Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

I got one that I'm not sure is real. A scene flashed into my head a couple of days ago where someone is fighting or talking about fighting someone. Could be a physical fight or gunfight. The person is narrating in some way, talking about their opponent. They're observing "he's skilled and fast, dangerous, but overeager. Sloppy. Too excited and not thinking. Wait for your moment" and then the narrator wins because of their patience and calm. I may be confusing it with the scene in Unforgiven when Gene Hackman talks about what makes a good gunmam (which then plays out in the finale). I was also reminded of that bit in Sin City where Bruce Willis gets clipped and says something like "you idiot, there I go charging in like Galahad like I told myself I wouldn't". But for some reason I keep thinking it's something else.

Not sure if it's also in one of the movies, but your description reminded me a lot of Garth Ennis' writing in Punisher. I'm sure there's a scene like that in the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've barely read any comics so definitely not that. Never saw Real Steel either. Could be from a book, though. Maybe Raymond Chandler. Who knows. I also thought it might be from another moment in Sin City with Marv talking about Kevin, but he doesn't say anything like that, surprisingly. Whatever it is from, it would be very close to my description.

e: welp i guess this is why I kept thinking of Sin City. It's actually from the car chase shootout between Hartigan and the yellow bastard. I got the gist right, but def not the words, lol.

quote:

He's a decent shot
But he's in too much of a hurry
Throwing away bullets like they were candy
He doesn't know how to take his time
Aim carefull and look the devil in the eye

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 25, 2021

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This is from a discussion with an acquaintance, to the point where it may be a figment of imagination but he only remembers one scene from the film, the last one.

Protagonist (male), and a girl are in an open-top car driving on a rural road (possibly a dirt road?). As he's driving, they're kissing, and not paying attention to the road, so a pickup truck comes from the other direction. The driver makes a swerve to avoid it, and the girl is thrown from the car and killed instantly. He said it's the end of the movie, and has nothing to do with the rest of it, it just ends like this to prevent a happy ending.

Are there any clues? It's possibly from before the 90s, but that's all we have at the moment

EDIT: VV He says it ain't it. Film looks interesting though, worst case I've learned about a neat looking film

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 27, 2021

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm getting an odd vibe of it being a time loop/repeat the day movie. One of my favorites was from the 90s and that could be a scene from the middle (not the end). Have them have a look at the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H35XGYQeIN4

Awesome, whole movie is on YouTube. Whether it's right or not, I recommend as a rough and charming gem of the direct to video 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3QSdCYSFpw

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Serperoth posted:

This is from a discussion with an acquaintance, to the point where it may be a figment of imagination but he only remembers one scene from the film, the last one.

Protagonist (male), and a girl are in an open-top car driving on a rural road (possibly a dirt road?). As he's driving, they're kissing, and not paying attention to the road, so a pickup truck comes from the other direction. The driver makes a swerve to avoid it, and the girl is thrown from the car and killed instantly. He said it's the end of the movie, and has nothing to do with the rest of it, it just ends like this to prevent a happy ending.

Are there any clues? It's possibly from before the 90s, but that's all we have at the moment

EDIT: VV He says it ain't it. Film looks interesting though, worst case I've learned about a neat looking film

This description has a strong Gregg Araki vibe to it but I'm not familiar enough with his oeuvre to say definitively if it's his.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

This description has a strong Gregg Araki vibe to it but I'm not familiar enough with his oeuvre to say definitively if it's his.

I was going to post this for him, along with another bit that he remembered, but someone else figured it out, it was The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981)

Thanks for chipping in folks, I appreciate it

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

I’m looking for a movie I saw on TV when i was very young, so it would have been the late 60s to early 70s. Pretty sure it was in black and white. I remember people being trapped/stuck in a house maybe up on a mountain surrounded by a fog/mist which was full of monsters / mutants or some such.

The only really distinguishing characteristic that set it apart was that at the end, instead of saying “The End” it said “The Beginning” or maybe “The Beginning?”

Thin, I know, but it’s been bothering me for a while and if someone could identify it I’d be grateful. TIA

Edit: Found it. A little Roger Corman number from 1955 called Day the World Ended

LongSack fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 30, 2021

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m trying to remember an actor, but I can’t think of his name or anything he’s been in specifically and it’s driving me nuts. He’s a character actor, not a leading man type, and I feel like he usually plays bad guys or at least smarmy types. He’s got one of those kind of tight faces, usually wears glasses and is balding. Kind of reminds me of a skinny John Carroll Lynch. Please help

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

J.K. Simmons?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

J.K. Simmons?

I am offended by the implication that I don't know who JK Simmons is but no, lower profile and darker hair.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I had to look up John Carroll Lynch and when I saw his pic, I imagined him thinner and with glasses and my first thought was the Farmers Insurance guy.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Zeljko Ivanek?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Jonathan Banks, Michael Ironside or John Kapelos?

Edit: Kurtwood Smith?

