Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Probably not Runaway Train but I could see some of the details matching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
eBay's business model depends on it!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Giant Claw, pretty sure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright, I'll throw one out there that may or may not be real. The scene is of a character walking in some sort of a tomb/dungeon/etc. when the floor crumbles beneath them and they nearly fall through. We are then shown the reverse shot beneath them of a much larger hidden cavern with a completely different layer of the tomb/dungeon/etc. with the real path forward inside of it. The hidden space was a long rock bridge over a deep cave/chasm that led to a door or exit on the other side, and there may have been a dais on the bridge that held some kind of artifact.

This would have been mid-90s or before. I remember associating it with the Indiana Jones films as a kid, but later realized that the sequence wasn't in any of those films. It's possible that it's from another type of film, possibly a medieval movie or fantasy or even a cartoon, but I remember it as live-action. There were enough Jones ripoffs and parodies over the years that it easily could have been from one of those, or even more likely it could just be my child mind combining the "Word of God" and the "Leap from the Lion's Head" sequences of Last Crusade together. The latter seems most probable, but when I think back to the sequence in my head it's significantly different from those individual sequences.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Straw Dogs.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: figures that the first one of these I actually get is a movie I've never seen, but I watched a video about its Turkish ripoff a couple years ago and it sounded about right.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1xG-nrw98

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 16, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hell yeah good digging :cool:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He and Gerard Butler got screwed over by the others existence.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just looked up what's available on the online used bookseller I use. Should I buy the Phase IV novelization??

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a Liquid Sky novelization written by the screenwriter for $20 :stare:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nostalgia makes you enjoy lovely things, and man do I think back fondly on my old black and white TV with its little analog channel knob and its fuzzy-rear end picture that I got to put it my room :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Probably not it, but The Disney Channel had a long-running Alice show that had all kinds of nutso things like that going on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wow, terrific shrinking effect in that!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Here's one that's a bit vague, but it haunts me. I saw this awesome movie on I think SyFy network maybe 15 or more years ago. A cheesy noir-ish sci-fi and/or fantasy movie. The main thing I remember at the time is I thought the main character talked like Max Payne, everything he said was awesome and ridiculous with the hard boiled quips etc.

The movie was kind of cartoony, think say Hudson Hawk. It may have been straight to video or TV. I think he may have killed a husky villain and somebody may have mentioned chocolate cake, but I might be mixing that with something else. Also, it's not Cast A Deadly Spell or Max Knight UltraSpy.

A bit tough to nail down, so if you know a few it could be I'll take as many as you can think of. It just had haunted me for years, I remember googli ng it way back in the day and asking on IMDb or something and never found it.

Sounds like it could be News from D Street, an episode of Welcome to Paradox. Good episode of a bad show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYE1VF5Ud8I

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 19, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
drat. Was hoping I finally got an obscure one! Glad you enjoyed it. I found it very cool how it anticipated Dark City and The Matrix two years early.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Maaaaaaybe Time Bandits?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You think that's bad? I have an IMDB page.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like it could be YouTube's auto-stabilization algorithm. It can get a little screwy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Or TerrorVision. And for future reference, IMDB has a "Featured In" references section.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can confirm, that's some good content. No surprise as they're both kind of in the Gimlet house style, but reminds me a LOT of the Belt Buckle episode of Mystery Show which has a great ending, too.

e:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just listened to it, so I'd love to hear your take on it, especially what you're referring to that I've bolded. Was that the Prince thing? That reminded me so much about when Trent Reznor realized he'd accidentally ripped off, for lack of a better term, David Bowie's 'Crystal Japan' when he wrote 'A Warm Place'

Wasn't McCartney terrified that he'd yanked the melody to Yesterday from somewhere else?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 11, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Oh poo poo, I found it! Yeah, that's the one.

https://streamable.com/0g23e

I love Spade's Michael J. Fox.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Having a hard time not seeing Edward James Olmos in Blade Runner on the left.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Could it have been TV? There was lots of obscure TV fantasy for kids, and a frog man seems more fairy tale than fantasy. Fairy Tale Theatre had a frog prince episode so that might be it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Disco Pope posted:

Odd question, but is there an alternative version of that with a more new-wave style soundtrack? I had the VHS as a kid and the song (as I remember it) gets stuck in my head sometimes.

Yep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ-xWNNAt4c

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Russell Dalrymple?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
(yes)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
And if you're not then you're not my friend :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know if it's a movie or a television show, but I'm remembering a scene that's kind of a riff on the Stand By Me leeches scene where the characters are traveling through the wilderness in a lake, one goes "hold up guys leeches" and starts stripping down and taking them off his body when everyone else checks and is fine, and he kind of goes "wait they just got me?"

It's a short scene but I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it? Hopefully?

Life Aquatic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Super Seven Calling Cairo? Intro doesn't match your description, but I could see you getting the name confused. Try looking up a Eurospy list on Letterboxd and filtering by decade.

e: Here you go.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 11, 2022

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It was also on a bunch of Nickelodeon shows, iirc. It must have been part of whatever standard low-budget graphics package everyone was using.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty sure it's a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episode, but could have been a movie: an astronaut gets in a rocket and travels to another planet, lands there, and discovers that it is Earth. Black and white, 50s or 60s. I can't remember if the astronaut is from Earth and discovers that the other planet is also Earth, or if the twist was that he wasn't from Earth to begin with.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

happyhippy posted:

I think I know the one you are thinking about.
Its about another Earth, other side of the solar system, hidden by the sun, in the same orbit just always hidden as its on the opposite side of the sun.
Cant remember the drat name of it.

This sounds right, yeah. It's possible I'm conflating things but I do remember it being like that and in B&W.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Awesome, it's gotta be one of those. Thanks, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Yeah until they didn’t

I would argue "getting broken" is very much a glasses thing, if my experience says anything.