Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
This is an amazing series airing on the BBC iplayer and Netflix, depending on location. I'll let wikipedia explain:

Kenzo Mori (Takehiro Hira), a Tokyo detective, travels to London in search of his presumed deceased brother Yuto (Yōsuke Kubozuka), who is accused of brutally killing the nephew of a Yakuza member which, as a result, threatens to start a gang war. As Kenzo attempts to navigate the unfamiliar territory of London to uncover whether his brother is guilty or indeed alive, he becomes acquainted with DC Sarah Weitzmann (Kelly Macdonald) of the Metropolitan Police and Rodney Yamaguchi (Will Sharpe), a half-Japanese, half-British sex worker. However, Kenzo's investigation brings him into contact with dangerous elements of London's corrupt criminal underworld.

A thread for this might be pointless but who knows?

(also drat, I still think of justin long as 25 so I completely did not recognize him!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Show's good!

Edit to elaborate a bit:

This show moves so goddamn fast. Everything in the first 4 or 5 episodes would easily fill out a full season of most other shows. I do feel like some of the stuff with Justin Long's character feels like it could have used more time, but otherwise the breakneck pace feels pretty natural. Most of the characters are pretty likable and have a decent amount of backstory as you get deeper into the series.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 16, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Can confirm this show is great

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
can a mod change the thread subtitle to 'Abbot's turning Japanese, he really thinks so'

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

A thread for this might be pointless but who knows?

lmao rip me

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I did look for a thread when I finished the show or even someone mentioning this show on any Netflix/last show I marathoned -thread so a thread is appreciated.

It was worth a watch, I kinda wish they had done a little more with dad/daughter interactions, it definitely could have been better but I don't feel there's anything similar available and that's even without the the split Japan/UK perspective -gimmick either. Definitely feel the premise and even the overall execution of what was being shown had... potential for even a superb show. It wasn't bad show at any rate, it even managed to stir up some emotion. Some (overt) nice cinematography moments, too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, the cinematography was brilliant, and the ending of the 4th episode was brilliantly done as well.

Also, I appreciate any gay awakenings

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
It felt very in the vein of the Fargo TV shows, kinda wrapped up clumsily but I liked it.

It did feel like Rodney's arc didn't really finish though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seems like they should have advertised this show a lot more

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
One thing that's funny about the show is for two countries with minimal gun homicide rate they just shot tons of people almost on the sideline to the proper plot. We had that big gunfight with like 30 people in it and a number of mass shootings and none of these things had to be written that way. I guess shows like Murder She Wrote has murder a week for 250 episodes in a town of 500 people but they didn't have any real pretense of continuity.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

precision posted:

It seems like they should have advertised this show a lot more

Or even at all

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Really enjoyed the show. Sad it probably won't get a ton of recognition.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Kenzo's mom rules. Owning the poo poo out of Yakuza goons and creepy assholes.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Question about episode 2:

Is there a reason why Yuta briefly puts his left hand behind his back next to his right hand which is holding the knife as he enters the apt to kill Saburo?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I just assumed it was to make it look less suspicious. To me, just one hand makes it obvious he is holding something.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I just assumed it was to make it look less suspicious. To me, just one hand makes it obvious he is holding something.

Good point, makes sense. Thought it might have been something else as it kind of seemed like a ritualistic move or something. Thanks.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Final episode spoilers
I liked the part when it turned out Roy wasn't a complete wasteman, and then he still managed to gently caress it up anyway.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 24, 2020

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Just finished watching this over the weekend. Series good, although the ending was very different to how I'd expected it to play out.

Question: who actually put the snake through Sarah's letterbox? Was it supposed to be an unexplained mystery, or did I miss something?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Voting Floater posted:

Just finished watching this over the weekend. Series good, although the ending was very different to how I'd expected it to play out.

Question: who actually put the snake through Sarah's letterbox? Was it supposed to be an unexplained mystery, or did I miss something?

If you believe that it wasn't her ex then the assumption is that it was one of her colleagues on the force.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ep. 4 gave me Guy Ritchie vibes. But without the snappy edits.

Four episodes to go.

Slightly surprised the thread's secondary title isn't "Duty/Shame (I'm an expert)".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

M-m-m-megabump. Just finished this series. I picked it nearly blind, I saw "Tokyo cop, Yakuza, London, exceedingly Japanese title" and thought sure, may as well. Holy moly it's a whole lot more than your average cop drama. Some thoughts:
Everything with Rodney was completely tragic. Him talking to his ex's parents made my wife cry. And him trying to talk about something real with his mom was brutal. The guy says he needs help and his mom tells him to put on a happy face. Just really sad.

Taki is great and navigates her way through in a realistic way, the three amigos (three ladies and a baby?) had really good interplay between them, and the dance scene in the last episode was a surprise, but it was nicely choreographed, everybody's emotions and hopes throughout the show represented, and had a lot of emotional closure. I thought it was great..

Looking at this show through a lense of 100% tactical realism would miss the point and the show wouldn't work under that kind of viewing, I think. For example the London police would have the city on lockdown after the first shootout and likely find Kenzo pretty quick, what with their George Orwell cameras everywhere, but like I said, not the point. Also I'm glad the tease of the Baltimore (Philly?) gangsters didn't go anywhere. Too many storylines would mean less time to develop the characters we already have. Keep it focused on this one family and their satellites, and the show is better for it. It's emotionally grounded with good character work.

Highly recommended to everybody.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 1, 2020