Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

hexwren posted:

This one is "what the gently caress was the person next to me on the flight home this afternoon watching on their phone, which was on the seatback in front of them"

I believe it's netflix, because I could swear I saw the words "netflix original series" on some credits at some point. But the thing that made me actually wonder what the gently caress it was, because all the actors were generic white people looking intense, was a moment on the screen where there was nothing but the word "YOU" in all caps, in a serif font, changing color from white to a mottled blood red.

what even the gently caress is that poo poo

maybe it was a trailer? idk

Probably the show “You”!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Do any of y’all remember a cartoon which I believe was on Reading Rainbow of a boy who wakes up as a pet of a teenage dinosaur living in a world where dinosaurs are like people? My Google fu is failing me here.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Rahonavis posted:

Could it be “The Double-Disappearance of Walter Fozbek”? That was a “white whale” of mine for years.

Holy poo poo. That’s it.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Action(?) movie where two fighters are rolling around on the ground, one has a pen, jabs it into the other, then smacks the clicker on top to jab him even more.

Bourne Identity?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Doesn’t it happen in one of the Austin powers movies? Or Loaded Weapon 1? I feel like it’s a spoof thing.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Acht posted:

Not it, but that's one hell of an IMDB entry:
"A homicide detective and an anthropologist try to destroy a South American lizard-like god, who's on a people eating rampage in a Chicago museum. "
I must see it now.

Also, not Cujo. :)

An excellent four pack of Roger Ebert reviews: The Relic, Congo, The Mummy, Anaconda

My dude just loving loved goofy-rear end movies.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

cr0y posted:

Can someone help me figure out what movie I am thinking of?

The plot is some post-9/11 war on terror flick about a soldier who is sent...somewhere and is going crazy from boredom, he ultimately gets involved in the enhanced interrogation program and eventually gets outted on national television through some news report. It's a more recent movie (within the past 5-10 years or so). I have seen it before but cannot for the life of me remember what it was called or even who was in it.

Part of Zero Dark Thirty is the outing of the CIA guys who have to leave the country. Not the main characters though.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Ok also remembering from film class a movie that we saw a clip from but not the whole movie. I think it was maybe a Fellini but I can’t remember exactly. I’m pretty sure it’s Italian. The clip was sort of a behind the scenes about them using an elaborate camera crane setup to film a balcony scene or something like that. I remember a lot of gold and yellow colors from the scene. And maybe some ornate masonry. The movie looked really good. Sorry this is really vague

This is annoying because I know exactly the shot you’re talking about. It’s a street festival showing the dynamism of going from street to balcony to rooftop.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Definitely what I was picturing

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Sorry no. It was a noirish film but more psychological and less action. Also the kidnappers targeted children of criminals if I remember correctly.

Payback?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

sigher posted:

Ok, so I think this might be a mash-up of two films and imagination that I've seen and known for sure, but:

I remember seeing trailers to some film with like... some witches or something in a forest who were part of some tribal/savage clan thing and had dwellings in trees. I remember the savages basically being nude or something and some tit, so I don't know how I this was even a trailer. I remember the word "Brotherhood" in the title, but I THINK it came out around the time that Brotherhood of the Wolf did (2001) so I think I managed to get the name from that film.

So... I think the film I'm thinking of is The 13th Warrior because I remember the group venturing out into the forest and the leader of the savage tribe is female (I believe) but I don't remember any nudity or tree houses. It's probably The 13th Warrior but that came out 3 years earlier, can anyone think of a film like it that came out around 2001? Also I never saw it, just the trailer so I probably made all this poo poo up.

13th Warrior was essentially grendel’s mom and they journey to go kill her. She was naked ish, I think. Was not really a tree heavy movie that I remember.

Still slaps though.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Clive Owen has such a weird career arc

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I'm trying to remember a horror film that I want to say is an early talkie, definitely before the '40s. It centers around a hotel, or apartment building, in which there are mysterious deaths. The conclusion has something to do with gas being pumped through the plumbing.

That’s part of the plot of Dashiell Hammett’s “The Dain Curse”

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

There’s a scene in a movie where a guy is talking to another guy. Trying to explain how to act. Something along the lines of being cool and mysterious. The audience isn’t sure if they like him or not. A real lee Marvin.

