Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

By coincidence I watched Torque for the first time yesterday and was posting elsewhere about the very good and perfect scene you're referencing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBCeFJ66oRM

This effectively represents the entire movie, both in tone and content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

busalover posted:

What's the Hellraiser sequel that feels like a crossover with Mulholland Drive? Feel like watching it now.

Deader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nD0BLTV2s

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

busalover posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that one lol. No, the one I mean had a black-haired detective solving a murder, I think.

Oh, that'd probably be Inferno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77yCHOd3c60

I might've binged the entire Hellraiser series at the start of quarantine :v:

Edit: that also kinda describes Hellraiser Judgement, though that's more a Se7en-ish vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxvrmWijW2A

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

happyhippy posted:

:aaa: TIL there's a Scanners 2 and Scanners 3, and are so bad they should have been on MST3000.

There's also a Scanner Cop and Scanner Cop 2 in the same universe! I actually clipped the original scene that was posted, edited carefully to remove all context from why he's dancing and why she's giving him the strongest possible look, because when I got to that scene in Scanners 3 I couldn't get past it and had to inflict it on others.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Ape Agitator posted:

Hitman from 2007. Someone has kindly uploaded it to YouTube and the scene is about 13 mins in.

Edit: I might be thinking of the sequel, which is too recent. Hold on

Edit2: now I'm down my own rabbit hole. I was certain the plot of Hitman was it but now I've blended two movies together.

If it's any consolation I went down the same rabbit hole last night, certain that the assassination from the start of 2007's Hitman was it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

If we're in a PBS'n mood, I'm still on the hunt for mine from the white whale thread

DoombatINC posted:

I have two, both related. They were bumpers that aired in between programs during daytime children's shows on I thiiiink PBS in the early to mid 90s.

One was animated, with these weird alien/monster creatures on a black background. A voice would state the number of them and identify the type of creature, with each group getting bigger by one so as to teach you how to count (???).

The other was live-action with an armless dude painted a bright color demonstrating through song and example that excluding different people is wrong. At one point a cop yells at him "Put your hands up!" to which he responds "But I don't have any" in an odd, dreamy tone.

This would've been the Seattle / Eastside PBS feed, no later than '96 and maybe as early as '89-'90

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Doesn’t one of the death wish movies open on a scene like that

I skimmed all the original Death Wish movies and none of the attacks quite lined up with those details

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Thank you! Even if you can't find it, it's reassuring to know that my brain didn't fabricate it whole cloth :)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Tangentially relevant:

DRINK ME posted:

College kids going camping. See a yeti type creature by the water. Not sure exact sequence here: either they chase it or it chases them, I think they camp at least one night and then they end up “somewhere else”.

I've been on a huge exploitation binge and this describes about forty movies made between 1970 and 1989 - if you add "then someone gets hosed by the yeti" it'd maybe cut the list in half

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Boogeyman!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsniWbTNDjw

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

It's worth a watch if you're a fan of weird, campy horror - it's surreal and dream-like in a way that works for it, and the antagonist is certainly unique

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

The opening scene is a US family looking for a quarter in their yard with a metal detector. They find one and use it to run the coin-operated TV in their living room for a few minutes. Also, maybe someone works at Sizzler later in the movie? That's all I remember, probably 1990-1999

That would be the surrealist counter-culture comedy group Firesign Theatre's Nick Danger in The Case of the Missing Yolk (1983) (timestamped at the scene you're remembering)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcm8tsuubPg&t=331s

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

morestuff posted:

There was also that weird CBS show with the brother from Everybody Loves Raymond called Til Death that had a bizarrely long season that went insanely meta and weird because no one was watching but they wanted to hit their syndication episode count

Yeah, specifically a last-season plot thread was one of the minor characters on the cast becoming aware of the cameras / audience / limits of the sets and having a nervous breakdown as a result

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Some that spring to mind,

Day of the Jackal (1973) - a suppressed .22 rifle pieced together from false crutches
eXistenZ (1999) - a body horror tooth gun assembled from the carcass of a meal
From Paris with Love (2010) - a handgun snuck past airport security in multiple energy drink cans
In the Line of Fire (1993) - a two shot ceramic handgun snuck into and assembled at a presidential dinner

e:f,b

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Might want to check your math there, chief.

It's been a long decade, 35 might be lowballing it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

goth smoking cloves posted:

Hey there,

Does anyone know where this clip comes from?

https://i.imgur.com/v4l3ovB.mp4

reposting from the other thread

DoombatINC posted:

I Believe in Santa Claus (1984) (aka J'ai rencontré le Père Noël), a french christmas movie about a boy and girl that run away to meet santa because they need to wish for the boy's parents to not be held for ransom by african militants; when santa and the good fairy travel to africa to free the parents from the militants via hijinks, the kids fall into the hands of a cannibal giant whose going to eat the children but first he has a dog for a light snack

also its a musical, if that even needed saying

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

A sci-fi movie probably from the 90s or early 2000s, I only remember near the end there was a naked woman that was unable to move/paralyzed by someone, and they were on a spaceship that's near a planet/Sun, and there's a guy that plans to do something to her/sacrifice her?

Very unlikely but still a ~70% match - Supernova (2000), the very end of the movie has a nude man and woman on a spaceship discussing their potential annihilation from a nearby star going supernova, and it closes on them embracing inside a life support capsule over earth

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Oh, Supernova is one of the most impressive trainwrecks of the last few decades - huge stars on camera, impossible auteurs off camera, a budget in the high eight figures, and a complete nightmare behind the scenes. Walter Hill took his name off it, James Spader has disowned it, and the wikipedia page is 9/10ths "what the gently caress happened" by volume.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Movie (from the 2010s give or take) that's a quasi-biography about Elvis Presley but with a different name that, at one point, explicitly references that the character "could be the next Elvis Presley"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

Not walk hard?

Not a comedy or parody - more like an unauthorized biography with the serial numbers filed down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Warmer but nope.

The most notable part is the quote I listed comparing the character to Elvis - the movie is, and I cannot overstate this, hitting many plot beats from the real life of Elvis Presley. It is as though they were making a biographical film about Elvis Presley while changing the name and a few details. Another character saying that he could be the next Elvis Presley is notable because it implies that these two people lived the same lives in the same locations at the same time while looking and sounding alike but aren't the same person.

edit: found it and I was closer than I thought! The Identical (2014)

:cool:

Thanks everyone!

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 9, 2024