Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Trevor Hale posted:

There’s a scene in a movie where a guy is talking to another guy. Trying to explain how to act. Something along the lines of being cool and mysterious. The audience isn’t sure if they like him or not. A real lee Marvin.

In my head it sounds like Tarantino but also maybe Vince Vaughn? I’ve checked swingers and reservoir dogs and I can’t find the exact quote anywhere.

Get Shorty? There's a couple scenes like that

https://youtu.be/0H8EmzfVSbg

There's another scene with Travolta coaching Gene Hackman about an upcoming confrontation with a mobster but I can't find a clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

Trevor Hale posted:

There’s a scene in a movie where a guy is talking to another guy. Trying to explain how to act. Something along the lines of being cool and mysterious. The audience isn’t sure if they like him or not. A real lee Marvin.

In my head it sounds like Tarantino but also maybe Vince Vaughn? I’ve checked swingers and reservoir dogs and I can’t find the exact quote anywhere.

It's Vince Vaughn from Swingers. "I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie..."

Edit: This is right before he get's Nikki's number at the bar. (Dresden?)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

There's also that scene from The 40 Year Old Virgin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa1IN1GN4Q4

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MarioOnTheComputer posted:

It's Vince Vaughn from Swingers. "I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie..."

It’s this, for sure.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

MarioOnTheComputer posted:

Yes! I was conflating it with the “you’re a bear” scene

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Okay, I watched this movie in the past two years or so. It was pre-pandemic. I think it’s an actually recent movie; my wife thinks it is old.

All I can remember is a scene close to the end, maybe even the climax.

There’s a (I think) Russian guy who is one of the bad guys. He has an ice skater girlfriend. Someone else—I think another kind of bad guy—wants something from him and takes his girlfriend hostage (I think in the ice rink). The girlfriend is killed.

I want to say it was an action thriller or spy movie, but that seems wrong.

Edit: it was Ronin! Googling “ice skater sniper movie” sorted me out

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 11, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Captain Magic posted:

Okay, I watched this movie in the past two years or so. It was pre-pandemic. I think it’s an actually recent movie; my wife thinks it is old.

All I can remember is a scene close to the end, maybe even the climax.

There’s a (I think) Russian guy who is one of the bad guys. He has an ice skater girlfriend. Someone else—I think another kind of bad guy—wants something from him and takes his girlfriend hostage (I think in the ice rink). The girlfriend is killed.

I want to say it was an action thriller or spy movie, but that seems wrong.

Edit: it was Ronin! Googling “ice skater sniper movie” sorted me out

RIP Katarina Witt

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ok, I don't have a lot to go on, but my wife remembers feeling sick with horror from this movie, and we really want to find it.

1. She remembers it being black and white.
2. She watched it at home sometime before 2002
3. She remembers something like a glass cabin with a staircase inside. I don't know wtf either.
4. It's a horror or thriller that's intense psychological horror. No gore.
Edit: 5. She remembers it being an old movie.

It might not be in b&w, because her memory is not the best.

Thank you.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 13, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, I don't have a lot to go on, but my wife remembers feeling sick with horror from this movie, and we really want to find it.

3. She remembers something like a glass cabin with a staircase inside. I don't know wtf either.

Thank you.

Not black and white but I will guess The Glass House (2001).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Beachcomber posted:

Thank you.

The Haunting (1963) maybe? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/

Prominently features a spiral staircase and a greenhouse-like room, although the stairs are not in that room. B&W, no gore, etc.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Beachcomber posted:

Thank you.

Was it a silent? The Cabinet of Dr Caligari?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Haunting (1963) maybe? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/

Prominently features a spiral staircase and a greenhouse-like room, although the stairs are not in that room. B&W, no gore, etc.

That's a solid guess. The uninvited takes place in a remote house and there's a room with a really big window that includes part of the roof

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Thank you for the leads! It definitely had sound.

We watched the trailers and neither seems familiar to her, but thanks!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beachcomber posted:

Thank you.

There's an MST3K episode called 'Tormented', s4ep14, its a psychological horror from the 50s and has a lighthouse with a some staircase shots inside.
Maybe a stretch but sounds like the glass cabin could be the top of the lighthouse.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
the 2001 version of Thirteen Ghosts had a weird glass house going on, maybe the 1960 version had a scene like that? Not sure.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats the black and white film where Napoleon is on st helena and a montage of soldiers happens in the clouds?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Whats the black and white film where Napoleon is on st helena and a montage of soldiers happens in the clouds?

Napoleon at Saint Helena (1911)? :imunfunny:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Moved to more appropriate thread.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 15, 2020

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

This was an animated short from possibly the early ‘80s done in the style of Ralph Bakshi. It involved a man who ate so much that he eventually eats the earth. The ending was two eggs frying for some reason. That’s all I have from my small child memory, unfortunately.

