Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I heard a story once that the director of Torque told half the cast that they were trying to make a motorcycle franchise like the fast and the furious, and the other half it was a parody of those movies. I've never tried to double check this because I will be gutted if it isnt true, and its a lot of fun to watch that movie and try and work out who was taking it seriously and who wasnt.

Edit to add; Even if its not true it sure seems it could be when you watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My Twitter Account posted:

What movie is this scene from?

It's a comedy about a hip-hop group. One guy is in the bathroom and there's no TP, and he starts rapping "I got no paper, I got no paper, I'm sittin' on the toilet and I got no paper," which they end up writing into a whole song.

Dont remember that scene particularly, but the only comedy about a hip hop group that springs to mind is "Fear of a black hat", so maybe that?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My Lovely Horse posted:

Seems like that would be the entire opposite of that scene

Considering the number of times someone in these threads gives a bunch of details then it turns out they were misremembering 90% of them, its got to be worth a punt.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Seriously the number of "well, theres this but its not from the 80s, its not in black and white, and hes a cowboy, not a knight" type correct guesses in this thread is staggering. Like every single detail the poster mentioned is wrong, but it turns out to be the right movie.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gripweed posted:

I saw this clip on twitter awhile ago, it looked pretty recent and also had an indie vibe. This lady sees two hot guys on the street out her window and invites them up, they come into her apartment, sit down on the bed, and she tells them to be careful because the sheets are very expensive. One of the guys says "but they aren't even soft?" or something to that effect, and then the woman says, "Sometimes expensive things....

are worse"

I mean, did you try googling it? Because thats all I did to find "the gay and wonderous life of caleb gallo". The set up and line are at about 1:08 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbhcRKsRwFM

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

rodbeard posted:

I like to think that they did 100 takes and that's the one where he broke the least.

I like to think they did one take and the director was like "gently caress yes. One and loving Done. We have achieved perfection, and anyone who disagrees can get the gently caress off my set."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heavy Metal posted:

Great flick, not that though. For sure didn't have a lead actor I could name, and I think it's say at least 15 years old. Tom Jane is beyond A list, he's AAA list.

Also, it might be a bit less leaning fully on the noir thing, maybe just general noir-ish camp and sci-fi like say Fifth Element. I mainly remember the main guy's lines are noir-ish meets Arnold or Bruce Campbell in over-the-top insanity. I believe he killed a husky cartoonish gangster in some dark SyFy channel style city street. Also it's possible I just thought it was a movie and was an obscure ep of TV like that one posted earlier.

Its only 8 years old, but sci-fi campy noir... It couldnt be the short lived show "Bullet in the face" could it?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mistaken Identity posted:

So, this is a movie I have been wondering about for 15 years whether i hallucinated it as a child or not. I remember almost nothing from it, except that it was incredibly weird and scary to me as a child.

I can only remember two distinct impressions from it:

In one scene there is a monstrous spider in the reflection of a mirror.

In one scene an armored knight on a horse (that kind of gave off a Don Quixote feeling) emerges from an elevator and rides of into modern streets.

I must have seen that movie some time in the 90s but I could never find it again as an adult and my parents can't recall anything like it as well.

the armoured knight in the modern streets makes me think Fisher King?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heavy Metal posted:

Here's a question, what movies feature a fictional Orson Welles? There's Ed Wood for one. Having a bit of google difficulty, when I search fictional Orson Welles in movies etc it's just telling me about the real guy. I seem to recall seeing that in at least one other thing, other than the recent Mank. Or maybe not, but figured worth checking!

Its not going to be a comprehensive list, but Welles wikipedia page has an "In popular culture" section which includes:

Wikipedias page on Orson Welles posted:

