Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

TTBF posted:

Could it be the Chinese movie Hex? It's about a man tricking his wife into believing she killed him so that he can dress up as a ghost and give her a heart attack. She then haunts him for real. I think I remember the ceiling bit.

Interesting. While that's not the movie I saw it looks extremely similar. Maybe a Chinese remake? Either way Hex looks really good. I'm going to see if I can find it anywhere.

Edit: went down an IMDB rabbit hole. I believe it's Ghost of Yotsuya - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155278/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

Skrill.exe fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
So back in the days of video stores - hell, this must have been a quarter century ago, maybe longer - there was one store in my hometown whose employees didn't give a poo poo about playing whatever they wanted behind the counter. Horror, tits 'n' rear end comedy, John Waters movies, whatever they wanted, it was there. But one day they were playing a horror movie, and the image of someone's head exploding or falling off in the rain, possibly in slow motion, while someone looked on in horror, has never left me, and I have no idea what movie they were playing. Does anybody have a clue?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hasturtium posted:

So back in the days of video stores - hell, this must have been a quarter century ago, maybe longer - there was one store in my hometown whose employees didn't give a poo poo about playing whatever they wanted behind the counter. Horror, tits 'n' rear end comedy, John Waters movies, whatever they wanted, it was there. But one day they were playing a horror movie, and the image of someone's head exploding or falling off in the rain, possibly in slow motion, while someone looked on in horror, has never left me, and I have no idea what movie they were playing. Does anybody have a clue?

First thought for exploding heads is Scanners. I don’t specifically remember a rain scene, though.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Maniac includes a mind-blowing head explosion that rains everywhere in slow motion.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

ynohtna posted:

Maniac includes a mind-blowing head explosion that rains everywhere in slow motion.

Gonna check that out, thank you!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
It's not very old but Survive Style Five Plus has a man killing his wife and she returns from the dead several times.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hasturtium posted:

This came to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6tz9pga4H4

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Switzerland posted:

About 25-ish years ago, living in $username, I saw a movie on TV a coupla times. French movie, and I could've sworn it was Sophie Marceau, but none of her filmography jumps out as this movie. I barely remember it, I believe it was some kind of coming-of-age movie.

The two scenes I remember are:

1) Near the beginning of the film, the protagonist's... brother or lover comes home drunk at night. Protagonist is in the house's garden, or looking out the window. The guy pees in the garden's bushes, and she says something like "i hate that you pee in our garden" to him

2) Towards the end of the movie, she's at fancy villa that has a pool that is both indoor pool and, through a connecting tunnel (as part of the pool) also an outdoor pool.

Anyone remember this?
Anyone? :(

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hasturtium posted:

This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf1O0qoXN1Y

Beware beheading shown.

Its the Omen 1.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

It could also potentially be Black Rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYzPUa-6BLE

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Seeing as how this has turned into "PYF decapitation that doesn't match OP's description", maybe it is(n't) this???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgt5233HjCs

:rolleyes:

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 12, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Mine contains every element from the OP's description, but sure, go off. The only minor differences are that there're puddles instead of rain, and it's a thriller rather than a strict horror.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm sure there's been plenty of times when people have posted a detailed description of something that turned out to be nothing at all like what they remembered :v:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Boy, that one tunnel in LA gets a lot of use.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

SolarFire2 posted:

Boy, that one tunnel in LA gets a lot of use.

it’s like Cortlandt Alley in NYC that shows up all the time in movies, because for some reason Hollywood decided Manhattan was full of dark alleys when in reality there are hardly any

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm sure there's been plenty of times when people have posted a detailed description of something that turned out to be nothing at all like what they remembered :v:

I once posted trying to find a cartoon I had seen as a child, and another poster found it, except it was a picture book and not a cartoon.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah it’s always worth throwing anything out there that’s even kinda close, you can go to any page of this thread and see people going “wow amazing, this is it but it’s NOTHING like what I remembered”

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Seriously the number of "well, theres this but its not from the 80s, its not in black and white, and hes a cowboy, not a knight" type correct guesses in this thread is staggering. Like every single detail the poster mentioned is wrong, but it turns out to be the right movie.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

I once asked about a live action 80s movie I saw and it turned out to be a 15 second bit from a Simpsons episode.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just a page ago I made a wild suggestion about a Czechoslovakian film that had some similar elements to the OP's description and that was enough for them to figure out that they were looking for a US short narrated by Vincent Price

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhy9--YRBD8

Also, The 13th Warrior (1999) has decapitation but I haven't seen that one yet.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
My first was ‘The Exterminator’ (1980) maybe the year after release, very early 80’s anyway. Guy is beheaded tied to a stake, in I guess Vietnam.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ok, so I think this might be a mash-up of two films and imagination that I've seen and known for sure, but:

I remember seeing trailers to some film with like... some witches or something in a forest who were part of some tribal/savage clan thing and had dwellings in trees. I remember the savages basically being nude or something and some tit, so I don't know how I this was even a trailer. I remember the word "Brotherhood" in the title, but I THINK it came out around the time that Brotherhood of the Wolf did (2001) so I think I managed to get the name from that film.

