Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wallace wants a slave race who can multiply and make him more slaves for his own glory and for humanity to spread to the stars as slavesters. The one-eyed lady wants replicants to be considered human beings because they are. The two do not have the same goals, despite both wanting replicants to be able to breed.

e: As for loving up Rachael, the point was it wasn't actually a clone, just a flawed lookalike. And her eye color was wrong because there's an eye theme going on.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd imagine there are a lot of people standing close by who have a vested interest in not allowing it to escalate to that place from an optics standpoint.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A good number of the bigger character actors could be arguably up there, like Buscemi or Walken or whatnot. Though they haven't slummed it as much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
99% probability that it was to make it more "accessible" to dumb-dumbs in test screenings who wrote "I was confused for most of the movie :("

Congrats for being able to watch it the first time without getting spoiled! When I first saw it I didn't have access to the director's cut, but CineD told me to just cover my ears for the first minute or whatnot so I made it out unscathed, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How do digital intermediates get "printed" back onto celluloid?

e: ah here we go! And here. Well, if anyone happens to have any interesting documentary videos/film extras that cover the process I'd be interested.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 20, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Because loving and killing are cool.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Purple Monkey posted:

I have never seen or read a single Harry Potter but I am quite a big Alfonso Cuaron fan, can I skip straight to Prisoner of Azkaban and be able to follow the plot?

As someone who is also not a big Harry Potter fan (after not really digging the first book years before and not remembering anything from it) I made Prisoner of Azkaban my first movie of the series based on Internet Advice. I was never confused, but I did quickly realize that Harry Potter fans wildly exaggerate how much of his directorial style made it into the film. It never felt distinct from the subsequent films in the series to me—though admittedly I was only half-interested when I was watching them based on how much I enjoyed the supposed "best" of the series.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 7, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, he gets a lifetime pass for writing Gremlins, but his ratio of bad to good and the length of time since he's done anything interesting puts him firmly in the "don't bother to ever get excited about anything he's making" category.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's the closest anyone's ever gotten to convincing me to watch Ghosts of Mars. I really love how 60s TV often feels like you're watching a high-budget stage play.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just never look up bit part actors' Wikipedia pages. It's just too sad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

What does the director of an animated film actually do? Are they just kind of like a general oversight person to see everything coming together at all parts?

Yes. That's what the director on any project does.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 10, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
People mythologize the job of a director to a weird degree, but it's similar to being the boss at any company. This is true regardless of what type of production it is. You hire the best people for every job on the production and then trust them to do those jobs to the best of their ability. Meanwhile, you oversee and course correct everything when necessary. On set, directors work with the actors and crew to guide them, but that's only one relatively minor slice of the director's actual work.

Believe it or not, yelling "Action!" is not a particularly notable part of the job.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've always imagined Soderbergh to as close to a one-man operation as you can get, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What are some great movies by directors who never made another great movie? I don't care about stuff like The Night of the Hunter by directors who didn't produce a lot, but more like movies like Training Day, where some middling director who has a ton of credits was never able to come close to the success of their most popular film.

A weirdly controversial opinion on this forum, but Event Horizon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

I love horror hosts, but there’s not many around anymore and some are hard to find, like Svengoolie is only on over the air TV, I haven’t been able to find him on cable.

Is there anyone that does a horror host thing via like, Twitch or anything? I’ve tried searching on google but I can only ever get results for old hosts that aren’t on anymore.

There are so many low, low, low rent ones on YouTube and sadly none of them are worth it. I have no idea why nobody of this generation has cracked it and made it their own.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's definitely negatively affected by everyone having to riff on the same dozen or so watchable public domain horror flicks rather than having a cheap horror movie package to play with. But mostly it's all just super low effort/low talent folks thinking you can just ramble on in a spooky voice/makeup and that's good enough. There's one with decent production values called Creature Features that actually gets decent guests, but to me it completely lacks and charm or life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This more a painting question than a film question, but the painting in Thomas Crowne Affair would be severely damaged by his briefcase contraption, right? Or can some eras of paintings take that kind of bending without cracking the paint or damaging the canvas?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

ever tried stealing a pool cue by walking it out?

Who hasn't :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Is there a “technical” thread that goes into the filming part of movies? I have a question

You gotta take the lens cap off