Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lots and lots of actors started out in low budget junk that's barely been seen and it's usually not talked about or considered to be in their oeuvre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Skwirl posted:

You poor child. Any sort of serial fiction you should almost always read/watch in order of publication, regardless of how the timeline jumps around in the story.

For maximum confusion the order that the books were actually written is even more off than the chronological order IIRC.

Chrpno posted:

Yes, but Shane doesn't die. I was thinking of something more final.

The Great Silence (1968)
The Shootist (1976)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fenix down posted:

I just started watching L'avventura, and the framing of even the simplest of scenes is just impeccable - reminds me of Kurosawa or Tarkovsky. Now my temptation is to go all "they don't make em like this any more," but I'm sure they do.

So my question is - what are the most old school films today in terms of their blocking and framing? I thought of a few that may fit the bill - Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Pain & Glory, and The Lighthouse - but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

The following Wes Anderson films are perfectly meticulous:

-The Royal Tenenbaums
-The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
-Moonrise Kingdom
-The Grand Budapest Hotel

A couple of older ones that are also impeccable:

-Hiroshima My Love (1959)
-Last Year at Marienbad (1961)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm planning to watch Deep Red and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage soon.

I noticed they're both on Tubi in English but I'm not sure if they're dubbed/partially dubbed. The Deep Red opening seems like it was filmed in English and then probably dubbed into Italian and vice-versa for The Bird with the Crystal Plumage. Or were they both hybrid films where some actors spoke Italian and others English?

Basically I'll just get them on DVD later if they were those hybrid language ones or mainly recorded in Italian. But if they were mostly English originally I may watch them on Tubi.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 27, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was watching Daughters of Darkness on Tubi recently and noticed an oddity. The film has an OAR of 1.66:1 but they stretched it to 1.85:1 so everyone and everything is slightly wider. I've seen this on TV shows before but never on physical media.

Even the blu-ray does this:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/daughters.htm

Zillions of films have been put on disc in the wrong aspect ratio (always by cropping) but this is the first time I recall seeing something stretched on a BD like that.

Anyone know of others?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was watching Holy Motors on Tubi but turned it off halfway through because they blurred out the nudity.

Anyone know if the region 1 DVD is censored as well?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, it appears the BD is uncensored so the DVD probably is as well.

Either way it's a strange situation as I haven't seen something like this in a long time. Probably when many of the characters in Showgirls had clothing rotoscoped on. But that was on regular cable and not streaming.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I just found out about the heavy rewrites to the Matrix sequels...

Is there detail on this anywhere? I googled and couldn't find anything really.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Many years ago I was planning to watch Cabiria (1914) but I'd heard that a restored (three hour version) was screened back ~2006 and was going to be released on media eventually. But I can't find anything about this so I'm guessing it never happened. Anyone know anything about this?

YouTube has various versions running two to 2.5 hours so I might just watch one of those. I did the same thing with Greed but I doubt that full version will ever be found. But with this one I know for a fact there's a 3 hour version somewhere on film.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

Asides from those, are there any other obvious ones I'm missing? I'm also interested in blatant misleading retitling for other markets to, like the Spanish film Night of the Seagulls being sold as Return of the Evil Dead, at least in the UK.

This video covers Zombie films pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZoqZxgw7HU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I finished watching Satan's Tango recently. It seems like some things are left open-ended. But I'm curious if I missed something or if these issues are detailed more in the book:

What does Irimias need with explosives?

Why does Irimias write letters to the police about the villagers?