Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Retro Futurist posted:

I’m trying to remember an actor, but I can’t think of his name or anything he’s been in specifically and it’s driving me nuts. He’s a character actor, not a leading man type, and I feel like he usually plays bad guys or at least smarmy types. He’s got one of those kind of tight faces, usually wears glasses and is balding. Kind of reminds me of a skinny John Carroll Lynch. Please help

Is there any chance at all you can name the years he was active? Like, you first saw him in 1996 or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Is there any chance at all you can name the years he was active? Like, you first saw him in 1996 or something like that?

Not being able to remember specific things isn't helping but I'm going to say it feels like he's still actively working, but I feel like early/mid 2000s feels right. I keep thinking he was on something like Parks and Rec but I'm pretty sure I'm mixing him up with the guy who played the doctor there.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Maury Sterling from Homeland?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0827561/mediaindex/?ref_=nm_mv_close

Or these two guys from Fair Game (the not good one from 1995), who I see cropping up time and again, Marc Macaulay and Paul Dillon
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0531333/mediaindex?ref_=nm_phs_md_sm
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0227051/mediaindex?ref_=nm_phs_md_sm

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 8, 2021

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

First thing I thought of was the guy who played Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I’m trying to remember an actor, but I can’t think of his name or anything he’s been in specifically and it’s driving me nuts. He’s a character actor, not a leading man type, and I feel like he usually plays bad guys or at least smarmy types. He’s got one of those kind of tight faces, usually wears glasses and is balding. Kind of reminds me of a skinny John Carroll Lynch. Please help

Michael Ensign?
Hotel manager in Ghostbusters, businessman in Titanic, conservative politician in the First Contact TNG episode

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bitterandtwisted posted:

Michael Ensign?
Hotel manager in Ghostbusters, businessman in Titanic, conservative politician in the First Contact TNG episode

And the realtor in House (with Richard Katt, George Wendt, and Richard Moll).

Great campy horror movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm starting to think he's an Amalgam character I made up or something :tinfoil:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm starting to think he's an Amalgam character I made up or something :tinfoil:

To be honest the first guy I thought of was the dude who played Harry from Total Recall but he's not thin and also no one could forget that guy! "OH YEAH! RECALL, RE-CALL, REE-CAALL!!!!!"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

To be honest the first guy I thought of was the dude who played Harry from Total Recall but he's not thin and also no one could forget that guy! "OH YEAH! RECALL, RE-CALL, REE-CAALL!!!!!"

Also was Scarface’s boss when he was a dishwasher.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
First thought was Kurt Fuller as he's the first balding smarmy character actor that sprung to mind, but

Retro Futurist posted:

I keep thinking he was on something like Parks and Rec but I'm pretty sure I'm mixing him up with the guy who played the doctor there.

and the comment about darker hair makes me think I'm picturing entirely the wrong physical type.

Does he look a bit like the doctor from Parks and Rec? If so, maaaybe Brian Huskey?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Russell Dalrymple?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Richard Kind

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Russell Dalrymple?

Isn't that Bob Balaban's name in Seinfeld?

Also, Bob Balaban?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
(yes)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
This one's bugging me, because I should be able to find it, but I've been over my Letterboxd ratings multiple times over and can't spot it. So:
Sci-fi-meets-teen movie. Bunch of kids/young adults, probably 8 or so of them, go out to the Mojave (or some other similar southwestern desert) to have a little break/weekend vacation/party.

The specifics of the sci-fi escape me now, but I think they find out that they can't really leave the house anymore, in some sort of Sisyphean turn, where leaving simply brings them back to where they started. It eventually gets some horror inflection, as the number of certain items (cups? maybe?) reflects imminent deaths among the group, and they figure out they'll only be able to leave when there are a certain number of them left, or something? I wouldn't say it's an out and out horror film per se, though. I don't remember any splatter or dwelling on death scenes or anything, anyway.

Vaguely remember some scene with hiking out in the desert, and I think someone sorta falls off a small cliff? Can't even remember if they get hurt. Would be very surprised if it was from earlier than 2010, and really can't imagine it was before 2005.

That's all I got. It's not +1 or Project Almanac, but it is in that vein. Think it had a relatively bad reception, but I remember enjoying it much more than those two I just mentioned, or many others of its type.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 10, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My first thought is that Goatman creepypasta for some reason. They made a short (27mins) film out of that.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Managed to straight up brute force it by checking every single one of my 3.5 and 3.0 ratings in order until it showed up: Head Count (2018). Apparently much more straight up supernatural horror than I remember. Huh.