In my head it sounds like Tarantino but also maybe Vince Vaughn? I’ve checked swingers and reservoir dogs and I can’t find the exact quote anywhere.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

MarioOnTheComputer posted:

It's Vince Vaughn from Swingers. "I don't want you to be the guy in the PG-13 movie..."

Edit: This is right before he get's Nikki's number at the bar. (Dresden?)

Yes! I was conflating it with the “you’re a bear” scene

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

Okay, I watched this movie in the past two years or so. It was pre-pandemic. I think it’s an actually recent movie; my wife thinks it is old.

All I can remember is a scene close to the end, maybe even the climax.

There’s a (I think) Russian guy who is one of the bad guys. He has an ice skater girlfriend. Someone else—I think another kind of bad guy—wants something from him and takes his girlfriend hostage (I think in the ice rink). The girlfriend is killed.

I want to say it was an action thriller or spy movie, but that seems wrong.

Edit: it was Ronin! Googling “ice skater sniper movie” sorted me out

RIP Katarina Witt

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Is it possible you’re thinking of Rescuer’s Down Under and changing out the fox for a lizard?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I’ve only ever seen screenshots of this movie and just read the plot and lol’d a lot

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

I’m thinking of a made-for-TV movie from the 1990’s that involves tiny aliens landing on Earth around Halloween, and a family that lives in a shack by a lake takes care of them while they fix their ship.

Spaced Invaders

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Davros1 posted:

The Book of Henry?

So bad the director lost Star Wars

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Hot drat. A made for TV movie about the wonders of doing keto with a cameo from the dietician behind it? 90s were weird.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Dresden Files tv show OR Michael Madsen’s tv show Vengeance Unlimited

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Wasn't those, but always digging more hard boiled stuff. That Madsen show looks funny

It doesn’t hold up as well as I had hoped.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Sounds like Dr. Jekyll and Ms Hyde - a really terrible movie about a scientist that turns himself (by accident) into a horny woman who uses sex to climb the corporate ladder. eep. Supposed to be a comedy. I have no idea which one of my VHS movies this was a trailer in front of but drat if that isn't burned in my brain.

Tim Daly and Sean Young. Tim Daly told an off the record story about her to AV Club’s random roles that I would be very curious to hear.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I’ve had a flash of a movie in my head since....Jesus it might be one of my oldest memories? It would be the late 80s. Animated movie. I want to say it was Japanese style in animation, but I can’t say for certain.

The image I remember is a little kid and an...animal? An anthropomorphic something that had a tail. They’re on a floating block. Kind of like the floating block levels from Mario. And a witch(?) fires a spell and hits the animal sidekick in the tail and it turns the furry tip of the tail into a square block.

That is literally all I remember. I’ve thought about this off and on for over thirty years.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Unico in the Island of Magic

Goddamn, thank you

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Abugadu posted:

I hadn’t heard of this movie, and a quick look at the wiki had me busting out laughing at the first line of the description:

*looking around Warsaw*

“The gods have abandoned this place”

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Travic posted:

I've been trying to remember a movie for years and just broke down and decided to ask here.

I think it was a Blade Runner-esque sci-fi cop movie.

It was late 80s or early 90s.

I only remember one scene. They were trying to catch a killer so they set up a sting operation with a cop (android?) taking a fake shower. They're watching from the next building. The killer manages to get in kill and dismantle the android and escape without getting caught.

Very strange I know. Buts that's all I remember. I remember it also scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

That also sounds like the beginning of F/X 2

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Travic posted:

That's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtWL0iQxE7U

I just wish I the clip went on a little longer because I clearly remember they go into the bathroom and there's dismembered body (robot?) parts everywhere. But that is clearly a real guy there.

Thanks. I'm very impressed.

There’s an animatronic clown later. F/X 2 is a lot more ridiculous than the original

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Watching Soul has reminded me of an American 80s film. I think it’s got observers from the afterlife watching a guy on earth go through various trials and they’re doing VO commentary on how he’s doing. The two observer voices are a man and a woman.

Defending Your Life?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I think it might be this?

Maybe with a side of this?

Defending Your Life is a classic. It’s not announcers but heavenly lawyers debating whether you should move on or go back to earth to try again. They call up scenes from your life and debate them.

