Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

That's not from The Martian Chronicles. It's a Ray Bradbury short story called Mars Is Heaven. The adaptation is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAqtvKmCZZI

However, that's not what feedmyleg was after - it's too recent. From the description it could be Third From The Sun from S1 of Twilight Zone?

I literally linked the wikipedia page for the Martian Chronicles Epsidoe Synposis that describes it. From the 1980 Miniseries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Martian Chronicles is an anthology of all Bradbury’s short stories about Mars, plus some short pieces to link them together. It’s the same story in two places, as happened a few times with the 80s Bradbury tv show.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I think you may be after the Twilight Zone episode "Probe 7, over and out"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probe_7,_Over_and_Out

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

what dis

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Gymkata.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress I watched that too

now I'm just like...what is even the point of that

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I'm trying to remember a movie, probably from the 00s, where Holy Diver by Dio is used to comic effect. Could've been a 00s flash animation, so nobody strain themselves.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I'm trying to remember a movie, probably from the 00s, where Holy Diver by Dio is used to comic effect. Could've been a 00s flash animation, so nobody strain themselves.

Dio had a cameo in Tenacious D Pick of Destiny where he sang/was part of a musical segment, tho it wasnt Holy Diver it was 00s. Maybe that?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Flash animation makes me think it’s this from South Park:

https://youtu.be/arnwpUmmhvg

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Nah it's neither one of those. Could have been something from Newgrounds or YTMND for all I know, so it's probably best I just move on. Thanks anyway.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not really comedic but there's an extended Holy Dover bit in Brutal Legend

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think I remember seeing an ad where two tiny roboty things headbang to holy diver

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

nashona posted:

I went to a local Hong Kong film festival when I was in grad school at uiuc during the years 1996-1998. one of the movies was about this bland blonde white guy who goes to China to study(?) and falls in love with a local woman. he learned Chinese working in a Chinese restaurant state-side. the movie was in a Chinese language. I think it actually took place in mainland China. I feel like the movie, An American in China, is pretty drat close but it's in English, and but more importantly, it was released in 2008. and I don't remember Michael Gross, but that means nothing. the movie couldn't be older than 1980 I think. it was fairly contemporary when I saw it sometime between 1996-1998.

A dumb thought I had was something with Jeffrey Falcon, but that was partially because of some chatter I'd heard around 20 years ago that he'd spent time in mainland China, but I don't see anything on his IMDB that seems to tie into what you're describing.

However, the UIUC and 1996-1998 window you provide DOES offer up one glimmer of help, but probably not much:

The Octopus or Daily Illini newspaper archives? If ANY backissues were digitized and archived online somewhere, I'm guessing there would be some sort of promotional thing for it which also would possibly include titles or images that might help.

Downside: I'm not finding any evidence that any of them were ever saved in a digital format, which is both understandable and strange.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

A dumb thought I had was something with Jeffrey Falcon, but that was partially because of some chatter I'd heard around 20 years ago that he'd spent time in mainland China, but I don't see anything on his IMDB that seems to tie into what you're describing.

However, the UIUC and 1996-1998 window you provide DOES offer up one glimmer of help, but probably not much:

The Octopus or Daily Illini newspaper archives? If ANY backissues were digitized and archived online somewhere, I'm guessing there would be some sort of promotional thing for it which also would possibly include titles or images that might help.

Downside: I'm not finding any evidence that any of them were ever saved in a digital format, which is both understandable and strange.

Some of 1998's offerings:
- Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain
- Once Upon a Time in China and America
- Shanghai Grand
- Last Hurrah for Chivalry

Chicago's regular newspapers have bits and pieces of coverage of the various film fests. The 1998 festival was the 10th dedicated Hong Kong film fest, but Hong Kong films had also been featured in other Chicago international movie festivals, it seems.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The Twilight Zone/Outer Limits talk about astronauts finding a similar planet to Earth reminded me of an episode of one of those with a similar plot. A couple astronauts land on a planet, but everything there is huge. I seem to recall them trying to get away from a giant woman, who I seem to remember was a babushka type grandma. I can't remember if they get away or not. I believe it turns out they're small aliens that look like humans that have landed on Earth.

Another one that just came to mind from one of those series, was about a home being besieged by a giant. I remember a car, maybe a police car, being overturned and there beings a giant fingerprint on the car. Don't recall much else.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Detective Thompson posted:

The Twilight Zone/Outer Limits talk about astronauts finding a similar planet to Earth reminded me of an episode of one of those with a similar plot. A couple astronauts land on a planet, but everything there is huge. I seem to recall them trying to get away from a giant woman, who I seem to remember was a babushka type grandma. I can't remember if they get away or not. I believe it turns out they're small aliens that look like humans that have landed on Earth.