The_Doctor posted:

My first thought is that Goatman creepypasta for some reason. They made a short (27mins) film out of that.

But thanks for the effort anyway, appreciate it :)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Allyn posted:

Managed to straight up brute force it by checking every single one of my 3.5 and 3.0 ratings in order until it showed up: Head Count (2018). Apparently much more straight up supernatural horror than I remember. Huh.

I actually saw that one but I doubt I would have remembered the details you did. Glad you self solved!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Allyn posted:

Ohh, looking it up, it’s based on the Goatman thing, so I was a bit right!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Movie from within the past, maybe 10 years? Might've been foreign language. Plot involves a kidnapping/torture, I think. Towards the end, the investigators are closing in on the suspect and in his lair he has like a big vat of piss, because he was using it as a disinfectant.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Movie from within the past, maybe 10 years? Might've been foreign language. Plot involves a kidnapping/torture, I think. Towards the end, the investigators are closing in on the suspect and in his lair he has like a big vat of piss, because he was using it as a disinfectant.

Maybe 'The Treatment' (2014).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Ohh, looking it up, it’s based on the Goatman thing, so I was a bit right!
which Goatman thing

cause now I'm imagining a world where instead of Slenderman it was goatse that filtered out from the forum into public consciousness and horror pop culture and the potential results are both disturbing and highly entertaining

e: "before you die you see the ring"

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Origami Dali posted:

Maybe 'The Treatment' (2014).

Hmm, maybe? I watched the trailer and it didn't really ring a bell...but I'll look into it more. Thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

which Goatman thing

Anansi’s creepypasta

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I saw a movie on Netflix streaming maybe 8 years ago? It was an indie flick starring a woman who splits up with her partner and has a breakdown and finds herself.

The only details I remember are:

(1) the beginning of the movie starts with a flash forward, where the protagonist bumps into someone at the store, gets angry, and wipes her period blood on the other lady

(2) the protag works at an ice cream shop with a punk-ish type person?

I think it was set in the PNW?

I remember almost turning it off after the period blood scene, but the movie actually turned out really good. Thanks in advance!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
500 Days of Summer, maybe?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Not 500 days of summer - it was a very low budget movie that probably never hit theaters. It had that low-budget digital camera vibe

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

OH I found it: it was Rid of Me.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
The lower budget independent "art house" cinema is really hard for people to identify... because hardly anyone watches the films. :P

How did you find it? Maybe it will help me find the one I'm looking for.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I’m embarrassed to say that I found it by searching “indie movie period blood”. I should’ve thought of that first, haha. Try and put together some random stuff you remember about it into a search query and you might get lucky!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Anime movie about ww2 where a kid is stealing koi fish from a temple. Is that grave of the fireflies or something else?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Do you associate the film with a feeling of desolation and ineffable sadness at man’s inhumanity to man?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I think that's Barefoot Gen, an equally depressing (it's autobiographical) but less well-known film about little kids surviving the Hiroshima bombing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A while back I was looking for a cheesy fun movie I saw on SyFy back in the day, with Max Payne-esque noirisms a plenty. That movie is Matthew Blackheart: Monster Smasher. So good!

We need more movies with outrageous hard boiled one liner observations nonstop. Such a fine artform.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 31, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The movie I saw on the Disney channel in the 1980s.

It's set in Alaska, has to do with an old guy who just wants to live by himself who accidentally kills some kind of law enforcement and is then subject to a manhunt.

One of the people tracking him is a Alaskan native American, at one point the guy walks backwards and snowshoes to throw off the people pursuing him and at the end he causes an avalanche to bury himself rather than give up.

Never mind, figured out that it's called a challenge to be free..

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 1, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Heavy Metal posted:

A while back I was looking for a cheesy fun movie I saw on SyFy back in the day, with Max Payne-esque noirisms a plenty. That movie is Matthew Blackheart: Monster Smasher. So good!

We need more movies with outrageous hard boiled one liner observations nonstop. Such a fine artform.

You might be interested in Cast a Deadly Spell.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And if you're not then you're not my friend :colbert:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, you know I dig that movie! Anything hard boiled is delicious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

For sure, you know I dig that movie! Anything hard boiled is delicious.

Especially eggs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
caught a movie on cable sometime in the mid to late 90s.

It opens at an outdoor carnival at night (?) there's a clown sitting in a chair doing a finger gun at nearby buzzing flies. When he drops his thumb down, a fly drops to the ground as if shot and killed. All the while there's an annoying kid pestering the clown. The kid starts to walk away off screen and the clown points the finger gun at the kid. As he drops his thumb it cuts to the opening credits.

This is the only thing I remember.