Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Hey you can't blame me about the Time Machine query, I forgot how actual encyclopedias work after years of Wikipedia brainrot (was expecting a mention of the novel or something). :p

I'm not sure why this hasn't come up yet but look up "Flat Earth" next, please. If it doesn't exist or is written down as a "discredited/pseudoscientific" earth model I'm gonna laugh so drat hard.

Explosive Tampons fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

you broke my grill posted:

the Roman poet Catullus, author of the most obscene poetry ever written

Ooh, I'd like to see this too. Has the Satyricon been requested? If not, I'd like to see that too.

Also, bison/ american buffalo. They would have been on the verge of extinction if I'm not mistaken.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'd like to see snail, octopus, and/or nautilus!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Can we please see Transgender/Crossdresser, Archduke Ferdinand, and Lobotomy?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Korea, South Africa, and Prohibition would probably give some interesting information.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
whats it say about the irish

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Are these name even in there, James Joyce, T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Bertrand Russell, and Marcel DuChamp.

Edit: Hiroshima and Nagasaki

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 19, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
It's almost the 26th. Anything about bbqs or Australia?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
This is a superb thread, op.

I don't believe the following were requested, so if possible let's look for these:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Edward VIII
Computer -- most likely it will talk about human computers, the obsolete profession.
Planet X
Hat -- primarily as people wore hats a lot more back then.
Joseph Kennedy Sr.
Libertarianism
Saudi Arabia
Tangier International Zone
Shanghai International Settlement
Panama Canal Zone
Unit Record Equipment or Herman Hollerith
Asbestos or Talc
Theosophy
Esotericism

Thank you.

That Robot fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 19, 2020

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

I’d like to know about the platypus, the giraffe and New Zealand please OP.

illy
Jul 13, 2019

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can we please see Transgender/Crossdresser

OP already looked for transvestite at my request, but it wasn't there. I don't think TG/CD was in use back then.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Meander posted:

I second the platypus request!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
This is a really cool thread, OP! Thanks for sharing your encyclopaedia with us.

I was wondering what it might say about movies or film? Given the state of infancy the art would be in at this time, it would be cool to see opinions from this time frame.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

seconding this

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

illy posted:

OP already looked for transvestite at my request, but it wasn't there. I don't think TG/CD was in use back then.

Might try hermaphroditism

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Has anyone asked for eugenics yet? Or Hawaii?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

The Grimace posted:

This is a really cool thread, OP! Thanks for sharing your encyclopaedia with us.

I was wondering what it might say about movies or film? Given the state of infancy the art would be in at this time, it would be cool to see opinions from this time frame.

This but for cartoons. They were still in black and white back then afaik.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That Robot posted:

Along these lines, see if Walt Disney has an entry

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Look up hysteria

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Hobologist posted:

Has anyone asked for eugenics yet? Or Hawaii?

Yes to both, in fact. The first was pretty early on, and disturbing. I'm not sure if the second was ever posted, but non-state Alaska was also requested long ago.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
First holy poo poo I didn't look up the actual term birth control because I didn't think it was used then but here it is!!

Look up hysteria

sticksy posted:

Good suggestion - on the same theme, is robot or Metropolis featured?
Robot is not at all what I expected

Imbecile and/or moron

I think those were the terms in use for intellectual disability around that time.

Bonus:

Ocean Book posted:

thank you so much this thread is great

can I get

Thermodynamics

Jesus

Christianity

Who What Now posted:

Look up menstruation. I'm curious because it'll either be like two sentences or two pages.
More like two paragraphs. Plus the entry on menopause!

Voting Floater posted:

Gonna have to get creative to find some dirty bits. Anything good for Sappho? Or Oscar Wilde maybe?
A good try, but still very dry and clinical

"convicted for serious offences against morality"

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'd like to see snail, octopus, and/or nautilus!

you broke my grill posted:

the Roman poet Catullus, author of the most obscene poetry ever written

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Ooh, I'd like to see this too. Has the Satyricon been requested? If not, I'd like to see that too.

Also, bison/ american buffalo. They would have been on the verge of extinction if I'm not mistaken.
I don't think this is right but it's what I have

Explosive Tampons posted:

Hey you can't blame me about the Time Machine query, I forgot how actual encyclopedias work after years of Wikipedia brainrot (was expecting a mention of the novel or something). :p

I'm not sure why this hasn't come up yet but look up "Flat Earth" next, please. If it doesn't exist or is written down as a "discredited/pseudoscientific" earth model I'm gonna laugh so drat hard.
You're in luck!

Gianthogweed posted:

Liberalism/Conservativism. I know the term neoliberalism wasn't coined until 1938 by Alexander Rustow so it's probably not there, but I'm curious.

:old-timey man Ha! Ha! meme:

Bonus entries:

Bonus cat:
Luna tried to help with my work

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The first sentence in “Robot” sounds like the premise for an 80s metal album.

