Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

A Fancy Hat posted:

Horror comedy in general for me as a kid.

Gremlins at age 5 was terrifying and I had nightmares about the Gremlins crawling up the side of the house and clawing at my bedroom window.

I also watched Critters 2 and Killer Klowns around the same time and went through phases of being terrified of clowns, terrified of acid pies, and terrified of a giant ball of critters turning me into a skeleton.

God, this post reminds me that the scene in Beetlejuice where the people are possessed or something and Day-O plays in the background freaked me all the way out, and to this day the song makes me vaguely uneasy.

I loved the Beetlejuice cartoon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

When you’re gutting a fish that you caught and you have to put your finger up its butt to pull its innards out. I know it’s the best way to do it but it always seemed weird to me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bird with big dick posted:

I feel like the piss tea story needs more backstory or some kind of conclusion or explanation like I didn’t think a guy walking around with a cup of piss was normal but maybe I’m wrong

clamdestineboyster is actually insane and often goes of their meds so i'm going to guess someone just spilled tea on them and not that a shambling Elderly Zombie accosted them with a teacup full of urine in a church

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bossy lady posted:

I had a similar reaction as an adult when I realized the indian guy was a white man wearing makeup.

:lol:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HUG ME FOREVER posted:

For some reason, TV station identification cards with silence as the backdrop. It's rare to see one now but the thought still makes me incredibly uneasy.

Haha I thought I was the only one.

When I was about 5 in the 80s, the station I used to watch cartoons on did this from like 1 am to 6 am and I used to be up at the crack of dawn. The channel would just have a huge number 5 with either silence or smooth jazz as the background and it used to creep me out like crazy. I still have no idea why it did but it's good to know I'm not the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8aEQ7Z2DmQ

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My fathers friend told me that guinea pig venom was even more deadly than cobra venom and I believed him until my mom told me he was full of it.

I freaked out after reading Dracula and started sleeping with a blanket over my head, which I do to this day but not so much because of Dracula and more because I have embraced my own fear of sunlight.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ventriloquist dummies. All of them. Scared the crap out of me.

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Haha I thought I was the only one.

When I was about 5 in the 80s, the station I used to watch cartoons on did this from like 1 am to 6 am and I used to be up at the crack of dawn. The channel would just have a huge number 5 with either silence or smooth jazz as the background and it used to creep me out like crazy. I still have no idea why it did but it's good to know I'm not the only one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8aEQ7Z2DmQ

PBS here would do it between shows every now and then. Scared preschool me shitless when I was just trying to watch Sesame Street. I'd love to know what triggers a fear response to that.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

When the NES glitched out and would hang on some awful off key tune with hosed up glitch graphics

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Hammerite posted:

The Mr. Hyde version of Tweety Pie from that one Sylvester & Tweety cartoon terrified me as a child

Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers

That short terrified me as a kid. Of course at the time I had no knowledge of Body Snatchers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
In the late 80's I had a Tiger style handheld game with an alarm clock feature. Of course this stupid thing couldn't just have a beeper like most alarm clock features this fucker featured a buzzer version of Für Elise.

Somehow the alarm clock feature got turned on when the thing ended up in the bottom of my toy box, so every night for like two weeks I was awakened to this nightmareish rendition before I could figure out where it was coming from and took the batteries out.

Because of that, for years I associated Für Elise with ghosts, and I still find it a bit spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1iZXyWLnXg

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest scared me so badly as a kid when night would fall and the townspeople would turn into monsters that I sold it for a copy of the original GB Kirby's Dream Land, which is a terrible game and even as an easily scared kid I felt like I had made a poor choice.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

wa27 posted:

Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers

That short terrified me as a kid. Of course at the time I had no knowledge of Body Snatchers.

Oh FUUUUUCK this! I loved Looney Tunes but this was an endurance test for kid teen witch. I was so happy for a newer Looney Tunes cartoon but then I’d watch it and :magical:

gently caress I’m going to get ripped and see if I can handle it at 28.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

food court bailiff posted:

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest scared me so badly as a kid when night would fall and the townspeople would turn into monsters that I sold it for a copy of the original GB Kirby's Dream Land, which is a terrible game and even as an easily scared kid I felt like I had made a poor choice.

Ha! That reminds me! A games magazine I read did an in-house The Haunting feat. Polterguy pin-up, I’d anyone remembers that game. The art-style was less comic than the game’s; think VHS airbrushed horror cover art.

I thought I’d be cool and tough and put it up but it scared me so much my dad had to sit in the room until I fell asleep. It was gone in the morning.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

static on the tv, more so the loud noise that accompanied it. flipping through the inputs trying to get the nintendo to work, landing on the wrong one and blowing out my eardrums with white noise. still fucks me up.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

bitterandtwisted posted:

Judge Doom killing the squeaky shoe. I fastforwarded that bit every time.

This, and that one scene in temple of doom.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HUG ME FOREVER posted:

PBS here would do it between shows every now and then. Scared preschool me shitless when I was just trying to watch Sesame Street. I'd love to know what triggers a fear response to that.

I'd love for a goon psychologist to post insight into this

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Loys’ Ape from some book about cryptids. Still not a huge fan of it.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

the left behind books, any time a parent was late for anything or I couldn't immediately find them I thought they had been taken to heaven and I was left here on earth with the damned

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
my parents rented this move Powder once and my 7 year old mind found it really disturbing. i had already seen Alien and a bunch of other horror movies so I don't know why this struck me like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM1jktXwcSI

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Grew up in 1980's

The various aliens from Close Encounters. I was sure they were probably in my basement.

TV static, because of Poltergeist.