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 4, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Retro Futurist posted:

I’m trying to remember an actor, but I can’t think of his name or anything he’s been in specifically and it’s driving me nuts. He’s a character actor, not a leading man type, and I feel like he usually plays bad guys or at least smarmy types. He’s got one of those kind of tight faces, usually wears glasses and is balding. Kind of reminds me of a skinny John Carroll Lynch. Please help

Mike O'Malley?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nothing yet.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Steven Tobolowsky?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You guys are naming some very high profile people. This guy’s probably more of a tv actor I think

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Lynch looks like David Koechner.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Enrico Colantoni, Will Sasso, Hugh Dillon?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
"Name A Bald Man For Me!" Thread: Part 3D

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Not exactly skinny but tight features, and definitely not overweight I'd say

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Larry Miller?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Retro Futurist posted:

What's a tight face? Like gaunt?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

rodbeard posted:

Steven Tobolowsky?

Stephen Tobolowsky is a true treasure and I strongly, strongly recommend his podcast, The Tobolowsky Files.

The man can tell a story, my god.

Also, OP, you might want to either watch or check out the IMDB listing for the documentary made specifically about character actors called That guy... who was in that thing.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Patrick Fischler?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Terry O'Quinn?
Powers Boothe?
Stanley Tucci?

Vin Diesel?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Robert Picardo?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Rory Calhoun?!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

https://youtu.be/1PaxLSxQblM

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Still looking for an extremely obscure movie I saw in the mid 2000's on cable. White Whale thread had no idea.

It's from what I'm pretty sure is around the 2000 - 2006 time frame. (There's a chance it might actually be from late 90's... I remember Internet references in the film. I also remember being kind of surprised because I thought the film looked older than that, at the time I watched it.)

It's low budget and independent. I feel fairly certain I watched it on IFC from around that time. (But I could be mis-remembering that; it might have been something like Showtime, Cinemax, etc.)

It's a sci-fi romantic / alien love story sort of thing. The "alien" is just a dude that looks kind of like a dweeb, wearing what I remember looked like some kind of jump suit. He had a kind of autistic kind of vibe... difficulty showing emotions, etc. I remember he had what looked like a small clear plastic half sphere kind of "shield" on his hand, and it turned out he was able to deflect bullets with it.

He tells people he is an alien warrior (like a thrall from that one Star Trek OST episode), and people just kind of take him as being mental. But it's basically true. He ends up meeting girl and falling in love, etc.

I remember there were multiple Star Trek references. (I remember one character says the "brain and brain" line from Spock's Brain).

I remember looking the film up on IMDB after I watched it, but now I've completely forgotten the name and can't find it via Internet searching.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Bula Vinaka posted:

Still looking for an extremely obscure movie I saw in the mid 2000's on cable. White Whale thread had no idea.

It's a bit old for internet references, but I'll throw "Man Facing Southeast" in the room - just because it's the most fitting one that came up in a quick search for "movies similar to K-Pax", which might be a route you could check out, if you haven't done so already...

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I feel like I suggested this to you already but isn't that What Planet are You From starring Garry Shandling.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181151/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_4

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Richard Jenkins?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
It's not Man Facing Southeast, I remember a character talking about a website.

It's definitely not What Planet are You From.

I'll probably either never know, or I'll just happen upon it randomly at some point in the future, somehow.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s not The Specials, is it?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
No, it had no celebrities. It was low budget, and is the kind of cable movie that wasn't shown much, probably the pre-streaming era equivalent of some of those titles you find on modern streaming services that seem solely made to inflate their library, but occasionally, one is OK and makes an impression. On some rare occasions, I can remember the title of something like this... I would never have found Alligator Eyes again (for example) if I hadn't remembered the title.

But I posted because maybe someone happens to know what I'm talking about?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Retro Futurist posted:

Not exactly skinny but tight features, and definitely not overweight I'd say

John Benjamin Hickey

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nope. I'm going to have to take it to my grave I guess

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Bula Vinaka posted:

It's from what I'm pretty sure is around the 2000 - 2006 time frame. (There's a chance it might actually be from late 90's... I remember Internet references in the film. I also remember being kind of surprised because I thought the film looked older than that, at the time I watched it.)

It's low budget and independent. I feel fairly certain I watched it on IFC from around that time. (But I could be mis-remembering that; it might have been something like Showtime, Cinemax, etc.)

It's a sci-fi romantic / alien love story sort of thing. The "alien" is just a dude that looks kind of like a dweeb, wearing what I remember looked like some kind of jump suit. He had a kind of autistic kind of vibe... difficulty showing emotions, etc. I remember he had what looked like a small clear plastic half sphere kind of "shield" on his hand, and it turned out he was able to deflect bullets with it.

He tells people he is an alien warrior (like a thrall from that one Star Trek OST episode), and people just kind of take him as being mental. But it's basically true. He ends up meeting girl and falling in love, etc.

I remember there were multiple Star Trek references. (I remember one character says the "brain and brain" line from Spock's Brain).

I remember looking the film up on IMDB after I watched it, but now I've completely forgotten the name and can't find it via Internet searching.

Timing is a little off, but could it be "The History of Future Folk"? I don't remember a hand shield specifically, but the alien is just a dude in a weird suit. It's a charming little movie anyway, so even if that's not it you should check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
It's not that one either, but it looks interesting!