce children to film. No joke.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I'd be more offended by someone calling Babe bad. Braveheart is fine but also kinda boring and doesn't really bring anything new to the table as far as historical epics go. The thing that got it the most attention was really the brutal violence, aside from that it's pretty standard and doesn't do much that's unexpected.

Historical epics were dead when Braveheart was released, and nobody was making 3 hour movies. Braveheart paved the way for things like Titanic and really is what allowed movies to be 3 hours again because it was so well received.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I remember my parents and grandparents liking the Babe movies as much as us kids did :3:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Someone should remake Braveheart and this time actually set the battle of Stirling Bridge on a bridge instead of a field

And of course basing it on the ridiculous and dramatised version by Blind Harry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
And have the scots where armor instead of the whole noble savage thing