And finally, Nuclear War, probably until at least college. Mainly because my Mom is a horrible person and when I was like in 4th or 5th grade and first learned about nuclear war, I asked her, "It's not likely to happen, is it?" and she replied "It's very likely". I don't think she was being mean, just narcissistic, not understanding that as a parent this is something you DO NOT say to a child. I will never forgive her for that. Oh and when I was in 8th grade I watched Threads on TV, so that's what kept that fear going all through high school. The way Greta Thunberg talks today, that's the way I felt in high school, I was like what's the point, everyone is going to die within the next 10 years or less.

By the way, Threads recently finally got a Blu-Ray release, scanned at 2K from the original BBC 16mm CRI prints. To make things confusing, in addition to this UK Blu-Ray, there was also an American Blu-Ray, ALSO scanned at 2K, but from DIFFERENT source that was not as good as the original. So the UK disc is the one to get, if you're getting (Simply Media).

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

MSPain posted:

my parents rented this move Powder once and my 7 year old mind found it really disturbing.

What is even more disturbing, is watching this movie, knowing that the director is a convicted child molester.

Thankfully the sequel is much more uplifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5lYwO5IlU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
The illustrations in these motherfuckers.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Hazo posted:

Loys’ Ape from some book about cryptids. Still not a huge fan of it.
nice dick

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Macasaurus posted:

the left behind books, any time a parent was late for anything or I couldn't immediately find them I thought they had been taken to heaven and I was left here on earth with the damned

turns out you were right!!!

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Jay_Zombie posted:

That's not dumb though? It was supposed to freak you out.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

temple posted:

nice dick

Thanks :) That’s a clitoris so I assume you’re talking to me.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Jay_Zombie posted:

These books are the reason I love horror movies and games to this day. I still have them somewhere in my apartment.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hazo posted:

Thanks :) That’s a clitoris so I assume you’re talking to me.

That's a huge loving monkey clit :psyduck:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

That's not dumb though? It was supposed to freak you out.

I would say that getting freaked out by the drawings in a kids book to the point where you covered them up just so you could keep reading is pretty dumb.

bossy lady posted:

These books are the reason I love horror movies and games to this day. I still have them somewhere in my apartment.

Same. I don't know what happened to mine though.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
This goddamn book

The black dogs were nightmare fuel for young me

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

MSPain posted:

my parents rented this move Powder once and my 7 year old mind found it really disturbing. i had already seen Alien and a bunch of other horror movies so I don't know why this struck me like that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM1jktXwcSI

when i was 12 or 13 my friends and i went and saw powder in the theater. it was a pretty popular movie. when it was over and we were leaving, there was a line of people waiting to get in for the next showing. one man asked me if it was good and i was like "yeah it sucked when he died at the end", ruining the movie for people in the line. that's my powder story.

e: in like 11th grade the teacher showed the movie in class one day for some reason and another friend of mine cried during it and therefore got ridiculed.

i have two powder stories.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Jay_Zombie posted:

I would say that getting freaked out by the drawings in a kids book to the point where you covered them up just so you could keep reading is pretty dumb.

Same. I don't know what happened to mine though.

I have them. I offered them to my nephew when he was about eight, and I am happy to say they freak the young generation out as well. He left them here and reads them when he visits.

I went through about a year of being freaked out by station wagons. It felt like riding in a hearse. Semi trucks also freaked me out. I was scared of being sucked under them.

Oh, and body parts could never, ever dangle over the side of the bed, or the bad thing could grab them.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Thunderstorms at night were scary because you wouldn't be able to see a tornado coming. Tornadoes are rare where I live and I've never actually seen one.

I also couldn't sleep at night because I knew weirs existed and I would get caught in an endless loop of imagining what it would be like to drown in one.

I used to live in a really small town, and our backyard opened up to farmers fields. I'd be afraid to look out my window at night in case there were wild animals or monsters or aliens that would see me looking at them and come attack me. But that fear would distract me from my weir induced anxiety attacks so I'd just stare out my window into the field, for a long time, in the middle of the night. 6 year old me had insomnia issues.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Watching the Langoliers TV movie as a kid led to me having nightmares that the shower drain cap was going to fly up and kill me. I would throw a washcloth on top of the drain whenever I had to shower as a result.

In fact all kinds of flying baddies freaked me out as a kid like that sun in Mario or the tiles that flew up at you in Zelda.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
sleeping on my back. mummies are on their backs so if i sleep like that theyll get me

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I legit thought that both quick-sand and volcanoes were going to be real problems in my life. I had a kind of mixed up first few years with a lot of turmoil though, so my mom thinks it's just becuase I was stressed out all the time.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

Thunderstorms at night were scary because you wouldn't be able to see a tornado coming. Tornadoes are rare where I live and I've never actually seen one.

if it makesyou feel better i live in an area with multiple totnados a year and all you can really do is get drunk and see if you die or not

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

TheOrange posted:

Watching the Langoliers TV movie as a kid led to me having nightmares that the shower drain cap was going to fly up and kill me. I would throw a washcloth on top of the drain whenever I had to shower as a result.

In fact all kinds of flying baddies freaked me out as a kid like that sun in Mario or the tiles that flew up at you in Zelda.

Fun fact the langoliers movie is Ulillillias favorite movie and is where he got some of his ideas for his books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Biohazard posted:

I legit thought that both quick-sand and volcanoes were going to be real problems in my life. I had a kind of mixed up first few years with a lot of turmoil though, so my mom thinks it's just becuase I was stressed out all the time.

when i was young i would frequent a beach that had little waist-deep pools of quicksand about 80 feet back from the water and we'd always play jungle adventure in them

i had no idea that wasn't an experience everyone had had until i was in school a couple years later and several kids were arguing that quicksand isn't even a real phenomenon

TheOrange posted:

the mask in Mario 2 was terrifying, it was rare for me to get past 1-2 because even that tiny little run would scare the heck outta me