Also I’m very concerned about the implications of the snail entry wherein “None of the American species are large or harmful.”

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What has a longer entry, cat or dog?

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Women's Health/Hysteria/Vaccines/Civil War/Cuisine

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

vortmax posted:

A good try, but still very dry and clinical

"convicted for serious offences against morality"

Thank you! That's more than I'd actually expected to find. "Head of a literary society" is my new favourite euphemism for hella gay.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Voting Floater posted:

Thank you! That's more than I'd actually expected to find. "Head of a literary society" is my new favourite euphemism for hella gay.

I wonder if Sappho had any inkling as to how her name would reverberate through the ages.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Voting Floater posted:

Yeah, I liked that as well. Might modify it and start saying "she's a member of my book club".

Thanks for answering my request OP, I love using old school illustrations for my art and that octopus and nautilus are bangin'!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Stars / The Sun

This was right at a magical time in astronomy when it was obvious that chemical combustion or gravitational compression heating couldn't possibly explain the insane power output of the sun but nuclear science was still in it's infancy so the atomic fusion theory was out there but with little confidence because there was no hard evidence fusion was even possible yet.

It was an era of ever wilder attempts to explain "How the gently caress does the sun work?" because all the obvious candidates were indisputably wrong.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can we please see Transgender/Crossdresser, Archduke Ferdinand, and Lobotomy?
Archduke Ferdinand only gets a mention in the Great War entry

Fuckstick posted:

Might try hermaphroditism
Bingo! Though nothing about it in humans, except for the bit from mythology

Original_Z posted:

Korea, South Africa, and Prohibition would probably give some interesting information.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I was expecting more bigotry but it's pretty straightforward history

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Are these name even in there, James Joyce, T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Bertrand Russell, and Marcel DuChamp.

Edit: Hiroshima and Nagasaki
✅❌✅✅❌

I'm surprised these got their own entries instead of being lumped in with Japan

Outrail posted:

It's almost the 26th. Anything about bbqs or Australia?
Australia was covered earlier
SEE ALSO forest fire

Meander posted:

Outrail posted:

What has a longer entry, cat or dog?
Dog has a longer entry but not a picture!

But sometimes under a specific breed you can see one

Bonus entries!

Is there a thread on book repair? Poor volume V is coming apart :cry:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

vortmax posted:

Is there a thread on book repair? Poor volume V is coming apart :cry:

IIRC Sagebrush is into bookbinding. I might be completely wrong though.

E: thanks for the Hysteria article btw- sexism with a surprising sprinkling of racism against latinx people!

Ornamental Dingbat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 20, 2020

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
It would be interesting to see if there were any references to the St. Valentines Day Massacre, Al Capone or the recently-repealed Prohibition.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

The Grimace posted:

That Robot posted:

Hazo posted:

Along these lines, see if Walt Disney has an entry

MageMage posted:

Women's Health/Hysteria/Vaccines/Civil War/Cuisine
I believe all of this was covered before except for cuisine, and :shrug:

shame on an IGA posted:

Stars / The Sun

This was right at a magical time in astronomy when it was obvious that chemical combustion or gravitational compression heating couldn't possibly explain the insane power output of the sun but nuclear science was still in it's infancy so the atomic fusion theory was out there but with little confidence because there was no hard evidence fusion was even possible yet.

It was an era of ever wilder attempts to explain "How the gently caress does the sun work?" because all the obvious candidates were indisputably wrong.
Nothing for stars in general, but the entry for the sun says it's one of many stars.

Bonus entries: sunspots and sundials

More bonus entries (AKA stuff I found while looking for your requests)

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
this is literally the first time I've voted a thread 5 (or any number) in over a decade, thanks for the effort/good poo poo OP

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

vortmax posted:

Amazing Pictures. Amazing post.
Thank you for taking the request.

Edit: A lot of this is surprising because current people don't realize how much the world changed between from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.

Is there any information on farming, because it was the job most people did at the beginning of the 1900's?

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 21, 2020

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Electricity

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Thank you for all the effortposts! Plus the bonus Dodecahedron I never would have thought of!

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Thank you. This entry on Maori is very interesting. Nice historical piece.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

vortmax posted:

Robot is not at all what I expected

Bonus cat:
Luna tried to help with my work

what a great cat! and the robot entry was interesting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Philippe Pétain’s entry will be funny because he’s an unalloyed hero at this point. He’s going to get talked way up.

Winston Churchill is “in the wilderness” at this time. If his entry is long enough, it will be interesting.

Industrial Workers of the World

Anarchists

Al Capone

The Titanic

The coverage of astronomy so far is weird. No entry for stars? Try the entries “astronomy”, “nebula”, “Edwin Hubble”, and maybe “(The Great Nebula in) Andromeda”.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 21, 2020

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What does the book have to say about love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

anus, op