This was most likely a short shown between movies on HBO during the ‘80s.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think this fits in this thread, a fun little blog post about an author trying to remember a film he had scene as a child:

https://ianfarrington.wordpress.com/2020/08/17/the-loss-and-rediscovery-of-frog-dreaming/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember trying to help a friend find a film he’d seen years ago as a kid. He was describing plot elements, and I was sure it was a certain film from the 80s, but he was adamant that it must have been from the 60s or earlier because it was in black and white. We eventually gave up, and then months later he messaged me to say he’d found it, and that it was the film I’d described. It turned out he’d been talking to his mum, and she’d reminded him that as a kid he’d had a black and white tv in his room.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Must have been a really old TV, considering the world turned color sometime in the 1930s and it was pretty grainy color for a while too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Must have been a really old TV, considering the world turned color sometime in the 1930s and it was pretty grainy color for a while too.

Nah, they were selling small B+W sets into the 90s.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nostalgia makes you enjoy lovely things, and man do I think back fondly on my old black and white TV with its little analog channel knob and its fuzzy-rear end picture that I got to put it my room :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ah, yeah, we used to have a super small tv and radio unit it had a handle and you could pick the whole thing up easily. It had probably a 6" screen on it, obviously b&w.

poo poo, if we had kept that, I wonder if I'd be able to sell it for anything.

Edit: it was very similar to this, but I'm pretty sure the screen was on the right.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 17, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
This is probably going to be very obvious in retrospect, but...

Some guys have just concluded a deal, one of them starts flipping the dollar bundles by his ear to check their amount, and claims that one of them is short. Cut to the end of the bundle being recounted, and it is short, and the other guy says something like 'Very impressive, Mr. [whoever]."

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Darthemed posted:

This is probably going to be very obvious in retrospect, but...

Some guys have just concluded a deal, one of them starts flipping the dollar bundles by his ear to check their amount, and claims that one of them is short. Cut to the end of the bundle being recounted, and it is short, and the other guy says something like 'Very impressive, Mr. [whoever]."

That happens in Who’s Harry Crumb? but as far as I know it’s in other movies too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That request reminded me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymRqYz-Mxnw

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Pretty sure it was Who’s Harry Crumb?, thank you!

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013
It’s some Chinese action movie, two guys are beating the hell out of each other in a bathroom (maybe in an airport?) and it’s filling with gas or something, the one guy has to keep trying to drink water from the sink and the other one keeps hitting him. At one point they beat each other up with towels.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
You’re going to have to be more specific.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
An anime with anthropomorphic animals of some kind (rabbits?). The first act is one youngster living in a village and doing basic poo poo like going to the store and maybe buying some eggs? The turn happens when he goes to the top of a hill and there's a train that takes him across the solar system. Most of the movie takes place flying through space. There's a lot of colorful imagery and specifically Christian imagery, with a giant bright glowing cross at one point

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

A Bag of Milk posted:

An anime with anthropomorphic animals of some kind (rabbits?). The first act is one youngster living in a village and doing basic poo poo like going to the store and maybe buying some eggs? The turn happens when he goes to the top of a hill and there's a train that takes him across the solar system. Most of the movie takes place flying through space. There's a lot of colorful imagery and specifically Christian imagery, with a giant bright glowing cross at one point

Night on the Galactic Railroad?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089206/

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Yes! Thank you friend

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

dangerburrd posted:

It’s some Chinese action movie, two guys are beating the hell out of each other in a bathroom (maybe in an airport?) and it’s filling with gas or something, the one guy has to keep trying to drink water from the sink and the other one keeps hitting him. At one point they beat each other up with towels.
Sounds like the climax of the Jet Li movie The Defender (a.k.a., The Bodyguard from Beijing).

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

a martial arts movie where two guys (A cop or something and a petty criminal?) are handcuffed together relatively early on, and they stay that way for most of the movie. The fight scenes are a lot of the two of them throwing each other about while fighting other people? The end of the movie is in like a desert setting and I feel like they have to infiltrate some kind of enemy hideout/base thing. Lot of henchmen. It's probably poo poo, but I just remembered watching it on a long coach ride like fifteen years ago.

Edit: it was Drive, from 1997

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 24, 2020

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You’re going to have to be more specific.

Sorry i forgot I posted this but I do not, it’s that last guardian of Beijing movie

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm looking for a native american documentary. It was on youtube at one point a few years ago, but I think the documentary was a bit older than that, probably shot in the late oughties and probably originally aired on television. The topic was mostly about deconstructing the native american stereotype, contrasting it with the reality that they're just regular people.

It was filmed by a guy who shoots documentaries, but I forgot his name. He's not as famous as the bigger names out there. He's a short, older white guy with kind of a dark and snarky attitude. It's not Louis Theroux.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm looking for a native american documentary. It was on youtube at one point a few years ago, but I think the documentary was a bit older than that, probably shot in the late oughties and probably originally aired on television. The topic was mostly about deconstructing the native american stereotype, contrasting it with the reality that they're just regular people.

It was filmed by a guy who shoots documentaries, but I forgot his name. He's not as famous as the bigger names out there. He's a short, older white guy with kind of a dark and snarky attitude. It's not Louis Theroux.

Maybe Reel Injun?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1484114/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sorry, that's not it. The documentary I'm looking for doesn't focus on film as much. There's also more of the host paling around with his native american buddy.