Herman’s Head was like Pixar’s Inside Out but with the first condom commercial to ever air

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Some random clip I can’t remember and it’s driving me crazy. I feel like it’s within the last 5 years or so: a woman (I think) hears some news she likes but has to act like it’s bad so she says “ohhhh nooooo” in a really fake way. It’s played for comedy.

Almost positive that’s Fat Amy from Pitch Perfect

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

lol

From looking at tv tropes (which honestly reads like I'm having a stroke at times :v:), I discovered that Tim Robbins does more or less the exact thing I'm thinking of (kills himself to stop his wife from attempting a futile rescue) in Mission to Mars but I've not seen that. I'm doubting myself that it might've involved a fight now but it's definitely someone killing themselves to deter a rescue of some kind.

Vertical Limit: 1 time a dude cuts his climbing rope rather than let someone risk rescuing him the other time a dude cuts the climbing rope to send one dude to his death rather than all of them to their death

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

sigher posted:

Mid 2000s film I believe, I remember the movie taking place at night. I think one was a taxi driver and the passenger was holding him hostage with a gun and he had a briefcase with something important in it. I remember most of the film being them driving around aimlessly having conversation [and the passenger kills a lot of people] until the middle or end of the film when the passenger exists the vehicle or something to go somewhere and I think the Taxi driver takes it upon himself to chase the passenger down and confront him.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Definitely not a movie, but I am convinced I saw an SNL sketch about an actress and an actor getting ready for an emotional scene. The male actor says that wardrobe does a good job of supplying fake tears. The female actress says she doesn’t need them because she remembers the childhood car accident that she was in that killed her whole family and ended with her father’s severed head in her lap and she kept saying it’s ok daddy, I’m ok.

The male actor starts sobbing and they do their scene.

Cut to the oscars where the male actor wins and gives a speech about his family dying in a car accident, stealing his costar’s tragedy. The sketch ends with the actress being dragged away from the Oscars while screaming that she wants his severed head in her lap.

In my head this is Linda Hamilton and Kevin Nealon, but I’ve checked review sites of SNL episodes and it’s not mentioned at all under her episode. It would be about that timeframe though.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Yep, except it was Phil Hartman and the host, Miranda Richardson. The sketch took place on a set for a movie called “The Rain People.”

Why do I remember this when I can’t remember the name of half the people in my office? Brains are dumb.

Goddamn. I scrolled past a the Miranda Richardson episode yesterday thinking it’d never be her

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Bit of a departure from the norm but I’m trying to remember a music video from 1998-2003 where the defining image in my head was that the drummer (who I picture being in a warehouse or other open space like that) had red drumsticks which stood out against the black backdrop.

I could’ve sworn this was David Gray’s “Babylon”, and that’s definitely the vibe of the song. In my memory, it wasn’t a band it was just a dude’s name. Also I’m pretty sure that the drum part that focused on the sticks was him hitting the rim and not the actual skin of a snare drum.

Thanks!

edit: it totally was Babylon. Google provides the official video which was the first one filmed around London. He made a different music video when the song became a single in the states but it looks like that one isn’t as popular on the ol’ search engines

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 12, 2021

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

I have two:

1) A kids movie probably from the '90s, where the young protagonist's cousin(?) comes to stay with him and he brings some novelty joke items, including a couple of those plastic fake vomits. I remember him holding up the vomits and explaining how one was original and one had peas and carrots.

Toys has a scene where they discuss what should go into fake vomit and the peas and carrots were specifically called out.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

Not exactly skinny but tight features, and definitely not overweight I'd say

John Benjamin Hickey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

This was my guess as well. It fell down the content black hole like so many 90's Showtime series like Bedtime with Felicity Huffman, Rude Awakenings with Sherilyn Fenn, and Beggars and Choosers. I have very positive recollections of all of those series and I doubt I'll ever see them again. I'm guessing they wrote awful contracts back them and lost the rights or something.

Edit: Cool! Sherman Oaks exists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUp3kiMs0hI

Edit: They all exist via awesome youtube archivists! Time to either reinforce my impressions or destroy my nostalgia!

I remember an episode where his wife wanted him to get into tantric sex and needed him to go tap his testicles 12 times a day. So she goes “can you sneak into the bathroom 12 times a day at work” “Jesus Christ I’m not in junior high anymore”

I miss adult programming so much