So... I think the film I'm thinking of is The 13th Warrior because I remember the group venturing out into the forest and the leader of the savage tribe is female (I believe) but I don't remember any nudity or tree houses. It's probably The 13th Warrior but that came out 3 years earlier, can anyone think of a film like it that came out around 2001? Also I never saw it, just the trailer so I probably made all this poo poo up.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

sigher posted:

Ok, so I think this might be a mash-up of two films and imagination that I've seen and known for sure, but:

I remember seeing trailers to some film with like... some witches or something in a forest who were part of some tribal/savage clan thing and had dwellings in trees. I remember the savages basically being nude or something and some tit, so I don't know how I this was even a trailer. I remember the word "Brotherhood" in the title, but I THINK it came out around the time that Brotherhood of the Wolf did (2001) so I think I managed to get the name from that film.

So... I think the film I'm thinking of is The 13th Warrior because I remember the group venturing out into the forest and the leader of the savage tribe is female (I believe) but I don't remember any nudity or tree houses. It's probably The 13th Warrior but that came out 3 years earlier, can anyone think of a film like it that came out around 2001? Also I never saw it, just the trailer so I probably made all this poo poo up.

13th Warrior was essentially grendel’s mom and they journey to go kill her. She was naked ish, I think. Was not really a tree heavy movie that I remember.

Still slaps though.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Sorry guys I was just trying to be funny, and it gave me an excuse to post a clip which I thought was hilarious

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

sigher posted:

Makes me wonder if some part of King Arthur might have leaked into it. The Merlin being a druid might get you the trees you're after and Keira wears leather boob armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLW0HKJX_sI

Edit: might also be turd fest In The Name of the King although that's several years too late. Kristanna Loken leads a group of trees dwellers though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0LE5lMh7QI

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 13, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ape Agitator posted:

Makes me wonder if some part of King Arthur might have leaked into it. The Merlin being a druid might get you the trees you're after and Keira wears leather boob armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLW0HKJX_sI

Holy gently caress, in the trailer (at 1:44) there's the word "Brotherhood." drat, I also remember the blue-ish green hue of the grass and forests exactly how they look in this trailer. I must have completely melded this with The 13th Warrior, thanks!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Clive Owen has such a weird career arc

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He and Gerard Butler got screwed over by the others existence.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nny-VL6WWos

The clip comes in at about 5:35. Men questioning a woman under hypnosis about stolen paintings. Sounds like an older film. Tried doing some googling about stolen art movies but can't seem to find one that fits what's going on in this clip and I can't make out the names. It's a pretty odd sample for a dark ambient track but the woman's performance is definitely pretty chilling in the context of the track.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phyein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nny-VL6WWos

The clip comes in at about 5:35. Men questioning a woman under hypnosis about stolen paintings. Sounds like an older film. Tried doing some googling about stolen art movies but can't seem to find one that fits what's going on in this clip and I can't make out the names. It's a pretty odd sample for a dark ambient track but the woman's performance is definitely pretty chilling in the context of the track.

I can just make out someone saying 'This is the man called X', which coincidentally is the name of a radio serial from the 40s/50s, and a TV series in the 50s. Episodes are available to listen here.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Sir Nose posted:

Maybe Recon 2020/2022/2023 trilogy?

Holy poo poo, these are it!! Thank you so much!! This has been bothering me for years. You are awesome. How did you figure it out?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Skutter posted:

Holy poo poo, these are it!! Thank you so much!! This has been bothering me for years. You are awesome. How did you figure it out?

Recon 2020 was on the shelf of my local Blockbuster Video back in the day. So many times I picked it up and then put it back down without renting it because it looked just too lovely. You said yours had a word and a year in the title which made me think of it, looked it up on IMDb and read that it was 1st in a trilogy (I had no idea), and figured it might be what you were looking for.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pilchenstein posted:

I had one a few years ago at a friend's request and he said it was British when it was entirely in French

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sir Nose posted:

Recon 2020 was on the shelf of my local Blockbuster Video back in the day. So many times I picked it up and then put it back down without renting it because it looked just too lovely. You said yours had a word and a year in the title which made me think of it, looked it up on IMDb and read that it was 1st in a trilogy (I had no idea), and figured it might be what you were looking for.

This one?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've probably posted this before, a black and white Italian movie that starts with the camera following a guy on a vespa through an Italian city while a cheerful song plays in the background. The annoying thing is I once found a video of a woman singing the same song and I still can't find it. I think maybe the song was about Voodoo or zombies.

edit: I have the feeling that the movie was more modern than black and white would suggest.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 14, 2020

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Sir Nose posted:

That's amazing, thank you again! You really should check it out though, if you are into watching bad movies. It's the perfect mix of "tried to make a good movie" and "really ridiculous things occur anyway".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I saw this clip on twitter awhile ago, it looked pretty recent and also had an indie vibe. This lady sees two hot guys on the street out her window and invites them up, they come into her apartment, sit down on the bed, and she tells them to be careful because the sheets are very expensive. One of the guys says "but they aren't even soft?" or something to that effect, and then the woman says, "Sometimes expensive things....

are worse"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gripweed posted:

I saw this clip on twitter awhile ago, it looked pretty recent and also had an indie vibe. This lady sees two hot guys on the street out her window and invites them up, they come into her apartment, sit down on the bed, and she tells them to be careful because the sheets are very expensive. One of the guys says "but they aren't even soft?" or something to that effect, and then the woman says, "Sometimes expensive things....

are worse"

I mean, did you try googling it? Because thats all I did to find "the gay and wonderous life of caleb gallo". The set up and line are at about 1:08 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbhcRKsRwFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Thanks!