Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the only reason Wallace wants them to have the ability to breed is economics and time. He doesn't want to have to directly colonize every world, he wants to be able to send a few out there and let them take care of the rest through breeding. They'd still be slaves of course, he has no interest in giving them real freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Purple Monkey posted:

I have never seen or read a single Harry Potter but I am quite a big Alfonso Cuaron fan, can I skip straight to Prisoner of Azkaban and be able to follow the plot?

Not really. At that point you really just need to know that

A. Harry Potter is an orphan and he attends wizard school.

B. There's an evil wizard named Voldemort that everyone is afraid might return one day(spoiler alert: he does)

C. Voldemort has a special interest in Harry Potter for reasons that will become clearer as the series goes on

That's about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who is also not a big Harry Potter fan (after not really digging the first book years before and not remembering anything from it) I made Prisoner of Azkaban my first movie of the series based on Internet Advice. I was never confused, but I did quickly realize that Harry Potter fans wildly exaggerate how much of his directorial style made it into the film. It never felt distinct from the subsequent films in the series to me—though admittedly I was only half-interested when I was watching them based on how much I enjoyed the supposed "best" of the series.

It's not really that it feels like a Cuaron film specifically, but it's very jarring to go from two Chris Columbus directed films to Prisoner of Azkaban if you watch them back to back. The Columbus films feel like 90s kids movies, they're very flat, whereas Prisoner of Azkaban feels like a modern blockbuster.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also some directors are much more directly involved in cinematography than others. Like Kubrick was famously a photographer before he got into directing films so of course he always exerted a lot of control over that aspect of the production. Some directors can actually talk to their cinematographer or lighting man on their level about the technical stuff and others really can't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

I watched Nightbreed last night and assumed it didn’t make much sense because I was watching the famously chopped up theatrical cut, but I guess Prime has the Director’s cut. Is there any logic or explanation in one of the many cuts as to who ends up in Midian? At one point they imply that they’re just monster fairy folk or whatever, then it seems to go by vampire rules, but that one guy shows up there after cutting his face off and dying with no real explanation

I don't remember if the Director's Cut answers your specific question, but if you're hoping it will make the movie feel more complete and/or coherent overall then you'll probably be disappointed. Barker just had extremely high ambitions for the resources he had to work with, for me Nightbreed is a movie that really needed like a legit blockbuster budget to be fully realized.