There was a whole 60s series called Land of the Giants?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4CIEaiA-RI

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Twilight Zone episode "The Invaders". The set-up is the woman is in a remote farmhouse fighting these little aliens who crashed on her roof. The twist is at the very end we learn that she is not an earth woman fighting tiny aliens, rather we're on another planet and she is a giant alien woman fighting earth astronauts.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sir Nose posted:

Twilight Zone episode "The Invaders". The set-up is the woman is in a remote farmhouse fighting these little aliens who crashed on her roof. The twist is at the very end we learn that she is not an earth woman fighting tiny aliens, rather we're on another planet and she is a giant alien woman fighting earth astronauts.

That's it. I misremembered the twist, obviously. Thanks.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Another one that just came to mind from one of those series, was about a home being besieged by a giant. I remember a car, maybe a police car, being overturned and there beings a giant fingerprint on the car. Don't recall much else.

That's another episode of The Twilight Zone called "The Fear."

https://twilightzone.fandom.com/wiki/The_Fear

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sir Nose posted:

[stoned voice]. Whhhoooaaahhhh.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sir Nose posted:

Just watched it, and those are some fat earth astronauts lol.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is from a friend, he's looking for a kid's tv show:

Rupert's friend posted:

Do you remember a show where the host would dance with a human sized puppet?

It was maybe less a puppet than a dummy. Looked liked a human man but creepy and she'd like waltz with him. He was her partner, but she was controlling all the movement and it was in a really dark room

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Today's Special?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Today's Special?

I suggested that, but to his knowledge, he's never seen that.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is from a friend, he's looking for a kid's tv show:
Tell him I don't have an answer but I loved him in the last Hitman movie :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

*slow clap*

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pilchenstein posted:

Real talk, what is up with that dude’s career.

He’s good but absolutely no rhyme or reason to what he does.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

explain plz

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The quote says rupert's friend, the actor for that movie was Rupert Friend

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh yeah, spin saber guy

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Pumpkin Head!(not that one)

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Quinn is the best character in Homeland.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Embarrassed I can't remember this, because I definitely liked the movie a lot, and probably saw it in the last few years. I definitely watched this movie on TV, I want to say on TCM.

Color film, fairly modern, or at least set in its present day. 70s or recent. Man is dating a woman. He's at a dinner at her rich family's house, who he wants to impress, as he's not of that class. There's a piano there. At this point in the film, he's said he can play the piano and is a composer, but it's unclear if he actually can or not, he might be lying. He's encouraged to play the piano and can't say no. He proceeds to play absurdly terribly, or at least not traditionally beautiful. It evolves into some sort of violently, angrily played avant garde piano piece. This upsets some guests (though I think one or two of them might have liked it, I can't remember). This is all a precursor though to him finishing his performance out by playing a traditional and difficult classical piano extremely well—proving that he can play anything.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I googled "movie scene badly piano performance" and after some digging, found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0vyMuAkOYQ

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Coaaab posted:

I googled "movie scene badly piano performance" and after some digging, found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0vyMuAkOYQ

Yes, this is it! Thanks so much!

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I've got something that's been at the back of my mind for years. This would have been playing on something like Showtime, Cinemax, or HBO in the late 80's early 90's. Possibly SYFY early 90's. I saw this several times as a kid and remember loving it.

Details are foggy, but here's what I remember. Two scientists discover a caveman skeleton. They take it's finger - I think it was a pinky finger - and began regrowing it's flesh. They eventually recreate the entire caveman in a lab and bring it back to life. Things of course go terribly wrong and it escapes. He murders the scientists. I remember it ending with the scientist's corpse missing the same finger that was taken from the caveman, though my brain may have added that bit.

Googling this story, the only thing I can find is Encino Man or Bela Lugosi's "Return of the Ape Man." Which this story seemed to have ripped off with a slight update and some gore. And of course, color film! It may have been part of an anthology movie or an episode from a TV show. I remember it being quite short. Any idea?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

paid money to post posted:

I've got something that's been at the back of my mind for years. This would have been playing on something like Showtime, Cinemax, or HBO in the late 80's early 90's. Possibly SYFY early 90's. I saw this several times as a kid and remember loving it.

Details are foggy, but here's what I remember. Two scientists discover a caveman skeleton. They take it's finger - I think it was a pinky finger - and began regrowing it's flesh. They eventually recreate the entire caveman in a lab and bring it back to life. Things of course go terribly wrong and it escapes. He murders the scientists. I remember it ending with the scientist's corpse missing the same finger that was taken from the caveman, though my brain may have added that bit.

Googling this story, the only thing I can find is Encino Man or Bela Lugosi's "Return of the Ape Man." Which this story seemed to have ripped off with a slight update and some gore. And of course, color film! It may have been part of an anthology movie or an episode from a TV show. I remember it being quite short. Any idea?

The Creeping Flesh

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Sir Nose posted:

The Creeping Flesh

WOW, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

paid money to post posted:

Carry On Screaming definitely has a "apeman regrown from finger" scene