Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

sigher posted:

I saw a movie some years ago about a young girl who lives in a whorehouse somewhere and she crawls through walls and trap doors to get wherever she wants. The place is run by some military dude who I think tried pimping the young girl out or something.

Pretty Baby?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Baby_(1978_film)

It's a weird creepy movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

sigher posted:

It was more recent and I also think it was foreign? I don't think you saw much of the outside world in the film but whatever you did see looked war torn/post apocalyptic, and the building she was in was nasty and filthy.

Delicatessen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delicatessen_(1991_film)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've probably posted this before, a black and white Italian movie that starts with the camera following a guy on a vespa through an Italian city while a cheerful song plays in the background. The annoying thing is I once found a video of a woman singing the same song and I still can't find it. I think maybe the song was about Voodoo or zombies.

edit: I have the feeling that the movie was more modern than black and white would suggest.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 14, 2020

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

hexwren posted:

trying to remember something weird someone I know streamed way back in the day (like two or three years ago)

almost definitely european (german or french probably. maybe polish?)
set in an apartment building where all the tenants are extremely dysfunctional
something horrific in the basement?
some sort of subplot about the local equivalent of child protective services, whose agent possibly gets murdered in the course of events?

Delicatessen?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RtGq58LZnE

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Jenny Agutter posted:

I have a memory from a film I've been trying to place. It's a flashback to the main character as a kid and his mother at an art gallery, I think it was a reception. There's a work of art on the wall that has a bicycle wheel and the mom spins it. An attendant comes around the corner and sees the wheel still in motion and the mom like glares at the kid and pulls him away. I swear this was in Beginners (2010) the first time i saw it but I've never seen this scene in it on repeated viewings.

This is really familiar and I can't place it, I think its a good deal older that 2010 if that helps.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

MisterFister posted:

Looking for a british film I think where a professor (philosophy maybe) goes on vacation to a beach house or something and has friends and former lovers over and they just talk about life and stuff.

Could be remembering this wrong. Saw it years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter%27s_Friends

Peter's Friends?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

human garbage bag posted:

Yeah that's not it, in my case the boy took a step over a ledge and a brick magically flew up and secured itself under his foot. Then he kept taking more steps and more bricks flew up, building the castle.

I think there is a scene like that at the end of "Laputa: Castle in the Sky" by Hayao Miyazaki, one of the main characters has to scramble around as the castle re-configures itself.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

EclecticTastes posted:

This is probably a long shot, but I could use some help identifying a few less-than-half-remembered films from my childhood, as they're kinda stuck in my head. Bear with me on the vague descriptions, I was very young at the time. Also there's a non-zero chance one of them was just a dream I had about seeing a film but the film doesn't actually exist.

1. I saw this movie in class, in first grade, late 1995, and it may have been a European film (we had also watched The Red Balloon in class once, for some reason). It was a live action film, involving a boy and an older relative (I think grandfather), and two sentient, talking, but still completely inanimate, toys. Like, they talked to each other, not the humans, as I recall. I don't clearly recall the exact form of the toys, but there's a sort of sense memory linkage between them and the walking pair of binoculars from Toy Story, so I assume large eyes and a sort of chunky aesthetic were features (they might have been trucks of some kind, but I don't want to get too definitive with such a shaky recollection), and I think they were blue and red. I vaguely recall one scene where the red one was still in, like, the blister pack in a store. I think maybe the kid stole one of the toys or something? But I think I also remember a scene of one of them being discarded? It may have been an educational film of some sort, given the context, but god only knows what it was trying to teach.

2. This was a weekend rental when I was about four or five, so, around 1994. It was a simple animated film about some generic cartoon forest critters (I think; there may have been more variety to the cast) and also a talking balloon (the only character I remember as definitely existing; my fuzzy memory recalls the balloon being either pink or blue, which I doubt is much help). My best guess is it was some small European/Russian film that made its way over here, similar to Samson & Sally (which I owned/drove my mother insane rewatching, though apparently it was Scamper the Penguin that truly traumatized her; they shared a VHS). It had that sort of flat, simple color palette that's the hallmark of cheap children's entertainment (though I recall the actual drawings to have been better than the likes of Dingo Pictures). Now, I vaguely recall there being some sort of covert alien invasion going on in the plot with the balloon as the mastermind and he gets popped at the end, but that whole bit could have been a dream I had after seeing the movie that has since just kinda merged with the film itself in my memory. Or, in fact, I might have just seen the box at the video store, had the dream, and never seen the movie at all. I hold out very little hope of finding the truth behind this one.

3. A made-for-TV movie that I think may have also been an ad, similar to Mac & Me, but featuring a character who was, like, found as the "prize" in a box of cereal and needed water (or, in the film's context, milk) added to take form and do whatever. I could be completely misinterpreting the memory, though, I mostly just remember the imagery of a little shrunken, dried-out looking dude (I wanna say he was yellow and red, like Ronald Mcdonald) and a bowl of cereal, on a back patio, on one of those tables with the parasol in the middle. I was between the ages of three and five for this one, as well. Pretty sure the character was an alien. I do not recall what he looked like rehydrated. I think there were at least two human characters, a brother and sister. This could possibly just be a heavily distorted amalgam of memories of Mac & Me, but watching it on MST3K didn't really clear much up on that front.

That's all I got, and if you think that's bad, I've in the past had to piece together from just seconds-long memories from back when I was in, like, kindergarten: The Last Halloween (the Hanna-Barbera special), the 1991 French-British thriller Afraid of the Dark, and It's the Girl in the Red Truck, Charlie Brown (a film starring Snoopy's cousin, Spike, as he plays houseguest to a pair of actual-rear end live-action humans and basically just does some tourism around southern California like a really dull fanfic). I saw a lot of poo poo one could easily assume was just a weird dream back then.

1. Could be "Batteries not included" Grandfather and sentient toys are there. 2. might be a Barbapapa film of some sort.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Think I've posted this here before, but I'll try again. It's a black and white Italian film, I've only ever seen the title sequence which is shot from a moving car which is following a person on a scooter around the streets of an Italian city. The music is a rather upbeat older song with a female singer.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Skeeve Minor more like.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

therattle posted:

Does anyone know what film scene where a character say something like “then you’re no use to me!“? It may be goldmember, but I can’t find that clip anywhere.

There's a scene in Snatch when Bricktop says something similar to someone.

"Turkish : I can't make him fight, can I?

Brick Top : You're not much good to me alive, are you, Turkish?"

yaffle fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Hughlander posted:

One that came up today...

1980s type movie. Military/FBI/Government rolls in on suburban town and sets up a mobile command center. Specifically stabilizers come out of the command post at a right angle and people run up with bolt guns to bolt them into the concrete.

I feel it's something like ET, or The Manhattan Project something like that, but couldn't find it in quick searches.

Maybe Outbreak?