Director Peter Jackson cast Montreal actor Jean Guérin as Welles in his 1994 film, Heavenly Creatures.[238]
Vincent D'Onofrio portrayed Welles in a brief cameo appearance in Tim Burton's 1994 film, Ed Wood, where he briefly appears and encourages the eponymous filmmaker to fight for making his movies his own way in spite of his producers.[239]
Voice actor Maurice LaMarche is known for his Welles impression, heard in Ed Wood (in which he dubbed the dialog of Vincent D'Onofrio); the 1994–95 primetime animated series, The Critic; a 2006 episode of The Simpsons; and a 2011 episode of Futurama for which LaMarche won an Emmy Award. The voice he created for the character Brain from the animated series Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain was largely influenced by Welles.[240]
The 1996 film The Battle Over Citizen Kane, which chronicles the conflict between Welles and Hearst, was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.[241][242]
Welles is a recurring character in the Anno Dracula series by author and critic Kim Newman, appearing in Dracula Cha Cha Cha (1998) and Johnny Alucard (2013).[243][244]
In 1999 Welles appeared on a U.S. postage stamp in a scene from Citizen Kane. The United States Postal Service was petitioned to honor Welles with a stamp in 2015, the 100th anniversary of his birth, but the effort did not succeed.[245]
The 1999 HBO docudrama, RKO 281, tells the story of the making of Citizen Kane, starring Liev Schreiber as Orson Welles.[246]
Tim Robbins's 1999 film Cradle Will Rock chronicles the process and events surrounding Welles and John Houseman's production of the 1937 musical by Marc Blitzstein. Welles is played by actor Angus MacFadyen.[247]
Austin Pendleton's 2000 play, Orson's Shadow, concerns the 1960 London production of Eugène Ionesco's play Rhinoceros directed by Welles and starring Laurence Olivier. First presented by the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in 2000, the play opened off-Broadway in 2005[248] and had its European premiere in London in 2015.[249]
In Michael Chabon's 2000 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, the protagonists meet Orson Welles and attend the premiere of Citizen Kane.[250]
In the film Fade to Black (2006), a fictional thriller set during Welles's 1948 journey to Rome to star in the movie Black Magic, Danny Huston stars as Welles.[251]
Me and Orson Welles (2009), based on Robert Kaplow's 2003 novel,[252] stars Zac Efron as a teenager who convinces Welles (Christian McKay) to cast him in his 1937 production of Julius Caesar. McKay received numerous accolades for his performance, including a BAFTA nomination.[253]
Welles is the central character in "Ian, George, and George," a novelette by Paul Levinson published in 2013 in Analog Science Fiction and Fact magazine.[254]
In 2014 comedic actor Jack Black portrayed Welles in the sketch comedy show Drunk History.[255]
A 2014 documentary by Chuck Workman, Magician: The Astonishing Life and Work of Orson Welles, was released to critical acclaim.[256][257]
Rapper Logic samples Orson Welles twice on his 2020 album No Pressure, with a portion of the August 11, 1946 "Orson Welles Commentaries" episode featured as the outro to the album, titled Obediently Yours.
Tom Burke portrayed Welles in David Fincher's 2020 film, Mank, which focuses on Herman J. Mankiewicz, the co-writer of Citizen Kane.
Welles is portrayed by three avatars as he comes to grip with his own death in the 2020 filmopera Orson Rehearsed[258] by composer director Daron Hagen.[259]

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Davros1 posted:

One I'm looking for. Can't remember if it was from a Sketch Comedy (like SNL, MadTV, etc) show, or part of a show like Community or 30 Rock, but it was "documentary" about the making of a Hollywood Musical. A black and white musical, with a nautical theme, and just how the production kept going off the rails, and in the end, the resulting film was so offensive, it was never shown.

Daddys Boy, in the show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt? First link I could find, someone appears to have filmed their TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1CyJCl24A

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 22, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tias posted:

We enjoy discussing movies with my godmother, who, it must be said, gets very confused and forgets all sorts of details. Help us determine what she watched last night!

There was a father dressed in white, and his two sons, one the hero and one evil. They may have been gods. The evil son kills the father with a spear, and also kills the good guys girlfriend, but she is pulled back from the 'realm of death' at some point.

They also get wings, or maybe change shapes, while fighting. They fly, for certain. Also, one of them is blinded by the other, but eventually regains his eyesight, perhaps by putting something in the eye sockets?

We've determined for certain that it's neither a marvel movie or pertaining to the norse gods, and it's not one the Mummy films, which she's also seen.

Doesnt fit all the details, but: Gods of Egypt? Also, did she watch it on Netflix. Prime, a DVD, or on broadcast TV? (I'm presuming not on streaming or you could just have her check her watch history).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

smokestacks posted:

Scene from a psychological thriller movie, probably from around 2000-2010. In the scene, character A is telling character B this story about a group of people going to visit an asylum. As the group of people is being shown around, they start to realize that the people locked up in the cells are actually the doctors and the people showing them around are actually the inmates, i.e. the classic inmates running the asylum story. As character A is telling the story, it's also shown visually in the style of a grainy old 1920s film.

Is it Severance (from 2006)? I think its one of the stories they tell each other about the lodge before they start to get attacked. A surprisingly good horror comedy for the record, despite having Danny Dyer in it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

therattle posted:

Harold Pinter cast Dyer in several of his plays.

I worked on Severance (on the sales side.). Decent film actually. If you like that kind of thing.

I'm a big fan of horror comedy as a genre, and Severence for me hits the sweet spot; Exactly the right mix of horror and comedy to be funny and also genuinely tense. A lot of films dont get that balance right and you just end up with a comedy thats got some gore in it, or a bad horror movie with an ill judged slapstick scene near the end. I saw it in the cinema when it came out and recommended it to so many people. It helps that the cast are mainly solid experienced actors; Much as Danny Dyer is an easy target, I do actually think hes not half bad at what he does, he just has gently caress all range (or if he has it I've never seen him demonstrate it), and I dont think the man has ever turned down a script. If you want a cockney wideboy or low level east end gangster then Dyer will turn in a perfectly serviceable performance at a fraction of the cost of your Cillian Murphys or Tom Hardies,

gently caress, now I need to rewatch it, not seen it in years. Think my halloween weekend this year might be Severence, Tucker and Dale vs Evil and Attack the Block.

