Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Porgy and Bess has all sorts of issues that are likely. It's unlikely the camera negative and other prime elements are gone (just prints), but a 1959 65mm production will undoubtedly have severe fading issues (like Spartacus, One-Eyed Jacks, and North by Northwest), if it wasn't stored well it could have vinegar syndrome.

Library of Congress lists an archival copyright registration 35mm print in their holdings that seems complete, but it's probably faded (not listed as ib tech).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I'm just surprised it is listed as an extremely rare lost film when there is a DVD of it that I was able to watch with little trouble. The version I watched is twenty minutes shorter than the running time listed on Wikipedia (and is low quality and has opening title credits in a different aspect ratio), so maybe it doesn't count as a "complete" version of the film.

A lot of times, people refer to "lost films" that have extant film elements and prints, they just haven't been in circulation for a very long time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mrs. Doubtfire is complete horseshit the moment you actually pay attention to how gross of a film it really is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen it since the 90s, but I saw a tweet the other day saying something like "if you were a single mother working full time and dating Pierce Brosnan, why on earth wouldn't you let your ex have the kids on weekends?"

Not even that, the movie begins with Robin Williams doing the voice track for a fully completed animated cartoon live and on the fly. :rolleyes:

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 10, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BisonDollah posted:

I remember a few years ago a story that Harold Lloyd was in the KKK doing the rounds on film news sites. I can't find a link to it for the life of me now, was this a hoax - or a dream?

Lloyd was a horndog, though. Lots of affairs and according to Hal Roach had chronic VD. He was friends with Russ Meyer and loved taking 3-D nude photographs of women. Though, it's now thought that Lloyd's infidelity drove his wife into alcoholism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spermando posted:

In Blackkklansman, the antisemite guy wants to see Flip's penis because he suspects he's Jewish, but aren't like 90% of American men circumcised? I'm not American, but that's what I've been led to believe.

I'd assume an antisemitic klansman wouldn't be that bright.