Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Finally saw Hustlers and it really is a better Goodfellas than The Irishman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I honestly did not get much of a “trying to be Goodfellas” vibe off of The Irishman other than that both are gangster movies I guess.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I honestly did not get much of a “trying to be Goodfellas” vibe off of The Irishman other than that both are gangster movies I guess.
I think there are some common tropes between the two that don't necessarily exist in say The Godfather:

--Someone of little importance being pulled into the world of crime, climbing up the rungs
--Has one or more mentor characters who eventually prove themselves to be dangerously flawed
--Also has a broad sense of family and community around the crimes
--Told over an extended period of time with a clear sense of chronology
--Told in an almost journalistic style with narration and focus on facts regardless of how factual the actual narrative is
--A return to mundane life at the end of the story

And I think Hustlers does these things better.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I just watched The Lighthouse and jfc that was some experience. I can't believe neither of these guys was nominated for an Oscar. Dafoe especially was insane. Also the sound editing/mixing.

I can understand why this didn't get more awards since it's not exactly your typical Oscar movie, but I also feel like it was an experience that's going to stay with me for *much* longer than most movies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Gonna watch Portrait of a Lady tomorrow. Kind of confused why France would submit Les Miserables as their Foreign Film submission instead of the movie with the way more positive reviews

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 16, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
From what I understand from the 1 trailer I saw, Les Miserables Is a modern look at how the lower class live in France by having setting in the segregated slums of Paris.

I kinda want to see it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Steve Yun posted:

Gonna watch Portrait of a Lady tomorrow. Kind of confused why France would submit Les Miserables as their Foreign Film submission instead of the movie with the way more positive reviews

It has more to do with Neon putting all their weight behind supporting Parasite this year.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Doesn't the one movie per country rule seem like a mistake

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Doesn't the one movie per country rule seem like a mistake

Yes, but the oscars are also a mistake

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s only a mistake on the years when they give Best Picture to movies I didn’t like

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It has more to do with Neon putting all their weight behind supporting Parasite this year.
National film organizations decide the submissions, not US distributors. Neon wanted Portrait to be the submission.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vegetable posted:

National film organizations decide the submissions, not US distributors. Neon wanted Portrait to be the submission.

Hmmm, interesting.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Watched Waves finally and that might be the most egregious snub in my mind now, especially for the actors.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Portrait is also really good, so I get shifting it out of the way for Parasite to shine. I don't think Portrait would have ever overshadowed Parasite, but It's definitely a beautiful and brave movie that is a lot more joyful than I could have ever imagined for a film about doomed romance and abortion.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Portrait is also really good, so I get shifting it out of the way for Parasite to shine. I don't think Portrait would have ever overshadowed Parasite, but It's definitely a beautiful and brave movie that is a lot more joyful than I could have ever imagined for a film about doomed romance and abortion.

Portrait it a better film than Parasite, but Neon needed a win.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Prince Myshkin posted:

Watched Waves finally and that might be the most egregious snub in my mind now, especially for the actors.

A24 had an amazing year; that they got almost completely shut of noms feels political.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, can’t let A24 win too many in a row. Fortunately now we have two A24’s

Of course you know this means a foreign film will never win again for the next decade

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
A24 is like a modern day Paramount Vantage but so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I still miss paramount vantage :( , but agreed.