Jedit posted:

It's like Hostel except good. I think I might rewatch it for the October Horror Challenge.

Honestly considering how many comedy horror zombie movies there are, I'm faintly surprised that we didnt get more attempts at comedy hostel style movies when they were the big hotness in horror fir a few years. There's Severence, a film called Botched which I have seen, own on DVD but have literally no memory of except "its a film that exists that I didnt like as much as severence", and thats all I can think of off the top of my head. But then I guess there arent that many horror comedies in any given year, its more that the zombie ones have built up over the years (plus Shawn of the Dead was a big hit, and zombies are cheap special effects to do).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I'm trying to remember a film I tried to watch a couple of years ago but fell off. It was a western, Japanese or Korean movie that I think was made during the 80s or 90s that had these colorful, super stylized sets and costumes that looked very theatrical. Not a lot to go on but I hope this rings a bell for somebody because this it driving me nuts.

Hero is from 2002 and is Chinese rather than Japanese or Korean, but does make a lot of use of vivid colours, so maybe that?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I'm trying to remember a film I tried to watch a couple of years ago but fell off. It was a western, Japanese or Korean movie that I think was made during the 80s or 90s that had these colorful, super stylized sets and costumes that looked very theatrical. Not a lot to go on but I hope this rings a bell for somebody because this it driving me nuts.

Wait, do you mean that the genre was a Western (cowboy) movie and that it was Japanese or Korean, in which case the only thing that jumps to mind is The Good, The Bad and The Weird (and its definitely not Hero), or do you mean that you dont know if the movie was made in the west, japan or korea, and didnt specify a genre, in which case I stick by my wild punt at Hero.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

JediTalentAgent posted:

Movie 1: I only know this from the back of a video cassette box from the very late 80s/very early 90s. Never saw the movie, but the general plot synopsis is:

In the future if you don't pay your life insurance policy, some company will send an agent to kill you. Main character hasn't paid or something and he's being hunted down by said agent.

Obviously, a corny premise, but I have no idea if it was a sci-fi comedy with that premise or if it was played straight as a sci-fi actioner or what.

Could it be Freejack from 1992? The premise isnt exactly what you said, but I'm taking a punt based on early 90s sci fi, person being hunted by agents. It was set in the far flung sci fi future of 2009.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Medullah posted:

Is that a Jake and the Fatman reference? Definitely a reference today's youth will get

I feel like todays youth probably werent born when that episode aired.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hollandia posted:

I have a weird memory of just the end of this movie - the president (?) has been replaced by a clone or something and to identify him his best friend / bodyguard asks him a question about a fishing trip they once took and how many fish they caught that day. The president answers by giving the story they told everyone, which was a lie. And then the hero shoots him and walks off into the sunset.

You'd think this would be easily Google-able but I just can't find it.

Freejack has the idea of asking a question to find out if its the original or not, but it wasnt a fishing trip and the guy asking wasnt the hero. It was a secret number.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gripweed posted:

There's an absolute dogshit movie I saw a while back, clearly trying to be a ripoff of Fargo with a dash of Tarantino. It's set up north somewhere, in the winter. An insurance salesman type guy somehow gets into a plot to rip off an old man for a violin that turns out to be worth a ton of money. The big twist at the end is that it was somehow a plot to rip off the insurance guy, and like everyone was in on it. The old guy, the violin appraiser, all of the insurance guy's friends and colleagues, even nameless background extras were in on this plot. And the plot required the insurance guy to make a ton of very specific and unlikely choices all along the way. Like, he had to turn down the violin buyer's first offer, if he took it then the whole plan would've been hosed. And if at any point he had decided to back out of the scheme, like say after people started appearing to die, then the plan would've been hosed. Just dogshit movie. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

The plot sounds like a variant on a old (and famous) con which TV tropes has called the "violin scam" (Its in American Gods, and the Discworld book "Going Postal", among others). Googling "Violin Scam movie" suggests, 2011s "Thin Ice", https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512240/ which sounds right

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 18, 2022

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nordick posted:

With Harry and the book in his pocket? Nah, not it.

I should have specified, the "nonchalantly grabs/lights a cigarette before falling over" part is the core common denominator here.

Never saw this one.

I swear I've seen a scene like the ones being discussed but the camera only sees they've been hurt when the smoke from their cigarette starts coming out the hole in their chest, but I cant place it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DRINK ME posted:

Thinking about a movie that may or may not exist…

I watched The Siege (1998) with a friend while we were hungover and we started talking about movies where New York is locked down/cut off.

We both thought there was another one similar to The Siege where it’s a military thing, possibly terrorist driven, but haven’t come up with it. We’ve ruled out Escape from NY, The First Purge, Cloverfield, I am Legend, and Red Dawn (not NY but military occupation).

Is there another movie where the military cuts off/locks down/occupies New York or part of it?

21 Bridges I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mustached5thGrader posted:

A movie from 20 plus years ago I saw on tv where a punk looking guys head popped out of the shower head?

Not an exact match but The Frighteners maybe?